Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

LordAbaddon posted:

..............Night Goblins and Nasty Skulkers already exist tho

Yeah but I want more gobbos. They're funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah but I want more gobbos. They're funny.

Well there is one more unit they could add

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It would just be super cool if steam would tell you what mod just updated

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bah, all this Bretonia talk makes me want to start up a campaign but I don't want to play without the DLC and the sunk-cost fallacy is how my brain works. Any chance that of a sale around Brettonia's release so I can trick myself into thinking not buying them at release was worth it?

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Because I'm super spergy with this stuff:

Louen Leoncoeur faction bonus (Bretonnia): 'Starts with all Knightly Vows unlocked'*, Campaign movement range (all characters) +10%, Aura Size: +25% for all Lords (when attacking). Starting Units: Pegasus Knights, Trebuchet, Grail Knights.

Alberic of Bordeleaux faction bonus (Bordeleaux): 'Starts with the Knight's Vow unlocked'*, +5% income from trade agreements, +2 Experience for all Bretonnian knight units. Starting Units: Battle Pilgrims, Knights of the Realm, Knights Errant.

The Fay Enchantress faction bonus (Carcassone): 'Image of the Lady': +5 Peasants available to the faction, Upkeep greatly reduced for Grail Guardians, +15% Replenishment rate. Starting Units: Grail Guardians, Blessed Field Trebuchet, Grail Reliquae

It looks like each Lord (minus the Enchantress?) has 3 'Knightly Vow' skills.

Knight's Vow (Greatly Reduced Upkeep for: Pegasus Knights, Knights Errant, Knights of the Realm) > Questing Vow (Greatly Reduced Upkeep for: Questing Knights) > Grail Vow (didn't show the specifics but I imagine reduction on Grail Knights and Grail Guardians)

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

genericnick posted:

Bah, all this Bretonia talk makes me want to start up a campaign but I don't want to play without the DLC and the sunk-cost fallacy is how my brain works. Any chance that of a sale around Brettonia's release so I can trick myself into thinking not buying them at release was worth it?

Bretonnia is going to be added for free at the end of the month, no extra cost if you own the game.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

All the stuff is added to the game, you just can't play it yourself without DLC. So like a Empire Campaign, you still fight beastmen and elves.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

LordAbaddon posted:

Its also literally what Grimgor does in the intro cinematic.

Was there ever a reason given why the main Greenskins couldn't do that?

A lot of the 'why can't X do Y' questions are answered by 'it's to make the different factions distinctive'.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Is there any footage of the new Bretonnian stuff for those of us who missed the stream?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Because I'm super spergy with this stuff:

Louen Leoncoeur faction bonus (Bretonnia): 'Starts with all Knightly Vows unlocked'*, Campaign movement range (all characters) +10%, Aura Size: +25% for all Lords (when attacking). Starting Units: Pegasus Knights, Trebuchet, Grail Knights.

Alberic of Bordeleaux faction bonus (Bordeleaux): 'Starts with the Knight's Vow unlocked'*, +5% income from trade agreements, +2 Experience for all Bretonnian knight units. Starting Units: Battle Pilgrims, Knights of the Realm, Knights Errant.

The Fay Enchantress faction bonus (Carcassone): 'Image of the Lady': +5 Peasants available to the faction, Upkeep greatly reduced for Grail Guardians, +15% Replenishment rate. Starting Units: Grail Guardians, Blessed Field Trebuchet, Grail Reliquae

It looks like each Lord (minus the Enchantress?) has 3 'Knightly Vow' skills.

Knight's Vow (Greatly Reduced Upkeep for: Pegasus Knights, Knights Errant, Knights of the Realm) > Questing Vow (Greatly Reduced Upkeep for: Questing Knights) > Grail Vow (didn't show the specifics but I imagine reduction on Grail Knights and Grail Guardians)

Alberic with the worst campaign bonus and worst starting army. I'm really curious to see what it is about Average Joe that made CA decide to make a Legendary Faction Leader out of him.

King Louen is looking Beastly but I'm weirdly already sick of his face just because he's been a MP staple all this time so I'm leaning towards starting with the Enchantress. Power to the Peasants and all that.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

madmac posted:

Alberic with the worst campaign bonus and worst starting army. I'm really curious to see what it is about Average Joe that made CA decide to make a Legendary Faction Leader out of him.

King Louen is looking Beastly but I'm weirdly already sick of his face just because he's been a MP staple all this time so I'm leaning towards starting with the Enchantress. Power to the Peasants and all that.

They all start in a separate provinces so it's possible they wanted an easy, medium, and hard starting location.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Fangz posted:

A lot of the 'why can't X do Y' questions are answered by 'it's to make the different factions distinctive'.

...but great migrator style hordes and settling would make them more distinctive.

Don't get me wrong i'm not gonna refuse to play Greenskins until its implemented, its just that it seems like a distinctly odd omission from their playstyle, especially since we already have another Greenskin faction doing the exact same thing.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Starting as the greenskin horde north of the empire would be a nice change of pace for the greenskins, especially with an occupation mod. The best part of the Skarsnik campaign was being away from the badlands area, the worst part that it dragged you back there if you want to remove debuffs. They could also add the greenskins that start in the mountains west of Marienburg for a challange because that would probably be the hardest faction start on the map

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

LordAbaddon posted:

...but great migrator style hordes and settling would make them more distinctive.

Don't get me wrong i'm not gonna refuse to play Greenskins until its implemented, its just that it seems like a distinctly odd omission from their playstyle, especially since we already have another Greenskin faction doing the exact same thing.

It would make greenskins more interesting but it makes the other horde factions less distinctive. Chaos would look even worse, for instance.

Giving a faction things a different faction has inevitably makes that other faction start feeling like a hobbled version. This is kinda one of the problems with the chaos warriors - as unique horde faction they were interesting initially. As beastmen without waaaghs and ambush stance, well....

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

madmac posted:

Give him a bigger moustache

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Chaos has a fun army with great, fun, high-end units like Forsaken, Manticores, Armored Trolls, and Hellcannons. Unfortunately, their campaign is mostly smashing near-identical hordes of marauders against each other, and the way their buildings work heavily incentives you to just stick with infantry dudes rather than braching out into the fun stuff. If they rework the strategic side I think they could be great.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I haven't been following the Bretonnia stuff but I really hope the Fay Enchantress won't be another bad/mediocre caster LL.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Kainser posted:

I haven't been following the Bretonnia stuff but I really hope the Fay Enchantress won't be another bad/mediocre caster LL.

The recent Caster lords have been a lot better. Malagor and Wurrzag are loaded with unique skills, and Durthu is a melee monster. I think the devs have they've learned from their mistakes.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

All the stuff is added to the game, you just can't play it yourself without DLC. So like a Empire Campaign, you still fight beastmen and elves.

John Charity Spring posted:

Bretonnia is going to be added for free at the end of the month, no extra cost if you own the game.

I know, I know but weirdly the Bretonia talk doesn't make me want to play Bretonia specifically.

By the way: Has there been any indication that CA want to make another pass over the initial factions? in terms of major mechanic changes?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eela6 posted:

The recent Caster lords have been a lot better. Malagor and Wurrzag are loaded with unique skills, and Durthu is a melee monster. I think the devs have they've learned from their mistakes.

Her traits sound like she's going to emphasize the economy/peasant side of the Brettonian tech tree in addition to her magic. Could be fun.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Eela6 posted:

Chaos has a fun army with great, fun, high-end units like Forsaken, Manticores, Armored Trolls, and Hellcannons. Unfortunately, their campaign is mostly smashing near-identical hordes of marauders against each other, and the way their buildings work heavily incentives you to just stick with infantry dudes rather than braching out into the fun stuff. If they rework the strategic side I think they could be great.

Part of the problem with the chaos campaign is the old man advisor tells you to go west and fight the Varg and Skaeling when that's a waste of time and counter-productive because they're pretty much already on your side, you just need to peace them out first and they'll come around and start flooding the north with more stacks than you can count. If you build a stack of chaos warriors you can sack and burn all of Kislev early on or you can go straight for Karl Franz, sacking and building up on the way and arriving at Altdorf around turn 20-30. Low tier empire infantry is so weak compared to chaos warriors that no one will want to engage you early on.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
The biggest problems with the Chaos campaign are the lack of a stealth stance and the AI's near-total nullification of attrition.

It's not uncommon in the early game for Karl Franz or somebody to show up with a doomstack (or 2), and force you to run halfway across the map to get away since you can't hide and he has no problem taking 3 damage/turn chasing you into Chaos-twisted hellscape of your conquest. It ends up feeling more like a Benny Hill routine than the End Times.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

genericnick posted:

I know, I know but weirdly the Bretonia talk doesn't make me want to play Bretonia specifically.

By the way: Has there been any indication that CA want to make another pass over the initial factions? in terms of major mechanic changes?

They keep saying they're thinking about doing stuff with the Old Legendary Lords without making any commitment so far. I was hoping they'd overhaul stuff for the Old World Edition but maybe after Brettonia is out and they're just doing small DLCs until game 2 they'll have more time for it.

quote:

They haven't shown much with her but she has a shitload of unique rules in the TT game and they'd have to screw up pretty hard to make her bad. Also she looks like she shares animations and the Unicorn Mount with the Wood Elf Spellsingers, and those ladies are surprisingly effective (and awesome looking) in melee.

In TT, hmm, she gets a major buff in casting Lore of Life spells, she gets a Unicorn Mount, magic resistance, causes fear and terror (to certain races) grants a special buff to a chosen unit, blesses her whole army with a minor ward save, can have a special bodyguard unit of Grail Knights, and automatically inflicts damage to nearby units with her spiteful glance ability.

She also rides a buffed up Unicorn and has three magic items, a Toad Familiar that buffs her magic ability, A Girdle that gives her a solid Ward Save, and a Chalice that lets her use random Lore of Heaven spells for free. In Older editions she actually had even more stuff...In 5th edition her Spiteful Glance could turn enemies into frogs instead of dealing wounds, and she had a handful of unique spells.

So far in TW she definitely uses Lore of Life and has the Unicorn. Her campaign bonuses focus on peasants and religious units (Pilgrims, Reliquae, Grail Guardians, ect) and she gets "Mists of the Lady" as her free starting ability. It's most likely a bound spell based of her "Mist of Chalons" ability in 5th edition that shrouded a friendly unit to protect it from missile fire.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Trujillo posted:

Starting as the greenskin horde north of the empire would be a nice change of pace for the greenskins, especially with an occupation mod. The best part of the Skarsnik campaign was being away from the badlands area, the worst part that it dragged you back there if you want to remove debuffs. They could also add the greenskins that start in the mountains west of Marienburg for a challange because that would probably be the hardest faction start on the map

I'd like to see Kemmler as a VC horde side focusing on skeletons/zombies. I'd like to see a Dogs of War/Grudgebringers side which is a sort of mercenary Empire horde. Lot of potential for fun stuff with more horde armies for more sides.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Chaos should get large replenishment bonus on high chaos land and the player shouldn't be able to choose which units to recruit. It should be random, or perhaps guided by buildings in the horde but not limited to them.

I don't particularly mind chaos being unable to ambush, but perhaps they should have a larger movement radius.

Everyone except the north should hate them from turn 1, and the Varg/skaelings should be neutral but friendly-inclined.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think it's really unlikely they will change the chaos warriors a lot before they add the Daemon faction to the game.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Eela6 posted:

The solution to magic lords sucking isn't to make them badass in melee like Malagor is. The solution is to make them better at magic.

Fangz posted:

I think it's really unlikely they will change the chaos warriors a lot before they add the Daemon faction to the game.

Obviously. People already paid or won't for the dlc, CA should focus on new content/new income. I doubt chaos will change a lick until game 2.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Has there been any confirmation that there'll be any more DLC--paid or otherwise--past Bretonnia? If not, I could see them doing a big pass on some of the worse Lords and mechanics between now and the second full game's release.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Mordja posted:

Has there been any confirmation that there'll be any more DLC--paid or otherwise--past Bretonnia? If not, I could see them doing a big pass on some of the worse Lords and mechanics between now and the second full game's release.

Whatever an old friend is may be the last. After that, a map expansion sometime in summer.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Ammanas posted:

The solution to magic lords sucking isn't to make them badass in melee like Malagor is. The solution is to make them better at magic.

How is Malagor badass in Melee? He's useful because he has a bunch of unique skills like Something Wicked This Way Comes that gives a huge LD debuff to enemy armies or +30 Power Reserves or Starting every battle with a full mana pool. If he just had a free combat ability like all the newer Lords have and Lore of the Wild wasn't kind of rear end he'd be even better.

Wurzag meanwhile is an awesome caster Lord because he's awesome at magic stuff, with two bound spells, a very low miscast chance while increasing the miscast rate for enemy casters, a staff that grants an army-wide melee buff every time he casts a spell ect ect and a bunch of great army boosting skills and faction bonuses on top.

Gelt and Kemmler are garbage but CA has done a good job of steadily making better Caster Lords since then.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mordja posted:

They said the Wood Elves were the last "major" dlc but I'm honestly starting to wonder exactly what they mean by "major". I was looking at the Future Content blog earlier and noticed that we have not received a Race Pack yet, just Campaign Packs.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_WARHAMMER_Future_Content_Blog

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

LordAbaddon posted:

They said the Wood Elves were the last "major" dlc but I'm honestly starting to wonder exactly what they mean by "major". I was looking at the Future Content blog earlier and noticed that we have not received a Race Pack yet, just Campaign Packs.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_WARHAMMER_Future_Content_Blog

CA has said that both Brettonia and Warriors of Chaos count as race packs.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

madmac posted:

CA has said that both Brettonia and Warriors of Chaos count as race packs.

Ok I was wrong about that but I'm wondering if it is possible that we'll maybe see a race pack before game 2. Since its not a campaign pack it might be less "major" than the Wood Elves.

Probably just wishful thinking on my part though

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's crucial to get the green iz best mod so that they can actually beat the Dwarfs, making them the real end-game enemy not the limp-dick Chaos poo poo. I just got a game where I (VC) managed to eat everything but Kislev before the End Times, but when the Dwarfs allied with me for whatever reason I found out they had already destroyed all but one greenskins settlement.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

aaaand that modder's only other mod:

why?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pretty good binding at least.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Ammanas posted:

Chaos should get large replenishment bonus on high chaos land and the player shouldn't be able to choose which units to recruit. It should be random, or perhaps guided by buildings in the horde but not limited to them.

I don't particularly mind chaos being unable to ambush, but perhaps they should have a larger movement radius.

Everyone except the north should hate them from turn 1, and the Varg/skaelings should be neutral but friendly-inclined.

Better replenishment would be nice but not vital. Y'all just need to merge/disband weakened units and hire new full strength ones. Faster replenishment through recruitment beats unit experience any day.

Diplomacy with the other chaos factions does suck though, no argument there.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

TW:W won Sega's promotional event thing, and thus we'll be getting Isabella for free alongside the Bretonnians, I guess?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

madmac posted:

+2 chevrons on recruitment for all knights in the entire campaign (it's a global bonus, not just for Alberic's own army) actually sounds pretty cool. The extra trade income is meh, but should work out a bit better with the Better Trade mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Eschatos posted:

Better replenishment would be nice but not vital. Y'all just need to merge/disband weakened units and hire new full strength ones. Faster replenishment through recruitment beats unit experience any day.

I feel i have to bring this up every single time this is mentioned, while the unit merging/disband thing is a valid solution for your normal and more elite troops it does nothing to help against your heroes and your LL's who will simply not heal up in time.

The solutions to this issue right now are bizarre jury rig things like:
Don't use your LL in minor/medium fights so they dont take damage.
Replace your LL with a generic lord for 5 turns while he heals up.
Remove your hero from the army before a battle as to make sure they dont take any damage (and then promptly have them assassinated knowing your luck with the AI)
OR Dont use them in the battle just like the LL thing, just have them sit back and do nothing because thats engaging gameplay.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 20, 2017

• Locked thread