Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Alhazred posted:

It also have the best line of all the X-Men movies. You know the one.

"What happens to a toad that gets hit by lightning?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

starkebn posted:

"What happens to a toad that gets hit by lightning?"

Throg: Origins

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

UmOk posted:

Explain

Marvel films tend to deploy non-jokes as an ersatz laugh track. This can undermine even the handful of actual jokes on the films:

Zoe Saldana: Your ship is filthy.
Quill: Oh, she has no idea. If I had a blacklight, this would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.
Raccoon: You got issues, Quill.

The Jackson Pollock joke is a good one because it cements Quill as a Captain Kirk sort of figure (or, rather, a person self-consciously trying to model himself after such a pulp hero) who takes pride in the number of different aliens he's hosed. This reflects the overall narrative that these ostensibly 'filthy' criminals actually slot in perfectly - pose no challenge to - the distinctly Trek-like Federation. All the potty-mouth is a distraction from the fundamental safeness of the film.

The non-joke is that last line from the raccoon. He's saying "you got issues", and that's funny because it's a snarky thing to say! But it's not actually funny; it's just exposition. The raccoon is explaining that Quill just told a dirty joke. He's explaining that Quill has issues stemming from the death of his mom. It's a laugh track / groan track. A pause in the film to let the audience laugh or groan.

This punching-up is obviously forced, because how does Rocket know about Jackson Pollock and American pulp scifi? Or is the non-joke that Rocket doesn't like sex? Does Rocket even know Quill well enough at this point to comment on his 'issues'?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-zYoocu2Jo

Looks nice but it still baffles me they intend to pit this Kong against Godzilla.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/4eyedRaven/status/833197046022565889

:haw:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 19, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Marvel films tend to deploy non-jokes as an ersatz laugh track. This can undermine even the handful of actual jokes on the films:

Zoe Saldana: Your ship is filthy.
Quill: Oh, she has no idea. If I had a blacklight, this would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.
Raccoon: You got issues, Quill.

The Jackson Pollock joke is a good one because it cements Quill as a Captain Kirk sort of figure (or, rather, a person self-consciously trying to model himself after such a pulp hero) who takes pride in the number of different aliens he's hosed. This reflects the overall narrative that these ostensibly 'filthy' criminals actually slot in perfectly - pose no challenge to - the distinctly Trek-like Federation. All the potty-mouth is a distraction from the fundamental safeness of the film.

The non-joke is that last line from the raccoon. He's saying "you got issues", and that's funny because it's a snarky thing to say! But it's not actually funny; it's just exposition. The raccoon is explaining that Quill just told a dirty joke. He's explaining that Quill has issues stemming from the death of his mom. It's a laugh track / groan track. A pause in the film to let the audience laugh or groan.

This punching-up is obviously forced, because how does Rocket know about Jackson Pollock and American pulp scifi? Or is the non-joke that Rocket doesn't like sex? Does Rocket even know Quill well enough at this point to comment on his 'issues'?

Rocket said that because Quill just told him there is cum everywhere.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

For real though Jackman's casting was weird in retrospect. Every other rumor, list, whatever had them going for a short stocky dude. It's interesting how they went in like the total opposite direction with their final choice. But with eash passing movie he gets more and more like comic Wolverine, it's cool. Aesthetically they knew what was up though, movie X-Men Wolverine is like an exact character design from the year 2000 and ended up being an inspired choice.

Remember, Jackman wasn't even the original choice, and we have John Woo to thank for it: Because Mission: Impossible 2's shooting ran several weeks long, Dougray Scott was stuck in Australia and couldn't report to Ontario on time for filming, so they had to call in Jackman at the last minute.

LesterGroans posted:

the finale has kind of looped around to being interesting and quaint compared to 15 years of world-ending Blue Sky Lasers.

Yeah, it doesn't even feel like it's in the same series as stuff like Apocalypse.

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 19, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Grendels Dad posted:

Very good! That is literally what happened in the plot of the movie, as recapped at the start of my post.

The point, however, is that plot exposition and jokes are different.

Exposition can tell you something is 'supposed to be' funny, but it is not itself actually funny.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

There is no particular reason for Rocket to get that out of what StarLord said though, it basically ruins the entire joke as soon as the initial chuckle is over.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

There is no particular reason for Rocket to get that out of what StarLord said though
All sentient life knows about their jizz glowing in blacklight. It is canon.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
Technically, wouldn't Rocket Racoon be the closest to a blood relative of Quill of the whole cast? They're both transplanted mammals from Earth.

e: the redemptive reading here is that Rocket is a more honest reflection of Quill's mutilated psyche and is actually just clarifying that Quill is admitting that he's even more hosed up than he appears on the surface.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 19, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Comic Book Movie Megathread: Is Jizz Funny?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah in retrospect a space alien not understanding the reference would be a funnier (or actual) joke, and it's a super obvious setup. This just sets a snarky tone.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

What's not to understand though? A woman says your place is filthy and you nudge the guy next to you in the ribs and waggle your eyebrows, I'm sure we've all been there. Also, would the target audience of the movie know more about Pollock than a space raccoon?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

What's not to understand though? A woman says your place is filthy and you nudge the guy next to you in the ribs and waggle your eyebrows, I'm sure we've all been there. Also, would the target audience of the movie know more about Pollock than a space raccoon?

Would an elementary student know anything about Pollock?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Putting jokes on top of jokes do not make either funnier. See: the first season of MST3K.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Also, would the target audience of the movie know more about Pollock than a space raccoon?

Wait, what? Is your argument that the "target audience" doesn't get the reference? Wouldn't that make it an even worse joke?

If the filmmakers thought nobody would understand the reference they would have used a different and better reference. A space raccoon should know nothing about a painter from Earth that died 60 years ago. This is not to say that it's completely incomprehensible but "you've got issues" still isn't as funny as a number of actual jokes they could've done.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The problem isn't that Rocket shouldn't know who Pollock is, the problem is that his "joke" is lame and unnecessary.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah in retrospect a space alien not understanding the reference would be a funnier (or actual) joke, and it's a super obvious setup. This just sets a snarky tone.

This also happens later when Quill brings up the Ark of the Covenant when someone in the group asks about their MacGuffin orb thingie and nobody goes "I have no idea what you're talking about".

The reference itself is bad enough, since it's saying "hey look we have a godlike power thingie that some bad guys want, just like that movie!", but that it just lets the fabric of the fiction break without comment - absolutely nobody else on that ship would have any idea about what Indiana Jones or ancient Biblical mythology is and one of them, if he even knows what an ark is, probably thinks of it as a giant boat - is this weird, profoundly irritating thing to me.

Gunn has admitted that he handed off his draft to Marvel and they rewrote it a bit during the pre-production process (he brought this up when Wright left Ant-Man after Marvel took his final polish and rewrote it, phrasing it as just a part of working on something this big), so it wouldn't surprise me if the most referential joke he had in there originally was the Kevin Bacon joke, since it's got a clear setup and payoff scattered across about an hour of the movie, it got laughs at table reads, and Feige or someone said "put more referential stuff in there, it plays gangbusters" and we ended up with weird one-offs that ignore that Quill and everyone else have gigantically different backgrounds and that talking about Jackson Pollack and Raiders of the Lost Ark a million miles from Earth would be like speaking Chinese to a lost African tribe.

It smacks of real lazy screenwriting, one way or another. It's tucking exposition - repetitious exposition at that, since the movie at that point has told and shown us more than enough about how powerful the Gem is and that Quill is a man child whose development as a person was arrested in 1988 when he got abducted - into a reference to another (better) movie solely for the sake of the audience. It's a loving DreamWorks joke.

Edit: oh god it's even worse, he also references the Maltese Falcon and this follows Rocket actually asking what a raccoon is. I forgot how early it actually happens in the movie, though, but the movie's already intimated how dangerous this ball they were all scrambling around was with the Ronan introduction.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 19, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm enjoying the direction this conversation is going because it's implying that the production of Guardians of the Glaaxy didn't take into account how funny an alien not understanding earth metaphors can be with the right writing and delivery.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LesterGroans posted:

The problem isn't that Rocket shouldn't know who Pollock is, the problem is that his "joke" is lame and unnecessary.

Well, really, it's both.

The joke is lame and uneccessary, but the result is that Hodgepodge is right: because the joke is unnecessary, Rocket is reduced to a mere extension of Quill's character. The Rocket character stops making sense as a distinct individual, which pushes the film into a lame 'it's all in Quill's head' narrative.

See also how the tattoo guy understands figures of speech whenever it's narratively convenient.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-zYoocu2Jo

Looks nice but it still baffles me they intend to pit this Kong against Godzilla.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/4eyedRaven/status/833197046022565889

:haw:

He looks so old. I hope he takes a break soon. :(

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, really, it's both.

The joke is lame and uneccessary, but the result is that Hodgepodge is right: because the joke is unnecessary, Rocket is reduced to a mere extension of Quill's character. The Rocket character stops making sense as a distinct individual, which pushes the film into a lame 'it's all in Quill's head' narrative.

See also how the tattoo guy understands figures of speech whenever it's narratively convenient.

It is odd that they have a perfectly good setup for jokes and they don't take advantage of it at all. Why wouldn't they play off the fact that no one would get his pop culture references?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"What the hell is a Jackson Pollock?"

"Well, he's this guy on earth, who made splatter paintings..."

"???"

"I'm talking about my jizz, Rocket! My JIZZZ ON THE WALLS!"

"I'm not a fan of Jizz. It's just noise"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm enjoying the direction this conversation is going because it's implying that the production of Guardians of the Glaaxy didn't take into account how funny an alien not understanding earth metaphors can be with the right writing and delivery.

bringing up drax kinda underlines the point actually; 'not getting poo poo' is his one comedic gimmick so all the other aliens do get rando earth references(or at least don't make note of it) because otherwise they'd be stepping on drax's Thing

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Rocket already did not know what a raccoon was. He might not know who Pollock is either, the joke is that Starlord's horniness transcends cultural borders.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Okay so NOW the joke is bad and hurts the entire movie because aliens DO get the joke. Got it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Okay so NOW the joke is bad and hurts the entire movie because aliens DO get the joke. Got it.

They get the joke although they might not get the reference.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Grendels Dad posted:

It's time for Image Comics to find the happy balance between the two and make all the money in the world.

Or possibly Chaos! Comics.

VALIAAAANT
...and their loaded Chinese backers

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

uhhhhhh what?

I think you might be projecting here, people are just using it as an example of a bad joke

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't think it's one joke falling flat that brings down the film, so much that the manner of the joke betrays a lack of confidence on behalf of the screenwriters/the director/the studio (circle one) and that can bring down the film.

If it seems that even the people creating the film don't have faith in it, the audience has less incentive to approach it sincerely.

Edit: this is not a criticism of Guardians of the Galaxy alone. Most Marvel films seems to lean heavily on irony to encourage the audience away from investing themselves too deeply into their films.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 19, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

uhhhhhh what?

I think you might be projecting here, people are just using it as an example of a bad joke

On this page so far we've seen that it indicates to the audience they should have no faith in the movie because the writers obviously didn't, and also that it makes it impossible for Rocket to be a unique character from Quill.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Using emotions to heighten other emotions isn't a new concept created by Marvel Studios. You bring someone way down, and then boost them way up. It works really well, and helps keep the audience engaged, emotionally in what's happening.

Like, that joke in BvS (He's a friend of mine. I kinda figured!) works only because it comes directly after a very intense action sequence. The emotional high of the scene counter balances with the joke and it does work. If that joke came during a lesser sequence, it wouldn't have landed.

I dunno, this discussion is lame because feeling things in movies is real good.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Using emotions to heighten other emotions isn't a new concept created by Marvel Studios. You bring someone way down, and then boost them way up. It works really well, and helps keep the audience engaged, emotionally in what's happening.

Like, that joke in BvS (He's a friend of mine. I kinda figured!) works only because it comes directly after a very intense action sequence. The emotional high of the scene counter balances with the joke and it does work. If that joke came during a lesser sequence, it wouldn't have landed.

This is really hilarious. You might as well start talking about how GotG ideally provides 100 c of Trazotine with minimal risk of emotional overdose. Or how it provides bellyfeel.

Oldthinkers unbellyfeel Marvel.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is really hilarious. You might as well start talking about how GotG ideally provides 100 c of Trazotine with minimal risk of emotional overdose. Or how it provides bellyfeel.

Oldthinkers unbellyfeel Marvel.

Hey you know what, I made you feel something. So that's good and cool.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

No one is arguing that Marvel movies are making audiences feel things and that's bad.

Rather, the argument is that Marvel movies are purposely encouraging audiences not to feel. Regardless of if that's good or bad, it's weak.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 19, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

On this page so far we've seen that it indicates to the audience they should have no faith in the movie because the writers obviously didn't, and also that it makes it impossible for Rocket to be a unique character from Quill.

No we haven't

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But they do though. That Doctor Strange death scene was really well done, and just because there was a silly moment afterwards, didn't destroy the one before it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Marvel movie-makers do try to make people feel things. It just ends up manipulative like a slick marketing effort. GotG itself is an approximation of cosmopolitan Eurocomics without their sophistication, so their skepticism is reduced to hollow sarcasm and their universality into empty sentimentality. The Eurocomics that GotG (indirectly) approximates favour a cool, level-headed approach. This is why GotG never surpasses it's superior comic book movie predecessor, Fifth Element.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Films are lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

But they do though. That Doctor Strange death scene was really well done, and just because there was a silly moment afterwards, didn't destroy the one before it.

i mean it doesn't 'destroy' it but it shows how quickly the movie is ready to move on from the perfunctory mourning of the mentor character to get back into Laugh Mode

the ancient one's death scene is good in a vacuum but the movie surrounding it gives it short shrift and that's a bummer

• Locked thread