Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I remember reading once that one of his primary motivations when writing a story was to deliver something that's never been seen before. And it works. He offers highly audience-alienating premises (incest, pedophilia, heroes who are anything but, magnificent robot asses, etc.) but does it in a way that almost never feels gratuitous. Until recently, he was known as the guy who wears the creepy mask, but now people are starting to sit up and take notice of the writing. In an industry where yearly franchises, remakes and reboots are a fact of life, that's becoming a big deal, as well it should. It helps that the translation and voice acting has been top-notch all the way.

Augus posted:

It's weird how Yoko Taro's role is being emphasized more now, it used to be a behind-the-scenes thing that only nerds like us picked up on but then E3 happened and here he is just walking out onstage wearing a crazy mask.

Crazy works sometimes.

Nina posted:

You just kinda sign into a wordless agreement that Taro can materialize in your house and drink all the beer in the fridge when you buy his games. That's just what life is like as a DOD fan

You're lucky, last time he emerged from the screen, he wanted to watch Requiem For a Dream, but with the subtitles from Wreck-It Ralph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

quote:

And such advanced years present the opportunity to include technology that would have been incredibly out of place in the first Nier—technology like enormous, transforming mechs.

"The dude that designed those wasn't even a mecha designer," says Yoko. He continues, jovially: "He's actually a UI designer. But he just loves mechs, so we let him sit down and do it. He worked so hard he made himself ill—but he had the biggest grin on his face the entire time." He playfully adds that the designer "begged" to work on the model, clearly eager to make the sleek, transforming robot we were introduced to in the late-2016 demo.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/hardcore-girls-and-bullet-hell-a-conversation-with-the-makers-of-nier-automata

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I remember reading once that one of his primary motivations when writing a story was to deliver something that's never been seen before. And it works. He offers highly audience-alienating premises (incest, pedophilia, heroes who are anything but, magnificent robot asses, etc.) but does it in a way that almost never feels gratuitous. Until recently, he was known as the guy who wears the creepy mask, but now people are starting to sit up and take notice of the writing. In an industry where yearly franchises, remakes and reboots are a fact of life, that's becoming a big deal, as well it should. It helps that the translation and voice acting has been top-notch all the way.

The thing is those alienating premises always serve a purpose within the story. With Drakengard it was to specifically alienate you from the cast to fit the theme that a person to enjoy the kind of killing usually portrayed in a videogame would have to be deranged. With Nier it's more sympathetic and the off the norm qualities of the characters are explored from the angle of how it affects their lives as social outliers be it through a bodily abnormality or a permanent injury.

I really hope Automata can live up to the rest of his best work.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

All of these interviews are really good and make me want to be friends with all three of the main PR people.

This one is good too, especially the end bit about Dragon Quest and the discount sword.
http://www.rpgsite.net/interview/5299-nier-automata-interview-square-s-niche-kings-on-their-trip-into-a-robotic-future

I have decided actually that Yoko Taro is my best friend even if he doesn't know I exist. My BFF. I'll fall off a building and die for his amusement anytime.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Now watch as it turns out that's the only way to access the final ending in Automata.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I have decided actually that Yoko Taro is my best friend even if he doesn't know I exist. My BFF. I'll fall off a building and die for his amusement anytime.

:same:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Why do I get such heavy vibes that 9S is gonna turn out to be an antagonist in the end.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

Nina posted:

Why do I get such heavy vibes that 9S is gonna turn out to be an antagonist in the end.

I don't think we've had to stab the adorable boy character (and, by extension, ourselves) in the heart yet, so I could see it happening.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

2B will protect her little brother 9S.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

dazat posted:

I had a translation up on my Tumblr, but took it down when I realized I had accidentally omitted two paragraphs describing the androids of all things. I just re-upped the new, completed version: https://medium.com/@khodazat/nier-novella-the-flame-of-prometheus-bdb8738933cf#.fwfswtiqr

It's written by Yoko himself and ties directly into Automata, so definitely worth a read! Spoilers for NieR if you haven't finished the original yet.

Speaking of translations, I know the Japanese Black Box edition comes with a book containing NieR-related novellas (not included in the English version). From what I've seen, most of them seem to be reprints of the stories from Grimoire NieR, but if there are any new stories I'd be glad to translate them if a kind soul is willing to provide me with scans (I missed the deadline for ordering a Black Box for myself, sob).

There's also an Automata guidebook coming out in late March that will apparently feature Yoko-penned short stories. I'll be looking out for those as well!

Oh hey thanks! It was nice to re-read this, and I can't help but wonder if the story will be referenced in game at all.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

It drat better be

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If you own FFXV, apparently the newest patch added Nier music to the ingame radio

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Augus posted:

If you own FFXV, apparently the newest patch added Nier music to the ingame radio

Appropriate, as I've listened to Nier's music the most while driving in my car.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Apparently the Japanese release will also contain English subs and the dub.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Even more of a reason to just leave the internet before the 23rd then

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Augus posted:

drat, they really hate everyone who bought that game on launch.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Please just confirm the PC date already. If it's months off I don't think I have a choice but to live the story through someone else. I just know some comment somewhere will spoiler a really important plot point near/from the end game if it'll take long enough.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Augus posted:

Motherfuck, I may boot it up for an hour or two just for that.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Gameplay Corpse bodies of other players will show up in the world like dark souls or nioh and can be repaired to help you. http://gamestalk.net/post-75231/

I don't know if it was mentioned before but one of the reasons to recover your body will be that some of your plug-in chips are left on it. Post doesn't say whether or not online bodies will let you take their chips.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 20, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

Please just confirm the PC date already. If it's months off I don't think I have a choice but to live the story through someone else. I just know some comment somewhere will spoiler a really important plot point near/from the end game if it'll take long enough.

Apparently, today's Dengeki stream confirmed that the PC version is still being worked on, but due to a recent game being cracked unexpectedly (Almost certainly referring to Resi 7's Denuvo) they need to re-evaluate the piracy situation and go from there but that it won't be long. Not the answer I'd have wanted, but I think it's not an especially unreasonable one from the view point of a publisher.

I believe the music in FFXIV is just Song of the Ancients Fate and the studio version of The Weight of the World (J'Nique Nicole version), which is the Automata theme.

CrashScreen posted:

must not cancel existing EU physical pre-order to play a couple of weeks early for a lot more money on yen cards i can't spare must not cancel existing EU physical pre-order to play a couple of weeks early for a lot more money on yen cards i can't spare

Finally, there was that 15 second trailer a couple of days ago. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOD_M_KGAzo) That one was a "Censored" version.

This is the uncensored version. The ending of this trailer is way more "spoilery" than anything up to this point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTa7M2qyLN4

Full Taro :getin:

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 20, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

lets hang out posted:

Gameplay Corpse bodies of other players will show up in the world like dark souls or nioh and can be repaired to help you. http://gamestalk.net/post-75231/

Haha this is cool and good.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Nina posted:

Real talk it makes me feel warm and fuzzy that Taro is popular now and gets to make a game that'll probably sell a ton because he's deserved it and hasn't gotten the recognition he should have during his career in gaming. :unsmith:

They did a really good job addressing the first Nier's issues. They got an action game developer to work on the sequel. Akihiko Yoshida and other popular artists were hired to make more marketable characters. The game is shown off at various events and live streams leading up to its release.

It's not too unusual for publishers to hire the right talent to make a great sequel. However, it's unusual for a niche bomb to get that much support for its sequel.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

This is the uncensored version. The ending of this trailer is way more "spoilery" than anything up to this point

gently caress. I hate that I called it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

Probably more to it than meets the eye, with it being in a real barren area and him fading in and out like a hologram, but god-drat if I'm not desperate to see where he's taking us this time

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for this and 9S will stay best boy.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Nina posted:

You may be right. But we still know gently caress all and got 0 context for that shot so you could still easily be wrong.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I only heard about NieR because someone mentioned it in the ME:A thread and now I'm fascinated by this incredibly weird setting. It hearkens back to the best of early Japanese RPGs that combined sci-fi and fantasy with a cosmology that's like, by the way, souls definitely exist. Is there a thing that succinctly sums up the whole story, which endings carry forward into sequels, etc?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

I only heard about NieR because someone mentioned it in the ME:A thread and now I'm fascinated by this incredibly weird setting. It hearkens back to the best of early Japanese RPGs that combined sci-fi and fantasy with a cosmology that's like, by the way, souls definitely exist. Is there a thing that succinctly sums up the whole story, which endings carry forward into sequels, etc?

http://nier2.com/timeline.html

Take note that there's a ridiculous amount of out of game material and there's crazy poo poo like entirety of Drakengard 3 the game not leading into any other games.

If you actually want the full stories there are some pretty nifty LPs of them here http://lparchive.org/author/The%20Dark%20Id

Nina fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 20, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I still wish that they could have gone with the idea that the third Drakengard game would be Drakengard 4 and the story was them looking for Drakengard 3.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

Got a source for this?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The JP pre-load is live.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

The JP pre-load is live.

TO THE BUNKER!!

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

CrashScreen posted:

Really? Why would the NA version come out two weeks later then?
I need proof before I crack and make a JP PSN account to buy it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's some twitter pic of a support page listing 6 languages going around. But confirmed or not I just bought $100 of jp psn cards :f5:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Well, it's been fun, friendos, but now''s about the point where I bow out. See you on Robuttpocalypse Day.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Got a source for this?

HellCopter posted:

Really? Why would the NA version come out two weeks later then?
I need proof before I crack and make a JP PSN account to buy it.

This is about as close of a source as I can get. I'm waiting to buy JP PSN cards for a proper confirmation.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Gibbering posted:

TO THE BUNKER!!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Well, it's been fun, friendos, but now''s about the point where I bow out. See you on Robuttpocalypse Day.

Ditto. See you one day when I have the game 100%'d

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pretty safe for a day or two. Not likely to get an imported physical disk before PSN unlocks the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Genocyber posted:

Got a source for this?

I mean, the demo did