Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mookie Betts, still good at bowling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Lumpy posted:

Mine started during Ford / Carter... so lol on me I guess. :smith:

I played pee wee baseball (poorly) during the Carter administration. Sup, old goon buddy

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Still looking for one more person for my MLB.tv group.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Still looking for one more person for my MLB.tv group.

Yo.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm looking for a MLB.tv group too. Is there a thread for that in Coupons or something?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Padres signed Jered Weaver to a 1yr/3M deal. He's good to eat some innings at least, I guess.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Niwrad posted:

Looking forward to my large friend hitting some dingers this Spring.

I stopped following the baseball threads here during the offseason, but now that Spring Training is back, I'm also back to sing the praises of My Beefy Lad.

Also, since I'm still in mourning over Dex to the Cards, it makes all of the BestFans tweets especially good/bad.
https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis/status/833314681339121664

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Stick to your job and let the professionals (people with Twitter accounts) handle the politics. Alright?

It's especially dumb because his wife is Iranian and they can't go visit her family, so it literally directly effects him.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Since I posted that like five minutes ago, Fowler tweeted this.
https://twitter.com/DexterFowler/status/833393294268731392

Haha. The racists are gonna run him out of town by year 3.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Haha Dexter you have no idea what you signed up for, buddy.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

DeepDickPizza posted:

:smith:

He's gonna have a bad time. :(

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Fowler well on his way to being the first Cardinals player to be consistently booed at Busch and applauded at Wrigley.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

Fowler well on his way to being the first Cardinals player to be consistently booed at Busch and applauded at Wrigley.

Fowler will be the first batter the Cubs face in the 2017 season.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I honestly hope he hits a dinger, just for the story it'll generate.

And then I hope the Cards trade him back to the Cubs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

And I'm sure it'll be an incredible frustrating 8-10 pitch AB that results in Fowler drawing a lead off walk and eventually coming around to score. And that's fine because Fowler owns.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

DeepDickPizza posted:

See, his Twitter and general adorableness have me okay with the overpay for his later years. Then again, the only Cardinals jersey I wear is Curt Flood's because Curt Flood was awesome. I may be a bit of an oddity among Cardinals fans.

PS: Everyone should read "A Well-Paid Slave".

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Craptacular! posted:

Unfortunately my friend never even got as far as being some late round bust because a shoulder injury claimed him in high school. School coaches give no fucks about your future, especially if you're the pitcher.

Jeff Passan was signal boosting people on Twitter naming and shaming high school coaches who ran pitchers into the ground last spring. It was horrifying.

SupahDren
Jul 19, 2002
My girlfriend, Ana, loves me.
Grimey Drawer
I like baseball and would like to join an mlb.tv group if that is happening here (and if it isn't, sorry...but still pm me if you have a spot)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

Jeff Passan was signal boosting people on Twitter naming and shaming high school coaches who ran pitchers into the ground last spring. It was horrifying.

That was pretty upsetting.

I think Passan overlooks that proving that you're durable as well as talented is how guys make it to the next level, whether that's college or professional baseball. I don't think coaches should knowingly run players into the ground since helping kids succeed and get to the next phase of their life is a basic tenant of coaching but showing injury issues as a teenager is one of the ways a lot of talented young players end up focusing on hitting instead of pitching.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Sydin posted:

oops

https://twitter.com/2xBirds/status/833383747634528257

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

They're just mad because Dex expressing sympathy for people who are more vulnerable than him might violate the team's handshake deal with the devil.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I still love Dex, but being a rational and decent human being is going to make his time in st Louis Hell. I hope he can get traded somewhere cool.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Man I consistently mix up Fowler and Heyward in my head, I'm sorry everbody.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mallex Smith is awesome and the Rays fans are lucky he landed with their team.

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/status/833340412077211649/photo/1

He seems like a really cool guy. I only saw him interviewed once, at Braves Fan Fest last winter, and he was clearly trying not to laugh his way off his stool at the absurdity of the bad questions he was being asked by the panel host but he handled them all without falling back on a single lovely cliche.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SupahDren posted:

I like baseball and would like to join an mlb.tv group if that is happening here (and if it isn't, sorry...but still pm me if you have a spot)

MLB.TV brought the hammer down last year and starting banning for account sharing. I have no idea how I dodged the bullet on that. Regardless it's safe to say the party is over.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

MLB.TV brought the hammer down last year and starting banning for account sharing. I have no idea how I dodged the bullet on that. Regardless it's safe to say the party is over.

gently caress that poo poo. I'm gonna run this poo poo into the ground.

I've possibly got one more spot open in my group if anyone wants in. PM me.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Jose Oquendo posted:

They started banning for using VPNs to defeat blackouts, not for account sharing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Not that Cleveland fans would have been any nicer to him, but man I wish we'd signed Dex, they need a leadoff guy. Sanatna ain't cuttin' it and Kipnis is better suited in the #2 spot.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not that Cleveland fans would have been any nicer to him, but man I wish we'd signed Dex, they need a leadoff guy. Sanatna ain't cuttin' it and Kipnis is better suited in the #2 spot.

Santana walks 100 times per year and is a top 25 guy in baseball for OBP. He's a great lead-off hitter, speed aside (he was actually their best hitter last year among every day players).

What they really needed Fowler for was playing CF since Naquin is not good at it.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

tadashi posted:

Mallex Smith is awesome and the Rays fans are lucky he landed with their team.

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/status/833340412077211649/photo/1

He seems like a really cool guy. I only saw him interviewed once, at Braves Fan Fest last winter, and he was clearly trying not to laugh his way off his stool at the absurdity of the bad questions he was being asked by the panel host but he handled them all without falling back on a single lovely cliche.

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2017/1/16/14281230/the-10-best-moments-of-the-mallex-smith-era-mariners

Edit - PM sent on mlbtv spot.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 20, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Luigi Thirty posted:

Keith Law routinely does the same, mostly with college managers.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

bewbies posted:

Man I consistently mix up Fowler and Heyward in my head, I'm sorry everbody.

He played a year there then went to Cubs so its kind of ingrained. At least Fowler should play well enough that the droning white fanbase wont look to lynch him on two fronts, jesus christ.

Its sort of like the Colin Kaepernick effect:

Decent/Good on the field + politics = hmm there appears to be a stir
Bad on the field + politics = punching bag

I'm not a very big Cardinals fan :downs:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Are we doing a Meet the Teams thread again this year?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I met Mallex a few times last spring at Braves ST and he was far and away the nicest guy on the team.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

saintonan posted:

They started banning for using VPNs to defeat blackouts, not for account sharing.

Are you sure? I recall in this thread and the sharing thread there were people not using VPNs or DNS things being banned. We figured that the only reason would be account sharing.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Julio Cruz posted:

Probably but last year's thread wasn't until about a week or so before opening day

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I might be a little late to little league chat, but in 4th grade I played on the Phillies. Every team had a local sponsor and while some teams had cool sponsors like the local pizza place or restaraunt, we were proudly sponsored by:

METRO THERAPY

For some reason the font on our shirts was about 4 times bigger than any other team too, which was pretty great. Having psychiatrist office sponsor our team was pretty apt though as I think we lost every single game that year.

And how can we talk about best threads ever without bringing up the BILLY MAYS APPRECIATION THREAD

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

tadashi posted:

Santana walks 100 times per year and is a top 25 guy in baseball for OBP. He's a great lead-off hitter, speed aside (he was actually their best hitter last year among every day players).

What they really needed Fowler for was playing CF since Naquin is not good at it.

I agree about the CF aspect but I feel like Santana doesn't make enough contact, plus the lack of speed.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Julio Cruz posted:

:justpost:

Or wait until the WBC/more Spring Training battles are decided

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I agree about the CF aspect but I feel like Santana doesn't make enough contact, plus the lack of speed.

How you reach when leading off is pretty unimportant. He sees a lot of pitches and reaches base at a high rate.

You can argue that his power is underutilized when he's guaranteed to start around a quarter of his at bats with the bases empty. But there's a decent amount of pop elsewhere in the lineup.

• Locked thread