Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Did they buff the valkyrie yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yo no one tell anyone Conquerer is fun and good

According to a seemingly endless stream of duelists I've encountered who have lost to Conqueror, Conqueror is actually poo poo and terrible.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Playing as any hero that can dodge into light attack attack, just throw the attack if you know he's spamming the gb and that way it won't land. Alternatively, dodge less and get better at teching guard breaks. It really is immensely easy even if a vocal minority of the playerbase thinks that it isn't.

I can tech guard breaks easily. But the fact is if you dodge, whether you attack or not, if someone grabs you whilst you're dodging, it instantly goes through and you can't tech out of it. I noticed sometimes if I dodge and attack, their grab gets cancelled, but it depends how quick they are. Which is why I really think Ubisoft should at least make it so if you dodge and get grabbed, you can still have that small window to tech out of it.

Zzulu posted:

Did they buff the valkyrie yet?

Why does she need a buff? I'm playing as her right now at level 8 and she seems fine to me. She doesn't need a buff. Her shield slam, spear swipe combo are fantastic. Giving her a buff would be retarded.

Playing as a class and sucking at them isn't automatic grounds for them to get a buff.

7c Nickel posted:

Here's something that might interest you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgXooUkTjg8

This seems to be the longest combo in the game right now.

That's awesome. I've been using that combo myself a lot lately, it's really good, but they can dodge out the way of the spear swipe if they're quick enough. I force myself not to spam shield charge cause I've come against conquerors and wardens who just spam it and it's lame. I prefer mixing it up so I am actually good at the class I play, instead of being a one trick pony.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

You're honestly being insanely predictable if they can can grab you before the attack starts every time. Switch up your strategy. Making more actions totally safe is not the answer.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Loopoo posted:

How... do you parry a guard break?

Edit: I finally got what you meant. That's what I wrote. If after a dodge you can atleast cancel out of a guard break attempt. Making dodge provide invulnerability against guard break would be too OP, but the way it is now where dodging can get you insta-grabbed is a bit too punishing.

Oh, I see what you mean. Personally I would make it so you cannot counter a guard break if you "dodge" forward or back (assuming you are in range) but you can't grab someone out of a side dodge, or at least make side dodges guard break cancellable. That poo poo is infuriating.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

You're honestly being insanely predictable if they can can grab you before the attack starts every time. Switch up your strategy. Making more actions totally safe is not the answer.

I guess so. For a majority of players, it's usually not an issue. It's only an issue when you come against a Shugoki who has a combo that consists entirely of "grab opponent, homerun them with kanabo, rinse and repeat". So they pretty much stand there waiting for any opportunity to grab. It forces me to cheese them if they can parry, cause using feints against a Shugoki is bad since they have superarmour and can punish you easily.

signalnoise posted:

Oh, I see what you mean. Personally I would make it so you cannot counter a guard break if you "dodge" forward or back (assuming you are in range) but you can't grab someone out of a side dodge, or at least make side dodges guard break cancellable. That poo poo is infuriating.

100% agree. Dodging into or away from an enemy should keep guard break as it is. But side dodges should at least give you the chance to tech it. Making it so someone can't grab you from a side dodge would be horrible since they'd be totally vulnerable to your attack, it should stay as it is but give us the chance to tech it.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Loopoo posted:

Why does she need a buff? I'm playing as her right now at level 8 and she seems fine to me. She doesn't need a buff. Her shield slam, spear swipe combo are fantastic. Giving her a buff would be retarded.

Playing as a class and sucking at them isn't automatic grounds for them to get a buff.

Regardless of your opinion we already know a valk buff is coming, he's asking if it happened yet. No the valk buff has not happened yet.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
It's been discussed to death as to why valk needs a buff. She's too slow, does too little damage and she can't combo from any of her attacks. Leg sweep is easily dodged and the timing for your dodge deflect is tighter than even that of orochi/PK.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Loopoo posted:

Valkyrie's damage output is literally the lowest in the game, and her shield slam/spear swipe combo is less reliable and has less damage output that Warden's shoulder bash mixup; not to mention that Valkyrie's heavies are also the lowest damage in the game (25 vs. other classes' 30-40). Sure, she has nice combos but so does every other class, and be prepared to spend a lot longer killing people than any other class, and oh make sure you don't gently caress up while you're doing it because you have assassin level health.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
I picked this up last night, watched some tutorial s while it downloaded and ended up going with the peacekeeper. I won my first four matches (all against orochies) and got some angry messages about playing an OP class.

Should I feel bad about playing Peacekeeper? I'm not up to date on the meta except that my guard break used to be a death sentence and got nerfed?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Zebrasectomy posted:

I picked this up last night, watched some tutorial s while it downloaded and ended up going with the peacekeeper. I won my first four matches (all against orochies) and got some angry messages about playing an OP class.

Should I feel bad about playing Peacekeeper? I'm not up to date on the meta except that my guard break used to be a death sentence and got nerfed?

lol at anyone who plays orochi and complains about pk

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

You're doing it right when your opponents get mad.

TheHero
Feb 13, 2017
I'm definitely thinking about picking this up. Is there some sort of "guild" implementation in the game?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Zebrasectomy posted:

Play whatever class you enjoy playing the most and gently caress what others say. PK isn't OP, and it's a bit rich hearing that from Orochi players seeing as everyone collectively thinks they're too OP. Glad you got the game, man, hope it is as fun for you as it is for the rest of us.

Also, regarding the Valk buff, my bad. Now that you all put it that way, I can kinda see why she needs a buff. It does take a hell of a long time to kill someone as Valk.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Loopoo posted:

Why does she need a buff?

Well they said they were going to buff her, I'm wondering if those changes went live

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Zzulu posted:

Well they said they were going to buff her, I'm wondering if those changes went live

Yeah my bad, I spoke without knowing any of the poo poo I was talking about.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

Loopoo posted:

Play whatever class you enjoy playing the most and gently caress what others say. PK isn't OP, and it's a bit rich hearing that from Orochi players seeing as everyone collectively thinks they're too OP. Glad you got the game, man, hope it is as fun for you as it is for the rest of us.

Also, regarding the Valk buff, my bad. Now that you all put it that way, I can kinda see why she needs a buff. It does take a hell of a long time to kill someone as Valk.

Yeah it's been way more fun and accessible than I thought. I'm glad they kept the combos short but technical, if that makes sense?

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

Loopoo posted:

Yeah my bad, I spoke without knowing any of the poo poo I was talking about.

At least you admit it. Valkyrie is garbage, and low level players all yell "WHAT? SHE'S SO GOOD, THO" because they don't understand basic concepts like doing no damage and wasting 3/4 stamina to just do a tiny speck of damage.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Whoever suggested doing a custom AI duel against Orichi with 10 minute rounds and no damage is a saint. Once you can reliably stop their ability to do the running slash on demand that fucks with a lot of people's games. Doing it over and over again really reinforces that muscle memory.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

explosivo posted:

Whoever suggested doing a custom AI duel against Orichi with 10 minute rounds and no damage is a saint. Once you can reliably stop their ability to do the running slash on demand that fucks with a lot of people's games. Doing it over and over again really reinforces that muscle memory.

Take care, though. A good Orochi doesn't initiate with that move. They'll dodge back and do it to punish you when you attack. I've done that loads and it leads to really easy combos cause you catch them off guard when you dodge back out the way of their swing.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

A thing about valks is she gets nothing off nothing. Warden does shoulder tap, double side light guaranteed, warlord does headbutt light guaranteed, conq does shieldbash light guaranteed, valk does shieldbash nothing guaranteed. One of those things is not like the other.

Like I can get bopped by the shield bash from valk, and still have a year and a day to dodge the legsweep. She should be able to get a light from it like everyone else at least?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Loopoo posted:

Take care, though. A good Orochi doesn't initiate with that move. They'll dodge back and do it to punish you when you attack. I've done that loads and it leads to really easy combos cause you catch them off guard when you dodge back out the way of their swing.

You are right, and I do realize training with bots will only get you so far. It's been helpful in shutting down the less experienced Orichi players but yeah, someone who knows what they're doing is another ballgame.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

DrGreatJob posted:

At least you admit it. Valkyrie is garbage, and low level players all yell "WHAT? SHE'S SO GOOD, THO" because they don't understand basic concepts like doing no damage and wasting 3/4 stamina to just do a tiny speck of damage.

Yeah i had a valk clown on me laat night and i legit felt bad for the player because if she was any other class, I would've been dead a solid minute sooner. I got immensely outplayed and still survived longer than two people on my team.

Best part of last night was a warden getting salty in elimination that our 3 conq 1 warlord team would just cliff everyone. Sometimes orders are great.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Valkyrie is pretty meh in the hands of a player but gently caress me the AI will wreck entire teams with one. It's insane.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone who mains a Warden got any tips against high level play Wardens? I play Orochi, and god drat they're fast. Especially if they throw feints in. I gotta keep a constant look out for the really quick swipe attack you do, and their overheads are really fast too but manageable. The problem comes when the enemy feints and then leads straight into the overhead and / or the swipe. It's literally impossible for me to react fast enough as Orochi. If their defense is on point, none of my attacks land, and attempting to feint just gets me hit with the overhead strike. I couldn't parry, no matter how hard I tried, cause their moves land too quick.

So yeah, I wanna be able to stomp on Wardens, cause right now every time I see one I poo poo myself. Advice would be appreciated. Any weaknesses I can exploit etc. etc.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Question for those who play assassins: how do approach defense?
I noticed I'm barely ever trying to block or parry and am relying on dodges the majority of the time. The closest I come to blocking is using whatever the guard move where you dodge I. The direction of the attack is called, since I'm mostly running pk and like getting that extra bleed in after. Also because I'm new at this and I find I can only focus on blocking or attacking but not both at the same time.

antisocial86
Dec 8, 2003
yes sirs
Spent 3 hours on the high village map Shugoki-ing people off the cap with the 3 bridges. Rub my belly.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Loopoo posted:

Anyone who mains a Warden got any tips against high level play Wardens? I play Orochi, and god drat they're fast. Especially if they throw feints in. I gotta keep a constant look out for the really quick swipe attack you do, and their overheads are really fast too but manageable. The problem comes when the enemy feints and then leads straight into the overhead and / or the swipe. It's literally impossible for me to react fast enough as Orochi. If their defense is on point, none of my attacks land, and attempting to feint just gets me hit with the overhead strike. I couldn't parry, no matter how hard I tried, cause their moves land too quick.

So yeah, I wanna be able to stomp on Wardens, cause right now every time I see one I poo poo myself. Advice would be appreciated. Any weaknesses I can exploit etc. etc.

This is kind of funny because I main warden and Orochi give me fits. By far my least favorite matchup.

Maybe others are seeing something we're not (either one way or the other)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Floppychop posted:

This is kind of funny because I main warden and Orochi give me fits. By far my least favorite matchup.

Maybe others are seeing something we're not (either one way or the other)

I dunno fam, if you parry my attacks I'm pretty useless. Even when I tried to feint the opponent out, it was really hard to do cause his defense was loving insaaaaane.

I also am quite rear end with feinting. Like I dunno what combos to lead into right after a feint.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I just got a message from a guy after I jumped him in 2vv2 while he was fighting my team mate. What is with the e-honor?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
E-Honor is about winning and blaming any loss on everybody but yourself.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Feindfeuer posted:

E-Honor is about winning and blaming any loss on everybody but yourself.

You mean blaming every loss on the environment and not your inability to guard break.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah gently caress honor honestly. If I am in elimination and have to fight the 2 prestige conqueror I just run away immediately to help a buddy instead.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012
They seriously need to add a chase mechanic similar to chivalry's in this game. (If you run and someone is chasing you, the chaser slowly gains speed on you till they catch you.)

If it's elimination, and the last person is a peacekeeper with stealth on, I don't want to spend literally the entire round clock chasing that person in vein while they have .1 bars of hp left and just run away to bring a tie. This happens like 3/10 games (not always a peacekeeper, but there's almost always someone who runs away to draw a tie). It makes me want to play Orochi or Kensei just so I can shoot the fuckers in the back of the head with a bow feat.

If there's one person left, just make sprinting cost stamina. Done.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
I noticed I'm barely ever trying to block or parry and am relying on dodges the majority of the time. The closest I come to blocking is using whatever the guard move where you dodge I. The direction of the attack is called, since I'm mostly running pk and like getting that extra bleed in after. Also because I'm new at this and I find I can only focus on blocking or attacking but not both at the same time.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

They want people to continue playing this game when their queue system drops you 3 out of 4 times and on the 4th time it puts you in a match where your team is breaking.

Why the gently caress would I want to keep playing? It's every day, multiple times a day.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Loopoo posted:

I dunno fam, if you parry my attacks I'm pretty useless. Even when I tried to feint the opponent out, it was really hard to do cause his defense was loving insaaaaane.

I also am quite rear end with feinting. Like I dunno what combos to lead into right after a feint.

Seems like most of the time when I parry an Orochi they end up outside my light attack range. Then if I try a heavy they recover quick enough to deflect it.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Zebrasectomy posted:

You're talking about deflect. And deflect is risky to depend on as a first line of defense after dodging. It's usually just used to punish people you bait into an action.

Just learn how to parry. 99% of players can't deal with it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

People love to keep using block strings in this game, and the last hit is almost always some huge windup poo poo attack. Deflect that hit, block the starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

signalnoise posted:

People love to keep using block strings in this game, and the last hit is almost always some huge windup poo poo attack. Deflect that hit, block the starters.

I don't think deflect works on unblockables. So don't do that against a Kensei or the fatty.