Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

exquisite tea posted:

FWIW this is kind of why the romances in Bioware games have always come off as bizarre and downright skeezy to me at times. You're taking something like sexuality and gamifying it so that there are rulesets for how you can get each character to like you, what dialogue choices to make so that they'll eventually wanna gently caress, the apex of your achievement being when they do actually say let's gently caress, and so on. Most of the romanceable characters rarely fight you back, or challenge your opinions, or refuse to sleep with the PC even if they do something totally opposed to what that character believes in. It's just a weird gamey delivery system for players to privately get their rocks off with alien spacebabes instead of trying to imagine how a romantic relationship might actually function in a responsive way. This is confirmed by posters who are really into Bioware romances here historically being really well-adjusted and totally not at all weirdly obsessive about their space waifus.

Solas even breaks up your relationship on his own. And he has clear motivations/his own agenda apart from the player character.

New Ryders are looking good. After the gameplay trailer, I'm cautiously optimistic about Andromeda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Torrannor posted:

Solas even breaks up your relationship on his own. And he has clear motivations/his own agenda apart from the player character.

this is why romancing solas is the best option imo
also what i liked about romancing alastair if you try to king him, in that case it is possible to keep the relationship, but you have to actually argue for it and justify it

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Why do all the female chars look kinda strange and hosed up compared to the male chars?

Goons don't seem to be used to seeing a woman that isn't 2D and on a pillow case.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Torrannor posted:

New Ryders are looking good. After the gameplay trailer, I'm cautiously optimistic about Andromeda.

They are the same as before. The only change in those character kits was the lighting settings. Lighting has a massive effect on how a person/character looks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Why do all the female chars look kinda strange and hosed up compared to the male chars?

They all look hosed up and that's because we're seeing 3D models without the right lighting/shaders to make them work.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Can you change both of the siblings faces or just the one you run around as?

(Story spoiler)And didn't I hear somewhere that the other sibling gets messed up somehow and that's why they can't be a squad member? It'd be funny if their faced gets horribly scarred or burned and they look the same no matter how you design them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Schubalts posted:

They are the same as before. The only change in those character kits was the lighting settings. Lighting has a massive effect on how a person/character looks.

Anyone who has played ME should already know this because it's crazy how different characters look when they are on the character creation screen rather than when you first load up the game

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dexo posted:

Anyone who has played ME should already know this because it's crazy how different characters look when they are on the character creation screen rather than when you first load up the game

And the ME character creator was downright good compared to the Inquisition one in regards to the lighting.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hobo Clown posted:

Can you change both of the siblings faces or just the one you run around as?

(Story spoiler)And didn't I hear somewhere that the other sibling gets messed up somehow and that's why they can't be a squad member? It'd be funny if their faced gets horribly scarred or burned and they look the same no matter how you design them.

Yes. You can edit the one you will play and then your sibling. Dad will most resemble the one you play.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hoping some of the old races are still in the mp, wanna play me some Geth

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Flipswitch posted:

Hoping some of the old races are still in the mp, wanna play me some Geth

We know there are Krogan, Asari, Turians and Salarians in the MP from that promotional image they put out a while back. I really, really doubt we'll get the Geth thougg

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

More likely you'll get mechs or Remnant machines who play the same way. If they bring Geth into MP at launch people will complain Bioware is "lazy" for not coming up with something new. Of course, if it plays too different people will complain that they didn't just bring the Geth back, screw the lore.

Bottom line, I expect Geth may get added to a "don't think too hard about it" multiplayer pack as a companion piece with Quarians at some point.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah that's fair, can already seeing the points saying we're going to another galaxy to end up with a squad from the milky way, I just think the Geth and Quarians are the best aliens Bioware has come up with in the series.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

marshmallow creep posted:

Bottom line, I expect Geth may get added to a "don't think too hard about it" multiplayer pack as a companion piece with Quarians at some point.
Yeah, looking at the wacky stuff they added in ME3MP as DLC later on, with some very vague handwavey explanations, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we got something like "Oh look, turns out a bunch of Volus stowed away on one of the arks and were just discovered, so now you get to play as BIOTIC GODS" somewhere down the line.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah that's fair, can already seeing the points saying we're going to another galaxy to end up with a squad from the milky way, I just think the Geth and Quarians are the best aliens Bioware has come up with in the series.

This one feels that you are mistaken.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Geth are also like the single lore species you couldn't justify (along with the Awakened Collector I guess). Everyone else could feasibly have tagged along for shits and giggles but the Geth are literally at war with all the milky way species when they launched the initiative (especially since they 'attacked the Citadel' with Sovereign) and they would have 0 reason to cooperate if they did end up in Andromeda.

You could probably still have them as an enemy faction if you said they just sent out a ship to explore andromeda like one hundred years previous for some reason. But that'd be weird and kinda dumb.

On the other hand they did the Awakened Collector in ME3 along with the Cerberus dudes so :shrug:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I can see a dlc centered on Geth appearing in Andromeda, and working with Quarians who traveled on the Nexus to find out how they got there; in conjucture with new Geth and Quarian multiplayer characters.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 19, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I still want a playable reaper.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
The easiest way to bring Geth and other minor races to multiplayer is that they are there as training models in simulations. It's a pretty simple handwave. Though I'd like them to just say "geth are awesome here they are in multiplayer."

"Oh and batarians punching faces like ripe watermelons? Them too!"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The biggest stumbling block for adding things to multi is basically going to be if they exist as models in the game and can be repurposed like EDI/the Geth/Volus etc. I'm pretty sure the only things added to multi that never appeared in SP are the Collectors which were ported from ME2.

I'd expect a lot of random Andromedan races and more variations on confirmed species before we'll see old poo poo they need to make new models for. I mean, hell; the Drell model is just literally Thane, Volus is the generic Volus, Infil model is EDI etc.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 19, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

FWIW this is kind of why the romances in Bioware games have always come off as bizarre and downright skeezy to me at times. You're taking something like sexuality and gamifying it so that there are rulesets for how you can get each character to like you, what dialogue choices to make so that they'll eventually wanna gently caress, the apex of your achievement being when they do actually say let's gently caress, and so on. Most of the romanceable characters rarely fight you back, or challenge your opinions, or refuse to sleep with the PC even if they do something totally opposed to what that character believes in. It's just a weird gamey delivery system for players to privately get their rocks off with alien spacebabes instead of trying to imagine how a romantic relationship might actually function in a responsive way. This is confirmed by posters who are really into Bioware romances here historically being really well-adjusted and totally not at all weirdly obsessive about their space waifus.

Very true.

It's why I summed up BG2's cast as I did, because they do all those things. They don't just fall into CHARNAME's arms. They push back, challenge your opinions and leadership, and each character that you can romance will break things off if you say things they dislike and there may be tension between party members and their previous/concurrent relationships.

Meanwhile, in their more recent releases, you just basically press x to continue down the path.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Milky Moor posted:

Bioware's characters aren't exactly realistic. They're cinematic personalities designed to make the player feel good and rarely, if ever, act against the protagonist or demonstrate initiative on their own. Origins might have been the one game where it seemed like Bioware made an actual deal about character sexuality and the greater world, but it's become increasingly strange to see certain relationships gated behind gender as their games have gone on.
I don't think gender-neutrality in games is good either - men and women don't have the same experiences, particularly when it comes to romance - but I'm yet to see any compelling player romance paths where I sit there and go, ah, yes, I see why this character is utterly straight. I remember plenty of people in the ME2 thread being confused by the fact that Tali runs through about 3/4 of her romance dialogue with female Shepards before suddenly stopping. It's all just so arbitrary.

I'm sorry, but are you saying Femshep CAN'T romance Tali??? :psyduck:

You could have loving fooled me. I had no idea. If that's true that's so goddamned weird.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drifter posted:

I'm sorry, but are you saying Femshep CAN'T romance Tali??? :psyduck:

You could have loving fooled me. I had no idea. If that's true that's so goddamned weird.

Nope. FemShep has most of the dialogue with Tali that MShep does, I think missing two conversations down in Tali's room and then an actual romance scene. If you romance Garrus in 3, you can catch a drunk Tali in Citadel fantasizing about a threesome. :v:

Supposedly, Tali and Thane had been planned to be bi romance options for 2 but were cut late in development.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

More likely you'll get mechs or Remnant machines who play the same way. If they bring Geth into MP at launch people will complain Bioware is "lazy" for not coming up with something new. Of course, if it plays too different people will complain that they didn't just bring the Geth back, screw the lore.

I'm sorry, but if Andromeda doesn't have a story hook where one or more Geth didn't smuggle themselves aboard the ships because they were curious then gently caress Bioware. :colbert:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Zore posted:

Geth are also like the single lore species you couldn't justify (along with the Awakened Collector I guess). Everyone else could feasibly have tagged along for shits and giggles but the Geth are literally at war with all the milky way species when they launched the initiative (especially since they 'attacked the Citadel' with Sovereign) and they would have 0 reason to cooperate if they did end up in Andromeda.

You could probably still have them as an enemy faction if you said they just sent out a ship to explore andromeda like one hundred years previous for some reason. But that'd be weird and kinda dumb.

On the other hand they did the Awakened Collector in ME3 along with the Cerberus dudes so :shrug:
Bugger the lore it's the MP, there's robot dudes and they're awesome, kill organics. That said, I didn't play that late into ME3s dlc as I had it on console with friends at the time, didn't even realise they added a Collector, that's awesome.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Standing by my belief that all remaining Milky Way races are coming in as part of a DLC. Bioware has mentioned once or twice that there's a hook to bring geth/volus/batarians in if they want to and I'm pretty sure that'll be a result of an emergency Ark launched as a contingency plan mid-ME3

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

Standing by my belief that all remaining Milky Way races are coming in as part of a DLC. Bioware has mentioned once or twice that there's a hook to bring geth/volus/batarians in if they want to and I'm pretty sure that'll be a result of an emergency Ark launched as a contingency plan mid-ME3

Ahhh yes, Mass Effect DLC.

For when you want to gently caress new aliens, but also get hosed by Bioware.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i for one embrace this brave new world of 14.99 dlc waifus and.. well i dunno what the term is for guys so we'll call them "waidudes"

fuckpacks? snuggleboxes? barrel-o-dicks?

e: OOOH chock full o nuts!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Mp dlc was all free so I am not sure what you guys are railing against?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Why would they need story hooks to bring in extra characters if it's just for MP? The story hooks would be necessary for story dlc.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

I was being sincere :colbert: i wouldnt buy any multiplayer anything packs or anything though. just like ooh a cool spacehelmet or ohh the james t kirk melee combat pack yay..

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

The only new thing you can gently caress in a ME3 DLC is James.

Drifter posted:

Why would they need story hooks to bring in extra characters if it's just for MP? The story hooks would be necessary for story dlc.

Because like ME3 the MP is tied into the story? Like... there's a bunch of lore and poo poo they tied into multi and from all indications they're doing that again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zore posted:

The only new thing you can gently caress in a ME3 DLC is James.

And Javik.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

And Javik.

Man, Citadel HEAVILY implied that femshep and javik banged.
I just wanted to not bang anybody, Bioware...why'd you force this poo poo upon me?

Zore posted:

Because like ME3 the MP is tied into the story? Like... there's a bunch of lore and poo poo they tied into multi and from all indications they're doing that again.

I always assumed the ME3 multiplayer was what I did as a single player during Citadel, except with real people instead of bots. Are there "story missions" in the multiplayer, or do they just tie it into the game through play points or some such?

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Really, the Geth seem like the race that'd be easiest to sneak onto the Andromeda project. They just need to sneak however many programs they can into some corner of a huge government project, then they can 3D print themselves new bodies when they arrive. Or en route, maybe we get all the new tech from bored AI brainstorming jetpacks for a couple centuries.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

I always assumed the ME3 multiplayer was what I did as a single player during Citadel, except with real people instead of bots. Are there "story missions" in the multiplayer, or do they just tie it into the game through play points or some such?

You play as teams Hackett is dispatching to combat Cerberus/the Reapers/Reaper controlled Geth as part of the war effort. All the original multi maps show up as missions in Single player (Firebase White is a Cerberus lab Shepard raided, MP dudes are sent in as a strike team to do X as followup etc). It also effects the endings you can get in SP as the more missions you do the better the war goes so more war assets count towards the finale. Like on release you could only get the Shepard lives ending by playing a bunch of multi because they're weren't enough war assets in the base game alone. Hell you can retire a max level character and they become a permanent SP war asset like Jack or Kirrahe etc.

They've similarly said the Andromeda multi will be about teams doing things in locations Ryder scouted and you get SP bonuses for playing multi.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 20, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Though to be clear, they have also said multiplayer does not affect endings or anything like that. It is purely for getting goodies as far as SP is concerned.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Drifter posted:

Just you wait, Bioware will hit all the creep points in DLC and make it so you find out that you and your sibling are not blood related.

That's why they're making DadRyder only have resemblance to your character and not your sibling.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Some of the later multiplayer maps were repurposed from other singleplayer areas (eg London), or from stuff that didn't make release (eg Rio).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Thor-Stryker posted:

Just you wait, Bioware will hit all the creep points in DLC and make it so you find out that you and your sibling are not blood related.

That's why they're making DadRyder only have resemblance to your character and not your sibling.

I unironically want Bioware to cross the incest threshold and have people defend it.