Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'll usually concede if I'm in a no-win situation, like Iona on blue against my mono-blue deck with no outs.

The exception is if my opponent is playing very slowly. Then screw 'em.

Ninja edit: Interestingly enough, I've beaten Iona on blue as Blue Tron several times. Never lost to it, in fact. Turns out Mindslaver is colorless. :getin:

Moral of the story: Don't Gifts for Iona unless it's actually good. Gifts for value against the value decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Lunsku posted:

The first list:
http://porotour.com/poro-tour-modern-top-8-pakkalistat-2/

Featuring 4x Glittering Wish and a toolbox sideboard to go with it, Madcap Experiment + Platinum Emperion, a set of Bring to Lights. The usual. Among other things.

I guess that's one way to beat the mill matchup

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicide jund is such a weird loving deck and it vaguely confuses me that it's apparently good

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Teammate is 10-2 at GP Vancouver on Ad Naus. Congrats on his first pro point!

If he ends up on camera he's wearing a purple "Untapped Potential" shirt

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Quick 1-2 in the modern event. Merfolk attacked for 15 on turn 5 when I had him dead. Maindeck rhino also difficult. Rip me :(

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
A player just shuffled an opponents deck face up on camera.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

suicide jund is such a weird loving deck and it vaguely confuses me that it's apparently good

Also how does a good player get a draw with it?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I genuinely don't understand why you're allowed to play Sensei's Diving Top in Legacy

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

sit on my Facebook posted:

I genuinely don't understand why you're allowed to play Sensei's Diving Top in any format that's not Vintage

Legacy is the last place you can play an actual (good) blue control deck and the worry is that if you ban Top, Miracles stops being a deck and legacy devolves into combo versus prison like vintage.

Ban Top.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Elyv posted:

It's mostly just a Jund Delirium deck that has the Death's Shadow/Temur Battle Rage combo as a finisher. It reminds me a bit of Twin, kinda - a fundamentally fair deck that happens to be able to present an instant kill.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Also, Sensei's Divining Top is the greatest card ever printed and should be legal in all formats. However, in addition, slow play should be strictly enforced and punishable by death.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Rinkles posted:

Also how does a good player get a draw with it?

Your opponent plays slow as hell, gets his Iona, but doesn't have enough time to close the game. For one scenario.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Slow play rules should be a thing completely independent of Top's existence and legality.

If you want to play your durdly rear end deck, play it fast.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Attorney at Funk posted:

Also, Sensei's Divining Top is the greatest card ever printed and should be legal in all formats. However, in addition, slow play should be strictly enforced and punishable by death.

I find this to be a more than acceptable compromise position.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Top is the single biggest mistake WOTC has ever printed. It's god damned miserable.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

People have actually won by their opponent conceding on the spot when they combo off without having their combo mainboard so this is poor form

didn't lsv like X-0 a tournament doing this

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

He split the semifinals, which was all people who knew that he didn't actually have his Tendrils in his sideboard to Wish for IIRC.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yea he forgot to put the Tendrils (?) in his sideboard and played most of the day with opponents scooping in response to "I cast wish?".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

He split the semifinals, which was all people who knew that he didn't actually have his Tendrils in his sideboard to Wish for IIRC.

what about before then tho, what was his final record

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Gerry just conceded and then drew into the top8 to qualify for the pro tour. Go Gerry.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Gerry just conceded and then drew into the top8 to qualify for the pro tour. Go Gerry.

He was already Gold.

To put my devil's advocate hat on for a second, competitive anything is gonna involve scummy opponents sometimes, and being able to persuade judges is a vital skill for competitive play because even if everyone is acting in good faith you're gonna have to do it occasionally.

I agree with this but it should be up the judges to police poo poo like this. It's bad for the game. Imagine if something like this happened in a feature match at the pro tour?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Eela6 posted:

Top is the single biggest mistake WOTC has ever printed. It's god damned miserable.

That's a bold statement considering Mental Misstep is a card that exists.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ThePeavstenator posted:

That's a bold statement considering Mental Misstep is a card that exists.

Top is worse for Magic than Misstep is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Spotted the Eldrazi player

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Spotted the Eldrazi player

Nah I don't play eldrazi.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Nah I don't play eldrazi.

Spotted the Manaless Dredge player

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Modern has gotten stellar viewer numbers despite it being WOTC coverage.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Just saw the Digital Next thing, I can't be bothered to actually follow this, can someone just tell me if I should cash out of MTGO? I dont even really have any money in it besides shocks fetches and snapcasters.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Terrible Horse posted:

Just saw the Digital Next thing, I can't be bothered to actually follow this, can someone just tell me if I should cash out of MTGO? I dont even really have any money in it besides shocks fetches and snapcasters.

My piss poor advice is to cash out now, if MDN turns out to kill Modo you're up, if it's a watered down duals clone thing then you can just buy back in and it won't affect prices.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

C-Euro posted:

True, but if I'm playing against Ad Nauseam and I know the combo's coming I'm not going to ask my opponent to riffle through their deck; if I know I'm dead I'll just let them pick up their whole deck and make sure they pitch enough lands. If I think I can beat them mid-combo I'm just going to make them reveal cards one by one until I make my move. Also I'm just paranoid about handing my deck over to my opponent unless I get hit by something like Bribery that explicitly states "search your opponent's library".

Regardless, what the opponent did was extremely bad form and he probably figured his only out was to get your friend on a technicality like that. People who try to pull a fast one on their opponents like that place too much importance in this dumb card game for children.

You should make them reveal their whole deck so you can look for any spicy changes from the standard deck / see what they boarded in, but that guy is a scumlord and I cannot believe that a judge ruled that way with lethal damage on the stack.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

I genuinely don't understand why you're allowed to play Sensei's Diving Top in Legacy

I've gone to time in legacy two times in the literal hundreds of matches and one was a player intentionally slow playing to a game 3 draw and a judge was tooooo loving lenient and once was a terrible miracles player where again, a judge didn't really give a poo poo.

I've mindslaver decked people in about 50 matches and have killed people with punishing fires from 20 multiple times, too, so I'm prone to potential slow play.

Bad miracles players vs other bad miracles players fucks up the clock and since it's the control wet dream, has basics, and is mostly uncommons for the core functionality it gets a lot of bad players.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Sigma-X posted:

a player intentionally slow playing to a game 3 draw

If someone is deliberately playing slow, that's stalling. Slow Play is when they are playing slow and need a fire lit under their rear end.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I agree with this but it should be up the judges to police poo poo like this. It's bad for the game. Imagine if something like this happened in a feature match at the pro tour?

Another question worth considering is if it had happened on camera, would the judge have felt pressured to rule differently/more harshly?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

This is wrong. Top is a great card. Maybe one of the best cards.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Archenteron posted:

:pusheen: And it's practice for eventual Battle of Wits play, shuffling a 150 card deck.

went 3-1 for a FNM with a 237 card Battle of Wits deck during Ravnica/Time Spiral Standard. Only lost to Dragon Storm. Beat Zoo, B/U Control, and I believe Orzhov agro

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

No Luck Needed posted:

went 3-1 for a FNM with a 237 card Battle of Wits deck during Ravnica/Time Spiral Standard. Only lost to Dragon Storm. Beat Zoo, B/U Control, and I believe Orzhov agro

Everyone knows 242 is the correct number for Battle of Wits. :cmon:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is wrong. Top is a great card. Maybe one of the best cards.

Agreed.

Personally I'd go with every phyrexian mana or delve spell that see play (aside from Logic Knot and Murderous Cut) being much, much worse than Top. Dig Through Time got Lodestone Golem restricted and put vintage in the sorry state it's in now. :argh:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

suicidesteve posted:

Personally I'd go with every phyrexian mana or delve spell that see play (aside from Logic Knot and Murderous Cut) being much, much worse than Top. Dig Through Time got Lodestone Golem restricted and put vintage in the sorry state it's in now. :argh:

What about Death Rattle?!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

No Luck Needed posted:

What is this?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Dig Through Time is my friend and I wish for it's freedom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Dig Through Time is my friend and I wish for it's freedom

Dig Through Time is real. It's strong. And it's my friend.

• Locked thread