Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
How was the F-E today? On a scale of Phoenix to Suzuka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Sebastien Buemi won comfortably

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

How was the F-E today? On a scale of Phoenix to Suzuka

I really like watching Formula E and I have watched every race so far but it's never really lived up to the very first race where the leader and 2nd place crashed into each other on the final corner on the final lap.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

GutBomb posted:

I really like watching Formula E and I have watched every race so far but it's never really lived up to the very first race where the leader and 2nd place crashed into each other on the final corner on the final lap.

Honestly, it's difficult for any sport to deal with peaking on day 1.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

GutBomb posted:

Spoiler that poo poo, man.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w46L9wnsZow

p. thick

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yesterday Wolff announced that there would be equal treatment for both drivers. Today Lewis reached peak petulence, in fact I don't think I've ever seen anything quite so petulant in all my years of watching Formula 1. https://motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-calls-for-an-end-to-unfair-intra-team-data-sharing-874877/

I think he's forgetting that Karting wasn't televised.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Goddamn what a loving bitch boy.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh god the channel 5 formula E coverage is cheap trash

e: DJ just squire has a nice shirt though

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 19, 2017

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

learnincurve posted:

Yesterday Wolff announced that there would be equal treatment for both drivers. Today Lewis reached peak petulence, in fact I don't think I've ever seen anything quite so petulant in all my years of watching Formula 1. https://motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-calls-for-an-end-to-unfair-intra-team-data-sharing-874877/

He complains about the simulator because he never uses the drat thing. I wonder if he's ever re-watched a race or a move, surely he would consider that unsporting.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

learnincurve posted:

He's the guy in group projects who finally contributes one little thing at the end and wants to stamp his name all over that section and call it my own and what do you mean I never help?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

learnincurve posted:

Just loving :lol: that he actually feels this threatened by Bottas.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Robot driver willing to live next door to the factory and put in 8 hour days pouring over data in order to extract the maximum from a car he is helping to develop, quite probably to his own driving style? No not threatening at all to a man who spends his day cocking about living a jet set lifestyle.

Lewis is pretty much James Hunt at this point. Only James Hunt got sick of having to rescue his friends from burning cars and attending funerals and thought gently caress that I'm out.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Just to play Devil's advocate here: there's often a lot of complaints that technology in F1 lessens the effect of driver skill. This is a concrete way to reward the kind of natural talent fans say they want to see. It's totally unworkable and he's suggesting it because he's annoyed that Rosberg won a World Championship, but I think there's merit to the idea of not being obliged to prop up a less skilled teammate.

Also you guys really need to get a thesaurus because the overuse of the word petulant is getting pretty wearing

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

djssniper posted:

Formula E is so loving bland, it's hard to watch

That's what the Indian is for.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

learnincurve posted:

Only James Hunt got sick of having to rescue his friends from burning cars and attending funerals and thought gently caress that I'm out.
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Are Niki could stand the heat.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

Just to play Devil's advocate here: there's often a lot of complaints that technology in F1 lessens the effect of driver skill. This is a concrete way to reward the kind of natural talent fans say they want to see. It's totally unworkable and he's suggesting it because he's annoyed that Rosberg won a World Championship, but I think there's merit to the idea of not being obliged to prop up a less skilled teammate.

I agree but any sort of move to focus more on skill and less on technology ends up being a non-starter for a very vocal group of people. I don't believe for a second he's being genuine about this though and not putting this out there to drive home his own message.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Carth Dookie posted:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Surely the difference between good and bad drivers is more pronounced that the latter simply not knowing what the former is doing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The problem with having a magical supercar capable of winning every race is that anyone can win in it. Someone (I think it was Wolff) said last year that there are only about 3/10th difference between the best driver and the worst drivers, so if you get a Webbah as your team mate then huzzah you win the lottery. If the Webbah then decides to ignore his new wife and baby to dedicate all his waking hours to practicing and finding out your weaknesses and strengths, and you visit the factory twice a year for photo opertunities then you are hosed.

Lewis' problem is that he wants to be Senna but both Senna and Prost in thier hayday were development machines who thought about racing 24/7 at all times and lived in the factory.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Tsaedje posted:

Also you guys really need to get a thesaurus because the overuse of the word petulant is getting pretty wearing

The answer to your complaint, surely

Carth Dookie posted:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Tsaedje posted:

quote:

(of a person or their manner) childishly sulky or bad-tempered.
"he was moody and petulant"

hth

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
thesaurus
θɪˈsɔːrəs
noun
a book that lists words in groups of synonyms and related concepts.

hth

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

My reading comprehension knows no bounds, please forgive me Tsaedje :doh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bottas will be poo poo in the Merc compared to Lewis, but the real hero of 2017 will be Alonso.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I can't see anything other than Bottas always being exactly three tenths slower than Hamilton in quali, regardless of the track or conditions. It will become The Valtteri Constant

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Tsaedje posted:

Sebastien Buemi won comfortably

And it's going to get embarrassing.

Because he's going to miss 2 races and he's still going to win comfortably.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

learnincurve posted:

He forgets that that team is spelled with no Hamilton in it. God I despise that guy so much.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
He also says the 2017 Benz looks like a boat and he wants all the cars to look generic with no fancy things on them and he wants stick shifters back.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/02/19/it-looks-like-a-boat-hamilton-on-new-mercedes/

Can't wait for him to join NASCAR. He might even succeed where Are Juan failed!

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

No worry for him, he doesn't need simulators, well done Baku

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Thanks Ants posted:

Bottas will be poo poo in the Merc compared to Lewis, but the real hero of 2017 will be Alonso.

Quoting this for truth.

Alonso MWDC 2017

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

He also says the 2017 Benz looks like a boat and he wants all the cars to look generic with no fancy things on them and he wants stick shifters back.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/02/19/it-looks-like-a-boat-hamilton-on-new-mercedes/

If he went to Nascar there's I'd say a 90 percent change he gets his rear end kicked at one point so there's that.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
are black people allowed to race nascar?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

this seems reasonable though:

Hamilton admitted he would like to see Formula One cars become considerably simpler. “I would take almost everything off,” he said. “I would go back to a more generic car.”

“I liked having a gear stick. I’d take the quick-shift off, I don’t like these gearboxes that we use today.”

“When I was driving Formula Three it was Tiptronic so it was forwards and backwards but you had to pull like an engine cut. So it was just cool to come into the corners and have to blip coming down the gears. It was just fantastic.”

“But now it’s all done with the click of a button and you have to work with your engineer to work on the consistency, how much engine braking you use, it’s ridiculous.”

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

JFairfax posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Wallace_Jr.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Lester
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendell_Scott

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

JFairfax posted:

this seems reasonable though:

Hamilton admitted he would like to see Formula One cars become considerably simpler. “I would take almost everything off,” he said. “I would go back to a more generic car.”

“I liked having a gear stick. I’d take the quick-shift off, I don’t like these gearboxes that we use today.”

“When I was driving Formula Three it was Tiptronic so it was forwards and backwards but you had to pull like an engine cut. So it was just cool to come into the corners and have to blip coming down the gears. It was just fantastic.”

“But now it’s all done with the click of a button and you have to work with your engineer to work on the consistency, how much engine braking you use, it’s ridiculous.”

I hate Hamilton with a passion, however on the surface this seems reasonable.

But gear sticks are silly, without even getting into the mechanics of taking your hands off the wheel I really don't know what an 8 speed shift would look like. Maybe there is too many gears too.

It would be the same with a stick shift, they've still got advanced enough monitoring for engineers to say 'hey you do chuck it down into 2nd a little late, if you do it half second before you'll pull up quicker' regardless of how you're doing it. It sounds like something someone would say to Jim Clarke. You'd be able to hear it.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 20, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tony Montana posted:

But gear sticks are silly, without even getting into the mechanics of taking your hands off the wheel I really don't know what an 8 speed shift would look like. Maybe there is too many gears too.

The thing is we don't need 8 gears and going back to 6 would mean the engines actually start dropping out of the power band if you gently caress up a corner. The whole argument for stick shift begins and ends with it actually takes some degree of skill to nurse one of those through a race while going at full tilt.

The whole thing is driveability, today's cars are built to cover up and minimize driver gently caress ups and inaccuracies. Doing something like mandating a linear 1:1 relationship between the throttle pedal position and the throttle bodies so it acts like an old throttle cable would go a huge way from separating the men from the boys.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

JFairfax posted:

You don't "race" in NASCAR.

Which, by the way, has become even more incomprehensible.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

"Still I Whine"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I doubt mind games are going to bother Bottas tbh. He seems like the sort of stoic guy who will just think "prick" to himself all race weekend and then go chop a load of wood on Monday.

• Locked thread