Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My govt contractor gig finally replaced our XH-A1s with an FS700 and two EA50s :toot: I never thought I'd be so excited for a 5 year old camera.

(an awesome 5 year old camera, but still)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

keyframe posted:

No I am in Vancouver, Canada.

What is your current lighting setup if you don't mind me asking?

i run 2x profoto b1's for photos, and i have a kino parabeam 200 & a crappy chinese on-camera LED for video. Parabeams rule, try to find one if you can.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Pretty sure I just bricked this Atomos Ninja 2 monitor. I shot some test footage today, everything went swimmingly. At the end of the shoot, I popped the SSD drive cassette out without using the latch, and suddenly the monitor won't read the cassette.

When I got home, I put the cassette in the reader adapter, and my computer reads everything, no problem. What a relief. But the monitor won't see the cassette still. I swapped in a HDD, I can hear it spool up so I know it's getting power, but the monitor won't recognize the drive.

I even took it apart, cleaned all the contacts and made sure it was seated properly, nothing.

I was even getting ready to sell this thing as I switch over to glorious Fuji 4k :negative: Hopefully Atomos customer service can help.

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003
Would love for you guys to watch a short airsoft action film that I've been working on for months. I directed and edited it.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it. Shot on a RED Dragon 6K over the course of 2 days with mostly cloudy skies in November. We were struggling to get what we could with limited dayling. We only used lights in the cabin and maybe one other shot. Other than it was all natural and pretty run and gun. My DOP was Shawn Seifert. I was directing and also doing some operating for the really fast running shots. I hope you like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLBsINfGtKM

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

StuntKid posted:

Would love for you guys to watch a short airsoft action film that I've been working on for months. I directed and edited it.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it. Shot on a RED Dragon 6K over the course of 2 days with mostly cloudy skies in November. We were struggling to get what we could with limited dayling. We only used lights in the cabin and maybe one other shot. Other than it was all natural and pretty run and gun. My DOP was Shawn Seifert. I was directing and also doing some operating for the really fast running shots. I hope you like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLBsINfGtKM

That was pretty sweet man. Made me want to go there.

My one complaint would be the excessively shaky cam in most shots but disclaimer I am not a fan of Jason Bourne style of camwork.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Ok guys need advice.

Decided to cancel my GH5 preorder and go with a blackmagic pocket cinema camera while I save up for the Ursa Mini. Found a guy selling his with a tilta cage, zacuto eye piece and six batteries for less then what the cam costs brand new so jumped on it. Going to be picking up a metabones speedbooster and a sigma 18-35 for starters.

I have been watching lots of reviews of the camera but they are all old and discuss problems that might or might not exist anymore (like in cam sd card formatting that got added in a later fw)

Those of you that own one, what's the current state of things with it and what would you recommend for a first time user?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

keyframe posted:

Ok guys need advice.

Decided to cancel my GH5 preorder and go with a blackmagic pocket cinema camera while I save up for the Ursa Mini. Found a guy selling his with a tilta cage, zacuto eye piece and six batteries for less then what the cam costs brand new so jumped on it. Going to be picking up a metabones speedbooster and a sigma 18-35 for starters.

I have been watching lots of reviews of the camera but they are all old and discuss problems that might or might not exist anymore (like in cam sd card formatting that got added in a later fw)

Those of you that own one, what's the current state of things with it and what would you recommend for a first time user?

I haven't used the BMPCC myself but rule of thumb with any Blackmagic product is to make sure you're running on the latest firmware. It seems like 90% of the time with Blackmagic, any issue the camera is experiencing is because they simply haven't gotten the firmware to support whatever feature they built into the camera yet. They just love to release products they've built before they've entirely figured out how to make them work. I know specifically the BMPCC has its own subreddit that's pretty good for any and all questions.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
That camera rules... I sold mine unfortunately a while back but I loved it.

My main two pieces of advice (other than the speed booster which you're already getting) is that you cannot see that lovely screen in the sunlight... At all. Like it's really not usable. So have an external viewing solution.

And the batteries don't last long either. I'd recommend a V-Mount adapter and couple of V Mount batteries as well.

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

keyframe posted:

That was pretty sweet man. Made me want to go there.

My one complaint would be the excessively shaky cam in most shots but disclaimer I am not a fan of Jason Bourne style of camwork.

Thank you very much! There was some shaky shots, I didn't want to go full Bourne, and we tried to minimize that shakyness when possible (which was hard when running with a fully rigged RED Dragon hanging at your feet lol), and we tried to avoid cutting excessively so at least your brain could catch up with what was happening.

I'm a fan of both styles myself, and I don't mind the old Michael Bay combination of both. Glad you liked it! Camera performed very well for minimal/no lighting. There's a bit of grain in some of the darker shots that I had to punch-in in post for, but otherwise the camera is a solid work-horse.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

BonoMan posted:

That camera rules... I sold mine unfortunately a while back but I loved it.

My main two pieces of advice (other than the speed booster which you're already getting) is that you cannot see that lovely screen in the sunlight... At all. Like it's really not usable. So have an external viewing solution.

And the batteries don't last long either. I'd recommend a V-Mount adapter and couple of V Mount batteries as well.

Yea I am going to be getting a BM assist monitor as soon as I figure out my rig. Which brings me to my next question, what is a good rig for this thing? I got the camera and the sigma 18-35 today and holy poo poo sigma is a heavy lens, feels like they built it out of lead or something. I think I will pick up a Canon EF 35mm f2 IS as a lighter lens.

I heard a lot of people recommend the Contineo cage for the bmpcc but I can't find it anywhere and the website of the company that makes it is under construction for two weeks now. I think I will go with the Tilta rig meanwhile unless you guys have any suggestions.

PS: would you guys recommend this (price in canadian $)

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/pho/5945926712.html

keyframe fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 18, 2017

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love mine but can't comment on whether it's a good deal or not.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

powderific posted:

I love mine but can't comment on whether it's a good deal or not.

How much did you pay for yours?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bought it new, sooooo, retail? Like $250-ish usd but I don't really remember since it was 4 or 5 years ago.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

powderific posted:

I bought it new, sooooo, retail? Like $250-ish usd but I don't really remember since it was 4 or 5 years ago.

Yea seems about the same for new here as well so I just ordered one from the manfrotto store.

Another question if you guys don't mind. I just picked up a used 7" BM assist 4k monitor/recorder. Looking for a good magic arm to mount it on. Any brand recommendations? Don't want to get something lovely and have the monitor wobble/fall off.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

keyframe posted:

Another question if you guys don't mind. I just picked up a used 7" BM assist 4k monitor/recorder. Looking for a good magic arm to mount it on. Any brand recommendations? Don't want to get something lovely and have the monitor wobble/fall off.

The gold standard is Noga, though I've heard really good things about Bright Tangerine's Titan Arm.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

VoodooXT posted:

The gold standard is Noga, though I've heard really good things about Bright Tangerine's Titan Arm.

Somebody else recommended me that as well but I contacted the company and couldn't get a solid date on when it will ship. Ended up ordering the edelkrone 2nd gen monitor/evf holder.

https://www.edelkrone.com/p/115/monitor-holder

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
So Blackmagic is announcing a new camera and something resolve related tomorrow at a live stream:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

keyframe posted:

So Blackmagic is announcing a new camera and something resolve related tomorrow at a live stream:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com

Of course. Two loving weeks after we just bought an Ursa mini.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Don't worry, if they're announcing now it'll be about two years before they have a actual functional product, at which time they will announce an even newer camera.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

keyframe posted:

Somebody else recommended me that as well but I contacted the company and couldn't get a solid date on when it will ship. Ended up ordering the edelkrone 2nd gen monitor/evf holder.

https://www.edelkrone.com/p/115/monitor-holder

Man, I hope that works out for you but it looks really fiddly compared to a noga arm.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
It's probably not a new camera, it's probably the 4.6k turret for the Ursa Major.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 2, 2017

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's the Ursa Mini Pro and it looks great if they actually ship it in a reasonable timeframe. ND filters, way better controls, can do the 4.6k res to ProRes, interchangable lens mounts.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Holy poo poo, spank my rear end and call me Deakins. :aaa:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

powderific posted:

It's the Ursa Mini Pro and it looks great if they actually ship it in a reasonable timeframe. ND filters, way better controls, can do the 4.6k res to ProRes, interchangable lens mounts.

Available today.

Hopefully we can swap out our Ursa Mini from BH no problem.

ND's are nice but the interchangeable mounts would be great for us.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah, I'm like... BM seems to have actually released a real camera?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it looks great and I'm really surprised. I just kinda assumed I'd always find their stuff weirdly lacking in some area but this looks ideal for what I need.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

powderific posted:

Man, I hope that works out for you but it looks really fiddly compared to a noga arm.

Installed it today with the blackmagic assist 4k and it is rock solid, no wiggle on any position. Pretty happy with it so far.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Craigslist is full of people trying to flip their Ursa Mini 4.6k now to get the pro. :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Top dog nomination has closed and top dog subforum voting has started!

Go there and vote, then go out and vote up all the other dogs in the other forums, but make sure to only vote for the bad ones (tactical dog voting)

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Ended up ordering the ursa mini pro, shoulder kit and the evf. Hopefully it will ship this week and not months later.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I did some kind of preorder that reserves my place in line but doesn't bill until they have the item in hand and ask me whether I really want it. Gonna go mess with a regular Ursa Mini tomorrow a bit to help me decide. It kinda seems like the camera I've been waiting for for years though.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hi, video thread. I need a camera/light setup for band videography. I was thinking about getting a couple ETC Par cans for lighting (small venues, but a lot of them are kinda dark) for my lighting setup; probably gonna uplight them because it'll be a while before they're anywhere with truss. These will eventually be joined by some LED dj lightstrips and a couple LED pars set to sound activated multicolor strobing.

If I want to capture them in HD (not rich, so 4k will have to wait), what kind of camera should I look for? I was thinking of getting a new DSLR since that's what I know, but figured someone here might know better than I.

e: I'll probably also use this camera for a couple music videos. If I end up with a DSLR it'll replace my Nikon D50 for stills, too.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 7, 2017

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Be careful what LEDs you buy - the cheap ones will flicker on camera and ruin your shots.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Very good to know. Is that a hz-rate vs shutter speed thing or just a lovely-light thing? I was probably gonna go with Chauvet or ADJ-brand stuff for the LED lights. Could I test it in-store by shooting the lights with a phone camera?

Also, in your opinion would I be better served by picking up a mid-low range dedicated video cam (aiming for a $700-1k pricepoint) or a DSLR in the same range? Am I being too cheap to get a workable camera? Priced camcorders/bodies on B&H and it seemed like I may have... grossly underestimated the cost of one of these. I'm fine with saving up for a bit but the part that bugs me is I just don't know whether I need to.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

powderific posted:

I did some kind of preorder that reserves my place in line but doesn't bill until they have the item in hand and ask me whether I really want it. Gonna go mess with a regular Ursa Mini tomorrow a bit to help me decide. It kinda seems like the camera I've been waiting for for years though.

Yea I played with a coworkers ursa mini 4.6k but I don't think it will compare to the pro other than to give you an idea of the size and weight. It is a great camera but the ergonomics of it wasn't for me. Pro seems to fix all those issues and then some.

Reviews are apparently hitting next week, found these initial thoughts articles meanwhile:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/03/06/initial-thoughts-after-field-testing-the-ursa-mini-pro/

http://www.redsharknews.com/production/item/4404-blackmagic-ursa-mini-pro-unboxing

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I mostly wanted to get a feel for weight and size. Gotta say the little test footage I got with the Mini 4k looks like total garbage to me thanks to the very narrow dynamic range. In super controlled lighting conditions I guess it might be fine, but wow I can't imagine using it for any of the work I do.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This shouldn't surprise anyone but the black magic rep told my salesperson that cameras are probably 3 weeks + from shipping to vendors.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

powderific posted:

This shouldn't surprise anyone but the black magic rep told my salesperson that cameras are probably 3 weeks + from shipping to vendors.

What country? People already received theirs from the first batch. I talked to b&h two days ago and they said next batch will go out before the end of next week.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm in the US going through Ablecine in Chicago and another company local to me. It's definitely possible that they're giving priority to BH. The BM rep told my sales rep that it was at least three weeks before they'd see their first batch. The company local to me preordered twenty of em and don't think they'll be getting any for at least a month or two. It's possible that BlackMagic could surprise them, but I gotta get something sorted pretty soon as we're going into about a month and a half of heavy production where I won't be able to mess around with switching camera package mid-project.

It puts me in the weird position where I might have to spend enough on rentals over the next month and a half to make the price of a Varicam LT now about the same as an Ursa Mini Pro + renting till we're through this big push. The Varicam LT has been the main camera we're considering for a while so that wouldn't necessarily be a bad move, but the Ursa Mini Pro looked perfect for us and it's soooo much cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

powderific posted:

I'm in the US going through Ablecine in Chicago and another company local to me. It's definitely possible that they're giving priority to BH. The BM rep told my sales rep that it was at least three weeks before they'd see their first batch. The company local to me preordered twenty of em and don't think they'll be getting any for at least a month or two. It's possible that BlackMagic could surprise them, but I gotta get something sorted pretty soon as we're going into about a month and a half of heavy production where I won't be able to mess around with switching camera package mid-project.

It puts me in the weird position where I might have to spend enough on rentals over the next month and a half to make the price of a Varicam LT now about the same as an Ursa Mini Pro + renting till we're through this big push. The Varicam LT has been the main camera we're considering for a while so that wouldn't necessarily be a bad move, but the Ursa Mini Pro looked perfect for us and it's soooo much cheaper.

Yea shouldn't take months man. This bm guy posted on their official forum saying they will be full filling orders very fast. Hope you get yours soon.