Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Richter didn't want to drop the belt, so they sent Moolah out there under a mask to take it by force
I just don't get why, if Richter was outraged by getting screwed, she would dramatically pull off Moolah's mask and hit her with worked moves, even if she was being stiff and Moolah wasn't cooperating. And why Moolah would get beat on, then pose, instead of getting the gently caress out of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Go RV! posted:

Ok, so, I've got a bit of a weird question.

I'm looking for matches that have a weird, unique or have a really interesting legit backstories to them. Notable matches for whatever reason, hell, they don't even have to be good matches. Bonus points if there's old Observers or shoot interviews or whatever else talking about them.

Examples of stuff I'm looking for:
Montreal
That One Horrible IC Elimination Chamber Match
Razor Ramon/Mantaur (or some other match that is nearly 100% one guy carrying it)
Hogan/Warrior
Undertaker/Fake Undertaker
The Original TLC match
Mankind/Taker HITC

Jeff Hardy vs Sting [Victory Road 2011]
https://youtu.be/Tp5f_CyaF3o

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Charlie Haas vs Grizzly Redwood

And there's a bunch of youtube videos of weird old matches with cornette commentary like so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsZT3Lo-aKI

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Eddie Kingston vs Tim Donst during Donst's rookie year in Chikara. There used to be a montage of Eddie just stiffing the crap out of him on Quack's orders.

Samoa Joe vs Necro Butcher in IWA-MS. Joe faces Necro after Necro roughs up some of ROH's students. Match is a loving brutality exhibition.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Isn't there also a New Jack match where he whips some 60 year old wrestler with a chain and almost gets arrested? Im aware this could be one of multiple New Jack matches.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Isn't there also a New Jack match where he whips some 60 year old wrestler with a chain and almost gets arrested? Im aware this could be one of multiple New Jack matches.

Seventy. He also shanked a dude in a hardcore match cuz the dude didn't wanna bleed.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Ayup

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Both of the Tanahashi/Shibata matches from 2014 definitely fit the bill. Shibata walked out of NJPW to do MMA when the company was at its nadir, and after Tanahashi spearheaded NJPW's revival, Shibata walked back into the company and regained his place on the card as though he'd never left. That really pissed off Tanahashi, and it especially shows in their G1 match where Tanahashi pretty much works heel against Shibata.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Mickie Knuckles vs. Mike Levy, IWA-MS Queen of the Deathmatch 2008

Self-proclaimed "Internet wrestling sensation" Mike Levy goes up against Mickie at outdoor IWA-MS show in a rather messy, stiff deathmatch. Par for the course really - lots of Mickie Knuckles beating up a guy who's pretty clearly untrained and winning, so far so typical deathmatch. But everything pretty much goes to hell in the post-match when promoters Tank, Devon Moore and ultimately Ian Rotten himself come out and decide to give Levy lessons in "how to sell", for the apparent reason that this guy gave Mickie a "knot" on her head that could ruin her chances on National TV. This was around the time that she had a very short run as Moose in TNA (cut short due to injury). Of course, the question is: If you were actually concerned about such things, why on earth would you book Mickie Knuckles in a deathmatch tournament to begin with?

Anyway...yeah, this certainly fits as one of the scummiest wrestling matches of them all. The whole thing's bad, but the involvement of Ian Rotten's son kinda takes the biscuit...

(Should be noted that this is basically assault so...yeah, kinda NWS)

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 20, 2017

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Koji Kitao vs. Nobuhiko Takada. Koji Kitao is a disgraced Yokozuna with a history of hot-headed bad decisions and acts of rebellion, Takada is an egomaniac that kicks hella hard.

Takada brought Kitao into his own promotion, UWFi, to job after a hard fought battle that would - ideally - give Takada publicity and Kitao legitimacy.

After the publicity was generated for the match and tickets were sold, Kitao threatened to back out unless the finish was changed to Kitao going over. He held out for more money, until Takada's people gave the right number to make the match end in a draw.

A few seconds into round 3, Takada makes one of the most satisying decisions he's ever made.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LvK posted:

Koji Kitao vs. Nobuhiko Takada. Koji Kitao is a disgraced Yokozuna with a history of hot-headed bad decisions and acts of rebellion, Takada is an egomaniac that kicks hella hard.

Takada brought Kitao into his own promotion, UWFi, to job after a hard fought battle that would - ideally - give Takada publicity and Kitao legitimacy.

After the publicity was generated for the match and tickets were sold, Kitao threatened to back out unless the finish was changed to Kitao going over. He held out for more money, until Takada's people gave the right number to make the match end in a draw.

A few seconds into round 3, Takada makes one of the most satisying decisions he's ever made.

Kitao also responded to being talked down to about working light by an indy worker named Preston Steele by chokeslamming him so hard it separated Steele's shoulder. Supposedly for a couple years after the incident, Steele regularly saw signs that said "Steele Fears Kitao" and the like.

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Seventy. He also shanked a dude in a hardcore match cuz the dude didn't wanna bleed.

Is that the mass transit incident or a different one? The latter I mean. The 70 year old was Gyspy Joe.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Kitao also responded to being talked down to about working light by an indy worker named Preston Steele by chokeslamming him so hard it separated Steele's shoulder. Supposedly for a couple years after the incident, Steele regularly saw signs that said "Steele Fears Kitao" and the like.

Is that the mass transit incident or a different one? The latter I mean. The 70 year old was Gyspy Joe.

Different. Mass Transit was an underage kid who hoodwinked Heyman into getting booked.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4nlN0mvXCc

bleacherreport posted:

Before Tenta was battling the likes of Hulk Hogan, he was a sumo wrestler.
Some believe that this is what birthed some of the tension between him and Kitao.
Kitao was also a former sumo wrestler, but held a much loftier position. Tenta competed in sumo for just over a year.
Kitao, on the other hand, rose to the rank of Yokuzuna, the sport's highest rank. Perhaps he saw a scripted loss to a lower-ranked sumo as an insult or perhaps he was just an immature malcontent.
Before this match with Tenta, Kitao had been fired from New Japan Pro Wrestling and expelled from sumo.
Regarding his exit from sumo wrestling, Mike D'Orso of Sportsillustrated.com wrote:
"It was a temper tantrum that did him in. In the tradition-bound world of sumo, where the virtues of honor and harmony are law, there is no room for a man who, in a pique, sidekicks his 88-year-old stable master and shoves the master's wife into a sliding door."
With a track record like this, Kitao's childish antics at Wrestle Dream come as no surprise.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I find the Tazz/Awesome match particularly interesting because how much red tape did there have to be to make that possible? I know ECW was basically dead by then, and WCW was nearing the end, but it's still pretty surreal that it happened during the wrestling climate of the 3 warring promotions.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sticklefifer posted:

I find the Tazz/Awesome match particularly interesting because how much red tape did there have to be to make that possible? I know ECW was basically dead by then, and WCW was nearing the end, but it's still pretty surreal that it happened during the wrestling climate of the 3 warring promotions.

Heyman leveraged some make goods to pull it off

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

He had the goods legally on WCW so it was agreed Awesome would return to drop the belt. He decided it'd be a good idea to have Tazz win it and the WWF was like "sure we'll loan him to you..." and then had him lose to HHH during the week he was ECW champ because Vince is smart and Heyman is dumb. Once the agreement with WCW was signed the WWF end wasn't difficult.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

He had the goods legally on WCW so it was agreed Awesome would return to drop the belt. He decided it'd be a good idea to have Tazz win it and the WWF was like "sure we'll loan him to you..." and then had him lose to HHH during the week he was ECW champ because Vince is smart and Heyman is dumb. Once the agreement with WCW was signed the WWF end wasn't difficult.

Please don't praise nazi fascist boosters

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Kitao's promotion to yokozuna was also a huge embarrassment even before the assault. He was promoted without winning a single yusho in makuuchi, and never won a tournament as yokozuna either.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What does shooting on a wrestler mean?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

It means that one wrestler isn't playing along and is actually fighting for real.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
It can also be used in the context of promos and interviews as something unscripted, off-the-cuff, and genuine.

Essentially "shoot" means anything "real" and "work" means anything scripted or "fake".

There are also "worked shoots" which are scripted events designed to imitate shoots (CM Punk's famous "Pipe Bomb" segment, and many, many Russo segments at the end of WCW's lifespan which were overused to the point of absurdity).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Basically everything you need to know is right here:

https://twitter.com/hulkhogan/status/125437560418865152?lang=en

Much love HH

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The only match on the list of notable behind-the-scenes stories in this discussion that doesn't ring a bell to me is the Intercontinental Elimination Chamber. What's the story with it?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

IIRC the story was supposed to be that Sheamus' pod was stuck and he was trapped in it, only to reaveal that he had done it on purpose to come out later in the match. Then Mark Henrys pod opened early, and they just went with it and that ruined the flow of the match. It was also just a pretty bad match.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's not really a behind-the-scenes drama kind of story. They were considering eliminating the Chamber altogether, because it was expensive to set up and could only fit into arenas without those huge hanging jumbotron / scoreboard things in the middle. But they brought it back for a "Network special", before WWE had committed to their model and it was essentially a house show (see also: Roadblock).

The actual match itself is a disaster because Mark Henry's pod door gets destroyed accidentally (by Ziggler I think?) and he's not much of a "psychology" guy or a "movement" guy, so he was left horribly exposed, dumped into the match way before planned.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

rotinaj posted:

The only match on the list of notable behind-the-scenes stories in this discussion that doesn't ring a bell to me is the Intercontinental Elimination Chamber. What's the story with it?

Rusev was out from an injury and replaced by Mark Henry very last minute. At one point Barrett through Dolph through Henry's pod by accident, well before he was supposed to be in the match, and nobody knew what to do. The entire thing turned into Ring General loving Dolph Ziggler loudly yelling spots at people as they all stood around like deer in headlights, and featured people breaking up pins in an elimination match because they didn't know how else to fill time. There's no real controversy to it, it's just an awkward, unfortunate thing.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

rotinaj posted:

Long story short:

Daniel Bryan got concussed into retirement and had to vacate the IC belt. They set up a Chamber match with a bunch of midcard guys who were varying degrees of heatless.

Rusev got injured and couldn't make the match, so they put Mark Henry in his place.

Match itself is going just fine until Henry's pod door accidentally breaks open before he was supposed to come in. Henry and the ref stand there not sure what to do, but they settle on "welp it's No-DQ" and Henry enters the match early. He proceeds to stumble around messing up the other guys' planned spots and generally looking clueless. (at one point Ziggler yells out "don't move Mark!" before going for a move on Barrett)

When it was time for Sheamus to come out, they planned a spot where he kept himself locked in on purpose, as a sneaky heel tactic to wait until everyone was laid out and come in to pick at the scraps. But apparently, nobody clued in the wrestlers or announcers as to what he's doing, so for all the world it looked like Sheamus was trapped in his pod as a legit botch.

At this point, the the entire match literally stops. Everyone's just huddling in the middle of the ring, with Ziggler calling out spots and talking with the ref as they try to figure out what the gently caress to do. Like, you had 10-15 year veterans just standing around with slack jaws, like it's their second week of wrestling school and they forgot the trainer's instructions. It's brutal.

Eventually they get their poo poo together and the rest of the match went off fine, but the damage had been done, and Ryback's first IC title win went over like the wettest fart.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I think that show also had kallisto's terrible horrible no good very bad chamber spot

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Also, a tiny foam Stonehenge was lowered from the ceiling.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
Having never seen the IC elimination chamber before, it sounds less "bad match" and more "good fever dream."

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Watching it at the time it was painfully bad, but looking at it afterwards its loving hilarious.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
All the referee had to do was tell Mark Henry to go into the empty pod and close it up, under threat of being thrown out of the match.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

sticklefifer posted:

All the referee had to do was tell Mark Henry to go into the empty pod and close it up, under threat of being thrown out of the match.

I know they had to think on their feet but they could have done a double spot where Barrett bull hammer'd him at the same time as Ziggler superkicked him back into the pod where he would proceed to be knocked out for some minutes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Kitao's promotion to yokozuna was also a huge embarrassment even before the assault. He was promoted without winning a single yusho in makuuchi, and never won a tournament as yokozuna either.

I have heard for a long time that sumo corruption is worse than boxing, but know little of sumo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

dont even fink about it posted:

I have heard for a long time that sumo corruption is worse than boxing, but know little of sumo.
Match-fixing in sumo reached a peak in 2011 when there was a huge scandal about it. It's since become the worst thing about sumo fandom; conspiracy theories about match-fixing are sumo's equivalent of the most annoying smarks you can imagine.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Question: Can you think of any major stars (ie: ppv main events, at least a run or two with a world title) that didn't initially get over as a heel? I've got Sting and I guess Steamboat (though even he doesn't really fit my criteria of major star). Anyone else?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Bret Hart would be the modern North Maerican wrestling example that isnmediately comes to mind.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Andre was a monster face more or less all the way up to Wrestlemania 3

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Andre works.

I considered Bret, but the Hart Foundation were always heels were they not? Brets early singles career is one I'm (as a Calgarian) sadly unfamiliar with, did it start as a face run? He was definitely face when he was in Stampede, but would that have been known to the general audience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Rey Mysterio.
And depending how you count 'got over', AJ Styles?