Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I drink so that I don't need to recognize the mundanity and purposeless of my life and my mortality. I feel this is a common ground that all civilizations can use to come together in harmony one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:stare:

McGlockenshire posted:

Journo twitter is in general agreement - his base ate up the vomit he spewed and then sat down to circlejerk about his treatment of the press.

I'm genuinely curious what percentage that actually is, it can't be above 30%.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

BLM in whiteface. That's how they getcha...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViM_TtVrFUc

Freep saw this when they were forty and has been suspicious ever since.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I want to know what part of the brain has to be damaged--and to what degree it must be damaged--to understand how anyone could look at Donald Trump's performance yesterday and think this.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tias posted:

Bang on. Lovecraft was a weirdo, but he actually changed his opinions upon learning facts that challenged his anachronism - Freep just digs a bigger nazi cave.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. He was starting to change his opinions around the time he got terminally sick and died, but he wasn't there yet. Perhaps if he'd been able to actually live another 10 years he'd have actually fully renounced it all.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

fishmech posted:

Well, I wouldn't go that far. He was starting to change his opinions around the time he got terminally sick and died, but he wasn't there yet. Perhaps if he'd been able to actually live another 10 years he'd have actually fully renounced it all.

Yeah the big thing is he was the sort of dude who legitimately believed there was a scientific basis behind the whole race thing and would be persuaded by changing viewpoints on that front. Would that freepers were that way.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Alter Ego posted:

I want to know what part of the brain has to be damaged--and to what degree it must be damaged--to understand how anyone could look at Donald Trump's performance yesterday and think this.

Stockholm syndrome.

As for brash New Yorkers, their thing is really "not beating about the bush" rather than "rambling on incoherently forever." Unless, of course, you are talking about the sort of New Yorker that lives in their supermarket trolley/trash bag collection.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Alter Ego posted:

He is our guy. We are good and only vote for good guys. Thus our guy cannot be bad. If our guy is doing something then it must be good.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Also they are incoherent morons and Trump is handling things with the grace they would

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Alter Ego posted:

Dilbertman posted:

I watched President Trump’s press conference with the alleged “meltdown,” and all I saw was Trump talking the way he normally talks. The Huffington Post watched and apparently saw some other set of circumstances.

The Huffington Post is literally seeing something that is invisible to me and other observers. We see a President Trump talking the way he normally talks. They see a 77-minute meltdown.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hint: he normally talks like he's having a meltdown.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The problem is that this assumes that Trump's normal way of speaking is ordinary, when in fact he always talks like he's making GBS threads his pants.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

The problem is that this assumes that Trump's normal way of speaking is ordinary, when in fact he always talks like he's making GBS threads his pants.

To be fair, it isn't really making that assumption. If he used slightly softer language and everybody wasn't already aware of his politics I don't think saying "uh, that's just how Trump talks" is a controversial statement.

Whether the way he talks is coherent or reasonable is a different question.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Man, it would be sweet if there was a "drug awareness class" that was a basically "how to do drugs primer" like that guy seems to think or hope (I seriously can't tell if that's being sarcastic and/or negative or sincere).

We called them DARE classes where the local cops taught us even being in the same room with narcotics would get you locked up or leave you dead! Kinda like those lovely Brady gun control flash games where just seeing a gun gives you two options. Touch it or leave it alone. Both end in someone getting shot somehow.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

To be fair, it isn't really making that assumption. If he used slightly softer language and everybody wasn't already aware of his politics I don't think saying "uh, that's just how Trump talks" is a controversial statement.

It's not on the face of things in that Trump just compulsively lies about everything possible, but it was interesting in that he kind of crumpled when people pressed on him instead of pressing back or angrily deflecting.

He's starting to do this "well that's what I was told" thing like a middle school student would pull after they get called on making poo poo up and it's not quite as effective as just blasting back at the person asking it. He doesn't seem mentally prepared to have to answer to so many people

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

SocketWrench posted:

We called them DARE classes where the local cops taught us even being in the same room with narcotics would get you locked up or leave you dead!

God, those classes. I'd like to go back in time and see them again today 20 years later.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

They're still happening if you know where to look

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

MANime in the sheets posted:

God, those classes. I'd like to go back in time and see them again today 20 years later.

I can still remember one I had in...1990? 91? Somewhere thereabouts. The cop who taught it was hands-down the least charismatic speaker I have ever heard in my life. Seriously, dude spoke in this plodding, cadence-free drone that was all but designed to put people into a coma.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The only things I remember from DARE are "Don't lick stickers of Mickey Mouse/Superman/other popular cartoons kids these days love because they're laced with LSD" and "People put stronger drugs in weed so you may think weed is harmless but it might actually have cocaine or heroin in it."

I'm too scared to look at Freep today, they're probably jumping for joy over loving Pruitt being confirmed. :(

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Remember the old devil's night/halloween speeches from the local PD?

"razor blades in apples, eyes put out y throwing stuff, egg a house and you die"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
brb, gonna go resist some drugs and violence

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I never had any kind of talk like that over here in France. The only exposure to that kinda thing I've had is through amazing internet videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75sWALt2IzI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYwd0Wus5Ik

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016
I asked my DARE speaker if she had a silencer for her pistol, because this was around the time Goldeneye came out on the N64 and I had my priorities straight.

That's my DARE story, thanks for reading.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Dueling Bandsaws posted:

I asked my DARE speaker if she had a silencer for her pistol, because this was around the time Goldeneye came out on the N64 and I had my priorities straight.

That's my DARE story, thanks for reading.

Well. Did she?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Remember kids, don't play with guns. Unless it's a Klobb. Then play all you want, it can't hurt you.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mantis42 posted:

Remember kids, don't play with guns. Unless it's a Klobb. Then play all you want, it can't hurt you.

rofl

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My main memory of DARE was that I wore a Budweiser lizards t-shirt to my DARE graduation in 5th grade in like 1998 and nobody mentioned it and I didn't even think about it until my parents teased me about it later. School before the 2000s was different

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
E: quote not edit

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I had a bunch of Spuds McKenzie shirts, it was normal back then

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I distinctly remember kids wearing Big Johnson shirts when I was in high school and nobody saying anything.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Alright let's be honest most of the people on this website remember when everybody wore jncos. It's literally a miracle any of my generation learned to dress well when it was once cool to wear three to four pairs of pants' worth of fabric at once.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Shugojin posted:

Alright let's be honest most of the people on this website remember when everybody wore jncos. It's literally a miracle any of my generation learned to dress well when it was once cool to wear three to four pairs of pants' worth of fabric at once.

I'm so glad we switched to skinny jeans in my era.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Chichevache posted:

I'm so glad we switched to skinny jeans in my era.

Get off my lawn.

So, anyone want to check how freep's reacted to Trump's literal campaign rally today? (Yes, they registered for the 2020 race back in January, and this is literally a campaign event.)

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Shugojin posted:

I don't. Suck it old man.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

McGlockenshire posted:

Get off my lawn.

So, anyone want to check how freep's reacted to Trump's literal campaign rally today? (Yes, they registered for the 2020 race back in January, and this is literally a campaign event.)

Really? I can't find anything on him already being registered for 2020.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

SirSamVimes posted:

Really? I can't find anything on him already being registered for 2020.

Private browsing window Google results for "trump campaign registered for 2020":

USA Today: Trump already plotting 2020 re-election (complete with slogan)

Wasington Post: Donald Trump’s new 2020 campaign slogan is out, and it’s very, well, Donald Trump

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_presidential_campaign,_2020

The wikipedia page contains sources for today's rally being a campaign event.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Twelve by Pies posted:

I distinctly remember kids wearing Big Johnson shirts when I was in high school and nobody saying anything.

Those and parachute pants cause you can't touch this, hammer time.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I remember having a DARE cop who went into detail about how mind-bendingly rear end-kickingly amazingly fantastic it is to listen to music while hosed up on weed and then as a coda he was like "uh but that's not a good enough reason to do it"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

tacodaemon posted:

I remember having a DARE cop who went into detail about how mind-bendingly rear end-kickingly amazingly fantastic it is to listen to music while hosed up on weed and then as a coda he was like "uh but that's not a good enough reason to do it"

:hfive: that's the way to police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
I'm still too mentally exhausted to dive back into freep, but here's some freepers IRL.

Local conservative activists prepare for violent confrontation with Islam

Their site is getting slaughtered right now, but there's an archive link available: http://archive.is/iY3AS

"Local" here is the Winston-Salem-ish area in North Carolina.

quote:

The 20 or so people who attended the meeting at Captain Tom’s Seafood needed little convincing from presenter Tom Jones, who soldiered through frequent interruptions about supposed Muslim treachery paired with testimonials about preparedness for violent confrontation and even expressions of readiness to kill Muslims.

“Do you have any recommendations as to how we could stop this?” asked Frank del Valle, a Winston-Salem resident whose Facebook page identifies him as a retired federal employee and native of Cuba, near the end of the hourlong presentation. “Because my only recommendation is to start killing the hell out them.”

quote:

Del Valle said his views on Islam have been shaped by his longstanding opposition to the Castro regime in Cuba.

“I’m the kind of guy — my country was lost to the communists,” he said. “For a long time I saw how they achieved that. And the Muslims are doing the exact same thing. So I am very aware of that. I have been talking about that for a long time.”

quote:

Reading from notes on a yellow legal pad in the dining hall at Captain Tom’s, Tom Jones outlined a set of charges that wove mundane day-to-day happenstance with unsubstantiated claims about Muslim subversion of the American court system.

“The Muslim Brotherhood is behind all that terrorism and violent acts, but they’re also here operating in America in a very stealthy mode,” he said. “They’ve infiltrated the judiciary. They have judges that are elected to the bench. These judges are expected to make rulings from the bench here in America according to sharia law even though it’s not a sharia court. If you’ve got a Muslim judge he’s required to try you under sharia law. These people are in high positions of influence often behind the scenes in government, academia, medicine, the media. How many of you have been to a hospital and seen the doctors that are running around in the hospital?”

quote:

Watkins went on to suggest that US Rep. Keith Ellison, the only Muslim member of US Congress who is a candidate to lead the Democratic National Committee, is part of the Muslim Brotherhood’s so-called “stealth jihad” movement.

“He is trying to assimilate others to the culture,” Watkins said. “That’s what Keith Ellison is doing. That’s why he didn’t take an Arabic name.”