Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Modus Pwnens posted:

If Konami really cared about Bomberman they would have given the team a bigger budget than a $500 gift code for the Unity asset store.

The best part is that unless Bomberman R is a massive success (lol) it's going to be used by Konami to reinforce their "gently caress videogames, yay pachinko" views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

EpicNemesis posted:

Is this real or a joke? I can't tell anymore.

it's like this game is exclusively for the switch!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

The best part is that unless Bomberman R is a massive success (lol) it's going to be used by Konami to reinforce their "gently caress videogames, yay pachinko" views.
pachinko laws changed in japan such that there's way less money in it, so they'll probably keep making them but also hashing their licenses out for cheap cash-in games like the metal gear zombie game and 50 bomberman games

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

panchinko is crashing my man

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Motto posted:

FE's math is insanely simple?

... Yeah? Its literally Str+weapon might minus Target's Def. And you double attack if you have 5 more speed (in the most recent games).

There are other modifiers but its all pretty basic math.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Konami is making more money now that they've given up making real video games so I doubt they'll stop

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zore posted:

... Yeah? Its literally Str+weapon might minus Target's Def. And you double attack if you have 5 more speed (in the most recent games).

There are other modifiers but its all pretty basic math.

I know, I'm baffled by that being "bad math" to jimmyhats

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm excited for the Nintendo Switch by Nintendo coming out on March 3rd, 2017.

Don't forget to also pick up a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild by Nintendo.
It releases the same day and is guaranteed to take your breath away!

The Nintendo Switch by Nintendo has a suggested retail price of $299 and will be available at most retail outlets.
But don't delay! Most pre-orders have already been claimed so be sure to line up at your favorite participating retailer to pick up your very own Nintendo Switch by Nintendo!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

I choose to believe he didn't mean that and he actually does mean the calcs are way too simple because a complaint of "lol, there's math in it" would be a pretty depressing one :smith:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah this art style owns and is a million times better then the trash rear end anime direction they were desperate to try to tack onto the series awhile ago.

theyre both anime

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I bet Jimmy Hats tried FE and was bad at it and quit and now hates it because of that

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i mean the switch boxart is better i agree on that but its also anime

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Motto posted:

Ah sorry, it looked like a question.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
All the games you like are anime

RME
Feb 20, 2012

if galois theory isnt involved in figuring out how much damage i'm doing i can't accept the game

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Dr Cheeto posted:

What about MLB The Show?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
if konami cared about bomberman they'd make act zero backwards compatible

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

a n i m e

RME
Feb 20, 2012

you will roll dice to do damage equal to the roots of this polynomial to your adversaries

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dryzen posted:

a n i m e

Not in my Bomberman!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Soul Glo posted:

What about MLB The Show?

Sorry, Japan got a hold of baseball and now it is extremely anime

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

baseball, huh

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Motto posted:

I'm baffled that people view his posts seriously and not as a joke.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Revel in Bomberman. All Bomberman commercials should be this commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XTLG4_Om7c

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Motto posted:

FE's math is insanely simple?

Motto posted:

Its bad math because you hit the end game and then enemies are waves of heavily str skewed berserkers who turn your guys into paste with 1-3 hits and a 30% chance to turn your guys into ultra paste in 1 hit, or they are heavily armor skewed generals where most of your dudes just bounce off. There's like no middle line and it's basically rock paper scissors with that % chance of being told to reatart the game because that is certainly a lot of fun. Random stats growth basically means that half your dudes are going to be either poo poo or actually usable or very rarely stupidly over strong which is sort of neat for a laugh but actually bad for challenging the player.

Using small numbers and simple math like FE does combined with random elements like crit rate and stat growth is ultra dumb, and bad. You need a lot bigger numbers to offset that sort of poo poo. A decent example is something like warcraft3 or advance wars (big numbers w/ small ranges of random poo poo that evens out across sheer volume of attacks) versus starcraft or paper mario (small numbers without random poo poo). P mario is an example of small number and simple math being reaaaally easy to abuse, fire emblem is basically that but with crit chances because ???

I am eternally mad about fire emblem

You know what though the series is actually really good tho cuz marth was in smash bros and anime is cool and good and i have already pre-ordered the new fire emblem.

Anyways i hope to shut the gently caress up about FE soon, when the nintendo switch releases probably

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I did Conquest on hard so I feel every bit of that :rip:

Guaranteed crits probably have a place somewhere but that 3% chance to restart is a mistake

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

paid off my switch :hfive:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It's called bomberman because MAN! Is it ever gonna bomb!!!

Hehe I changed the switch title because the post where it came from made me laugh so much. I have nothing against bomberman. I've never even played one. I just like funny jokes!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I can't believe that VideoGames has gone rogue. This is the worst betrayal since Vin Diesel in the Fast & Furious 8 trailer.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This is my slow descent into heel territory. I have been planning this since 2003. The longest con!!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

it's fun to play the heel

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Now I want a Fire Emblem game where you play as Bomberman characters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomberman_Wars

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jimmy Hats posted:

Its bad math because you hit the end game and then enemies are waves of heavily str skewed berserkers who turn your guys into paste with 1-3 hits and a 30% chance to turn your guys into ultra paste in 1 hit, or they are heavily armor skewed generals where most of your dudes just bounce off. There's like no middle line and it's basically rock paper scissors with that % chance of being told to reatart the game because that is certainly a lot of fun.
oh you've only played awakening on lunatic lol. there's a reason why your units have very high luck and the enemy has very low luck. also bersekers in endgame fe have such poo poo hit rates that you can just send any swordmaster against them and they'll have a 0% chance to hit them. and also the actually good fire emblems (not awakening and fates) give you tons of prepromotes that have solid enough base stats that if a unit's growths don't hold out you can just swap them in.

anyway play thracia 776, the best fire emblem. everyone has stat caps of 20 max so growths barely matter, especially since there are a ton of holdable items that increase your growths, and those holdable items also negate enemy crits and you have enough for your entire team by endgame

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Endorph posted:

if konami really cared about bomberman they wouldn't be releasing it on the switch

Nintendo specifically asked for it, and they're probably going to make sure it's not a colossal failure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nintendo can't even make sure their own consoles aren't colossal failures

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Switch is good, Endorph. Perhaps you shouldn't judge

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

and also the actually good fire emblems (not awakening and fates)

The problem here is that these two are the successful fire emblems so they're just going to keep making GBS threads out the same deal, and it is my greatest wish that FE would die and this would not come to be.

Endorph posted:

anyway play thracia 776, the best fire emblem.

Did they release it in english or do I have to :filez:? Does it have Hector (the best guy)?!!?!?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Also if everyone could just ignore my fire emblem posts that would be best for all of us. I have a problem.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you could just not make the posts??

And also fire emblem echoes is an incredibly faithful remake of the second fire emblem game that seems to be keeping approximately zero of the features of fates/awakening, and they have mentioned that they are aware of some of the issues of awakening/fates gameplay-wise, so they probably will alter the formula somewhat going forward.

also thracia 776 is a snes game released in 1999. so, no, it didn't get a us release. also hector isn't in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Dr Cheeto posted:

No! Noooo!

• Locked thread