Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Re: GKR chat,

The design was a mutual work of both the team at Weta and Cryptozoic. Initial world concepts and objectives were given to CZE, their in-house design came up with first versions, and things went back and forth with them and Weta for a while with both sides playtesting and modifying. There was also a period in which design was being done with augmented reality components from a third party, but that got dropped at some point I believe, at least for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Has any board game ever managed to successfully pull off AR components?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Speaking of giant robots, Giga-Robo sent out a big "where are we now? update. The tl;dr version is that after getting dicked on trying to find someone to handle fulfillment they're getting individual fulfillment companies by region and once they lock it down in Australia and New Zealand they'll be launching the pledge manager, they have a survey up about releasing KS exclusive minis to everyone instead of simply being exclusive as well as if people would be okay with having a pilot that was supposed to be an expansion incorporated into the main game itself at no extra cost to either backers or the MSRP of the retail version (I have no idea why anyone would object to this but I'm sure someone will), and apparently over December enough people cancelled pledges and asked for refunds due to the holiday crunch that they actually had to roll back on a stretch goal. Fortunately it was for custom card sleeves which I couldn't give less of a poo poo about, and they say that the leftover remainder of the not-quite-enough funds will be incorporated into other parts of the project. Also in order to help speed along project completion when it comes to the unique card art stretch goal they've decided to go with cel-shaded CGI models for the artwork, similar to what Arc System Works did with Guilty Gear Xrd.

Speaking of something that isn't giant robots, I just got a shipping notice for Millennium Blades: Set Rotation.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
So Pinnacle just announced it's first delayed physical shipment...ever, I think? It turns out their distribution warehouse is Knoxville, TN which is currently in the middle of a flu outbreak bad enough that they're closing local schools and it made national news, which is both totally understandable and also awful for the workers+ families.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Millennium Blades is shipping! Can't wait to add in even more cards to my pile of cards.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Merauder posted:

Re: GKR chat,

The design was a mutual work of both the team at Weta and Cryptozoic. Initial world concepts and objectives were given to CZE, their in-house design came up with first versions, and things went back and forth with them and Weta for a while with both sides playtesting and modifying. There was also a period in which design was being done with augmented reality components from a third party, but that got dropped at some point I believe, at least for now.

Ugh they dropped the augmented part? That sucks. Their ideas of using iPads to display what the world would look like and things you could see/do while playing the board game were neat.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Ugh they dropped the augmented part? That sucks. Their ideas of using iPads to display what the world would look like and things you could see/do while playing the board game were neat.

Yeah, it was a pretty rad concept, but was majorly hampering progress. They had too many parties trying to do too many things pulling resources in too many directions, and as far as I can tell, decided to just streamline it and make it a sound table top game first and foremost. I got a chance to playtest one of the AR builds, and the biggest benefit it really gave was allowing there to be a pre-programmed movement system in a synced up game with your opponent instead of a traditional turn-based movement phase. It was cool because, similar to games like X-Wing, you didn't know exactly where your opponent was going to move next, so planning your turn was a bit more difficult strategically. Aside from that though, they had weird stuff like treating some weapons like digital mini-games (firing a bunch of ballistic missiles & in turn defending against the barrage were both little activities on your phone, and at least to me, didn't add much to the experience). Again, purely beta builds and kind of proof of concept tests only, not indicative of what other goals they may have had or what may have otherwise become a final product, but there you go. I think it's for the best, overall.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I guess at least the Terminator KS is promising P&P in the future, but why bother even starting the KS two days earlier (and it's not like The Terminator is a hot commodity atm) when the totality of your gameplay section is this:

"Gameplay

xx2

We will be uploading a gameplay video and print and play on February 17th, so stay tuned! In the mean time, you can learn about our game design team:"

You know what priorities a KS has when it uses up most of the page showing pics of Minis rather than, you know, the actual game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is there anyone in the UK or EU who hasn't received their Apocalypse World 2e books yet? I'm in the UK and still haven't gotten my softcover.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Terminator Print and Play stuff was released.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evildead2/the-terminatortm-the-official-board-game/posts/1810343

Demo stuff plus video.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Is there anyone in the UK or EU who hasn't received their Apocalypse World 2e books yet? I'm in the UK and still haven't gotten my softcover.

On the UK, no book yet for me either.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Flavivirus posted:

On the UK, no book yet for me either.

Cool, thanks - I'm guessing he's not done shipping them yet, then.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Any good trpg KS other than the Watch?

Also, am I wrong in feeling the female and queer representation in the Watch feels tacked on. Like I know I'm opening myself up to an arguement, but, as a bi man, I always felt works that said they'd representing us somewhat lackluster in that aspect. Like, I don't know exactly what I want, but I always preferred how AW did it were it was just there as an option with no comment. Making a big deal out it always felt like it was sayinf we were not normal, you know? Like that it was special and they deserve reward for doing what should just be expected.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Don't think I saw it mentioned in the last page or two, but Backerkit for The Other Side is open with a late pledge option (listed in link): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1334239018/the-other-side-9/posts/1810313

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Covok posted:

Any good trpg KS other than the Watch?

Also, am I wrong in feeling the female and queer representation in the Watch feels tacked on. Like I know I'm opening myself up to an arguement, but, as a bi man, I always felt works that said they'd representing us somewhat lackluster in that aspect. Like, I don't know exactly what I want, but I always preferred how AW did it were it was just there as an option with no comment. Making a big deal out it always felt like it was sayinf we were not normal, you know? Like that it was special and they deserve reward for doing what should just be expected.

I mean it was written from the ground up to be about female and femme non-binary folks fighting an evil darkness that corrupts men - that's a super core part of the game. I was listening to a podcast with Anna Krieder last week and she was saying it was also her attempt to make a standard military low fantasy war story than centered women, as in her experience those stories were normally 100% male - maybe you're seeing the war element overriding the representation element?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
hey guys did you know there are badly run kickstarters other than Far West

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrpgt/robotech-rpg-tacticstm/posts/1811029

to be honest, I think this is a new record - using a different KS to screw up another KS that hasn't even been launched yet.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

clockworkjoe posted:

to be honest, I think this is a new record - using a different KS to screw up another KS that hasn't even been launched yet.

Holy poo poo, a suicide attempt ?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Wow. I hope the guy recovers and I'm glad he didn't succeed.

I also hope GMS doesn't try to kill himself over Far West.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

clockworkjoe posted:

I'm not quite sure what to feel about all this besides, obviously, that I'm glad someone didn't manage to kill themselves and that I hope they get the help they need, but I strongly suspect that using someone's attempted suicide to browbeat unsatisfied Kickstarter backers by going "look what you did, this is your fault" is an insanely lovely and tasteless thing to do, like even beyond most normal standards for elfgame-related lovely tastelessness.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Kai Tave posted:

I'm not quite sure what to feel about all this besides, obviously, that I'm glad someone didn't manage to kill themselves and that I hope they get the help they need, but I strongly suspect that using someone's attempted suicide to browbeat unsatisfied Kickstarter backers by going "look what you did, this is your fault" is an insanely lovely and tasteless thing to do, like even beyond most normal standards for elfgame-related lovely tastelessness.

A good portion of the commenters on the update don't even believe a suicide attempt happened, they trust Kevin that little after all that's been done. Most of the others are complaining about the update in one way or the other.

And at least some of them are blaming Kevin for the whole thing, which doesn't seem entirely unfair to me.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

senrath posted:

A good portion of the commenters on the update don't even believe a suicide attempt happened, they trust Kevin that little after all that's been done. Most of the others are complaining about the update in one way or the other.

And at least some of them are blaming Kevin for the whole thing, which doesn't seem entirely unfair to me.

You'll also notice that nowhere in that update does Kevin at any point express remorse for deciding to let his friend wander into a minefield of angry customers of Kevin's own creation. No "I'm sorry I allowed things to get to this point," no "I should never have let him do this," it's everyone else's fault but never his own.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Kai Tave posted:

I strongly suspect that using someone's attempted suicide to browbeat unsatisfied Kickstarter backers by going "look what you did, this is your fault" is an insanely lovely and tasteless thing to do, like even beyond most normal standards for elfgame-related lovely tastelessness.

So just another day in the life of Kevin Siembieda then

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

So just another day in the life of Kevin Siembieda then

Even by Sembiedian standards this is a new low.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
If you go back through the comments you find the posts from the other guy

quote:

So why me and Rogue Heroes for the Rifts: Board Game. A few years ago when things were going good and Wave 1 was just releasing Kevin was thinking about doing a Rifts board game and was looking to either do it himself or sell the IP rights to someone who could. Ninja Division either didn’t want to do it or was not asked, I really do not know. But in talk with me about finding the misprints in the rulebook for RRT Kevin let it slip that the IP rights for the Rifts: Board Game were available. I had just sold my first board game to another company for a big chunk of money and asked my wife if she would let me risk it on getting the IP rights for the Rifts miniatures and board games. She said yes.

So I gather a group of guys I know and get to work on it. Time goes on I make more money on other board games for various people and learn a ton about the industry. We continue to slowly get sculpts and art done, with me paying for everything as I go and I start to hear problems in the RRT KS. I don’t know much at first but watch as things get steadily worse (in my opinion). I don’t know why it is happening and hear from Kevin that it will all be fixed soon. More time goes by………………a lot of time and it's now. I have a nearly completed board game and have paid an amount that outstrips and individual backer on this KS project and most groups of backers too! And I see what a cluster-F things have become.

While I do still have faith in Kevin to make things right in the end, I don’t know how long that will take. In the meantime, I have to get my Kickstarter going if I am going to meet my contractual obligations to Palladium Books and try to make back at least some of the money my wife let me invest in the Rifts: Board Game. So that leaves me hear talking to you all.

So the dude is out a whole lot of money and opportunity, he comes back to see what's happening, and discovers Kevin's poisoned the well for him spectacularly. Poor guy I hope he recovers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So it essentially comes down to Kevin Siembieda being an irredeemable scumbag of massive proportions to anyone and everyone, as it suits the needs of his ego

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

xiw posted:

If you go back through the comments you find the posts from the other guy

So the dude is out a whole lot of money and opportunity, he comes back to see what's happening, and discovers Kevin's poisoned the well for him spectacularly. Poor guy I hope he recovers.

His initial foray into the comments section actually goes on quite a bit longer:

quote:

Hello Everyone

I am Carmen Bellaire, I have started my own gaming company called Rogue Heroes, and as most of you know I will be doing a Kickstarter for a board game based on the Rifts IP.

So first off, I am a backer of this project too just like you, and I’m in the same boat as all of you. I know that some of you are pissed off at Palladium Books over the MASSIVE delay of Wave 2 of this project. I am disgruntled about it too. It is something of a sore spot between me and Kevin from PB. I too wish he would finish Wave 2 or resolve the matter in some way. Unfortunately, I have NO control over his business or Palladium’s conduct of in regard to this Kickstarter project. Kevin is a friend of mine, the way any one-time co-worker is. I once wrote for him and helped with the RRT rules, but my professional involvement with this project ended there. I have NO influence over this Kickstarter currently. So why am I posting here and now?

Well, you guessed it – I am going to release my Kickstarter soon (a few months) and wanted to state my opinion on things here for all the disgruntled RRT backers before I do.

So why me and Rogue Heroes for the Rifts: Board Game. A few years ago when things were going good and Wave 1 was just releasing Kevin was thinking about doing a Rifts board game and was looking to either do it himself or sell the IP rights to someone who could. Ninja Division either didn’t want to do it or was not asked, I really do not know. But in talk with me about finding the misprints in the rulebook for RRT Kevin let it slip that the IP rights for the Rifts: Board Game were available. I had just sold my first board game to another company for a big chunk of money and asked my wife if she would let me risk it on getting the IP rights for the Rifts miniatures and board games. She said yes.

So I gather a group of guys I know and get to work on it. Time goes on I make more money on other board games for various people and learn a ton about the industry. We continue to slowly get sculpts and art done, with me paying for everything as I go and I start to hear problems in the RRT KS. I don’t know much at first but watch as things get steadily worse (in my opinion). I don’t know why it is happening and hear from Kevin that it will all be fixed soon. More time goes by………………a lot of time and it's now. I have a nearly completed board game and have paid an amount that outstrips and individual backer on this KS project and most groups of backers too! And I see what a cluster-F things have become.

While I do still have faith in Kevin to make things right in the end, I don’t know how long that will take. In the meantime, I have to get my Kickstarter going if I am going to meet my contractual obligations to Palladium Books and try to make back at least some of the money my wife let me invest in the Rifts: Board Game. So that leaves me hear talking to you all.

While it is true I don’t want a hoard of mad RRT backers slamming my Kickstarter out for blood, I know that Kickstarter itself will regulate that. It did on the Savage Rifts Kickstarter which I also backed. I want to be on your side. I would love to pull a white knight and fix all the things going wrong with this KS, but first I have to get my Kickstarter started and funded to prove to Palladium that Rogue Heroes can do get our own project done. As they say money talks and bullshit walks.

My hope for the future would be to take over the miniature and board game rights to all Palladium Books, including Robotech (and in this case Harmony Gold through PB), and do them right! Not to throw stones but the Ninja Division chose the wrong manufacturer for the RRT, they forgot to charge shipping on the Kickstarter and made some other errors (in my opinion), while they meant good, mistakes were made. These were then compounded by Palladium and amplified to the point we are at today.

So where does that leave us, Rogue Heroes and the RRT backers I mean? Well, YOU as the other RRT backers have two choices. Either you can do everything in your power to try and kill the Rifts: Board Game OR you can allow me the chance to complete my Kickstarter in peace.

If you take option one, I will take all steps to prevent it, but calmly and by the rules. But I probably won’t ask for you to be banned unless you get too out of hand. But I believe you would be fighting an uphill battle anyway since all of Palladium loyal Rifts fans and many of the new Savage Rifts players REALLY want me to succeed. After all, Rifts hasn’t ever had really good miniatures, it had the old metal ones, but not the awesome figures we will be producing. And if you chose this route I will write you off, when Kevin asked me to help, as happened in the past on Wave 1, I will simply step away and let it burn. I am under no obligations to help with the RRT but I DO have the contacts and knowledge to help fix it.

Or you can take option two. I don’t ask anything from you, I don’t ask you to help or support me, or give me money or do anything at all. All I ask is please be decent individuals and give me room to succeed or fail on my own. And let those Rifts fans support me as they please. If you do this, basically do nothing, I will be all in for you. Even if my KS crashes and burns I will put my efforts into getting this poo poo straightened out!

While I cannot divert KS funds from a Rifts KS to the Robotech KS, or get anyone a refund. There is a lot I can do that will get things moving along again. I can help Palladium get the RIGHT manufacturer for Robotech and give them the advice and knowledge they are missing.

I have answered repeated questions on the Palladium forums about my project, including coming close to breaching my contract and NDA to be as honest and open as I can be. I want to show you that Rogue Heroes is different and that I can try and make a difference here. Which is also why I am posting here and will listen to the torrent of crap that will surely come of it.

After all, who else is helping? Contacting the FTC, or the Michigan Attorney General, or the Michigan BBB, or anyone else – who cares? According to Kickstarter they (PB) are doing their due diligence in working toward the goal of completing the project, as far as the law goes he has done nothing wrong (in my opinion, if I am wrong, invest in a lawyer). After all, it does say in the Kickstarter guidelines that the estimated delivery times are just that estimated, a project creator can take as much time as they require to complete the project as long as they work on it.

But in the end, it’s all up to you. Collectively you all have the opportunity to TRY and do some damage. Of course, you will be damaging Rogue Heroes, not Palladium, but it might make you feel better. Maybe? Remember, I already have the Rifts IP rights, Palladium got their money from me. Sure they will make some more money from my Kickstarter, but only AFTER I fulfill my rewards to ALL my backers! And you might blunt that a bit, but you will not be able to stop my Kickstarter. After all, my Kickstarter has nothing to do with Palladium and the folks at Kickstarter know it. As far as Kickstarter goes it’s no different that the Savage Rifts KS and that funded without a hitch.

I just felt that it was time that someone actually told you the lay of the land. Kickstarter is great, it’s F-ing awesome, but when things go wrong everyone needs to work together. It like all those with the loudest voice here thought they bought a product off a shelf, not backed a project. Things go wrong in all creative endeavors, then the creator gets things working again, or not. That's it.

Yea, I don’t want to battle with the RRT backers in order to complete my own KS, I am one of you after all. And you can call me a shill for Palladium if you want, call me a liar, call me whatever you want, but my Kickstarter will succeed. And when it does, do you want my next project to be straightening out the problems here. Or not? You decide.

Thanks for your time and attention
Carmen Bellaire
Rogue Heroes

The bolded bit is it seems what people objected to, whether it was intended or not it comes across as someone basically saying "if you gently caress with me I'll make sure that this other project crashes and burns instead of helping it like I totally want," to which several commenters pointed out that Robotech Tactics has already spectacularly failed and there's almost certainly no salvaging it. I'm not really sure I want to speak ill about someone who apparently just attempted suicide but I'd call this an ill-conceived approach to garnering support given the circumstances.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Isn't that the exact same language that KS used in his first big 'blame the backers' rant?

What a loving shithead. I have no sympathy.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
It's a very sad state of affairs regardless of Kevin's recounting, Carmen's a very passionate and enthusiastic individual and to have taken it that deeply and personally is not out of the question.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Kai Tave posted:

The bolded bit is it seems what people objected to, whether it was intended or not it comes across as someone basically saying "if you gently caress with me I'll make sure that this other project crashes and burns instead of helping it like I totally want," to which several commenters pointed out that Robotech Tactics has already spectacularly failed and there's almost certainly no salvaging it. I'm not really sure I want to speak ill about someone who apparently just attempted suicide but I'd call this an ill-conceived approach to garnering support given the circumstances.

He doubles down on a later comment.

Carmel Bellaire aka Rogue Heroes Studio posted:

No, Violenceha, as I said, I don't know what the delays are with the Robotech KS, since I have been too busy building my own game to look into it. But I wanted to lay all the cards on the table, if the RRT backers attack my future KS I will never help find out what is the problem with the Robotech RRT and I am in a position to find out if I want to. But I read nothing but posts here how everyone wants to kill my KS (my personal dream) and if that happens I hope the RRT burns. But if everyone plays nice I will do my damnest to fix these delays. I was just being frank and direct.

Those are some poorly chosen words, to be sure.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I got to meet Carmen Bellaire at last year's GenCon and hear his pitch for the Rifts Board Game at the time. He seemed really passionate about it at the time, and the mock-up models looked pretty nice. There are definitely reasons to be skeptical, most of them typical of any first-time kickstarter project, but the Robotech RPG Tactics kickstarter probably isn't one of them. Looking over things, it looks like Bellaire was taking it on the chin for a long time on the Palladium boards because of people's justifiably strong feelings over the failure of Robotech RPG Tactics. Considering some the harassment he was taking, I can definitely see how he let things get out of hand. Siembieda's usual response to this sort of criticism is disengagement. Bellaire did the opposite, and was left acting on his own as a result.

Part of the main issue is the Siembieda - and Palladium Books as a whole - has never really built a professional culture. In most normal companies, you'd have somebody that handles PR and manages the company's voice. At Palladium Books, that's effectively Siembieda, and Siembieda overshares and overshills in a way a lot of people are familiar with. Once upon a time, Maryann Siembieda took up that role, but she's gone now. And that's basically been Bellaire's example from Siembieda, just having to do "straight talk" to the fans, who have been unrelenting and angry for their own understandable reasons. And to be fair, Bellaire's name is on the RPG Tactics box. So that means he's a target, even though he's a freelancer and doesn't have direct control over what Siembieda does or doesn't do regarding it.

Bellaire recently stepped beyond a line of professionalism more than once, but he works in a company where that's the absolute norm. That doesn't excuse it, but he's also been put in the middle of a million-dollar fiasco without the support he needed. Siembieda lashing out at critics given the situation is understandable as well. I don't think it's right to rake him over the coals on it at this point. Is his reply unprofessional? Yes, but that should be no surprise. But I don't think he'd manufacture something like this. I don't think he's capable of it. Whether or not he chooses to reflect on whatever responsibility he and Palladium Books may have in this is a personal matter. We don't know everything and frankly, Siembieda likely told us more than we needed to know in the first place. It's deeply tragic and hopefully Bellaire comes out of this okay, but I think right now is probably not the best time to take Siembieda to task over it.

I realize it may sound like I'm trying to eat my cake and still have it afterwards, but I'm just trying to put forth an understanding of the situation as best I can.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Yeah, I think that's a fair assessment. I've lost people to suicide in the past, it really sucks in every way imaginable, so I do hope the guy makes a full recovery.

I've gone over the comments on the RRT kickstarter page that started all this, and I'd agree with you that Carmen Bellaire really wasn't equipped to handle this sort of thing. It would have been a monumental task for anybody, given the frustration and anger there. That said, there were only a couple users whose responses were what I'd describe as over the line, and those only just so - some others expressed sympathy for the guy and the situation he's found himself in.

It's unfortunately for a lot of reasons, but I don't see how he could have received any other reaction.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Bear in mind this kind of thing wasn't limited to the kickstarter thread - there were people grilling Bellaire on the Palladium forums simultaneously to all of this. It's a little surprising to see, because usually they'd put the kibosh on that kind of thing in the past, but I guess the anger over the kickstarter has gotten beyond their ability or willingness to contain.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Failed Kickstarter drama deserves it own A&E show as they appear to be filled with social rejects, deadlines, poor business decisions, and of course demanding customers. The AvP thread on Reddit is full of people who got screwed by a company that delivered to retail and now want the backers to pay a higher price. For me the issue is that many of those games never make it to retail.

Scythe has me changing my mind on Kickstarter. have backed a dozen or so projects, but skipped scythe thinking I would pick it up later.

Now I cannot force myself to buy the lesser quality game or pay the $200 price it would take to buy the game with all nice components.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Bellaire recently stepped beyond a line of professionalism more than once, but he works in a company where that's the absolute norm. That doesn't excuse it, but he's also been put in the middle of a million-dollar fiasco without the support he needed. Siembieda lashing out at critics given the situation is understandable as well. I don't think it's right to rake him over the coals on it at this point. Is his reply unprofessional? Yes, but that should be no surprise. But I don't think he'd manufacture something like this. I don't think he's capable of it. Whether or not he chooses to reflect on whatever responsibility he and Palladium Books may have in this is a personal matter. We don't know everything and frankly, Siembieda likely told us more than we needed to know in the first place. It's deeply tragic and hopefully Bellaire comes out of this okay, but I think right now is probably not the best time to take Siembieda to task over it.

This is where you and I part ways. Sembieda had every opportunity to tell his passionate employee-slash-friend "hey, maybe don't go jumping on the bonfire that I'm responsible for creating through my own negligence" but instead he let him do so and effectively threw him in front of a bus full of angry, irate customers to take hits intended for Sembieda himself, and then when the end result of all of this is apparently a suicide attempt what does Kevin do? Go "hot drat, this is the perfect thing to go throw in my angry backers' faces!" Not take a moment to reflect on the enormity of what his terrible business practices have potentially cost him, not shutter everything to deal with a personal tragedy, not apologize...he uses this person's near-death as something to, once again, deflect the blame away from him and onto something else.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

We'll have plenty of time to judge and process what happened here as time goes on, but we don't know how this ends yet. I think it's best to take a step back focusing on Siembieda's failures, past or present, and just realize he's still a human being who's coping with the possible loss of a friend. There will always be opportunities to take Siembieda to task. We know this. But I think that, this time, it's best to let it go.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

We'll have plenty of time to judge and process what happened here as time goes on, but we don't know how this ends yet. I think it's best to take a step back focusing on Siembieda's failures, past or present, and just realize he's still a human being who's coping with the possible loss of a friend. There will always be opportunities to take Siembieda to task. We know this. But I think that, this time, it's best to let it go.

Ah yes, "we shouldn't take incredibly lovely people to task because reasons," the ballad of 2017.

Not that I expect it would make a difference anyway since Sembieda's long since proven that he doesn't actually have anything resembling a sense of shame. I'm sure the various slings and arrows of the people he's not only bilked but now blamed for driving his colleague to suicide will be as ignored as the rest of their complaints since, as you yourself pointed out, Sembieda's response to criticism is to simply disengage and shift blame.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Ah yes, "we shouldn't take incredibly lovely people to task because reasons," the ballad of 2017.

You should know I'm not saying that. I just think it's important to pick your battles, and I don't think this one has any winners.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ropes4u posted:

Failed Kickstarter drama deserves it own A&E show as they appear to be filled with social rejects, deadlines, poor business decisions, and of course demanding customers. The AvP thread on Reddit is full of people who got screwed by a company that delivered to retail and now want the backers to pay a higher price. For me the issue is that many of those games never make it to retail.

Scythe has me changing my mind on Kickstarter. have backed a dozen or so projects, but skipped scythe thinking I would pick it up later.

Now I cannot force myself to buy the lesser quality game or pay the $200 price it would take to buy the game with all nice components.

A crowdfunding show on CNBC or Discovery or History seems super appropriate. Mix in some success stories with stories of failure or drama with either result and it'd be golden. Hell, I'm sure all of the tech and product Kickstarters would be enough to generate their own show as they're full of their own fresh hell.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I think that when someone's first reaction to a friend's attempted suicide is "how can I use this to bludgeon my haters with?" that battle-lines have more or less already been drawn. I've got no personal stake in it since I wouldn't back a Palladium project even if someone paid me to and I have no plans to start haranguing Sembieda, nor do I personally know Carmen, but neither do I especially feel the need to restrain myself from saying that someone willing to use the attempted suicide of a friend in this manner is the scum of the earth. That backer update wasn't something hastily whipped off in grief and confusion, that's the work of someone who sat down and thought to themselves "how can I milk this tragedy so that it benefits me, Kevin Sembieda?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I don't know or care about any of this drama but I don't really read that guy's post (which is the only thing I'm aware of) as some sort of opportunistic hardline attack on the haters.

I also don't think that telling people to shut the gently caress up because my friend almost killed themselves after they called him names on the internet is something that is necessarily a cold-blooded business maneuver so much as someone posting emotionally, which while not wise or necessarily endorsable, is not immediately and irrefutably Evil Business.

Maybe if I had some skin in the game here I'd see that he's really a boardgame supervillain.