Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO posted:

I don't think deflect works on unblockables. So don't do that against a Kensei or the fatty.

Parry sure as hell does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Double Bill posted:

Ok that makes sense, I started playing this yesterday and did some multiplayer until I realized I should probably learn a character first, and today has only been 1v1 with bots. It would be nice to get XP from that, but whatever.

Its super lovely and ruins my desire to play the game when that happens, but odds are Ubisoft are already hard at work on a patch that resolves most of the issues and they're just busy testing the patch right now to make sure it doesn't break anything else before they roll it out soon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zebrasectomy posted:

Question for those who play assassins: how do approach defense?
I noticed I'm barely ever trying to block or parry and am relying on dodges the majority of the time. The closest I come to blocking is using whatever the guard move where you dodge I. The direction of the attack is called, since I'm mostly running pk and like getting that extra bleed in after. Also because I'm new at this and I find I can only focus on blocking or attacking but not both at the same time.

If you're an assassin, the rule is "the best defense is a good offense"

The idea as any of the assassins is that your defense sucks and if you're on defense you're gonna lose, so put them on defense instead. You should be in their face not letting off the pressure. Make them play your game.

Obviously you do have to block attacks here and there, but that's what parries are for. But having react blocking and assassin sized health means you should be trying to get super aggressive on them so they have to play defensive, not you.

Deflect is a super fancy way to catch people off guard but if you go fishing for it a lot you're just gonna get yourself womped good. Its something to throw in here and there to throw your opponent off, not necessarily what orochi should be doing every single time they get attacked.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

If you're an assassin, the rule is "the best defense is a good offense"

The idea as any of the assassins is that your defense sucks and if you're on defense you're gonna lose, so put them on defense instead. You should be in their face not letting off the pressure. Make them play your game.

Obviously you do have to block attacks here and there, but that's what parries are for. But having react blocking and assassin sized health means you should be trying to get super aggressive on them so they have to play defensive, not you.

Deflect is a super fancy way to catch people off guard but if you go fishing for it a lot you're just gonna get yourself womped good. Its something to throw in here and there to throw your opponent off, not necessarily what orochi should be doing every single time they get attacked.

Ah, okay. I guess I thought it would be easier for me to just dodge in the direction of the attack than block since im usually prepared to hit dodge to side step or get away anyways. Is the timing different for reflect then, is that why it's riskier?
Also I'm super bad at parries right now. I spend more time focusing on my opponents animations than the little icons and I think I'm trying to time my moves with what makes sense in my brain instead of what the game is prompting me to do.

What do you find works as far as deciding what to pay attention to goes?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Floppychop posted:

Seems like most of the time when I parry an Orochi they end up outside my light attack range. Then if I try a heavy they recover quick enough to deflect it.

Overhead heavies are slow as gently caress, it's better to hit with a side heavy after a parry, as they land quicker.

I don't think deflect works on unblockables. So don't do that against a Kensei or the fatty.

Orochi here, I wish you could have all witnessed the splendour of me attempting to deflect an unblockable. I ate that axe so loving hard. You can't deflect unblockables, unfortunately. Parry them instead. Or dodge backwards out of range.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Zebrasectomy posted:

Question for those who play assassins: how do approach defense?
I noticed I'm barely ever trying to block or parry and am relying on dodges the majority of the time. The closest I come to blocking is using whatever the guard move where you dodge I. The direction of the attack is called, since I'm mostly running pk and like getting that extra bleed in after. Also because I'm new at this and I find I can only focus on blocking or attacking but not both at the same time.

Luckily for you, parrying is using attacks as defense. Id go into a bot match and practice parries. Pk in particular can capitalize on parries by guard breaking then stabbing after a parry.

Dirk Pitt posted:

I just got a message from a guy after I jumped him in 2vv2 while he was fighting my team mate. What is with the e-honor?

I got told i had aspergers when i said the game is called for honor, not fight with honor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zebrasectomy posted:

Ah, okay. I guess I thought it would be easier for me to just dodge in the direction of the attack than block since im usually prepared to hit dodge to side step or get away anyways. Is the timing different for reflect then, is that why it's riskier?
Also I'm super bad at parries right now. I spend more time focusing on my opponents animations than the little icons and I think I'm trying to time my moves with what makes sense in my brain instead of what the game is prompting me to do.

The timing for deflect and parry are the same, but parry *always* works.

Not sure about this, but it sounds right to me. (I only rarely play orochi)

Block the timing is looser since you can pre-emptively block. Less so for assassins because of reflex blocking, but still. Against slower attacks, if you're worried about the timing blocking or dodging is safer than trying to parry or deflect.

Orochi has two great moves for baiting and punishing attacks; If you pull back on left stick and push up on right stick and press.. I think heavy attack? You do a hop-back-slash-forward move that if timed right will avoid an incoming attack and womp your opponent right after they finish swinging. The other one is to dodge back or slightly out-range your opponent and then use the dashing side swipe attack where you hold heavy attack (forget the name) to catch people off guard.

Its about mixing up people's timing, as well as throwing so many fast attacks at them from different directions that they're busy guessing what you're going to do next and feel pressured.

TLDR: Get good at parries. Find a buddy or at worst an AI bot and practice them until you can do them reliably. You will not break past a certain middle level of skill until you master parries, they are fundamental.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dirk Pitt posted:

I just got a message from a guy after I jumped him in 2vv2 while he was fighting my team mate. What is with the e-honor?

Its more fun to do a series of duels than just ganking people and them hoping they can abuse revenge enough to beat both of you.

2v1 kills don't feel satisfying, and killing people by abusing revenge is kinda silly (although sometimes feels good)
Meanwhile a good proper 1v1 in this game feels like cocaine.

Really though its Ubisoft's fault for not implementing what absolutely should have been a release game mode.

Like at least 20 goons have posted in this thread saying "why is there no duel lobby mode?" its painfully obvious that they should have done it. I don't know what the gently caress was going on over at Ubisoft. Rushing to push the thing out the door, I guess. Hopefully we can get a duel lobby mode in the near future, and then people will shut up about honorabu fighting and just play that if they want duels.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Nasgate posted:

I got told i had aspergers when i said the game is called for honor, not fight with honor.

You fight for honor, not with honor.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If the other side is dead then nobody can say you didn't fight with honor.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Internet Kraken posted:

If the other side is dead then nobody can say you didn't fight with honor.

Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honour matters.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Is anyone else having scavenger crates from breakables in the single player disappearing? I've lost four of the loving things now.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honour matters.

One of the best quotes from Mass Effect.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

panda clue posted:

One of the best quotes from Mass Effect.

And topical since the female warden is voiced by Cmdr Shepard.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Everytime Warden does that bash move, all I hear is "Miserlou!" and think of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWnFqpAtRT0

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Reclaimer posted:

And topical since the female warden is voiced by Cmdr Shepard.

:aaaaa: I had no idea, this owns.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Zaphod42 posted:

Its more fun to do a series of duels than just ganking people and them hoping they can abuse revenge enough to beat both of you.

2v1 kills don't feel satisfying, and killing people by abusing revenge is kinda silly (although sometimes feels good)

Really though its Ubisoft's fault for not implementing what absolutely should have been a release game mode.

Like at least 20 goons have posted in this thread saying "why is there no duel lobby mode?" its painfully obvious that they should have done it. I don't know what the gently caress was going on over at Ubisoft. Rushing to push the thing out the door, I guess. Hopefully we can get a duel lobby mode in the near future, and then people will shut up about honorabu fighting and just play that if they want duels.

I completely agree. I would prefer a constant duel, but that is impossible right now, so if I get a quick kill, I am going to go gank the other guy because that is the game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

every game mode except 1v1 is potentially straight up garbage. Dominion boils down to "hunt in a pack of 3 or 4 constantly to win every time" and Elimination is basically "run away constantly to gang up on others / also run for a fucken hour if you're about to die" and both of these things are fatiguing as gently caress. If I didn't pay like 5 bux for this game I'd be pissed as poo poo. I can't imagine paying 60 dollars for this in a zillion years. I too wish there was a lobby and the wait between matches for 1v1 wasn't so goddamn long and cumbersome but oh well, maybe like most Ubisoft games the sequel will get it right.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Zebrasectomy posted:

Parry has a windup that lets you do it a second pre-emptively, whereas deflect has to be on the money with timing. Deflect is also more dangerous once people start feinting because a dodge is an easy uncounterable guard break. But since it's so last minute to deflect, it can work out in your favour if you're paying attention, you dont have to commit like with a parry that turns into heavy.

Notes so far.
I think there is 3 tiers to advance play
1. People who can guard break counter.
2. People who parry.
3. People who feint.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I beat the campaign on Realistic difficulty this morning. If anyone is having trouble with a boss or something let me know; I cheesed just about every fight (just wanted the unlockables).

My main tip is use the Heal active ability (the one you start with) and the active ability that makes all your attacks unblockable for 30 seconds. I beat pretty much 3/4s of the game doing that or throwing bosses off ledges or into spikes. I think there's maybe half a dozen boss fights where you actually have to deplete their health bar to 0.

Towards the end of the 3rd chapter the tougher bosses start parrying most of your light attacks and countering all your guard breaks, so the unblockable skill becomes a lot less useful. At that point I switched to the active skill that gives all your attacks bleed for 45 seconds. It helps your damage a ton. Just channel your inner Orachi and fight until you're at half health, then run until your Heal skill is off cooldown.

I beat the last boss by saving the poison mines you get earlier in the mission and using them in the third stage. Made it a lot easier.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Loopoo posted:

Everytime Warden does that bash move, all I hear is "Miserlou!" and think of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWnFqpAtRT0

This starts playing everytime you get caught in the vortex.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

panda clue posted:

You fight for honor, not with honor.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

We had a cheeky opponent Lawmaker who kept wrecking our 1v1s, but I found it funny cause he did them in silly ways. My Warden teammate got annoyed, so last round, he cheesed it completely by doing the nonstop shoulder bash swirl of death.

Post-game, I said "Welcome to the Warden vortex train" and he replied "Next stop: never". 10/10 reply

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I was always a fan of Shogun 2's "these weapons from the naban have no honor, but with victory comes honor."

I've found out Uplay will give me 20% off for points so I decided to seriously look at this game. But I'm hearing mixed things. Mostly how the combat shares the flaws of ds3 (passive/reactive play is best, so people just stare at each other.) I liked the chaotic 3v3 in ds3 area so maybe I'd like dominion?

I'm still not sure even with 20% off its a big purchase for me.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I was always a fan of Shogun 2's "these weapons from the naban have no honor, but with victory comes honor."

I've found out Uplay will give me 20% off for points so I decided to seriously look at this game. But I'm hearing mixed things. Mostly how the combat shares the flaws of ds3 (passive/reactive play is best, so people just stare at each other.) I liked the chaotic 3v3 in ds3 area so maybe I'd like dominion?

I'm still not sure even with 20% off its a big purchase for me.

What are you thinking about getting with all that silver?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just had an Orichi tell me that my class (Nobushi) is OP. It's the little things...

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

There is an incredible amount of concern for the "high level play" of a game that hasn't been out for 7 full days.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

panda clue posted:

:aaaaa: I had no idea, this owns.

It's super obvious when you play the campaign, I'm pretty sure they just told Hale to do her Shepard voice.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

every game mode except 1v1 is potentially straight up garbage. Dominion boils down to "hunt in a pack of 3 or 4 constantly to win every time" and Elimination is basically "run away constantly to gang up on others / also run for a fucken hour if you're about to die" and both of these things are fatiguing as gently caress. If I didn't pay like 5 bux for this game I'd be pissed as poo poo. I can't imagine paying 60 dollars for this in a zillion years. I too wish there was a lobby and the wait between matches for 1v1 wasn't so goddamn long and cumbersome but oh well, maybe like most Ubisoft games the sequel will get it right.

They're not gonna do a sequel dude. What do you mean like most ubisoft games? That was like, 10 years ago. Ubisoft's new MO is to put out games and then keep updating them, which is what's gonna happen to For Honor.

satanic splash-back posted:

There is an incredible amount of concern for the "high level play" of a game that hasn't been out for 7 full days.

This.

The meta for high level play hasn't even been established yet, and even if it was it wouldn't directly effect anybody in this thread.

Its just like everybody obsessing over one class in WoW having 2% more theoretical DPS than another class if played like a robot, which completely doesn't matter because nobody can play it to that level.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

satanic splash-back posted:

People I know super into fighting games are already seeing frays in the mechanics but it's probably problems for only 5% of the population

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Kainser posted:

It's super obvious when you play the campaign, I'm pretty sure they just told Hale to do her Shepard voice.

"Cross"
"Warden"

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Did up a lawbringer walkthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4gydT4ov_Y

As always, if you already put time into the class prob not gonna teach you anything you don't already know but if you new to it/interested in trying it kinda just walk through everything the class is capable of.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Evil Canadian posted:

As always, if you already put time into the class prob not gonna teach you anything you don't already know but if you new to it/interested in trying it kinda just walk through everything the class is capable of.

How is damage formed? How Orochi starts dying?

Orlen
Oct 25, 2005
custom user title
I'm looking to play with some goons! I'm Orlen86 on Uplay - add me for some goonplay.

E: I read back through the last few pages and couldn't find anything. Is there a goon group of some kind for this?

Orlen fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 20, 2017

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Evil Canadian posted:

I don't care how pro people are, the only things you need to know for Lawbringer is the impaling charge, and the toss. :colbert: Because they are loving hilarious to do.

Didn't even realize that there was so many openings to shove people though. The tutorial videos really are loving awful about the core mechanics of the classes.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

People I know super into fighting games are already seeing frays in the mechanics but it's probably problems for only 5% of the population

Let me tell why Street Fighter 3rd Strike is the best even though no one really plays it etc.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Because it has a robot in a trench coat

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I'll continue winning games in low tier Overwatch with Hanzo, because it is fun :shrug:

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Because it has a robot in a trench coat

Q is so cool........ yet so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

so much salt for this game, yet suckas still be playing :laffo: