Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

like i think a caliexit is a dumb idea but i can see why they would want to unlike brexit

hopefully it will eliminate all California tortillas and replace them with qudobas :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

California produces roughly 14% of the overall GDP of the USA, and gives a huge chunk more back to the federal government than it receives, making it the rich state helping to subsidize failing economies like my good ol state of ND

If they left, there's no way it wouldn't be Civil War 2. They're a hugely valuable asset and any resistance to being told "no" by the US over CalExit would prompt a military response of some sort. It would tank the US economy so hard that it would cause red states to flounder, and the global spending power of the dollar would plummet

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Desalinization is progressing really rapidly

Lol if you think a liberated California would be able to build any public works project over the deafening NIMBY clamor.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Squizzle posted:

djd assange return to hos peoplw, the swedes???

oh man that would be wild

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Excitement. Inspiration. Hope.

开心。激励。希望。

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

and i must meme posted:

there were reasons
one was xenophobia

and the other was because some people wanted the place to be a lovely tax haven

how'd that work out for them

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jose posted:

joementum has a lot to answer for. when did he last post?

he stopped posting after making this post on January 23rd, a couple hours before Trump began rapid-firing fascist EOs.

Joementum posted:

Huh, my campaign tactic of assuming I was going to win, refusing to campaign, and treating everyone with disdain didn't work.

Obviously Russia hacked the election.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

Lol if you think a liberated California would be able to build any public works project over the deafening NIMBY clamor.

They can't even raise their property taxes now.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

thecluckmeme posted:

California produces roughly 14% of the overall GDP of the USA, and gives a huge chunk more back to the federal government than it receives, making it the rich state helping to subsidize failing economies like my good ol state of ND

If they left, there's no way it wouldn't be Civil War 2. They're a hugely valuable asset and any resistance to being told "no" by the US over CalExit would prompt a military response of some sort. It would tank the US economy so hard that it would cause red states to flounder, and the global spending power of the dollar would plummet

then the USA would proceed to Red State it into the ground until it's a blasted wasteland like the rest

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

he stopped posting after making this post on January 23rd, a couple hours before Trump began rapid-firing fascist EOs.

Joementum: "there's no way Russia hacked the election"

IASIP TITLE CARD: "PUTIN RELEASES THE PISSTAPE"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yinlock posted:

then the USA would proceed to Red State it into the ground until it's a blasted wasteland like the rest

It would be immediately occupied by the military and essentially become a new state via oppression and deportations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

though i can't really understand the mindset of CEOs

its like dude, if you treat your employees well you might spend a bit more but you'll make way more back and everyone will be extremely loyal and love you. there is no actual tradeoff here, it's money and success for free

but no the first response to any kind of trouble is break into the nearest employee's house and elbow drop their baby

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yinlock posted:

its like dude, if you treat your employees well you might spend a bit more but you'll make way more back and everyone will be extremely loyal and love you

but no the first response to any kind of trouble is break into the nearest employee's house and elbow drop their baby

It's mainly because the US system and culture seems to encourage horrible robber baron type behavior.

Especially for how the US tax code changed dramatically over time, in the 50s the top bracket was 90%

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

SKULL.GIF posted:

looooooooooooooooool

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Playing Fallout 4, I could see this as a plausible sequel to our reality. It even has lovely writing like reality!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Yinlock posted:

its like dude, if you treat your employees well you might spend a bit more but you'll make way more back and everyone will be extremely loyal and love you

it's a tragedy of the commons/race to the bottom dynamic

you know, the sort of thing governments exist to eliminate

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
TRUMP will stop this American Carnage!!!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

yikes

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

etalian posted:

It's mainly because the US system and culture seems to encourage horrible robber baron type behavior.

Especially for how the US tax code changed dramatically over time, in the 50s the top bracket was 90%

i feel like there might be a flaw in basing your entire economy around the prisoner's dilemma

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yinlock posted:

its like dude, if you treat your employees well you might spend a bit more but you'll make way more back and everyone will be extremely loyal and love you. there is no actual tradeoff here, it's money and success for free

loyalty and love from poor people doesn't get you yachts and whores

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The new nation of california would be in trouble since it would have its supply of midwest transplant women cut off along with other problems like water rights issues.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

like i think a caliexit is a dumb idea but i can see why they would want to unlike brexit
There are a number of reasons people wanted to brexit

Reason 1: xenophobes

Reason 2: fatuous hippies annoyed at being (part-) represented by a combination of protest votes and technocrats which has seriously empowered the far right due to the technocrats' myopic lust for power. Do you want to give Victor Orban or Nigel Farage an army? No. But Jean-Claude Juncker reckons Europe needs an army, and those are the kind of guys who are doing well in Euro elections atm!

Reason 3: misguided anticapitalists who were against British membership of any number of free trade deals + the neoliberal repudiation of state aid/nationalisation as a positive thing, but forgot that neither Labour nor the Tories nor even the SNP, Plaid, the LDs, SDLP or even probably Sinn Fein would actually stop free trade deals or nationalise the steel industry or similar.

Prob others too but those are the main 3.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

tacodaemon posted:

oh man that would be wild

its like the johnny cash song, "that hurts"

what have i begun
my swedish friend

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

CheesyDog posted:

loyalty and love from poor people doesn't get you yachts and whores

given the republicans current state i think you'll find that it gets you those things very easily

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

jBrereton posted:

There are a number of reasons people wanted to brexit

Reason 1: xenophobes

Reason 2: fatuous hippies annoyed at being (part-) represented by a combination of protest votes and technocrats which has seriously empowered the far right due to the technocrats' myopic lust for power. Do you want to give Victor Orban or Nigel Farage an army? No. But Jean-Claude Juncker reckons Europe needs an army, and those are the kind of guys who are doing well in Euro elections atm!

Reason 3: misguided anticapitalists who were against British membership of any number of free trade deals + the neoliberal repudiation of state aid/nationalisation as a positive thing, but forgot that neither Labour nor the Tories nor even the SNP, Plaid, the LDs, SDLP or even probably Sinn Fein would actually stop free trade deals or nationalise the steel industry or similar.

Prob others too but those are the main 3.

yeah i know a lot of the votes were people just trying to spite cameron

seems familiar somehow

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Squizzle posted:

its like the johnny cash song, "that hurts"

what have i begun
my swedish friend

I bork myself today
To see if I still bork

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

Yinlock posted:

i feel like there might be a flaw in basing your entire economy around the prisoner's dilemma

yeah i think it was in an adam curtis documentary where they explain that the basis of neoliberalism is hoping everyone is equally sociopathic so it balances out

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
peeps are still not understanding that the political divide is no longer left vs right but global hegemony vs no global hegemony

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

yeah i know a lot of the votes were people just trying to spite cameron

seems familiar somehow
To be fair he did spend 6 years trying to spite the disabled, women, everywhere north of Cambridge, old, young, etc. so it was really the comeback from some punks he roughed up way back.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

But if you don't want to treat your inferiors like human garbage why even take a position of power

They totally spend ridiculous amounts of money training and hiring for their poo poo revolving door positions because they get off on making people miserable, not because it's cost effective

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Baloogan posted:

peeps are still not understanding that the political divide is no longer left vs right but global hegemony vs no global hegemony

globalism and isolationism is still left/right sorry

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

jBrereton posted:

To be fair he did spend 6 years trying to spite the disabled, women, everywhere north of Cambridge, old, young, etc. so it was really the comeback from some punks he roughed up way back.

oh he totally deserved it but i wish there wasn't quite so much crossfire

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Yinlock posted:

the only thing that matters is more wealth. You're overpaying your employees, they don't deserve what they make. Everyone of them would take everything from you in a heartbeat. Taking as much as you possibly can from them is what anyone who's competitive in business would do. In fact, it's how you got as far ahead of them in the first place.*

*this is me trying to think like a modern ceo

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Yinlock posted:

globalism and isolationism is still left/right sorry

this is only because the right was able to pivot.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

Ah the good old left/right divide'll be back just like global hegemony vs not that was kicking around as a concept before it "went away" for a few years.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Baloogan posted:

no war but class war

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Baloogan posted:

I bork myself today
To see if I still bork

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=RhRkAzaDuyg&video_start=0&audio=vt1Pwfnh5pc&audio_start=0

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/19/democrats-resistance-donald-trump-we-will-replace-you :getin:

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

God drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

If Calexit did happen I'll probably try to convince my wife to move to Scotland because they'll likely have seceded by that point any way

• Locked thread