Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Decrepus posted:

Hit the lich with your +9 holy weapon firestorm imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Good luck casting that while entombed within your impenetrable dragon armor +9.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Chei stats, baby.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
Well, I mean, it was only a +6 holy eveningstar, but I did have like 30 slaying with Song of Slaying factored in. Do you think I should have hit him with it?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Ieoh Jian Council is live.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Are they not in CAO trunk or something, or am I just tremendously unlucky? I've gotten five characters to temple and not seen their altar yet.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
probably not in cao until it rebuilds tonight. likewise, cbro

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Well, RIP the hour and a half I just spent I guess. I thought "live" meant "live on any online trunk builds"

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
brannock'd again.............

(it's live in cjr and australia!)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

So wait, is the intent that you constantly move around instead of 'bump attacking' or as an augment for when you need to do some repositioning?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

vOv posted:

So wait, is the intent that you constantly move around instead of 'bump attacking' or as an augment for when you need to do some repositioning?
The different abilites are tied to weapon types and are useful in different ways. Lunge is strong for initiating fights, whirlwind lets you reposition while attacking, and wall jump can be used as a renewable escape(or AOE attack).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So, uh, does anyone else see the similarity to Sil's combat perks with the new god? Lunge and Whirlwind are basically Sil's Charge and Flanking. I mean I get that there are only so many ways of spicing up meele combat in a RL, but still

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yes? it's good to take good things from good games

e: Brogue also has lunge on rapiers and whirlwind on flails

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
lunge is also stolen from hoplite and from necrodancer. heck, whirlwind is stolen from necrodancer too. it's hosed up and i won't stand for it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Serephina posted:

So, uh, does anyone else see the similarity to Sil's combat perks with the new god? Lunge and Whirlwind are basically Sil's Charge and Flanking. I mean I get that there are only so many ways of spicing up meele combat in a RL, but still

IronicDongz posted:

Yes? it's good to take good things from good games

I'm reminded of something...

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PleasingFungus posted:

it's hosed up and i won't stand for it

Outstanding! Glad to see the voice of reason prevailing.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

Serephina posted:

Well, axe cleaving was already a direct lift from Brogue.

I don't see a problem here: I am confident that these games do not converge to some roguelike clump, identical in gameplay with just different name tags.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Urgent FR: retheme the council god as the frathouse god, make the golden clouds skill into "summon foam party"

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

tote up a bags posted:

Urgent FR: retheme the council god as the frathouse god, make the golden clouds skill into "summon foam party"

Well if it's urgent I guess it should just make it into trunk

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I love this god and I'm glad it made it in!

vOv posted:

Moving is basically superior to tabbing because it applies slow or distracted while doing the same amount of damage. The way the god works is you hit in flurries for a certain number of times dependent on your move speed and your attack speed. So, if you move at 10 auts and attack at 10 auts, you'll swing once when you lunge. But if you're using a demon whip at 5 delay, you'll swing twice to account for your movement taking twice as long as your attack. So you should constantly be repositioning, using your martial abilities to keep action parity against large groups in the open and positioning to get lunges. Lunges add a lot of damage, so it's really worth it to go for them when you can.

Serephina posted:

That was my first impression also, but apparently the author has never played Sil.

By the way, I really recommend stabbers of IJC. It basically gives you reaching and cleaving on your stabs and sometimes you can line up crazy stuff, especially with serpent's lash, to stab three enemies at once from halfway across the screen. In earlier versions, shortblades were amazing with this god because instead of flurries of attacks, you got a straight damage multiplier, which meant you could punch through AC and oneshot stone giants with a rapier. It was probably pretty unbalanced, leading to situations like this:

(missing an orb of fire, then still killing it in one hit with VS antimagic bite)

But, It was fun to just be able to use a short blade and not worry about weapon switching and reskilling and whatnot.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
After splatting my last couple of characters in the mid-game, I decided to tr a new tack and go for a DDFI of Makh which seemed like a fun and potentialyl OP Combo. I went with swords because I liked the idea of Riposte with a vampiric weapon.

Game was pretty straight forward, although Plate armour didn't show up until level 2 of Orc (which itself was on level 11 of dungeon), and I had to use a Flaming Scimitar until Depths 5 because no bloody enemies (including Hell Knights) spawned with a demon blade, and no vampiric swords dropped either.

However, what did finally spawn was a unique tengu (can't remember his name) with the Sword of the Leech (+8 fixedart Vampiric Demon blade :cheer:)

Now, wearing GDA, large shield, reflect ammy, and some fantastic Res gear, I'm basically tabbing my way through the game.

This combo seems like once it gets going, it's pretty insanely powerful. I've never even had to use the racial MP drain on my wand of healing. I'm debating extended end game, but I also kinda just want to get another win after my last few splats.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Coming soon to an experimental branch on CBRO near you:

-Strong Nose only detects monsters up to three tiles at all mutation levels. The 5/7 tile radius was stepping on Formicids and Ashenzari too much, so this change should keep the pseudo SInv flavor without getting crazy. The detect item radius still grows at the same rates, but the mutation growth has changed from 11/22 to 12/24 (as the numbers were originally created for the -4 XP attribute version of the species).

-Adjusted the Cyno soft skill cap from starting at +3 apt/-2 apt every 5 levels, to starting at +4 apt/-4 apt every 6 levels. This is mainly a nerf, as the old system had you still earning skill levels at a rate better than a mummy until roughly skill level 21, which pretty much defeats the point of the soft skill cap for all but the highest level items. This new system should bring that down a significant degree without severely altering the earlier skill levels, as well as provide a better encouragement to jump to other skills with the larger decrease in aptitude per step. This also has the side effect of speeding up the earlier skill levels, which should be fine.

Unless it still turns out to be ridiculously easy to train mid-to-higher skill levels (or something else comes up in feedback/testing), I feel I'm mostly done developing the core of the race, so the last thing I feel is left is a bit more flavor. I'm considering adding Shoutitis 1 (bark at mean things), but I feel like I might need to add something positive to compensate, as Cyno already has the -2 XP and skill cap thing going on. If anyone wants to leave feedback on whether or not this is a good idea (despite my decent amount of wins, I still give little to no regard for noise and don't notice the effects of any noise below Qazlal/Gong levels), or any other ideas for small flavor things to add (positive or negative), feel free to chip in! Likewise, I'm always looking for more player feedback on the species if you do decide to play it!

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 20, 2017

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Shoutitus mostly screws stabbers. Hampering a specific build seems out of character for a jack of all trades race, plus stabbers generally like spreading XP across several skills so they seem like a good match.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Floodkiller, I'm very interested in seeing the xp math behind the cyno changes (I can't play myself, too lazy to set up a tty). When I first heard of them as a +5 apt race with a cap at 12, I was excited, as it's basically gnollcrawl but more midgame-ish. But now, I just can't get excited about basically a race with +1 to get to skill lvl12, then negative infinity past that. What sort of characters are ppl playing with those apts?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

So maybe I'm just dumb, but Throw Flame seems worse than Flame Tongue a lot of the time in the early game because of the reduced accuracy + the decreased damage/MP efficiency.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The only advantage is the range, but that goes away as Flame Tongue's range goes up and you get other spells. There's no reason to memorize Throw Flame now that you can't just book amnesia it away, imo.

It should probably just be removed, but I have no idea what you'd replace it with.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Haifisch posted:

The only advantage is the range, but that goes away as Flame Tongue's range goes up and you get other spells. There's no reason to memorize Throw Flame now that you can't just book amnesia it away, imo.

It should probably just be removed, but I have no idea what you'd replace it with.

Battlesphere!

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Tinder Fire/Hexes Level 2

If there are two or more enemies visible, MR check to have them turn neutral and leave the dungeon to bang. Must succeed against 2
or more enemies, has a chance to berserk any that fail.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

now that the council god is in we can finally have a discussion about removing okawaru

or at least i will with myself

okawaru is boring

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Johnny Joestar posted:

now that the council god is in we can finally have a discussion about removing okawaru

or at least i will with myself

okawaru is boring

Okawaru (and Vehumet, for that matter) could use a bit of zazz but the god isn't going to be removed.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would also be fine with a rework, as my main issue with okawaru is that it feels like you could just truncate the piety bar down to 2 stars for them and it wouldn't make a single difference as long as the two stars are equivalent to ranks 1 and 5

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Vehumet is just fine and I don't want no changes to my favorite god. :argh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Okawaru is the god of Christmas gifts you didn't ask for.

Oh another buckler? Gee, thanks Uncle Oka. No I'm sure I'll use it after I put my triple sword away...

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Well, I decided to go for a plain 3 Rune. Zot got a little dicey a couple of times, but never below 1/3 HP. I was going to see how Z5 went and then decide on potential extended game, but after getting horrible mutations and having not seen a lot of cure mut pots, I just decided to take the win. Always happy with a win, and I think this is my first Deep Dwarf win:

pre:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.19.4-9-g45fd643 (webtiles) character file.

pmj79 the Dwarven Barricade (Deep Dwarf Fighter)   Turns: 70320, Time: 09:49:11

Health: 221/250    AC: 34    Str: 30      XL:     27
Magic:  34/34      EV:  6    Int: 12 (13) God:    Makhleb [******]
Gold:   7736       SH: 32    Dex: 14      Spells: 4 memorised, 21 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    P - +8 demon blade "Leech" {vamp, rN+ AC-3 EV-3}
rCold  + + +      Gourm    .    L - +5 gold dragon scales
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    t - +2 large shield
rPois  +          Spirit   .    J - +0 hat {MR+}
rElec  +          Reflect  +    K - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  +          Harm     .    G - +3 pair of gloves "Nesiukid" {Regen+ Stlth+}
MR     +++++                    d - +0 pair of boots of Defence {rF+ rC++ rCorr Dex-5}
Stlth  ..........               s - +2 amulet of reflection
                                a - ring of the Octopus King {AC+1 EV+1 Str+1 Int+1 Dex+1 SInv}
                                I - ring of the Echidna {rElec rF+ rN++ Str+4 Dex+3}

@: non-regenerating, studying Unarmed Combat
A: damage resistance, recharge devices, beak, blurry vision 1, clumsy 1,
deformed body, frail 1, negative energy resistance 1, sense surroundings 3, slow
regeneration 3, MP-powered wands
a: Device Recharging, Minor Destruction, Lesser Servant of Makhleb, Major
Destruction, Greater Servant of Makhleb, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, silver

Goliath
Oct 22, 2007

TG: assistant director of chumpography
Every time I walk past an altar to a "good god" as a DS of makleb I have the urge to desecrate it somehow. Like, gain 1 pip piety with mak in exchange for penance from the offended god.

This goes double for Lucy.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

boy bazaars sure are great you guys :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I thought bazaars always had a minimum of 4 shops.

EDIT: Playing Crawl at 2am, scream "gently caress YOU" at the top of my lungs because after carefully going through all of Slime the very last shining eye I saw gave me frail :cripes:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 20, 2017

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

PLEASE make it that Cynos are hypnotised by Natasha

also for the benefit to offset barking, how about meat gives double satiation or something? maybe that's not significant enough though

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

I went to a bazaar and I was actually 30 gold short (I had already bought a few things), kill me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

apple posted:

I went to a bazaar and I was actually 30 gold short (I had already bought a few things), kill me

why would you buy anything in a bazaar before looking at all of the shops first though

• Locked thread