Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I understand why they're pretty inept at combat, considering this is basically an action RPG and having companions that are too efficient would mean you end up with little to do which isn't good.

There's no reason for them to be so inept at reviving you.

Couple of days late to the guy who asked about food, but basically, it's only really worth eating if you're going to be doing a combat sidequest or progressing the story. You don't need a costly (gil or ingredients) food buff 100% of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Have you perhaps invested points into making them perform better?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I understand why they're pretty inept at combat, considering this is basically an action RPG and having companions that are too efficient would mean you end up with little to do which isn't good.

There's no reason for them to be so inept at reviving you.

Couple of days late to the guy who asked about food, but basically, it's only really worth eating if you're going to be doing a combat sidequest or progressing the story. You don't need a costly (gil or ingredients) food buff 100% of the time

You're playing the game completely wrong, your squad in FFXV is not inept when handled correctly.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
I hated flying enemies until I got the Bow of the Clever, it's speed of firing and it's strength compared to other ranged weapons coupled with the mobility of gives you mostly trivialises those fights. Plus the ridiculousness of its Overwhelm attack.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Norns posted:

Have you perhaps invested points into making them perform better?

Yup, they do decent damage when they bother to attack.

The Elder Couerl hunt pretty much perfectly encapsulated what was wrong with the AI for me. Noct get's pinned down by one of the Couerl, and Ignis screams "NNNNOOOCCCCTTTTTT!" while standing perfectly still facing the camera right beside me for the 5 seconds of me mashing O to get out of the grapple rather than breaking it up.

Then i point warp to the arch to hang and regain health. The other 3 guys stop fighting completely and stand there looking up at me while the one Couerl we were kicking the poo poo out of heals itself to near full health and the other two hammer the gently caress out of my team because they aren't moving or attacking.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I said come in! posted:

You're playing the game completely wrong, your squad in FFXV is not inept when handled correctly.

There's literally nothing you can do about the fact their rate of attack is rather low. Buffing their stats increases the damage each of these attacks do but there is nothing you can do to encourage them to actually attack more. You factually cannot do this rightly or wrongly. It's entirely down to the AI as any link strikes or L1 commands are direct results of your actions, not the AI choosing to use them. For all intents and purposes, these are Noctis' abilities, not your party's. Ex. Iggy needs to be alive to use Enhancement, but he won't use it until you say so, so it's essentially your skill as Noctis, not Iggy's and he's just a pre-req to using it.

There are no skills that say "Ups Gladio's tendency to attack by 30%" where them standing around choosing to attack or not, or even attacking the wrong enemy for that context, can be influenced by things you do.

Once again, the AI partners are intentionally inept at actually contributing to combat as they'd deny you the work you're meant to be doing as Noctis if they were proficient at dispatching enemies.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 19, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I donno. I don't think I'd be denied any satisfaction if Prompto didn't instantly melt like butter.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It definitely sucks and I agree entirely, but even that's part of them making it so you have to actively consider using the item system to heal them, furthering the amount of game you're supposed to be actively participating in. You can give them skills (First Aid etc) to help counter it, but they don't use those especially often either, or maybe they have a long hidden cooldown on them.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Anybody know what the sales figures for this game are? Has it been commercially successful?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

fridge corn posted:

Anybody know what the sales figures for this game are? Has it been commercially successful?

Over 6 million copies sold, yes

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Over 6 million copies sold, yes

How many copies do they need to sell to break even?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

fridge corn posted:

they already did supposedly

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

fridge corn posted:

Less than 5 million based on some comments from devs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

fridge corn posted:

They broke even the first week it was out

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

They broke even the first week first day it was out

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/07/final-fantasy-xv-broke-even-development-costs-launch-day/

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Budget (and time, jesus christ) was saved by not going through and finishing that second open world area. Kinda hope a surprise final DLC becomes a romp through a certain part of it though, from the E3 footage of years past.

Nier Automata stuff incoming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Budget (and time, jesus christ) was saved by not going through and finishing that second open world area. Kinda hope a surprise final DLC becomes a romp through a certain part of it though, from the E3 footage of years past.

Nier Automata stuff incoming.

It's pretty telling that I can think of no fewer than three areas in the game that you mean when you say second open world area.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Has anyone done all the key dungeons? I've done three at this point and can't be hosed anymore because they are so loving dull. Is there any payoff going to Costlemark or is it just more tedium to get items dungeoneering?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty telling that I can think of no fewer than three areas in the game that you mean when you say second open world area.

Oh. Best to say "second open world continent". Then it'd been a PS5 launch title.

e: patch went live early, but some things will be pushed out on the 22nd or something only?

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 20, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/833499939191693312

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Just got Zwill Crossblades, I hate dagger moveset but love the damage they do. If I use Ultima Blade will I still do more damage at full health?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

so do these fireworks ever end

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Timed Quest: Kill 100 cactaur of the aggressive kind. I think I could brute-force it on my LV1 playthrough.

e: No I can not reasonable brute force it on my LV1 playthrough which currently is in CH3. Ouch.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 20, 2017

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

What the hell does Pro Lite mean?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ometeotl posted:

What the hell does Pro Lite mean?

PS4 Pro

Lite mode (60fps mode)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Well I finally finished the Carnival, but I couldn't catch the A/B fish at level 5, what a loving pain in the rear end that is at level 4.

Did all the other quests though, however I didn't pick up the ultimate pass so I could see the boring fireworks again.

The patch for 200 photographs saved is nice but jesus even 150 isn't enough space. It would be nice to download every photo TO the PS4 and then clear the photoroll out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

gently caress yeah

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There's literally nothing you can do about the fact their rate of attack is rather low. Buffing their stats increases the damage each of these attacks do but there is nothing you can do to encourage them to actually attack more. You factually cannot do this rightly or wrongly. It's entirely down to the AI as any link strikes or L1 commands are direct results of your actions, not the AI choosing to use them. For all intents and purposes, these are Noctis' abilities, not your party's. Ex. Iggy needs to be alive to use Enhancement, but he won't use it until you say so, so it's essentially your skill as Noctis, not Iggy's and he's just a pre-req to using it.

There are no skills that say "Ups Gladio's tendency to attack by 30%" where them standing around choosing to attack or not, or even attacking the wrong enemy for that context, can be influenced by things you do.

Once again, the AI partners are intentionally inept at actually contributing to combat as they'd deny you the work you're meant to be doing as Noctis if they were proficient at dispatching enemies.

Jesus, have you even actually played this game?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

*fist pump* Nier Automata is going to be perfect for keeping me occupied until the FFXV DLC.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Gladiolus is easily the most annoying character in this game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, but considering you've twice tried to dispute it without elaboration of any sort, I'd consider it more likely that you haven't because you're disagreeing with hardcoded limitations and mechanics in the actual game.

If you have a point to make that counters mine, make it?

In other news, people are saying the PS4 Pro 60fps gameplay is utterly abysmal and the dude who does the Eurogamer Digi Foundry stuff is considering doing a video to put it on blast. Framepacing is now even worse and the framerate is wildly variable.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 20, 2017

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
there should be cheevos tied to the limited time events, people really like that

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I killed a lot of Cactuars and Slactuars and to be honest I'm not proud of it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

In other news, people are saying the PS4 Pro 60fps gameplay is utterly abysmal and the dude who does the Eurogamer Digi Foundry stuff is considering doing a video to put it on blast. Framepacing is now even worse and the framerate is wildly variable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfCbomJW4Eg&t=306s

Frame-pacing seems to be unaffected and is just as godawful as it always was in high detail mode. Lite mode gets rid of the frame rate cap and runs at 40-50 fps, which isn't great but I'll still take it over the lovely frame-pacing in high mode. Frame-pacing issues don't always bother me (I can play Bloodborne absolutely fine) but it's really bad in FFXV and now that this patch is out you can't even fix things by switching to lite mode.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

I said come in! posted:

He's not, not right.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They just need to patch in a 30fps cap for Pro Lite mode as soon as realistically possible. It seems obvious they can't or won't fix the frame pacing so it's probably the best option going forward.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

They just need to patch in a 30fps cap for Pro Lite mode as soon as realistically possible. It seems obvious they can't or won't fix the frame pacing so it's probably the best option going forward.
Well, that's what we had until this latest update. I doubt they'll completely revert back to the 30 fps cap, but I can see them adding in a toggle between unlocked and capped frame rate. Frame-pacing was pretty much fine in lite mode, the few issues it had were mainly in cutscenes.

Like John says in the video, they could also try fixing the high detail mode by using the same adaptive v-sync implementation the Xbone version has. FFXV on Xbone has absolutely no frame-pacing issues, despite generally looking and running a bit rougher.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, that's what I mean. Toggle for how it was pre-patch if you prefer that.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

What the gently caress was up with Kenny Crow forcing a drink down Noctis's throat in the carnival?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Maybe if Noctis wasn't wearing a provocative sombrero, strange guys wouldn't be trying to give him a roofie-colada

• Locked thread