Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

craig588 posted:

Chasing numbers just leads to chasing more numbers.

This is just as much of a game sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Wacky Delly posted:

Yeah, but it's pay2win.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
There's a joke somewhere with synergy, market disruption, and monetizing overclocking... I'm too hosed up with various meds atm to concentrate enough to think of it :(

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

EdEddnEddy posted:

Why does it appear that the 970 is at fault here as I have seen that card brought up with this issue more than once?

I've seen it reported by people with 10 series cards, I think it's just because the 970 was such a popular card.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I've seen it reported by people with 10 series cards, I think it's just because the 970 was such a popular card.

Yeah, I have a 1080 and experience it.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Here's a weird thing with my experience with testing on multi monitor. Got a 100 and a 60, gsync disabled, 100 on Titan xp, 60 on integrated. I get horizontal screen tearing that rolls down the screen during any type of activity on my 3440x1440@100. From gaming to gifs. The only thing I haven't tried is turning down refresh on my x34.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Interesting.

I have my 1440P 90hz and 100hz ASUS and don't get this sort of slowdown. (120hz but passive DP-DVI sucks).

Though I get some sort of slowdown with video when certain elements are going on, its usually not enough to be a redraw but more a temporary slowdown from what I can guess is the GPU decoding starting up, or the DRM kicking in. Doesn't happen for locally played content. Hmm

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I got a Zotac GTX 1080 Mini to go in my NFC S4 Mini case and got everything up and running.

The card is pretty nice and overclocks stable to 2080mhz... even benching at 2080mhz for an hour, it only hits a max of 80c and the fans only go up to 40% speed.

The problem is, the rest of the time the fans will never go below 37% fan speed, even with desktop use. All the custom fan curve tools won't let me lower the fan speed below 37%, some let drag the slider lower but they just don't honor the slider and stay at the (very loud) 37% speed.

I heard there's no way to tweak Pascal yet; the Zotac overclocking tool does let me save and load BIOS, is there no way to edit the fan speed floor?

The GPU has a 100mm and a 90mm fan, if I tape the 100mm fan in place, the GPU becomes practically silent and the temps only go up by 1C, but I'd rather not have to resort to unplugging/taping the 100mm fan down if there were a way to low the speed in software.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Last resort/comedy option: reterminate the cards fan cable with a standard 3-pin connector, plug it into the motherboard and drive it however you want :eng101:

Just need some fan control software that can use GPU temp as a data source.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Zero VGS posted:

I got a Zotac GTX 1080 Mini to go in my NFC S4 Mini case and got everything up and running.

The card is pretty nice and overclocks stable to 2080mhz... even benching at 2080mhz for an hour, it only hits a max of 80c and the fans only go up to 40% speed.

The problem is, the rest of the time the fans will never go below 37% fan speed, even with desktop use. All the custom fan curve tools won't let me lower the fan speed below 37%, some let drag the slider lower but they just don't honor the slider and stay at the (very loud) 37% speed.

I heard there's no way to tweak Pascal yet; the Zotac overclocking tool does let me save and load BIOS, is there no way to edit the fan speed floor?

The GPU has a 100mm and a 90mm fan, if I tape the 100mm fan in place, the GPU becomes practically silent and the temps only go up by 1C, but I'd rather not have to resort to unplugging/taping the 100mm fan down if there were a way to low the speed in software.

Afterburner can't change the fan speed? Also how loud is 37%?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VulgarandStupid posted:

Afterburner can't change the fan speed? Also how loud is 37%?

If 37% is bothering him, he's probably in a really quiet room.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

According to bit-tech's review, that model doesn't have a silent/passive mode, and that 37% speed is the lowest it will go. The Zotac GTX 1060 Mini apparently also doesn't go below 40% fan speed, and other models of Pascal cards also don't have a passive mode.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 18, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

I believe some cards have the zero-rpm fan mode disabled because parts of the board (vrm/ram/other components) would heat up too much even when the GPU is idle

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

Last resort/comedy option: reterminate the cards fan cable with a standard 3-pin connector, plug it into the motherboard and drive it however you want :eng101:

Honestly since the range right now is from 37% up to 40%, I could probably plug it into the motherboard and just drive it as some lower fixed RPM forever and it'd never hit 90c.

Of course, now my other problem is coil whine... even with a 75fps cap set with Rivatuner, some games will whine loud enough to be heard from the next room over. I guess that's the price to pay for these super-high frequencies?

SlayVus posted:

If 37% is bothering him, he's probably in a really quiet room.

It's more that my last PC was the most quiet poo poo on the planet, it ran a huge passive cooler on both the CPU and GPU with 140mm fans on each set to the lowest possible RPM, and no coil whine on the RX 480, so yeah that was a dead silent PC.

This new PC is a few feet from me on the desk, and the noises I can pick out are a slight bearing rattle on the CPU's 140mm, the occasionally super-loud coil whine, and the ever-present loud hush of the GPU's 100mm fan.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 18, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If the whines loud enough, you could try RMA.

I'd run the card fan from a motherboard header too. My 1080 doesn't whine, that's at the normal 2ghz.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

If the whines loud enough, you could try RMA.

I'd run the card fan from a motherboard header too. My 1080 doesn't whine, that's at the normal 2ghz.

They give a free year of NewEgg Premier to veterans, so I can return it to them for free, which I might on account of how crazy the whine seems to be honestly.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

repiv posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Gelid-CA-PWM-02-Adapter-Sleeved-Cooler/dp/B005ZKZEQA

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Alright I got zero idea where to put this so here seems like a good start.

I have two monitors and a TV plugged into a GTX 1070 with Windows 10 on the PC. All are in extended desktop. When the TV is off, both monitors flash black for 1-2 seconds every minute or so. I also notice the black flash when the TV is on and I switch to the input the PC is connected to on the TV, but only when I switch and only once. This is a new TV and the interruptions never happened with the old one.

The only other thing I can think of is that I enabled the TV's "enhanced HDMI" setting for the input and am using an HDMI 2.0 cable so it runs at 4K/60. Is there something I have misconfigured in the graphics card drivers or is it the TV misbehaving (probably)?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I would love to check out the Nvidia event...if only for the free food and drinks.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

Alright I got zero idea where to put this so here seems like a good start.

I have two monitors and a TV plugged into a GTX 1070 with Windows 10 on the PC. All are in extended desktop. When the TV is off, both monitors flash black for 1-2 seconds every minute or so. I also notice the black flash when the TV is on and I switch to the input the PC is connected to on the TV, but only when I switch and only once. This is a new TV and the interruptions never happened with the old one.

The only other thing I can think of is that I enabled the TV's "enhanced HDMI" setting for the input and am using an HDMI 2.0 cable so it runs at 4K/60. Is there something I have misconfigured in the graphics card drivers or is it the TV misbehaving (probably)?

Enhanced HDMI might be the issue. Probably some kind of protocol to receive commands to control the TV. You might can check your cables as well. It sounds like the TV is sending some kind of signal to the computer making the computer think you're possibly disconnecting and reconnecting it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Junior Jr. posted:

I would love to check out the Nvidia event...if only for the free food and drinks.
About 12 years ago, I remember Nvidia's cafeteria having a reputation for being the best in Silicon Valley and employees from other companies (like Intel) would go there to eat.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Grog posted:

According to bit-tech's review, that model doesn't have a silent/passive mode, and that 37% speed is the lowest it will go. The Zotac GTX 1060 Mini apparently also doesn't go below 40% fan speed, and other models of Pascal cards also don't have a passive mode.

FWIW I have the Zotac 1070 Mini and it drops all the way to 0% fan speed:

The FSP 1U PSU fan is actually much louder than the 1070 at 100%.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SlayVus posted:

Here's a weird thing with my experience with testing on multi monitor. Got a 100 and a 60, gsync disabled, 100 on Titan xp, 60 on integrated. I get horizontal screen tearing that rolls down the screen during any type of activity on my 3440x1440@100. From gaming to gifs. The only thing I haven't tried is turning down refresh on my x34.

I have a x34 @100hz on a 1080. Gsync enabled. No other monitor connected. I have never seen any tearing.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

About 12 years ago, I remember Nvidia's cafeteria having a reputation for being the best in Silicon Valley and employees from other companies (like Intel) would go there to eat.

They just let people from other companies use their cafeteria?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VostokProgram posted:

They just let people from other companies use their cafeteria?

They didn't always keep very good track, and besides everyone knows someone at every company in the valley. Before the Google/FB free-lobster-on-valentines-day boom, SGI was the big player. I snuck in there a few times as a kid.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Josh Lyman posted:

I assure you that this is no longer true.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh, Russia!

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/56324/russian-nvidia-fanboy-murders-amd-fan/index.html

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Jeez couldn't even wait till Ryzen was released first before stabbing.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At least he went to jail knowing he is right.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001

1gnoirents posted:

3dmark is excellent to verify card (and system) functionality and is one of the easiest form of diagnostics if you suspect issues. Now if thats worth money to someone is another issue (the demo essentially does the same thing but just forces you to watch the demo), but I dont think anybody here is chasing numbers in 3dmark. I've used it quite a bit and I couldn't even guess what my actual scores actually are

I certainly am. Currently holding the 19th spot in the hall of fame for 2x sli in the timespy benchmark http://www.3dmark.com/spy/1125229

Wacky Delly posted:

He's right. I have 60 hours put into 3dmark testing overclocks and voltages. That's more than I put into most games, haha.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Lol well its probably more fun when youre in the 99.9% category lol

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
If you're having screen tearing issues on multi-monitor with high refresh rate screens, it seems that the problem occurs much more frequently with 3+ screens that it does with 2. And I've seen mentioned in the past that a really simple fix is to just run your non-gaming screen(s) off the onboard Intel GPU, if you've got the proper support on your CPU/mobo. This has the added benefit of also fixing the incorrect idle speeds that seem to always seems to pop up with the nVidia drivers when running multiple high refresh screens.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FWIW, dGPU + iGPU tends to crash Photoshop in my experience.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

DarkEnigma posted:

I certainly am. Currently holding the 19th spot in the hall of fame for 2x sli in the timespy benchmark http://www.3dmark.com/spy/1125229

He's right. I have 60 hours put into 3dmark testing overclocks and voltages. That's more than I put into most games, haha.

Scrolling through that I see top of the line thing after top of the line thing: 10 core 6950X, 2x TitanXP (though at only 1500 mhz), poo poo ton of ram, and then down at the very bottom is an 850EVO. Why on earth don't you have an nvme drive?! Come on man, you can easily afford to have it in there; you ostensibly have 8 lanes left over!

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
As someone who used to play with LN pots, drive speeds don't increase your scores. If there was a method of overclocking and benchmarking HDs there'd be people doing it. No sense in spending an extra 100 dollars for a machine you run 2 hours at a time a couple times a month.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I wasn't talking about it as though it was something that could help, but rather that it seems out of place-- given the many other expensive items there-- to have a sata ssd when theres an nvme m.2 slot available. I mean, he's spent the better part of 4 grand on the machines; whats another few hundred?

VVV Ok yeah 900 is quite a sum

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 21, 2017

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
Nvme is next on my list. Also my titans are running around 2000mhz, 3dmark mis reports them as stock for some reason. As craig588 said though, drives don't affect scores so it was last on my list to upgrade. That and I'm in Canada so the 1tb 960 evo pro I'm eyeing is about $900.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Junior Jr. posted:

They don't cater it or hold the event usually at the Nvidia campus, it's usually some Lounge that they hold it at and whatever food the place offers, though usually still good.

The Oculus Launch event was the last thing I went to in SF and the food was pretty good there for what it was.

Fancy Chicken and Waffles with some killer "gourmet" syrups as well as a few other tasty things.

Now the best SF event food I had was an HTC hosted insider dinner. That food was crazy good at the English pub.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yikes I didn't realize EVGA's ACX3.0 -> ICX program was $99. I was expecting them to go half that. It doesnt seem like my GPU needs it, since it has trouble getting into the 70C range.

On another note, are there any reliable rumors that AMD Vega is going to have SFF card lineups? It would be sorta cool downsize from my gigantic 1070 so I could get a much smaller ITX case. Zotac and Gigabyte's SFF 1070s seem sketch to me, the latter because of apparent coil while and the former because I've had meh experience with Zotac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
No one really knows yet. It wouldn't be crazy to think that maybe one of the lower-end Vegas might end up SFF, but I wouldn't expect one out of the gate.