Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Peanut President posted:

Judge Dredd came out the same year as Waterworld and Batman Forever, you gotta give it a little credit. it also came out the same year as Die Hard With a Vengeance and Se7en

I don't understand, every movie you listed is great. 1995 had some real stinkers, like Showgirls, Congo, Johnny Mnemonic, Jury Duty, Jade....

But you know what? At least they weren't sequels to comic book movies. Holy gently caress do movies suck now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Ammanas posted:

I don't understand, every movie you listed is great. 1995 had some real stinkers, like Showgirls, Congo, Johnny Mnemonic, Jury Duty, Jade....

But you know what? At least they weren't sequels to comic book movies. Holy gently caress do movies suck now

Excuse me, only one of those movies are bad!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ammanas posted:

I'm pretty sure Batman Forever was the sequel to a comic book movie actually.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Ammanas posted:

1995 had some real stinkers, like Showgirls

Looks like you just don't "get" Showgirls, unlike me of course :smug:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Whoa now. Congo and Johnny Mnemonic are fun movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jade owns.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Casimir Radon posted:

These were the two I was going to mention. I've got a soft spot for them both.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tars Tarkas posted:

Excuse me, only one of those movies are bad!

Jury Duty? That'd be my lowest from that list.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Casimir Radon posted:

A whole lot of terrible movies are fun.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Has there been a lack of terrible fun movies or does that stuff need time to... congeal? What would be a good recent example?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Has there been a lack of terrible fun movies or does that stuff need time to... congeal? What would be a good recent example?

Gods of Egypt? I think it's a masterpiece though, it does exactly what it set out to. I remember liking Huntsman 2 also, and love Chappie, those are also divisive. Hardcore Henry, etc

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Action Jacktion posted:

Looks like you just don't "get" Showgirls, unlike me of course :smug:

Showgirls, much like starship troopers, it's awesome and defeats facile analysis.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Regarding this topic, I think The Raiders of Atlantis is one of the most fun movies ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ0m-idDCLg

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Judge Dredd isn't entirely stupid. The scene where Dredd is dog fighting with the other evil judge hunters and easily levels half a dozen apartment buildings is absolutely played for dark laughs.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ammanas posted:

Waterworld good Congo bad, yeah whatever dude.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Waterworld is also good though. Not great but decent.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Thundercracker posted:

Judge Dredd isn't entirely stupid. The scene where Dredd is dog fighting with the other evil judge hunters and easily levels half a dozen apartment buildings is absolutely played for dark laughs.

*laughs darkly*

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Suicide Squad.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
My top picks for 2016's best bad movies are Meet the Blacks, London Has Fallen, and Gods of Egypt

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

suicide squad is not fun in any way. actually i lied when boomerang peaces out with the beers that's funny.

it's a real loving bad movie on every level tho.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It has its moments, but those are largely down to Margot Robbie and Will Smith.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

suicide squad is not fun in any way. actually i lied when boomerang peaces out with the beers that's funny.

it's a real loving bad movie on every level tho.

I disagree. It's a lot like Escape From L.A., Mystery Men or Space Truckers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i've honestly not seen a movie as poorly edited and i'm mad that you compared it to mystery men.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

i've honestly not seen a movie as poorly edited and i'm mad that you compared it to mystery men.

Well, all things being equal, it's better than Mystery Men.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Don't say things you can't take back motherfucker

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Two funny things from Suicide Squad that immediately pop to mind:

- When Rick Flagg just shrugs after he witnesses his boss murder a room full of computer jokeys

- The running gag where helicopters keep getting shot down, but nobody important gets killed or even wounded

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this subforum is a goddamn cesspool.

K. Waste posted:

- When Rick Flagg just shrugs after he witnesses his boss murder a room full of computer jokeys

the katana introduction was p funny.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Suicide Squads extremely poor editing was pretty funny

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

K. Waste posted:

My top picks for 2016's best bad movies are Meet the Blacks, London Has Fallen, and Gods of Egypt

The concept behind Gods of Egypt sounds loving bonkers but everything I've heard makes it sound pretty boring in practice.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Didn't Mystery Men give us Smash Mouth's All Star?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rirse posted:

Didn't Mystery Men give us Smash Mouth's All Star?

Which is significantly better than that goddamned Heathens song.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

K. Waste posted:

London has Fallen had a tragic lack of Masters of the Bazaar.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

K. Waste posted:

Gods of Egypt is actually a good movie though???

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Improbable Lobster posted:

Suicide Squads extremely poor editing was pretty funny

Suicide Squad isn't badly edited. It's tastelessly edited - which is an important distinction. The noticeable recycling of effects shots gives it a distinct Roger Corman vibe, for example.

People like to point out 'it was edited by a trailer company!', but Hollywood trailers aren't known for their bad editing. Quite the opposite, they are known for being too well-edited, to the point of misleading people.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I don't know how controversial this opinion is but b v s is my personal worst blockbuster movie of 2016, like how do you get three of the most iconic characters in American pop culture and make it so dull and agonising to watch

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The concept behind Gods of Egypt sounds loving bonkers but everything I've heard makes it sound pretty boring in practice.

Pretty much. Also nothing about the cosmology makes any kind of sense. Like Gerard Butler performs his coup and then just up and declares that getting into the afterlife works completely different now.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

In the same way that lala land had great actors to elevate otherwise fairly paper thin characters, b v s had the four leads (being generous because I was not very impressed with the super man actor) doing their damned best to make the movie work but the movie just refused to let them breathe. The very few things I genuinely enjoyed about the show is the late night comedy clip that ends with the Martian

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Suicide Squad isn't badly edited. It's tastelessly edited - which is an important distinction. The noticeable recycling of effects shots gives it a distinct Roger Corman vibe, for example.

People like to point out 'it was edited by a trailer company!', but Hollywood trailers aren't known for their bad editing. Quite the opposite, they are known for being too well-edited, to the point of misleading people.

I would argue that there isn't a difference between tasteless and bad when what comes out is as awful as Suicide Squad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Saddest Rhino posted:

In the same way that lala land had great actors to elevate otherwise fairly paper thin characters, b v s had the four leads (being generous because I was not very impressed with the super man actor) doing their damned best to make the movie work but the movie just refused to let them breathe. The very few things I genuinely enjoyed about the show is the late night comedy clip that ends with the Martian

The DC comics films have been trying to combine the Marvel Cinematic Universe money machine with a grim n' gritty so serious tone while also trying to cram all the "world-building" sequel setup into a single film. They bit off way more than they can chew and they're still trying to choke it down. Marvel worked because they took 4 years before their first team up film to figure out their formula and let people get a feel for their characters and aesthetics.

I seriously doubt that we'll get a DCU film that actually manages to garner a positive critical response any time soon. It'll just be a slow decline in profit until the suits call the whole thing off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Groovelord Neato posted:

the katana introduction was p funny.

Yeah, it was - as was Delevingne's boneheaded sashaying and an Aztec god being killed by completely conventional weaponry.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

You heard wrong. Gods of Egypt is exactly as competently made and entertaining as the Ray Harryhausen fantasies to which it is an homage.

muscles like this! posted:

Pretty much. Also nothing about the cosmology makes any kind of sense. Like Gerard Butler performs his coup and then just up and declares that getting into the afterlife works completely different now.

Butler is a literal god, cosmology is what he says it is, not the other way around.

• Locked thread