Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ratbert90 posted:

Hello! I see you have the great experience with low-level Linux kernel C programming, here is a job that requires 10 years of Microsoft visual C++ experience, is located in the deep south, is a 6-month contract, and no possibility of working remote remote. please kindly get back to me for when we can set up an interview.

this is the sort of recruiter spam that made me aware of King of Prussia, PA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Munkeymon posted:

largest mall in america in terms of leasable space

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

Munkeymon posted:

is there some tech presence there because this, too, is how I learned of King of Prussia

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i know ebay has a significant presence there idk about any other companies

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Glorgnole posted:

it looks like the strategy some departments/divisions use when they already have somebody picked out for a position but HR makes them put out an actual posting, do interviews, etc so they're in compliance with whatever internal hiring process, so they just tailor the requirements to exclude everyone but the person or category they already have in mind. so yeah that's probably it.

this is ok and should be encouraged

if you have a job that's loving perfect for a foreign candidate, let's get that guy a visa, post-haste, and eliminate the bullshit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

isn't driving down wages the entire point of h1bs?

the h-1b program was meant to fill high-skill, high-pay positions with foreigners on dual-intent visas in order to make market conditions a little easier on employers. it more or less works OK if you restrict your view to tech firms, who tend to live up to the program's ideal (e.g. microsoft)

i mean, yeah, it definitely drives down wages, but that was a goal of the program. it wasn't meant to be used the way it is now, to import large numbers of indentured servants who are used to shitcan local workers.

the key features of a good actor in the h-1b space:
  • pay well above the ostensible "minimums" -- typically $100k plus.
    microsoft has no problem paying foreigners $100k!

• high numbers of green card applications.

h-1b is "dual intent," but your employer has to file the actual application.
    microsoft files for vast numbers of green cards, as they should.

• provide real career paths for your foreign staff

again, at microsoft, lots and lots of middle managers started out as h-1bs who converted to permanent residency

the bad actors are, ironically, indian outsourcing firms. tata, infosys, and wipro make up the bulk of h-1b applications but file, collectively, less than ten green cards a year. there are so many loving scams

• pay as little as possible

• charge employees huge fees for mandatory company housing and/or a mandatory company car in the u.s

that $65k doesn't go very far if you immediately hand $20k of it back to your employer, but it allows the outsourcing firms to escape scrutiny on "prevailing wage" definitions

• charge tens of thousands of dollars if an h-1b employee dares to change employers

your visa is still valid if your new employer continues it! but this doesn't matter if you owe infosys $40k USD the minute you change companies

• be a loving body shop

disney and general motors aren't going to pursue a scammy h-1b program that could get back around to the press

it's much easier to contract tcs/wipro/infosys and get them to do the dirty work, then fire all their american staff who were paid twice as much as the h-1bs and L1s who come in

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 20, 2017

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah i've worked for places that used the h1b as intended and shops that abused the hell out of it. the difference is night & day

the republican proposal to raise their minimum wage to 110-120 would be fine since the companies who aren't abusing it are already paying near that or above it already.

the irony is that the companies that would scream about this the loudest would actually be helped by this- since i've seen what their bottom of the barrel practices does to their codebases. forcing them to pay for quality would actually help them in the long run

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

it's not a Republican proposal. Zoe Lofgren of California is behind it, and she's a Democrat

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Maximo Roboto posted:

it's not a Republican proposal. Zoe Lofgren of California is behind it, and she's a Democrat

ted cruz was the first to propose it iirc but yes it has bipartisan support

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

minivanmegafun posted:

is there some tech presence there because this, too, is how I learned of King of Prussia

just lockheed martin

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

more like lockheed fartin'

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah i am an h-1b and that proposal sounds decent :shrug:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

minivanmegafun posted:

one of the big pick n' place manufactures is out there too

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I have an onsite interview with that place that I did the phone interview for :toot:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

carry on then posted:

lockheed fartin'

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
the funding i thought was secure for a position i was going for has been delayed at least three months and it looks like i need to get a job in the meantime

interviewing and job hunting is garbage

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

big scary monsters posted:

:agreed:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
i wish hr people were in general more amenable to figuring out a way to schedule phone interviews for either lunch hours or after business. I'm dead set on leaving my current place but I still want to give them the time they're owed while I'm there

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Phobeste posted:

i wish hr people were in general more amenable to figuring out a way to schedule phone interviews for either lunch hours or after business. I'm dead set on leaving my current place but I still want to give them the time they're owed while I'm there

it's the only good part about interviewing for a job across the country.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

the funding i thought was secure for a position i was going for has been delayed at least three months and it looks like i need to get a job in the meantime

academia sucks :(

keep applying for poo poo like you got rejected, take some temp academia work in the mean time (like teaching idiots or whatev) and pray that the coffinblockers disappear in a mysterious last hurrah before the apocalypse takes us all

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

vodkat posted:

academia sucks :(

keep applying for poo poo like you got rejected, take some temp academia work in the mean time (like teaching idiots or whatev) and pray that the coffinblockers disappear in a mysterious last hurrah before the apocalypse takes us all

i heard one of my old labs is looking for an RA and i'm pretty certain they'd hire me back, though on the other hand there's a good reason i left that place

might see if i can find a temporary computer toucher job. obviously it's pretty upsetting to leave my ivory tower and soil myself with application rather than pure theory, but i think the hiring process is probably faster and the pay is definitely better

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 21, 2017

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

i heard one of my old labs is looking for an RA and i'm pretty certain they'd hire me back, though on the other hand there's a good reason i left that place

might see if i can find a temporary computer toucher job. obviously it's pretty upsetting to leave my ivory tower and soil myself with application rather than pure theory, but i think the hiring process is probably faster and the pay is definitely better

don't leave the monastery of the ivory tower, those slutty tech bro's will corrupt your purity!

but for real, if you think its just for a few months a RA position would probably be better, the difficult bit is getting your foot in the door from postgrad > actually paid academic, after that there is more flexibility but industry back to the ivory tower is a much harder transition to make (and you will be judged your fellows for leaving the purity of the catholic faith). that and the temptations of self esteem and some good figies you're much better off hating yourself for a few months

ofc i'm sure you already know this, but its always worth repeating, the shitest bit is the transition, if you've cared enough to get this far at least give it a good few months to see how things pan out and take the time to evaluate your already terrible life choices

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
yeah you're right of course. and i would actually prefer to stay in academia than industry (i am deeply broken i guess). feel kinda stupid because a friend and former colleague asked me a few weeks back to apply for a 3 year position at the lab he's set up and i didn't cos i felt it was a bit far outside my area and thought this other thing was wrapped up. but i'm meeting him for lunch next week so we'll see

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
what would be ideal just now is a six month project that i don't have to move for, lets me bolster a few skills i want to work on and maybe get a publication at the end

gotta dream big

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

yeah you're right of course. and i would actually prefer to stay in academia than industry (i am deeply broken i guess). feel kinda stupid because a friend and former colleague asked me a few weeks back to apply for a 3 year position at the lab he's set up and i didn't cos i felt it was a bit far outside my area and thought this other thing was wrapped up. but i'm meeting him for lunch next week so we'll see

what would be ideal just now is a six month project that i don't have to move for, lets me bolster a few skills i want to work on and maybe get a publication at the end

gotta dream big

everything sucks and nothing was ok, but its always good to vent anonymously

so welcome to the big/overpriced/worthless/obscure/useless/nobelprizewinning/boring/shellfish/lazy/etc/etc broken brains stockholm syndrome club :cheers:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

vodkat posted:

everything sucks and nothing was ok, but its always good to vent anonymously

so welcome to the big/overpriced/worthless/obscure/useless/nobelprizewinning/boring/shellfish/lazy/etc/etc broken brains stockholm syndrome club :cheers:

don't get me wrong, working in research is the best and having tried both i'd mainly rather do it at a university than a company. but making professor by 30 is starting to look less and less reasonable...

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Going to do some informational interviews next week since wife and I are considering moving regions again--hope I can take most of my figgies with me :ohdear:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Phobeste posted:

they don't want to be the mistress, they want to be the new wife. they want you to show them that you are serious about leaving.

nah, actually they're just lazy.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

but making professor by 30 is starting to look less and less reasonable...

ahahaha

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

don't get me wrong, working in research is the best and having tried both i'd mainly rather do it at a university than a company. but making professor by 30 is starting to look less and less reasonable...

uh I assume you mean assistant prof

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
nah i was kidding. my master's supervisor was legitimately a full prof at 30, but she's also incredibly driven and one of the most frighteningly smart people i've ever met. with that came being super demanding and pretty abrasive, so her students tended to either go on to great things or drop out for mental health reasons. i managed to avoid the latter, but the joke in the department was that i had to make prof by 30 too. she offered me a phd position but i dunno i'd have survived another four years of that sort of intensity so i went elsewhere

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

nah i was kidding. my master's supervisor was legitimately a full prof at 30, but she's also incredibly driven and one of the most frighteningly smart people i've ever met.
She's also from the previous generation where the ratio of competitors:positions was completely different. This is an enormous advantage you shouldn't discount.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
the academia as a pyramid scheme thing rings far too true

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

the academia as a pyramid scheme thing rings far too true

from the BWM thread:

pathetic little tramp posted:

My phone doesn't take the best pictures in low light and I'm not great at taking photos anyway so some of these may be a little grainy before I figured out turning on the flash really helps, but they're readable.

Just wait till we're diamond is the story of Reed, a poor little demon-faced child with a head the size of a watermelon, thinking back on her life till now as she sleeps in a hotel suite on the eve of her parents' diamondising. It hits quite a few little MLM tropes, I think my favourite drawing is the one of her parents having no will to live as they look at all those fukken bills

A

B

C

D

E

F

1A

1B

edit: I liked the circles on a blackboard drawing so I went back and took another photo to do it justice.

1C

1D

then a few weeks later:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximo Roboto posted:

there are currently three things working their way through congress:

• londgren (D) in the house
    this is the biggest bill, and also the best

• issa (R) in the house
    this is a pretty clean subset of the londgren bill and i would have zero problems supporting it

• grassley (R) / durbin (D) in the senate
    pretty similar to the londgren bill. again, very easy to support

there is a broad base of bi-partisan support for h-1b reform, as long as it doesn't imperil microsoft/google/facebook-type use cases for h-1bs. yeah, this means foreign competition for entry level jobs.

i would rather compete with qualified foreigners on an equal basis than try and compete with wipro/infosys/tata paying 1/3rd of the going wage

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Phobeste posted:

Ah yes, make your interviewers miss their lunch or stay late. This will definitely ingratiate you to them.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
got hit up by a recruiter that sent email to every combination of first and last @ current company. this always gives me such a scummy vibe. should I even deal with someone that's too cheap to pay for linkedin recruiting?

oh, best part was this little gesture to get past the spam filter

quote:

The company can pay very competitive salaries (much higher than most similar startups), and is also offering equity which could be highly lu crative.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

lemme check my sources on this...

oh...

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

all recruiters are garbage fyi

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of my friends used to be a recruiter and she was telling me this story about how when she was at a large tech company they moved a manager from sales operations to run recruiting and this new VP decided to set "stretch goals" for the recruiters that were 3x the current number of open reqs. so the recruiters busted their asses, hit the stretch goals and got a bonus but 2/3 of the people they'd "hired" didn't actually have available positions

so yeah if you ever interviewed at a place known for its ball pits and then got an offer 3-9 months after you interviewed now you know why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
kickstarter, but for middle management

• Locked thread