Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

limited posted:

I don't care how pro people are, the only things you need to know for Lawbringer is the impaling charge, and the toss. :colbert: Because they are loving hilarious to do.

Didn't even realize that there was so many openings to shove people though. The tutorial videos really are loving awful about the core mechanics of the classes.

impaling charge is countered by setting stance to left and walking forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

super macho dude posted:

so much salt for this game, yet suckas still be playing :laffo:

poo poo man it's why I love the game honestly. There are so many completely dick move opportunities it's amazing. It's like some kind of weird mix between Chivalry, old Soul Calibur, and Dark Messiah.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

super macho dude posted:

This is exactly like Street Fighter 3 for me, I loving suck at it, but i'm gonna keep playing it to get better for 20 more years

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Evil Canadian posted:

Did up a lawbringer walkthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4gydT4ov_Y

As always, if you already put time into the class prob not gonna teach you anything you don't already know but if you new to it/interested in trying it kinda just walk through everything the class is capable of.

Something I just noticed for the class while watching your video, in that the top heavy attack also drains a lot of stamina. It looks like it almost does as much as a parry.

It would be nice if more of his moves had that property.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Genuinely not understanding how to generate offense as the Nobushi, especially against faster classes like the Peacekeeper.

Seems like if I wait for parry opportunities I can get one light attack out -- which measured against the possible risk of losing 1/3 or more of my health seems disproportionate.

If I try to make opportunities, I generally get sidestepped because my attacks are linear, or easily telegraphed (ie. stepping into sidestep heavies is super easy).

I can't grab because the Nobushi apparently doesn't have arms.

The kick only works on whiff or hit, and can be sidestepped either way.

I can use her secret stance to some effect, but it burns stamina, doesn't lead to big damage, and characters with good gap closers just maul it.

The only successful method I've found is predicting attacks and using her pokes as interrupts, but against classes with armour, that's ineffective, and against quicker classes who burst me down, it's a losing strategy on a long enough timeline.

I don't really see a situation in which she's effective. Good defense shuts her down super hard.

I like playing as her because she seems to make people mad, and also fighting games, but it's so much easier to scrubkill with Warden loops.

Also throw techs are awful and I can't wait until they fix them. gently caress throw techs.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I like this game because it generates more salt than dota.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nasgate posted:

Lets not get crazy now.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I dunno the saltiest I get is spamming Thanks! when someone has a clear opportunity to revive some people as the last person standing but instead runs around like an idiot and dies tired.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh I guess the promo code doesn't work on For Honor? The support site says it doesn't work on "select titles"
gently caress me

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 20, 2017

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I never get salty at my opponents; only my allies.

super macho dude posted:

New thread title

For Honor: so much salt, yet suckas still be playing

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 20, 2017

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers

Goodpart posted:

Genuinely not understanding how to generate offense as the Nobushi, especially against faster classes like the Peacekeeper.

Seems like if I wait for parry opportunities I can get one light attack out -- which measured against the possible risk of losing 1/3 or more of my health seems disproportionate.

If I try to make opportunities, I generally get sidestepped because my attacks are linear, or easily telegraphed (ie. stepping into sidestep heavies is super easy).

I can't grab because the Nobushi apparently doesn't have arms.

The kick only works on whiff or hit, and can be sidestepped either way.

I can use her secret stance to some effect, but it burns stamina, doesn't lead to big damage, and characters with good gap closers just maul it.

The only successful method I've found is predicting attacks and using her pokes as interrupts, but against classes with armour, that's ineffective, and against quicker classes who burst me down, it's a losing strategy on a long enough timeline.

I don't really see a situation in which she's effective. Good defense shuts her down super hard.

I like playing as her because she seems to make people mad, and also fighting games, but it's so much easier to scrubkill with Warden loops.

Also throw techs are awful and I can't wait until they fix them. gently caress throw techs.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Just started this earlier today, playing SP.

Wow I am bad at this. Add me, goons, so I can be bad with friends.

PSN: DocFuzz

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
is there a website that shows the diff. armor / weapon customization combinations? was wondering if something like that had come out yet...

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

How is/what is the single player? And how good is the combat

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Last King posted:

is there a website that shows the diff. armor / weapon customization combinations? was wondering if something like that had come out yet...

You mean appearances? No. We don't even know what all the appearances in the game look like yet, much less some kinda viewer website lol.

If you mean stats, different armor / weapon pieces have different stats so there aren't really "combinations", just finding things that give the stats you prefer and leveling them up to give more and more of it.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Combat is amazing, single player is hot garbage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The single player is basically a call of duty campaign. Its a dumb shooting gallery except this is a fighting game, so its a fighting gallery. The graphics are quite good, and there's some okay levels where you do stuff beyond just killing dudes, but its not really like, anything to write home about. Like a COD campaign. Its a good way to practice vs bots though, and you can play the campaign co-op with a buddy which is good times. The story is dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb. (Just like COD!)

The combat is fantastic in the game, because that's really everything. Its basically a fighting game like mortal kombat or street fighter, only the longest combo in the game is only 4 moves long, so there's not nearly as much to memorize. Its a very back-to-basics kinda affair, and because of the change in feel and camera position and the added stance mechanics, it manages to feel really fresh compared to the way almost every single fighting game plays exactly the same.

Its primarily a multiplayer game though.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
If you never ran the risk of being thrown off ledges, nobody would ever learn to counter guard break

As it stands, pulling one off against a dude and throwing him off the ledge instead is one of the best things in the game

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
All shitters are but grist for the mill. I want to skewer good players.

Fatty and the Warden are better scrubkillers anyway.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The single player has a setpiece with an elephant that's pretty cool. Also on top of an active siege ram is a pretty badass place to have a duel.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Songbearer posted:

If you never ran the risk of being thrown off ledges, nobody would ever learn to counter guard break

As it stands, pulling one off against a dude and throwing him off the ledge instead is one of the best things in the game

I still think it is a more amusing karmatic trade if it is the small shove after a guard break counter which kills your opponent.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

7c Nickel posted:

The single player has a setpiece with an elephant that's pretty cool. Also on top of an active siege ram is a pretty badass place to have a duel.

I learned to hate that loving elephant on realistic. Takes longer than anything else in the level and is right before the hardest boss in the game (for me). And if the boss kills you, you have to do the entire level over again.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
I bought this on accident due to paypal fuckery (wanted to verify how much the currency conversion would be) and it ended up just buying the game. Game was worth it in the end though, I didn't have the time to play the alpha/beta and this game is loving satisfying. Been a while since something caught my attention as much, love the deflect mechanic of the Peacekeeper and orochi so far.

I've also been busy setting up the Metal Gear Rising soundtrack for each class I play during a match.

I am a litteral child.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
For Honor is a great game and I wholly recommend it to everyone.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SpectacularInferiorHornedviper-mobile.mp4

Zagposting fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 20, 2017

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Riftling posted:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SpectacularInferiorHornedviper-mobile.mp4

We need hats with jigglebones!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The best one is when you do the flip move with the lawbringer to throw someone off a cliff behind you

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

On the subject of "honor"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zPF_aroodw

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

7c Nickel posted:

if anyone wants to do the single player campaign on realistic, i'm happy to join in. i still have to finish the vikings and samurai :smith:

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

You mean appearances? No. We don't even know what all the appearances in the game look like yet, much less some kinda viewer website lol.

If you mean stats, different armor / weapon pieces have different stats so there aren't really "combinations", just finding things that give the stats you prefer and leveling them up to give more and more of it.

ah, i just figured someone would've datamined it already.

just used to wow levels of info i guess..

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guys I'm kind of in love with Nobushi. I know Lawbringer is the thread favorite, but there's just something awesome about slowly poking people to death, or poking them then kicking them off a cliff.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nasgate posted:

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lets not get crazy now.

Yeah Dota is way worse when it comes to salt. This is purely because matches in this game are relatively short. In Dota, you get people that are just as salty but you're trapped in a game with them that can easily go over an hour. The Dota community is so toxic that despite liking the game its so hard to actually enjoy playing it.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Riftling posted:

The text-chat really makes this one but unrelated I wish more classes had emotes you could cancel for stuff like that, most just look broken but with the conqueror it's just gold.
Especially if you add the fire-effect from the elite-skin.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

Also on top of an active siege ram is a pretty badass place to have a duel.

Diablo 3 RoS did it first :cheeky:

Last King posted:

ah, i just figured someone would've datamined it already.

just used to wow levels of info i guess..

Yeah takes time for a fanbase to build up the tools and knowledge for stuff like that. Even WoW was the dark ages for the first few years. Then wowhead came along...

Also its more common with super mainstream games like WoW, the more niche a game is, the fewer people are putting resources into stuff like that.

There's some youtube videos showing off purple gear on various classes at least :)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 20, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Feindfeuer posted:

The text-chat really makes this one but unrelated I wish more classes had emotes you could cancel for stuff like that, most just look broken but with the conqueror it's just gold.
Especially if you add the fire-effect from the elite-skin.

Honestly the tackiest skin and I have no idea what the gently caress Ubi was thinking when they decided to add it to the game. It's ridiculous.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Loopoo posted:

Honestly the tackiest skin and I have no idea what the gently caress Ubi was thinking when they decided to add it to the game. It's ridiculous.

All the effects are super tacky but people love that dumb crap so I understand exactly why Ubi put them in. Tons of people dumped a bunch of money into steel on launch so they could get those silly effects.

The only one that actively makes me angry though is the cherry blossoms. I'm not even sure why.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

It feels like they're budget effects. Looking at the Viking ones it's this singular weak looking lightning bolt. It just doesn't have any feel of power behind it that one would hope for a "mythic" skin. They're attempting to go for "badass" and it looks more like "poser"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

All the effects are super tacky but people love that dumb crap so I understand exactly why Ubi put them in. Tons of people dumped a bunch of money into steel on launch so they could get those silly effects.

The only one that actively makes me angry though is the cherry blossoms. I'm not even sure why.

I think the cherry blossom is the only tasteful one. The firey wings are waaaay too over the top.

If they were really rare I wouldn't mind, but of course it exists to push microtransactions. I don't mind that so much, but seeing lots of people with flaming wings everywhere is just super gaudy.

Garrand posted:

It feels like they're budget effects. Looking at the Viking ones it's this singular weak looking lightning bolt. It just doesn't have any feel of power behind it that one would hope for a "mythic" skin. They're attempting to go for "badass" and it looks more like "poser"

There's different effects based on if its idle, emote or execution. The viking one makes lightning snake across your body if you do idle, but if you do execution its just one really big lightning bolt. Although I think the snaking lightning looks super cheap and the one lightning bolt looks okay.

Yeah, they were probably effects that were just made in a hurry to have stuff to sell people at launch for steel. Probably (hopefully) they were busy finishing the main game and didn't have time for tons of accouterments. And that's the kinda stuff that's super easy for them to patch in over time, to sell more steel. (but then things are just gonna get more gaudy)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unironically want to put sephiroth wings on my nodushi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah Dota is way worse when it comes to salt. This is purely because matches in this game are relatively short. In Dota, you get people that are just as salty but you're trapped in a game with them that can easily go over an hour. The Dota community is so toxic that despite liking the game its so hard to actually enjoy playing it.

Id say the salt per minute of gameplay is greater, but yeah dotes players get wayyyyyy saltier.