Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I've whupped the campaign a couple times in normal as either Dwarves or Empire, but now I'm embarking on a Greenskin campaign and... poo poo's difficult. How should I level Grimgor? I've focused on the yellow tree for now. Is that a mistake? Ended up confederating with the Orcs that border the purple dwarves but it's hard to make money with just one full stack and one half stack.

Yellow+Red for Grimgor, I'd actually suggest going yellow first because it will help a lot in the early battles and Waaugh is as good or better an active army buff as Stand Your Ground. Plus the Generic Orc redline is fairly eh so it's not like you're missing out on Honest Steel or anything. You have more than enough points to top out both lines either way.

Greenskins in campaign play take a bit of adjusting to get used to, just remember that aggression is almost always the right play and get to 17 units asap so you can start spawning free Waaaugh armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Grimgor is supposed to kill 500 guys in a battle by himself no matter what. It's kind of his thing. For most LLs, the mods that give you more skill points are crucial not only for ease of use but also because Lords are supposed to be very substantial on their own.

Has anyone found a mod or something that prevents Lords from getting knocked down all the loving time? Sigvald gets bonked around by everything.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

jokes posted:

Grimgor is supposed to kill 500 guys in a battle by himself no matter what. It's kind of his thing. For most LLs, the mods that give you more skill points are crucial not only for ease of use but also because Lords are supposed to be very substantial on their own.

Has anyone found a mod or something that prevents Lords from getting knocked down all the loving time? Sigvald gets bonked around by everything.

Idk how hard coded these games are but that seems like he'd need to be classified as a heavier unit

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

verbal enema posted:

Idk how hard coded these games are but that seems like he'd need to be classified as a heavier unit

Yeh his mass would need to be increased which I THINK is beyond modding

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
how dare you try to make sigvald weigh more you goddamned philistines

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Ammanas posted:

Playing with Grimgor (and all lords) is much more satisfying with expanded skill trees + more skill points. Vanilla doesnt offer a deep enough customization of skills for your lords imo. Also RIP molays

Are there any specific mods you'd recommend for that? There's a few thousand to pick from it looks like.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Cultivating mass bro. Making chaotic gains

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

vorebane posted:

Are there any specific mods you'd recommend for that? There's a few thousand to pick from it looks like.

I enjoy '33 new skills for lords' + 'extra lord levels' (level 45 lords/3 points/level (2 for heroes))

Sometimes in very long campaigns armies with active generals, heroes or spellcasters end up with excessive points and nothing to put them into unfortunately so you have to disband and recruit a new one. But at that point you're so developed a new recruited hero is nearly max level anyway so no biggie.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Nah it's cultivating mass

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ammanas posted:

Cultivating mass bro. Making chaotic gains

You mother fucker!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
lmao

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Fauxtool posted:

people keep pronouncing it relik-way for some reason but like super bad french where the a is barely there

It was always called a Grail Reliquae in tabletop idk if CA have changed that

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Ammanas posted:

Also RIP molays

No joke, Balthasar Gelt is my favorite Legendary Lord but lore of metal is an enormous pile of garbage and easily the worst magic path on top of Gelt being a mediocre combatant and not even able to get a Gryphon he's just strictly a worse wizard

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Any mods that make Lore of metal a little on the OP side would be welcomed ; chaos sorcerers still wouldn't be that big of a threat in campaign but Gelt would have a rather unique style of magic significantly stronger than his mage counterparts.

He also really needs 1 or 2 free spells like Wurzzag and Druthu have. That way having another wizard or two doesn't cut into your winds of magic reserve as badly.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Mod comment sections are the best place to Make the Old World Great Again

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Welp we won MWNL 4, enjoy your Isabella DLC peeps

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
WE WON! WEEE WOOON!!!!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Some more Reddit posts about Brettonia stuff from the event.

quote:

Hi guys, I'm not sure if it was streamed, but I just watched CA's presentation on day 2 of the Weekender and I think there was some more info that I've not seen on Reddit yet.

The green Knight: You can chose when he joins you in campaign. You get to summon him once each time you advance a level in Chivalry. Not sure how long he sticks around. In custom battles, he's a "Legendery Hero" so not a lord, but you can only have one of him - he's very expensive and very tanky.

Peasant Archers: Different arrow types are available, fire arrows which stop regening units (Vargulf etc) and poison arrows similar to goblins.

There is a unique peasant economy mechanic. So as you have more peasants in your armies, farms produce less gold. Also, public order isn't a thing, instead there is a "Control mechanic" which functions similarly but I think it resulted in greenskin invasions rather than rebellions.

In the research trees there are pesant and knight trees. The knight tree also has techs which make confederation with other bretonnians easier if you want to avoid the chivalry penalties for civil war.

That's it, I'll comment if I remember anything else!

Also something about them looking at making more Legendary Lords into their own factions.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Are there any good, informative playthroughs on youtube? This is my first Total War game ever and I'm fairly lost.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

PCGamer has a stream going for Warhammer that just started https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/5uytyn/tww_talk_on_the_official_pcgamer_stream_in_5/

I don't know what they're going to show, but if you're hungover and bored on a Sunday like I am you may want to waste your time watching this.

edit/ Bretonnia campaign gameplay!

- Chivalry meter that builds up ala the Grudge meter but handled differently. You're able to call upon the Green Knight for every chivalry 'stage' you hit. The last stage of chivalry gives unit experience for all forces, Lords are recruited at Rank 5, Reduction in Vampire and Chaos corruption etc.

- New Units spotted thus far: Peasant Mob (Axe Infantry), Men-at-Arms (Sword Infantry), Grail Guardians (didn't catch what they were), Royal Pegasus Knights, Royal Hippogryph Knights, Blessed Trebuchet that shoots giant bags of holy water?

Also, calling the Peasant Mob axe infantry was a little bit of a stretch, they carry pitchforks and have the expendable trait. Bretonnia :swoon:

blindwoozie fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 19, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Looks like unit abilities are becoming more and more common. I'd like to see some of these abilities back ported to vanilla armies.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

- New Units spotted thus far: Peasant Mob (Axe Infantry), Men-at-Arms (Sword Infantry), Grail Guardians (didn't catch what they were), Royal Pegasus Knights, Royal Hippogryph Knights.

I think Grail Guardians are tier 5 infantry, didn't see their stats though.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

Looks like unit abilities are becoming more and more common. I'd like to see some of these abilities back ported to vanilla armies.

I think Dwarfs and Empire should have unit formations but I'm pretty much ok with how Greenskins and VC are now.

Chaos needs a massive overhaul for entirely different reasons.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
My friend got the game and tried chaos and found it pretty bland. What is the problem with them? Infantry blobs not fun?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

folytopo posted:

My friend got the game and tried chaos and found it pretty bland. What is the problem with them? Infantry blobs not fun?

Over half of their roster is outright missing, no specific god dedications, three entire lores of magic missing, confusing and unfun campaign mechanics, etc.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

folytopo posted:

Low replenishment on the campaign map, you cannot group your armies up because you take attrition which also feeds into the first problem of replenishment, no ambush stance so you cannot hide or bait enemy armies.

And yes on the battlefield its kind of hard to counter mounted skirmishers as chaos since most of your units are so damned slow, you technically can but its an exercise in frustration really.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

folytopo posted:

Their campaign is undercooked, CA said it themselves. Of all the campaigns it's the most boring to play. If you don't know to demolish the tribal marauder recruitment building immediately to go for chaos warriors it's even worse. When the chaos demons are added as a faction it should be an improvement.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

folytopo posted:

You know how the answer to every question about how to play correctly is "use ambush stance"? They don't have it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Plus Beastmen came out shortly afterwards and improved on Chaos' horde mechanics in every way.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Speaking of weird campaign mechanic decisions

Its always been strange to me that the Greenskins didn't have horde mechanics, especially when

1. There ARE Greenskin hordes in the game
2. They already had a system for the Great Migrators in Attila (where they could settle and Horde up through out the campaign) that they could have easily used for them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

LordAbaddon posted:

I think Dwarfs and Empire should have unit formations but I'm pretty much ok with how Greenskins and VC are now.

Chaos needs a massive overhaul for entirely different reasons.

Orcs need a revamp to make lower tier units viable. Skarsnik and the night gobbo warboss fixed the goblin units, but baseline orc boys are still utterly useless once you move onto big 'uns and black orcs. Low morale, lacking AP and no numbers advantage to give them an edge in any way. They are just a stepping stone to viable infantry options. And boar cavalry are just awful compared to squigs. So are trolls.
All goblin forces are hilariously fun however. I'd like to see some sword gobbos as well just to spice them up further

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I always feel like the training time for any decent unit on the Orc roster is pretty punishing. Two turns for Big 'uns is... not great.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Low tier orc stuff have to be weak because that's the trash you can get for free from Waaaghs.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd like to see some sword gobbos as well just to spice them up further

..............Night Goblins and Nasty Skulkers already exist tho

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pendent posted:

I always feel like the training time for any decent unit on the Orc roster is pretty punishing. Two turns for Big 'uns is... not great.

This is a huge one. One less turn for Big Uns and Black Orcs ala Green iz Best is a huge help.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

genericnick posted:

You know how the answer to every question about how to play correctly is "use ambush stance"? They don't have it.

The movement mechanics are super frustrating in general because they're both punitive and designed so that the AI can almost always avoid it so they exist only to punish mistakes by players.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

LordAbaddon posted:

Speaking of weird campaign mechanic decisions

Its always been strange to me that the Greenskins didn't have horde mechanics, especially when

1. There ARE Greenskin hordes in the game
2. They already had a system for the Great Migrators in Attila (where they could settle and Horde up through out the campaign) that they could have easily used for them

The Savage Orcs behave like that, they function as hordes and are capable of settling if they capture a Badlands/Mountain settlement. You can also see that they don't suffer attrition if you take out their last province and they have armies left, as they turn into hordes.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Greenskins units besides black orcs are kind of supposed to suck. You're meant to win with overwhelming numbers, not unit superiority, hence the constant free waaaaghs.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

ZearothK posted:

The Savage Orcs behave like that, they function as hordes and are capable of settling if they capture a Badlands/Mountain settlement. You can also see that they don't suffer attrition if you take out their last province and they have armies left, as they turn into hordes.

Its also literally what Grimgor does in the intro cinematic.

Was there ever a reason given why the main Greenskins couldn't do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

ZearothK posted:

I think Grail Guardians are tier 5 infantry, didn't see their stats though.

I managed to catch them, looks like they're T5 extra tanky Melee Cav, 120 armor, 56 Melee defense, some kind of blessing that makes them even tankier but kinda weak offensively for an endgame unit. The Fay Enchantress starts with one in her army and gets bonuses with them and other religious units (and peasants) looks like.

Now that I think about it, in 6th Edition Morgana could be fielded with a small unit of Grail Guardians (Just ordinary Grail Knights, stat-wise) as bodyguards, so it's pretty much CA taking that bit of flavor and making a new unit out of it.

Alberic...has a cool helmet? He seems way more ordinary than Louen or The Enchantress, hopefully he ends up being secretly cool.

The Brettonian campaign mechanics look amazing though. Basically gently caress all that conquer the world stuff, your goal is just to (eventually) unite Brettonia by crusading around randomly to pick fights with ugly people and being the most Chivalrous Mofo ever.

madmac fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 19, 2017

• Locked thread