Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/ras0530/status/832866282328297472

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i'm not surprised, but nonetheless impressed. thanks for the gay birb imagery, kyoani

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodyle posted:

The Saikawa and Lucoa stuff is the worst and only Fafnir saved this episode

I wish they had left out the line where Lucoa offered the kid her body. Without that line, the joke is that Lucoa is just super oblivious about the effect she's having. With that line, the whole thing is kinda uncomfortable

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
honestly if that joke was repeated verbatim in Gintama or something I probably wouldn't bat an eyelash but someone itt has told me Cool loves shotacon so it's hard to dismiss it as just a weird joke

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
knowing ancient gods, I'm willing to bet her entire involvement with the aztecs was weird sex stuff.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
yeah give us more of the epic historical weird sex stuff

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

also more I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Space Flower posted:

knowing ancient gods, I'm willing to bet her entire involvement with the aztecs was weird sex stuff.

yeah i guess this whole "is an ancient god but also a total idiot" angle is why it doesn't bug me, especially since the reality of the line is not even entertained for a second. mostly i was surprised at shouta refusing the magic power. good on him!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

DisDisDis posted:

honestly if that joke was repeated verbatim in Gintama or something I probably wouldn't bat an eyelash but someone itt has told me Cool loves shotacon so it's hard to dismiss it as just a weird joke

yeah it's played innocuously enough that you could brush it off but their designs are basically a big nod.

but i mean, I think the main sell behind Cool K as a mangaka is he's an active doujinka who shapes his perverted ideas into heartwarming stories

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I find the Boy That Elementary School Girl Really Wants to gently caress stuff way worse, and its being around makes the shota poo poo even harder to brush off

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rodyle posted:

I find the Boy That Elementary School Girl Really Wants to gently caress stuff way worse, and its being around makes the shota poo poo even harder to brush off

Is that referencing something else the author wrote? That context makes it worse...

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
woah let's not go too far here

Saikawa is a girl

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Is that referencing something else the author wrote? That context makes it worse...

It's the super weird poo poo with Saikawa and Nana, which by dint of being around makes it even harder to dismiss the stuff with Lucoa and the new kid uggggh

fortunately the show had mercy and ended the episode with Fafnir

Fafnir rules

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 19, 2017

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

DisDisDis posted:

It likely is fanservice for the author's perversions, as well as part of the larger cultural attitude that treats underage boys being taken advantage of by older women less seriously than the other way around. Just look at any story about a female teacher sleeping with a male student, every rear end in a top hat has the same joke about how he's the luckiest kid in school or whatever. But death of the author lets me get past it, and at least the core of the joke is consistent with the whole dragons not understanding human morays schtick. I do wish Kobayashi objected more in that scene at least, she was uncharacteristically quiet and it would have been a way to undercut the tension.

It's not going to stop me from enjoying the rest of the show, but I totally get why it would for some people, and I wish it was handled differently at least.

Agreeing that Fafnir's otaku bromance was a nice chaser and ended the ep on a high note.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i get just not liking the general atmosphere around kanna and saikawa, but imo it's weird that people just flat out say they want to gently caress. they're children, and don't know what a gently caress is.

children copy what they see which is why saikawa says she wants a relationship like kobayashi and tooru have, and i think the entire point is missed if you try to finish their thoughts for them. kids have nebulous impressions of intimacy. they don't know what they're talking about, which is why kanna and saikawa's thoughts are both left trailing. it's supposed to be precocious.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Hasn't a jp viewer already translated what Kanna mouthed to basically 'wash each other by licking', i.e. The thing that Kanna and Tohru did in dragon form?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Space Flower posted:

i get just not liking the general atmosphere around kanna and saikawa, but imo it's weird that people just flat out say they want to gently caress. they're children, and don't know what a gently caress is.

children copy what they see which is why saikawa says she wants a relationship like kobayashi and tooru have, and i think the entire point is missed if you try to finish their thoughts for them. kids have nebulous impressions of intimacy. they don't know what they're talking about, which is why kanna and saikawa's thoughts are both left trailing. it's supposed to be precocious.

I'm not losing my mind over it but if the author is known to be weird about kids naturally people are gonna read that into the scene rather than assuming the best about it

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

DisDisDis posted:

I'm not losing my mind over it but if the author is known to be weird about kids naturally people are gonna read that into the scene rather than assuming the best about it

I think the show is much more enjoyable if you just ignore the manga, and certainly ignore the background of the mangaka.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm gonna go with "kyoani is making a transformative work" here, since i haven't read the manga

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
yeah apologies for continuing to bitch about it itt

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Fangz posted:

Hasn't a jp viewer already translated what Kanna mouthed to basically 'wash each other by licking', i.e. The thing that Kanna and Tohru did in dragon form?

makes sense, and reiterates my point if so. i'm kind of surprised if reading her mouth is actually that easy though, I just brushed it off when I saw people trying to do that.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Fangz posted:

I think the show is much more enjoyable if you just ignore the manga, and certainly ignore the background of the mangaka.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why would anyone take what Kanna did as being anything more than trying to experience a kiss? :psyduck:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Poil posted:

Why would anyone take what Kanna did as being anything more than trying to experience a kiss? :psyduck:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Poil posted:

Because this

was that scene from the manga which kind of taints people's perception of that?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Glagha posted:

Because this

It's the exact same line in the anime and the manga, and I'm pretty sure he was out of pages for that chapter.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Glagha posted:

Because this

but the anime isn't the manga

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

but the anime isn't the manga

Also, FWIW, I've heard a few folks say that translation's bad and the original line was the tongue-cleaning thing Kanna mouthed in the anime.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Also Usagi Drop is an anime only production

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, FWIW, I've heard a few folks say that translation's bad and the original line was the tongue-cleaning thing Kanna mouthed in the anime.

The line is ". . . shittakatta" which literally means "I wanted to do . . .", so it's pretty vague. The manga took some liberties to interpret it in the translation, and it seems like they were off.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, I clarified the lines are the same, in this thread!! Ahhhhh

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Rodyle posted:

Also Usagi Drop is an anime only production

What are you talking about. There's a manga series. Eight volumes of them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

FortMan posted:

What are you talking about. There's a manga series. Eight volumes of them.

I think you mean 4.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Chiukii/status/833127664001105920

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Lmao.

I'll buy an av cert for the first person to gif Kanna rainstomping on the twin towers

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Using the older lyrics definitely adds a little something to it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/HugBdrill/status/833341572292898818

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

https://twitter.com/HugBdrill/status/832529567013146624

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/HugBdrill/status/833567233024548865

lol

edit; beaten again