Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Hulu on the Xbox One is such a piece of poo poo I use a Chromecast plugged into the HDMI passthrough instead. I can watch one episode on it and basically have to reboot the app for it to be able to talk to Hulu's servers again.

Hulu apps suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

Hulu on the Xbox One is such a piece of poo poo I use a Chromecast plugged into the HDMI passthrough instead. I can watch one episode on it and basically have to reboot the app for it to be able to talk to Hulu's servers again.

Hulu apps suck.

To be fair, all the Xbox One streaming apps suck IMO.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Hulu and ESPN are the only ones I've had problems with. Plex, PBS Kids, FX, Vudu, Amazon, and Netflix all seem more or less in line with their other incarnations.

Bobalbmi
Sep 25, 2000

Today is the day

stevewm posted:

To be fair, all the Xbox One streaming apps suck IMO.

The SlingTV app in particular is basically unusable. I subscribed and basically thought the service was broken (constant buffering, etc.) until I tried it on a Roku.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
For you DirecTV Now subscribers, free Cinemax and Starz this weekend. Maybe HBO too, but I already subscribe to it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah HBO and HBO Family seem to be showing up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'd been bumming off my friends cable login for years and he cut the cord so now I gotta do the same. I've looked at Playstation Vue, Sling, and DirecTV Now. Are there any others I'm missing?

From the offerings, it's down to Playstation Vue and DirectTV. Are there any huge caveats to them? I know that PS Vue doesn't have Viacom, but their $30 plan pretty much has what I want. On the other hand, both services have a very comparable line-up at the $35 level, and DirecTV has the Viacom stuff.

Has anyone who used both have any comments?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'd been bumming off my friends cable login for years and he cut the cord so now I gotta do the same. I've looked at Playstation Vue, Sling, and DirecTV Now. Are there any others I'm missing?

From the offerings, it's down to Playstation Vue and DirectTV. Are there any huge caveats to them? I know that PS Vue doesn't have Viacom, but their $30 plan pretty much has what I want. On the other hand, both services have a very comparable line-up at the $35 level, and DirecTV has the Viacom stuff.

Has anyone who used both have any comments?

Yes, there is a massive caveat between Playstation Vue and anything else on the market, Playstation Vue has a cloud DVR and way more app logins than anyone else.It's not without it's flaws like kind of a lovely and laggy UI and lacking Viacom but a DVR and app logins are a pretty huge difference to a lot of users,

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Wow thanks for that info. I just assumed that DirectTV Now would have app logins for everything. The DVR stuff isn't a big deal for me but if PS Vue has it, I'll definitely use it.

edit:

So here's a question regarding their DVR service. Right now I have CBS All-Access (you can laugh if you want, it's ok). Looking at the PS Vue line-up, I'll get a local CBS station. Can I DVR stuff on that channel, effectively eliminating the need for CBS All-Access? Like, is there some sort of weird thing preventing that? I know how weird and backwards CBS is with their streaming poo poo.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 19, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

Wow thanks for that info. I just assumed that DirectTV Now would have app logins for everything. The DVR stuff isn't a big deal for me but if PS Vue has it, I'll definitely use it.

edit:

So here's a question regarding their DVR service. Right now I have CBS All-Access (you can laugh if you want, it's ok). Looking at the PS Vue line-up, I'll get a local CBS station. Can I DVR stuff on that channel, effectively eliminating the need for CBS All-Access? Like, is there some sort of weird thing preventing that? I know how weird and backwards CBS is with their streaming poo poo.

I'm pretty sure they have a 7 day trial period. Set it up and give it a spin.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DirecTV does not have app logins for Viacom stuff yet. Supposedly in the works but we'll see.

DirecTV has a "rewind" feature but it's very limited right now.

If you can't get any promo rate with DTV I think Vue is the best bet right now. They all offer trials though so try them and see.

Sling and DTV both don't have CBS and might not have locals at all depending on your location.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 20, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Does anyone know what's going on with the Roku ESPN app? We've got two Rokus in the house, a fancy new 4 and a years old 2. Everything on the 4 works fine EXCEPT for the espn app. It falls back to buffering all the drat time. It's not a bandwith issue on our end as we can stream stupid high resolution stuff from other sources just fine (example: the new not-Top Gear show on Amazon). If we switch over to the 2, however, ESPN works fine. As far as we can figure it has to be an issue with the app and the old version just works better. Or something.

Any ideas? It's not a crippling problem as we've just solved it by having two Rokus plugged into the TV and switching over to HDMI 2 when we want to watch ESPN but it's mildly irritating.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

If you can't get any promo rate with DTV I think Vue is the best bet right now.

This is truth.

DTVN has greatly improved since launch, and I still have the $35/mo for the GoBig package. But I would never pay full freight for DTVN.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Does anyone know what's going on with the Roku ESPN app? We've got two Rokus in the house, a fancy new 4 and a years old 2. Everything on the 4 works fine EXCEPT for the espn app. It falls back to buffering all the drat time. It's not a bandwith issue on our end as we can stream stupid high resolution stuff from other sources just fine (example: the new not-Top Gear show on Amazon). If we switch over to the 2, however, ESPN works fine. As far as we can figure it has to be an issue with the app and the old version just works better. Or something.

Any ideas? It's not a crippling problem as we've just solved it by having two Rokus plugged into the TV and switching over to HDMI 2 when we want to watch ESPN but it's mildly irritating.

I asked a similar question, as espn works fine on Android phone or tablet, but buffers constantly on roku 3.

It would appear that the watchespn roku app has an unresolved issue.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I have the Roku 2016 stick but ESPN never goes weird on me except for really big games but I think that's due to a heavy server load. I've never played with it on my 1st gen AFT because that dang thing is a dinosaur and hates live streaming.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I can't find it:

Is it possible to carry both your cable modem signal and OTA TV antenna over the same coax? With some kinda filter or something?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Gozinbulx posted:

Is it possible to carry both your cable modem signal and OTA TV antenna over the same coax? With some kinda filter or something?

Depends on your cable company and if they put filters on the lines. In my case, I only have cable internet service and basic cable (with HD locals) come in when I plug it into a TV. Complete YMMV situation.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Depends on your cable company and if they put filters on the lines. In my case, I only have cable internet service and basic cable (with HD locals) come in when I plug it into a TV. Complete YMMV situation.

Well I know that my cable (Comcast) doesn't have any free unencrypted basic cable (I forgot now what that's called) and that's not what I seek. Rather, I'd like to go outside to the cable tap and combine both the cable signal (for cable internet) and an antenna and thus have OTA TV in every coax outlet in the house plus my cable internet still working. If they share any bandwidth, I'd be screwed.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Gozinbulx posted:

Well I know that my cable (Comcast) doesn't have any free unencrypted basic cable (I forgot now what that's called) and that's not what I seek. Rather, I'd like to go outside to the cable tap and combine both the cable signal (for cable internet) and an antenna and thus have OTA TV in every coax outlet in the house plus my cable internet still working. If they share any bandwidth, I'd be screwed.

I don't think that would work, but I'd open that up to the engineers in the thread. You don't want your cable modem line on any amplifier or distribution equipment as a matter of practice. If you did plug in your OTA antenna to the distribution node it would broadcast everywhere though.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

TraderStav posted:

I don't think that would work, but I'd open that up to the engineers in the thread. You don't want your cable modem line on any amplifier or distribution equipment as a matter of practice. If you did plug in your OTA antenna to the distribution node it would broadcast everywhere though.

Yeah I figured as much but thought I would check. Maybe I'll run my own cable straight from outside and leave the in wall coax to just OTA

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Gozinbulx posted:

Hypothetically? DOCSIS and OTA frequencies overlap. It's possible you could make it work depending on what your local OTA channels were broadcasting on and what frequencies your cable company assigned to DOCSIS but absolutely nothing like one of the old Sat/OTA splitters of days gone by as far as a reliable, universal and easy to use.

I mean this is out of my wheelhouse but I knew enough to ask Google the right question and North American broadcast uses 54Mhz - 890Mhz and DOCSIS uses 54Mhz-1000Mhz for the downlink so you would have to be pretty drat specific on what frequencies you were splitting even if there was no overlap in your use case which there might be.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

quote:

It's been rumored for a long time now, but YouTube has just officially announced its entry into streaming live TV. YouTube TV will let you access live and recorded content from major networks both broadcast and on cable. All of this will be coupled alongside YouTube's existing content, and it'll work on any screen that YouTube is available on. It'll be available later this spring for $35 a month with no contract; that'll let up to six users access content whenever they want.

Networks taking part include CBS, Fox, NBC and CBS along with USA and FX. Sports networks include ESPN, Fox Sports and NBCSN -- there's a total of 10 sports networks available. You can also add on Showtime for an additional fee. Local networks for your area will also be included, so you can get the local news and programming broadcasts from the channels you'd see over the air. All in all, the total of 40 networks is similar to what you get from something like Sony's PlayStation Vue.

YouTube TV also includes unlimited cloud DVR storage, so you can add any series or sports team to your favorites and it'll save all of them for you. Naturally, YouTube will also use the massive amount of data is has on your interests to help serve you recommendations thanks to its machine learning network.

Live TV, unlimited cloud DVR, works on any device that supports the YouTube app which means it's built into a ton of TVs and devices already? :getin:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

So Cable With Buffering on YouTube. Alright. The YouTube apps I've used don't have what I'd consider a great interface for this, but we'll see. I thought Hulu's Cable With Buffering would have been out by now.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Three Olives posted:

Live TV, unlimited cloud DVR, works on any device that supports the YouTube app which means it's built into a ton of TVs and devices already? :getin:

The list of channels is really small right now though. Although they're doing all major OTA networks (cbs, abc, fox, nbc and cw) but they're lacking in the cable channels.

Also weird that it has FXX but not FX.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

So Cable With Buffering on YouTube. Alright. The YouTube apps I've used don't have what I'd consider a great interface for this, but we'll see. I thought Hulu's Cable With Buffering would have been out by now.

Buffering... You poor saps and your lovely internet. :D I've had 1Gbit fiber for just over a year now. The concept of buffering/loading simply does not exist to me anymore. Sling changes "channels" faster than the POS cable box I used to have did.

Agreed on the YouTube interface bit however.. They are going to need a massive interface overhaul for something like this to be worthwhile. I simply could not imagine using the existing YouTube TV/streamer box interfaces for channel surfing. They are clunky enough if you have more than a handful of subscriptions. I couldn't imagine 40+ channels of livestreams.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Yea...the "buffering" was more in reference to how Sling itself was when it started and how it'll be again when Ajit Pai gets his way.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Here's the blog announcement since none of you bothered to link what you were talking about : https://youtube.googleblog.com/2017/02/finally-live-tv-made-for-you.html

And the site: https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

And the lineup:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I still maintain that these services have jack-all to do with "cutting cable." It's still a package of unrelated channels that forces the ESPN audience to subsidize Disney XD and vice versa. Alright, so I can use my Roku instead of a cable box. Great?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Verizon managed to figure it out somehow.

There exists a FiOS channel package right now with the Disney channels and no ESPN (or other sports channels for that matter.)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If this included google music family i might do it.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Wonder why no HGTV/Diy. My wife needs those.

mtr
May 15, 2008

MrBigglesworth posted:

Wonder why no HGTV/Diy. My wife needs those.

Missing Food Network and NFL Network too. Makes it a no go for me when compared to the $35 PS Vue.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yup, that sure is another one of those services.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

I still maintain that these services have jack-all to do with "cutting cable." It's still a package of unrelated channels that forces the ESPN audience to subsidize Disney XD and vice versa. Alright, so I can use my Roku instead of a cable box. Great?

OK.

I look at it more as an inexpensive way to get channels I like (with some I give zero shits about) using a delivery method in which I'm not tied up in a contract to get the "good" prices, don't need to pay an monthly fee for every TV I may want to watch it on. Pay a monthly fee for the hardware (box or cable card), pay a fee for DVR, pay a fee for...

Sure it looks like traditional cable or satellite, but the key difference is I now have a surfeit (well, maybe not quite that yet) of providers that I can move to on a month to month basis if I'm not satisfied with my current provider. The price I'm paying is the price I'm paying. No extra "broadcast fees" or device "rentals". And most importantly, I'm paying about a 3rd (right now) of what I was paying my cable company for month-to-month and the channel lineup is pretty much the only channels I watched regularly anyway.

Does it suck that I pay to subsidize Disney XD when I have no interest in it? Sure, but I see it as baby-steps toward à la carte channel lineups. As soon as I can subscribe to producers directly and not have it be an exorbitant cost, I'll drop packaged streaming TV services like a hot rock.

I currently have DirectTVNow, who have pulled out a last minute miracle in resolving most of the issues I had, and pay $35/mo +$5 for HBO. I'm maybe interested in 6 or 7 channels, but it's the only legal way I know to get them. And it's still cheaper for me than buying season passes for shows or getting a traditional cable or satellite service.

I still use OTA a lot, and I also have a Netflix and Hulu subscription that I use a bit as well. DTVN is just another way I can get TV I want. And I still consider it cutting the cable.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 1, 2017

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
With the six accounts, if you can split them amongst friends, that's definitely a good deal for $6 a month.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Silly Burrito posted:

With the six accounts, if you can split them amongst friends, that's definitely a good deal for $6 a month.

Only two simultaneous streams though

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

MycroftXXX posted:

Man a buddy of mine and I'll sure as hell split this. $17/month and I can get Jeopardy DVR'd again? Pretty cool, man.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
they say you get access to YouTube Red shows, I wonder if you get no ads too. I fuckin' hate ads.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Croatoan posted:

they say you get access to YouTube Red shows, I wonder if you get no ads too. I fuckin' hate ads.

YouTube Red is ad free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MycroftXXX posted:

See, I see this and wonder.

quote:

Six accounts, one price. Every YouTube TV membership comes with six accounts, each with its own unique recommendations and personal DVR with no storage limits. You can watch up to three concurrent streams at a time.

Does each of the six accounts get three streams or is it three streams across all the accounts? If you only can have three streams, why six accounts unless the accounts are like Netflix accounts that just fine tune your recommendations and nothing more.