Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Pokemaster #421 posted:

So it's been many a year since I watched an episode of voyager but it's been bothering me for years so I figured I'd ask here. I remember watching an episode where Janeway seems to die or has like an outer body experience or something and she seemingly meets God who is trying to convince her to come to the afterlife. This is an actual episode right? I think I watched it all fever stricken so I'm not sure if it's something I imagined or if it's a real thing. It's real right? I can't for the life of me remember the name or season or anything but I don't think 7 was in it yet. Could be wrong though

It is in fact a two parter, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Timby posted:

This doesn't shock me in the slightest. Fuller was pushed out the door because he's notorious for not wanting to roll cameras until at least all the stories are completed (and ideally at least a majority of the scripts) and was responsible for at least the first release delay, and they replaced him with some of Alex Kurtzman's Bad Robot folks. From the Newsweek interview last year, it sounded like CBS had entered panic mode and was basically saying, "Get something -- anything -- out the door."

Yea she said Fuller left and so did the senior staff so they had to fill it with new people. I really don't know why CBS/Paramount is so hot to get this out so fast. Is there some massive demand for new Star Trek that guarantees tons of money or something?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Pokemaster #421 posted:

So it's been many a year since I watched an episode of voyager but it's been bothering me for years so I figured I'd ask here. I remember watching an episode where Janeway seems to die or has like an outer body experience or something and she seemingly meets God who is trying to convince her to come to the afterlife. This is an actual episode right? I think I watched it all fever stricken so I'm not sure if it's something I imagined or if it's a real thing. It's real right? I can't for the life of me remember the name or season or anything but I don't think 7 was in it yet. Could be wrong though

Sounds like Coda.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Actually, it's just a single parter called "Coda" Spoiler alert: it's kinda dumb.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

twistedmentat posted:

Yea she said Fuller left and so did the senior staff so they had to fill it with new people. I really don't know why CBS/Paramount is so hot to get this out so fast. Is there some massive demand for new Star Trek that guarantees tons of money or something?

I think MikeJF has it right. People are getting paid and nothing is happening. They should have brought on Fuller and some writers and start working on what the show would be, then start ramping up production. Instead they came up with a cool idea to do a Star Trek show, hired people to do lots of cool promotional art and then found out it's harder to plan a season of Star Trek than it is a season of Big Bang Theory.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Sweet thanks for the answers! Not sure if it's a good thing it wasn't a fever dream or not but hey whatevs. I guess now all that's left to do is sit back and see how big of a train wreck discovery turns into. Maybe we'll all be shocked and amazed and it will shatter all expectations and be watchable. That would be pretty nice I think.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

skasion posted:

There were very many actual Romans named Maximus, but the best was the short lived 4th century emperor Flavius Magnus Maximus, or Flavius the Great the Greatest.

Was his hair orange?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

They want to use it to push CBS All Access. Which will fail anyway.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MikeJF posted:

They want to use it to push CBS All Access. Which will fail anyway.

Ugh, hasn't it already failed? I thought it was abandoned. Still, I don't think Star Trek is a hot enough commodity to bring people to sign up to yet another streaming service. If they made like "CSI : All the characters you liked from the earlier seasons of the other show" maybe, or some BBT spin off maybe, but not Star Trek.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh, hasn't it already failed? I thought it was abandoned.

Nope. They've shifted to using Hulu's backend for live streaming, but they're still hoping All Access can survive as a SVOD service. Of course, because Discovery kept getting delayed, they had to move The Good Fight forward by like five months to be the "flagship" show for the service.

twistedmentat posted:

or some BBT spin off maybe

Good news! They're developing a BBT spin-off about Sheldon's childhood in Texas. :suicide:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Timby posted:

Good news! They're developing a BBT spin-off about Sheldon's childhood in Texas. :suicide:

Oh great.

"Y'all fixin to mosey on down to the Jesus convention? I'll rustle up the horses."
"I am a smart, eloquent, yet autistic child and I reject your religion and here is some science words that no child would ever know."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Oh great.

"Y'all fixin to mosey on down to the Jesus convention? I'll rustle up the horses."
"I am a smart, eloquent, yet autistic child and I reject your religion and here is some science words that no child would ever know."

Ugh if they actually acknowledged he was autistic it'd actually be better but the official line from the showrunners is 'he's not autistic he's just weird!'

I guess because 'friends make fun of an untreated autistic man' isn't that catchy a caption on your TV guide.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

We really are in the darkest timeline.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Ugh if they actually acknowledged he was autistic it'd actually be better but the official line from the showrunners is 'he's not autistic he's just weird!'

I guess because 'friends make fun of an untreated autistic man' isn't that catchy a caption on your TV guide.

More like "Guys and girls put up with a tremendous sociopathic rear end in a top hat"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

She also told me the whole production is super rushed, chaotic and just wasteful. They build sets then find out the scene the set was going to be for has been cut so they have to rip it down. They're so desperate to get it out ASAP they were just hiring anyone with any experience in film and tv to come in and do work.

Just sittin' here shaking my head and loling. I have seriously heard zero good news about this production in months, and precious little before that.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Timby posted:

The Time Machine: Utter poo poo.

Haha, of course that was him. I hated that movie so much I returned it to Blockbuster in the middle of the night - I didn't want that piece of poo poo in my house a moment longer.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Wtf is the Borg Queen about. I thought they were all a collective and now she's a character that acts different to your average Borg?!

Even my gf who hates science fi who has to endure me watching this poo poo was like "hang on aren't the Borg a collective?!"

Am almost through Voyager, just started season 7, enjoyed it way way more than DS9.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

willie_dee posted:

Wtf is the Borg Queen about. I thought they were all a collective and now she's a character that acts different to your average Borg?!

Even my gf who hates science fi who has to endure me watching this poo poo was like "hang on aren't the Borg a collective?!"

Am almost through Voyager, just started season 7, enjoyed it way way more than DS9.

The First Contact writers thought audiences needed a villain to have a single face, so the Borg Queen is what they came up with.

Yes, it's stupid.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Sweet thanks for the answers! Not sure if it's a good thing it wasn't a fever dream or not but hey whatevs. I guess now all that's left to do is sit back and see how big of a train wreck discovery turns into. Maybe we'll all be shocked and amazed and it will shatter all expectations and be watchable. That would be pretty nice I think.

If it helps, it feels like a fever dream because Jeri Taylor literally took three different gimmicky script ideas (time loop, out-of-character nightmare, and fake afterlife) and mashed them together in a way that makes no sense.

Jeri Taylor posted:

"It was a combination of several threads of ideas that we had been kicking around. None of them seemed to be working on their own. Then we began cobbling them together, and all of a sudden we had this wonderful, rich mystery."

:pwn:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

willie_dee posted:

As she says in the first minute she's in the movie, there's no disparity between the Borg Queen and the Borg Collective. I think her literal first line is "I Am The Borg".

It's the same you-can't-wrap-your-head-around-it-because-you're-not-us stuff that led to the lady Changeling saying "the drop becomes the ocean, the ocean becomes the drop".

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think the biggest problem with the Borg queen is she's far too... emotional, I guess. She gloats, she flirts, she acts like a person. The Borg were scariest when they were a gestalt. Locutus makes sense as an experiment, something they were trying to achieve a specific goal, but he still behaved like the collective.

Giving the Borg a queen makes them seem insectile. The Borg when we first meet them are an alternative answer to the way society turned out, and there is a serious chance that this complete lack of individuality makes them more fit to survive from a Darwinian perspective. See also Blindsight by Peter Watts.

Edit: Also Borg infection by nanobots is way less horrifying than the elaborate surgery previously required. You stop being you before major changes. The slow surgical alteration has a real body horror element to it. You are alive when they start to eat you.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 20, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

At a later point in Voyager the Queen literally orders the drones around by voice.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Beachcomber posted:

I think the biggest problem with the Borg queen is she's far too... emotional, I guess. She gloats, she flirts, she acts like a person. The Borg were scariest when they were a gestalt. Locutus makes sense as an experiment, something they were trying to achieve a specific goal, but he still behaved like the collective.

Giving the Borg a queen makes them seem insectile. The Borg when we first meet them are an alternative answer to the way society turned out, and there is a serious chance that this complete lack of individuality makes them more fit to survive from a Darwinian perspective. See also Blindsight by Peter Watts.

Edit: Also Borg infection by nanobots is way less horrifying than the elaborate surgery previously required. You stop being you before major changes. The slow surgical alteration has a real body horror element to it. You are alive when they start to eat you.

:agreed: on all of this. I hated the Borg Queen, even in the good Voyager episodes. If they were good, they were despite her, not because of her.

Pakled posted:

The First Contact writers thought audiences needed a villain to have a single face, so the Borg Queen is what they came up with.

Yes, it's stupid.

"What these deliberately unfathomable, inhuman villains need is a human face. That will surely make them more understandable to the plebes."

Fuuuuuuuuuuck

This kind of highlights the tightrope that Trek movies walk, and why we rarely get a genuinely good one: you need writers who "get it," but as the last couple pages discussed, you also don't want writers that are fans in the wrong way. First Contact was an ok movie, but the writers clearly didn't understand a lot of Trek's tone and appeal. Insurrection sucked because it was written by a "fan" and the script couldn't get out of its own way (and a number of other problems). Nemesis managed to be bad in both ways at once (fan wankery, and action movie that breaks Trek tone), which is honestly kind of impressive. Simon Pegg might be as close as we've gotten to threading that needle in recent memory. Beyond wasn't a classic movie, but I thought it was genuinely good, and better than any of the TNG movies.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Beachcomber posted:

Quake 4 is utterly forgettable except for the except for the scene where this happens to you in first person.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Sad King Billy posted:

Who would you like to see compose the music for the show?

I know he is very busy and pretty much flavour of the month but I think Bear McCreary would do a good job. He has written scores for Sci Fi before yet his work is totally different to anything done in Star Trek before.

I love McCreary's music but I don't think his style would fit Star Trek very well.

Unlike a lot of people in the thread I'd be totally be OK with Michael Giacchino doing the series. I think the soundtrack for the JJ Trek movies was some of its best parts.

Others I think would work well:
Ron Jones - His score for Best of Both Worlds was as good as it gets for TV
Brian Tyler - he did a couple episodes of Enterprise that had some rather good scores, has gone on to other success in video games (Assassin's Creed IV) and TV (won an Emmy for Sleepy Hollow's main title)
Trevor Morris
Velton Ray Bunch - Actually won an Emmy for his soundtrack work on Enterprise
Alan Silvestri

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?
I remember when Nemesis came out I barely even heard it was at the theaters and was only at our local theater (I live in a fairly rural area of FL) for a week. I still managed to see it, somehow, and was disappointed that was how they ended the TNG crew's adventures. If I remember correctly I went the Saturday after it came out and there were about six of us in the theater, all 20-30 somethings so I knew it didn't bode well for the box office.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

At a later point in Voyager the Queen literally orders the drones around by voice.

Voyager should have had them blowing up the Queen.

And then the borg is like 'the borg thanks you for freeing us from enslavement, you will be spared' and flies off, never to be seen in voyager again.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

That scene is the only reason I remember playing Quake 4.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
The borg queen concept is stupid. That is established.

That said, if they were going to bungle around with it, they could have a backstory where she was a nanotechnologist centuries ago that programmed nanites to 'improve organic life' and also to 'protect her forever' so once she lost control they cloned her and assimilated her hundreds of time to keep her improved and protected forever~

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

This is not canon.
https://youtu.be/cEo3-BMF9DQ
(Stage 9: Disco Mode)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It would be awesome if the borg queen was a parasite that had gotten into the collective to take it over.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

ENT S2, E5: "A Night in Sickbay"

Against all odds, I kind of liked this one. The setup was dumb, and the Archer/T'Pol stuff is awful, but other stuff made it enjoyable. I like Phlox, and I'm glad he got a chance to shine again. It was also nice to see Archer emote for once, even if it was frustrated rage about a contrived sexual tension between him and T'Pol. That part is increasingly lame, and I hope that it gets dropped after this. My guess is that it won't, but whatever. Most of all, though, I loving love the Kreetassans. What a bunch of goons. They're great. The only race in the Alpha Quadrant that can outdo the Vulcans in douchbaggery. :allears:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Cojawfee posted:

It would be awesome if the borg queen was a parasite that had gotten into the collective to take it over.

It would've been cool, but also kind of fanwanky, if the Borg Queen was some sort of aberration resulting from reintroducing Hugh into the collective. Would've probably made a better story than "Descent", at least. If done right, a Borg civil war would be a sight to behold.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Well Manicured Man posted:

It would've been cool, but also kind of fanwanky, if the Borg Queen was some sort of aberration resulting from reintroducing Hugh into the collective. Would've probably made a better story than "Descent", at least. If done right, a Borg civil war would be a sight to behold.

Literally anything would be better than "We decided to just make an individual to interact with you because humans are super special"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Railing Kill posted:

First Contact was an ok movie, but the writers clearly didn't understand a lot of Trek's tone and appeal.

Those were the same writers who gave us "All Good Things...."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, I always liked that idea since it seemed the entire nature and goals of the borg changed so much since they were introduced. I liked them better when they were 100% just interested in technology but weren't really all that hostile. Sure they placed no value on life, but they weren't hammy villains or out to build a traditional empire. They lived in their cube(s) and flew around collecting and researching better technology as a form of perfection.

Also if the borg are just a collective of a ton of people, unless a majority of them wanted to enslave the universe they'd probably just want to chill. Forceably assimilate people and you've just added that many voices in the collective that think forced assimilation is lovely and bad. There's really no reason for the borg to be so evil and dispassionate and zombie-like, they'd be if anything the most cultured and philosophical of all with such a diverse collection of minds floating around.

Having the borg queen in there forcing her will on the whole collective, either through origional design of the borg, a expirment that went wrong, or some scheme this lady put together to take control of this huge peaceful collective would have been more interesting. Her being eliminated could have turned the borg more peaceful as suddenly it's 1 drone 1 vote in terms of the direction of their society. We almost saw that in voyager when they helped some borg survivors set up a new collective. Could have been really interesting to explore a post-queen borg with tons of drones wanting to be individuals again, others wanting to carry on with their "mission" queen or not, others wanting to become a more peaceful isolationist collective, maybe even some sort of compromise between full individuality and a full collective. Such a potentially interesting race turned into zombies with an evil queen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The end of Voyager should have been them killing the borg queen and then the collective thanks them for freeing them from an individual, stealing some replicators and then loving back off to the delta quadrant.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I like to pretend the Borg Queen is the Borg attempting the Locutus experiment again to give the collective a human face as it where. But to do that you have to pretend Voyager didn't happen.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

willie_dee posted:

Trying not to get assimilated, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Timby posted:

Those were the same writers who gave us "All Good Things...."

Fair enough. I guess it's just frustrating that First contact and Nemesis both turn into cheesy action movies instead of being cheesy sci fi morality plays like they're supposed to be. If I can't blame the writers on their own, then I can blame the producers who almost certainly foisted the dumb, off-tone poo poo on the writers.

"Have Worf shoot a Borg and say an action hero one-liner."
--A Hollywood producer

"Have Patrick Stewart fist fight Tom Hardy at the end of this movie."
--A Hollywood producer