Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Where's my Lego Godzilla game Toho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I saw that there's a Crash Bandicoot HD trilogy remake thing coming out for the PS4 and it just reminded me of how lovely the first game was.

For those of you that never had the pleasure, the first Crash game had lousy controls, lousy bonus areas, lousy mechanics (to get gems you need to beat levels in one life while destroying all crates...except the crates were added late in development and on some levels it's just a huge pain), and lousy levels - it feels like a solid 2/5s of the levels in the game are mostly bog-standard left-to-right platformer levels, just rendered in 3D. Of course in these cases they don't bother locking you to that axis of movement, so if you bounce off a turtle wrong or accidentally tap up or down you go flying into the howling abyss. If it wasn't for the at-the-time mindblowing graphics and catchy music I don't think we ever would have seen the sequels, which are fantastic games.

e: I forgot, there was also a password system if you were too broke/clueless to own a memory card, but the password for unlocking everything was inexplicably like four times as long as every other password so you had to make sure you wrote it down perfectly and then entered it perfectly, it was like typing a verbatim paragraph of symbols using nothing but the original non-Dual-Shock PSX controller.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Feb 18, 2017

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

They didn't bring the Codex narrator guy back for the Andromeda, so I imagine many people felt the same.

Awww :(

He did talk slowly but the guy had the best narrating voice

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Strategic Tea posted:

edit: found better video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T85PQe8L1r4

oh dope has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Feb 18, 2017

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

I'm the minute and ten seconds of dead air / black screen, where the video isn't

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

food court bailiff posted:

I saw that there's a Crash Bandicoot HD trilogy remake thing coming out for the PS4 and it just reminded me of how lovely the first game was.

For those of you that never had the pleasure, the first Crash game had lousy controls, lousy bonus areas, lousy mechanics (to get gems you need to beat levels in one life while destroying all crates...except the crates were added late in development and on some levels it's just a huge pain), and lousy levels - it feels like a solid 2/5s of the levels in the game are mostly bog-standard left-to-right platformer levels, just rendered in 3D. Of course in these cases they don't bother locking you to that axis of movement, so if you bounce off a turtle wrong or accidentally tap up or down you go flying into the howling abyss. If it wasn't for the at-the-time mindblowing graphics and catchy music I don't think we ever would have seen the sequels, which are fantastic games.

e: I forgot, there was also a password system if you were too broke/clueless to own a memory card, but the password for unlocking everything was inexplicably like four times as long as every other password so you had to make sure you wrote it down perfectly and then entered it perfectly, it was like typing a verbatim paragraph of symbols using nothing but the original non-Dual-Shock PSX controller.

I had a demo disk that had a crash demo, because demos came out with every game magazine for ages, and I played it once and decided "This is terrible, why would anyone play this" and never played a crash game again until another disk had a crash 3 demo on it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I've been posting a lot lately about how much fun I've been having with Far Cry 3. Well, that seems to have come to an end, because after FINALLY getting to the next checkpoint in the story mission where you try to rescue the Rakyat warriors and Vaas tries to drown you, the game crashed so hard my loving computer no longer boots.

Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
That sounds more like an issue with your computer than the game. Did your hard drive poo poo out?

I'm enjoying Destiny, but holy gently caress it's so easy to overlevel the story content.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, it's looking like my boot drive is fried, but nothing in Far Cry should have been touching anything near the boot drive since all my games and Steam poo poo are on a big 3tb HDD with all their local files. Fun.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Strategic Tea posted:

that dude was the closest thing we had to a radio broadcaster voice these days.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That sounds more like an issue with your computer than the game. Did your hard drive poo poo out?

I'm enjoying Destiny, but holy gently caress it's so easy to overlevel the story content.

Levels are so arbitrary and pointless in Destiny. It all comes down to your light level, an average of your armor, accessories and weapons' light levels. Except all content has a max light level and it scales you down to it if you do any low level content so you can be max level with the strongest gun in the game and still struggle doing piss easy strikes just because the game cripples your damage output.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Yeah, it's looking like my boot drive is fried, but nothing in Far Cry should have been touching anything near the boot drive since all my games and Steam poo poo are on a big 3tb HDD with all their local files. Fun.
I don't get it, are you still thinking that Far Cry broke your computer? It sounds entirely unrelated to your boot drive taking a poo poo.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You can try reinstalling your OS, or installing a different OS. My last computer stopped booting up correctly at one point, and a Windows 7 reinstall didn't work, but I eventually got it to boot in Ubuntu and salvaged all of my important files.

I don't know what the situation is, but there's likely still a way to access your files unless your HDD is physically too far gone.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I've tried to get into Destiny 3 different times. Its fun to play around with but trying to get others to play with me is a pain. None of my friends really play it anymore, or if they do are playing it pretty sparingly and are alot further along than me. Anytime I join any communities all I get is the bog standard MMO posts like "Need 2 for FOF MINTB" I am mad I bought this game and inexplicably bought the expansion even though I have never been able to get into MMOS and pretty much knew how this would turn out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I've tried to get into Destiny 3 different times. Its fun to play around with but trying to get others to play with me is a pain. None of my friends really play it anymore, or if they do are playing it pretty sparingly and are alot further along than me. Anytime I join any communities all I get is the bog standard MMO posts like "Need 2 for FOF MINTB" I am mad I bought this game and inexplicably bought the expansion even though I have never been able to get into MMOS and pretty much knew how this would turn out.

The community somehow manages to make raiding worse than most MMOs. In destiny, people never stop demanding well and above the requirements for the raids to do them when most Destiny raids can be beaten at or slightly below (but not too low or else you do literally zero damage) the light level requirement as long as your group isn't brain dead because most boss fights just involve shuffling around a bit, then shooting a guy. But the problem is, outside of a few specific fights you can't really substitute people with bigger guns for people who know how to move away from the death lasers and taking in a few undergeared guys isn't a problem when there's a good chance they'll gear up as you do the raid, but you can't really fix the people who aren't paying attention and refuse to learn how to do the boss fight.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Nuebot posted:

The community somehow manages to make raiding worse than most MMOs. In destiny, people never stop demanding well and above the requirements for the raids to do them when most Destiny raids can be beaten at or slightly below (but not too low or else you do literally zero damage) the light level requirement as long as your group isn't brain dead because most boss fights just involve shuffling around a bit, then shooting a guy. But the problem is, outside of a few specific fights you can't really substitute people with bigger guns for people who know how to move away from the death lasers and taking in a few undergeared guys isn't a problem when there's a good chance they'll gear up as you do the raid, but you can't really fix the people who aren't paying attention and refuse to learn how to do the boss fight.

This is just your typical MMO, where half the people you play with refuse to get out of the BIG FLASHING RED ZONE THAT THE BOSS IS ANNOUNCING IT IS GOING TO ATTACK. And then blame the healer when they die.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

I don't get it, are you still thinking that Far Cry broke your computer? It sounds entirely unrelated to your boot drive taking a poo poo.

I don't think Far Cry 3 broke my computer, nor did I ever - I was being a bit hyperbolic because it was frustrating finally succeeding in that mission halfway through the game only to have it crash and burn. The one thing that I think it probably did that pisses me off just based on how it went down is save to my C: drive instead of E: where it should have been installed and storing all local files, probably because of some UPlay bullshit. If that's the case, then what's dragging it down is that my save is probably unrecoverable.

Phlegmish posted:

You can try reinstalling your OS, or installing a different OS. My last computer stopped booting up correctly at one point, and a Windows 7 reinstall didn't work, but I eventually got it to boot in Ubuntu and salvaged all of my important files.

I don't know what the situation is, but there's likely still a way to access your files unless your HDD is physically too far gone.

I'm going to try to load the drive on another machine to pull the Windows key and reinstall but I don't have much hope. It's an SSD, not an HDD, and (believe it or not) this is the first time I've actually seen an SSD failure - I was kind of under the impression that unlike HDDs if an SSD dies it's kaput, it's not failing on a sector-by-sector basis. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Either way all my important stuff is saved on my other drive so I'm not worried about losing wedding photos or whatever, it's just a pain and worst-case-scenario I need to shell out for a new SSD and Windows 10 license.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

Content: I love all the mini games in Yakuza 0, karaoke is loving awesome, but the dancing minigame at the disco seems to have really hosed up timing and I can never get it right :argh:

Disco isn't so bad actually. The trick is that you don't hit when the indicator hits the box but a tiny bit into it when it lights up essentially. It takes a tiny bit to get used to but I've max ranked all the songs so not too hard.

gently caress catfighting though. I've smashed buttons like a loving madman when I get a similar challenge and I'll win for a little bit just for the NPC to overpower me like it was nothing. I'm convinced there's some they programmed that you can not absolutely win no matter what.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Slime posted:

This is just your typical MMO, where half the people you play with refuse to get out of the BIG FLASHING RED ZONE THAT THE BOSS IS ANNOUNCING IT IS GOING TO ATTACK. And then blame the healer when they die.

There is no healer in destiny, your health regenerates. Most boss fights have really easy gimmicks usually involving "stand in this one spot and shoot the guy" "don't stand in this one spot" "shoot all the guys" and they still mess up. The single hardest boss fight in the game for most people is still the old Crota raid. Not because it's like, a legit hard fight or anything. But because it just requires timing. You can finish it in less than a minute if you know what you're doing. You shoot him to break his shield, one nerd grabs a sword and smacks him to death. If you time it right you can get his health down to nothing in one go.

Later on in the third expansion they made a mini boss fight that plays almost exactly like an easier version of that, and it's fun to watch random people just fail spectacularly.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

I'm going to try to load the drive on another machine to pull the Windows key and reinstall but I don't have much hope. It's an SSD, not an HDD, and (believe it or not) this is the first time I've actually seen an SSD failure - I was kind of under the impression that unlike HDDs if an SSD dies it's kaput, it's not failing on a sector-by-sector basis. Hopefully I'm wrong.

When my SSD committed suicide, it took forever to load up, and would sometimes, but not always, crash on the boot screen.

Then when I replaced it, I had a dual boot screen which took me a year to bother to work out how to get rid of it. Turns out it was incredibly quick and easy, but :effort:.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Black Stones posted:

gently caress catfighting though. I've smashed buttons like a loving madman when I get a similar challenge and I'll win for a little bit just for the NPC to overpower me like it was nothing. I'm convinced there's some they programmed that you can not absolutely win no matter what.

I took one look at Catfighting and decided I was never going to play it. It doesn't matter how good the payouts might be, it's not worth the loss of self-respect.

Thankfully karaoke makes up for it in every way.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I just finished the last achievement for The Swindle after 31 hours of overall play and it's a really good idea for a game, good enough to carry me as far as it did, but it's got some real problems.

The first is the controls. Your character will auto-grab onto any wall they're close enough to when jumping. And there are walls loving everywhere as you're moving about in small rooms and columns. So this means that a lot of the time your main focus on jumping is on missing walls like they're made of lava so that your jump actually goes where you want it. You'll also grab the wall above you if your jump is vertical and you're close enough. So like this:

code:
    |
----|
------------
If you're on the dot and jump directly up into the asterisk you'll grab the ledge above. If you jump from anywhere but the dot to anywhere but the asterisk (actually you could be a little to the left and still make it if you jump vertically) you won't unless you double jump higher and move into the wall. That took a while to figure out why I could sometimes grab walls that seemed too high when I wasn't at the exact right spot. This of course leads to going at jumps at slight angles to avoid sticking to walls you didn't want to. IT needed a button for grabbing walls or something like that.

The inputs sometimes don't register or register a bit late. This has lead to me fearing spikes way more than I should because they're flush with the floor so if you step just a little too far you dude is getting dead. Sometimes when you double jump it will refuse to register horizontal movement so you just kinda hover in place while mashing out all 4 extra jumps you can unlock in the vain hope it will register and move you where you want it to.

Related to this is that your movement forward seems reals sketchy, like you don't move uniformly forward when you tap forward. So you kinda move a tiny step and then move twice as far the next step. So a lot of time it spent tapping very carefully to get where you need to be and hoping to god you don't go too far and run into the loving mine you're trying to diffuse or run into those spikes.

Stairs are hosed up. Stairs are so hosed up. Sometimes they work just like sloped floors. But often you "fall" down the stairs. Your guy goes into the falling animation and moves down the stairs. Or sometimes they go into the fall animation and stay there. You are counting as falling here so any jump you try will use a double jump if you got it. Double jumps are smaller than normal jumps. Specifically they will mostly just preserve your height if you're falling. Specifically if there are stairs leading down to spikes there is a good chance trying to down the stairs and jump over those spikes will instead throw you down the stairs and into the spikes. During my last run, which was the achievement where you have to finish the game without losing a thief I would refuse to do this at all. Stairs into spikes is either me placing explosives to blow it the gently caress up or me nope-ing out of the level.

Your attack comes out slowly. Well, not slowly, but it's not instant and that will matter once you're jumping into an enemy and swinging to hit them at the point where they can be hit but cannot spot you. It's not always a problem, but it's sometimes a problem. Especially because it's hitbox does not line up with its animation perfectly.

If you hold down sneak and walk off an edge you will grab the edge of the wall. Kinda like pressing down on an edge in Speluky. Except sometimes it doesn't work and you just fall off. Sneaking also makes jumping act real weird. Sometimes. Sometimes it works like normal other times it seems to arrest horizontal movement or make you not stick to walls (probably because of the horizontal fuckery).

Sometimes the game will go into extreme hit-pause when you hit an enemy which can get you killed if you were trying to do a complex series of jumps and hits and instead the game decided to eat your next input and maybe you don't manage to put it in again on time and you get thrown into the spikes you needed to avoid.

The second big problem is the 100 heist limit. Each time you generate and play a level to steal stuff from this counter counts down, and if you don't do the final heist before it hits 0 you lose (you can buy an upgrade that lets you pay an increasing fee to delay this though). I get why it does that, it adds some tension, but it really feels like it would be better just letting you meander your way through your first playthrough rather than being obsessed with the timer. Just add an achievement for finishing within a heist limit (which they did) and call it a day. Unnecessary timers are just bullshit. This one is especially bad because it adds a negative permanence to every run. The good thing about roguelikes is every run is at worst just its own thing so you can shrug off the last run and play again, but The Swindle violates that.

Lastly, the final level you have to grab something and get the gently caress out. You can disable a bunch of security terminals so it doesn't set off an alarm when you do it, but it still sends out attack helicopters that will follow you through stealth and shoot you down right at the end of the game. If you fail this mission you have to buy access to it again with ingame currency.

I kinda love the game and kinda hate the game. I can't imagine how much I'd love it if it was made by a better platformer developer and built for endless replay.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I died to the final boss of World of Final Fantasy because he confused both my party members when I needed to heal them and now I have to re-do a bunch of fights.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Who What Now posted:

I took one look at Catfighting and decided I was never going to play it. It doesn't matter how good the payouts might be, it's not worth the loss of self-respect.

Thankfully karaoke makes up for it in every way.

The payouts suck dick actually. I've been doing everything I can so I was already making 300+ million yen from real estate in 5-7 minutes worth of time from sitting doing nothing by the time I unlocked it. You CAN get amazing payouts but you have to pick the shittiest characters and hope like hell you can win against god tier NPC's. which, why the gently caress do that when real estate makes you way way more money for tons less effort.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I've never made a post in here about a favorite game of mine but seeing as I just played it for the first time and it is now absolutely one of my favorite video games of all time....

Persona 4 The Golden

The character of Hanako. Unfunny, mean-spirited and completely pointless. Really the only consistently bad thing about the game IMO and I wish I could just erase every scene with her from the game.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Just finished Shadow of Mordor, and for a game that started decent and got really awesome in the second area, that sure was the biggest dogshit of a final boss-fight I've ever seen. Not bad enough to be QTE, it wasn't even a challenging one and you only have like 4 inputs. Even the immediately preceding bossfight, while way short and unfortunately only utilizing one game-mechanic, did better than that! It should obviously have been a somewhat lengthy gauntlet involving stealth, branding, headshots, releasing Caragors (or maybe a Graug this time), etc, I can't believe they went with THAT.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I've never made a post in here about a favorite game of mine but seeing as I just played it for the first time and it is now absolutely one of my favorite video games of all time....

Persona 4 The Golden

The character of Hanako. Unfunny, mean-spirited and completely pointless. Really the only consistently bad thing about the game IMO and I wish I could just erase every scene with her from the game.

which character is this? is it the devil social link?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Hanako's the fat girl, not a social link at all.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

Just finished Shadow of Mordor, and for a game that started decent and got really awesome in the second area, that sure was the biggest dogshit of a final boss-fight I've ever seen. Not bad enough to be QTE, it wasn't even a challenging one and you only have like 4 inputs. Even the immediately preceding bossfight, while way short and unfortunately only utilizing one game-mechanic, did better than that! It should obviously have been a somewhat lengthy gauntlet involving stealth, branding, headshots, releasing Caragors (or maybe a Graug this time), etc, I can't believe they went with THAT.

Shadow of Mordor's a very good game but at the end you can clearly tell the exact point where the budget started running thin.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Terran music suite in Starcraft 2 is so much better than the Zerg or Protoss that I never want to play as them :/

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

The Terran music suite in Starcraft 2 is so much better than the Zerg or Protoss that I never want to play as them :/

I disliked Kerrigan's biological high-heels.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Shadow of Mordor's a very good game but at the end you can clearly tell the exact point where the budget started running thin.

Same thing happened with Fraud in Dante's Inferno, which is a shame because the rest of the game has some awesome design.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

tight aspirations posted:

I disliked Kerrigan's biological high-heels.

Uh yeah there's that too.

Actually everything about Kerrigan is pretty terrible compared to SC1.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Feb 19, 2017

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

aegof posted:

I'm still not sure why they paired Hanako up with Kashiwagi, on the basis of both of them being desperate for a boyfriend. In an actual high school, Kashiwagi would have no problems hooking all the straight teenage boys she could ever want, instead of constantly failing at her "get laid quick" schemes.

Wrong side of 40, my rear end.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Here's something that gets me every time I play a lovely JRPG. Why is running so useless? Any fight you can run from, there's no reason to because it's arguably faster to just hit auto-attack and let your dudes instantly destroy whatever stupid slime is there. But any monsters you'd actually want to run from because they will wreck your poo poo, you can never run away from because they're too strong.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

Here's something that gets me every time I play a lovely JRPG. Why is running so useless? Any fight you can run from, there's no reason to because it's arguably faster to just hit auto-attack and let your dudes instantly destroy whatever stupid slime is there. But any monsters you'd actually want to run from because they will wreck your poo poo, you can never run away from because they're too strong.

FFXII had the best run action

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

aegof posted:

wow i don't remember her at all.

Schubalts posted:

I'm still not sure why they paired Hanako up with Kashiwagi, on the basis of both of them being desperate for a boyfriend. In an actual high school, Kashiwagi would have no problems hooking all the straight teenage boys she could ever want, instead of constantly failing at her "get laid quick" schemes.

Wrong side of 40, my rear end.

i think that was the joke, though. she looks hot but can't get anyone. hell, i miss the teacher in p3 who your classmate was into but you were closer to her because you both played the same mmo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Schubalts posted:

In an actual high school

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Action Tortoise posted:

FFXII had the best run action

You misspelled Undertale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
gently caress one of the ending battles of Metal Gear Solid 2. The last 10% of the game literally becomes a lovely version of tekken or some dumb poo poo where you fight some dude with the worst controls ever (no autolock on LOL have fun swinging into the air thousands of times) and it absolutely ruins the good will the game had up to this point. What the gently caress was Kojima and team thinking taking a "tactical espionage game" and shoving in loving sword fights in it like it's revengeance.

I similarly threw a gigantic fit at the end of Metal Gear Solid 1 where you have the fist fight.

Metal Gear 1 and 2 never had these issues because they were made before Kojima lost his mind. (at least the fist fight at end of M2 wasn't annoyingly hard)

TheShrike has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Feb 20, 2017