Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hopefully putting the finishing touches on my foil cube. My previous attempts to build it to play with my friends ended up not going to well due to power level issues. I was using alot of the PW and mythic foils from the dual decks and not enough ways to answer them. I really lowered the power level down for every color and every combination (I was originally going to go all peasant but I thought that would be too weak.) With the added flashback things I'm trying to let people try and draft Burning Vengence and Spider Spawning decks because those were always fun to play, but I don't know if my playgroup will be able to catch on to those harder build arounds. The themes in each 2-color pair:

UW = Control-Tempo
UB = Artifacts
BR = Low curve aggro
GR = Ramping, Trampling Fatties
GW = Tokens
WB = Enchantments
WR = +1+1 Counters
UG = Graveyard Shenanigans
UR = Spells/Elementals
GB = Devotion

It has also been a struggle to keep the complexity down inside the cube. I'm the person with the most experience in my playgroup and I only started in 2012. That means I've tried to remove as many different mechanics as possible and stick to easier to understand themes throughout every color (especially flashback...because flashback is great.) Most of the time I think people will draft 2 color but I've tried to make the 3 color cards good enough to want to play them.The last time I played it (about 20% has changed since then) the biggest winners were playing Bant Heroic and RW aggro.

Cube mechanics:
bestow
extort
heroic
convoke
flashback
evoke
affinity
unleash
devotion
constellation
morph
landfall
emerge
monstrosity
living weapon
split cards/fuse cards

Mechanics on only 1 card:
outlast
splice (not possible to use inside the cube)
undying
forecast
buyback

I'm also trying out a new cycle of dual lands for each color, with each being a different type. I'm not sure if it will work because there are power level differences, but if people like it then it stays. If anyone can spot from a glance if any color is more powerful than the others. The biggest issue I could see popping up is the Stoneforge but there is only one really "good" equipment to tutor for her.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/13649

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

My first impression is that the fixing is way too low for any three colour decks, except maybe a one card splash, and none of the three colour options really tempt me into a splash. I'm a fan of mixing and matching dual land cycles, but as far as I can tell you have Nivix, Aerie of the Firemind and Slayer's Stronghold as the UR and UW options, which make mana worse rather than better. I would definitely make sure every colour pair has at least one dual land that fixes mana before adding these spell lands.

Just for reference, in my ~400 card cube I run 4 dual lands per colour pair and only 4 tricolour spells (one of which is Wild Nacatl), so you can see what I'm biased towards.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So I've got the first draft of my 360 cube built and am looking to bring it to FNM. It's not perfect, obviously, but I want to get drafting with it so I have a reason to improve it and also some feedback from the locals.
http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/21450

This is a pretty soft meta, though, with some inexperienced players, so I was considering suggesting that we draft it face-up. Not the packs we're passing around, but your already-chosen cards can be face-up in front of you, if you want. The stakes won't be high. I think the LGS will just charge $5 or something and then hand a few packs out based on wins (I will probably decline any prizes if I win honestly, because otherwise ehhhh).

Does that seem like a good idea or needlessly paternalistic? I just want everyone to have a good time. :ohdear:

edit: Or I guess just suggest that we can look at our drafted cards at any time. No need to keep them face-up for that. At FNM drafts we've always disallowed that, but seems like a good idea for the complexity of cube.

odiv fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 8, 2017

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
Yeah, definitely just allow people to look at their cards while drafting. We allow that at fnm as well just because of how much better it makes the draft.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Decisions in cube draft are usually much harder than in a normal draft, in my experience. We always have allowed looking at previous picks, which is helpful when you're dealing with a complex cube.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
Question for you guys: for an 8 person cube, do you like it being 360 cards or over 360 cards? I have basically a copy of Jim Davis' cube that's 470 cards that I'm considering cutting to 360. I appreciate the variability in what cards you see each draft, but at the same time it's been hard to try drafting something like Storm where you don't know that you'll be able to hit the cards you need to make it work.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I like 390-420 as a balance between variety and consistency if you plan on having a full pod of 8 players more often than not. I usually cube with 4-6 players so cutting down to 360 means I'd still not use the whole cube a lot of the time.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

muon posted:

Question for you guys: for an 8 person cube, do you like it being 360 cards or over 360 cards? I have basically a copy of Jim Davis' cube that's 470 cards that I'm considering cutting to 360. I appreciate the variability in what cards you see each draft, but at the same time it's been hard to try drafting something like Storm where you don't know that you'll be able to hit the cards you need to make it work.

This is sort of the issue with trying to support archetypes like storm in general, IMO. Maybe the real cube wizards like dzyl and finkel can pull a storm deck out of thin air and rack up wins when stuff doesn't get opened in the right order or when he's fighting another drafter for the archetype, but in my experience, mere mortals are going to have a very polarized spectrum of storm decks: there's just not a whole lot of middle ground between great and crap.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Storm is pretty parasitic and basically requires you to build your cube around it if you want it to be consistent. Personally, I'd either cut it for other synergy archetypes that are less parasitic but still have a combo feel to them or just warn drafters that storm is Hard Mode Drafting and won't always come together, so they should have a backup plan handy if things go off the rails.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
My Cube is 600 and I like that every draft ends up different while I can also support a group larger than 8.

Even in MTGO where they insist on pushing storm as an archetype, it's pretty obnoxiously inconsistent, so you feel like your matches are just two guys playing solitaire and seeing who finishes first.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

One thing I tried to do is have storm enablers that support several decks. For example, Seething Song goes well with Empty, but it also goes well with Big Red/Sneak Attack.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

odiv posted:

edit: Or I guess just suggest that we can look at our drafted cards at any time. No need to keep them face-up for that. At FNM drafts we've always disallowed that, but seems like a good idea for the complexity of cube.

At regular REL, you're allowed to look at the cards you've drafted whenever, as long as you aren't looking at the pack you're picking from at the same time.

So you can make a pick, pass the pack, and then look at the cards you've picked, put them down, and pick up the next pack that was passed to you.

Just whatever you do, make sure people know not to train packs.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Entropic posted:

Just whatever you do, make sure people know not to train packs.

This alone makes me wish every draft was called. Holy crap, there's such a difference between drafting with people who know how to draft and people who don't. Both because people are so slow that you can't draft at a reasonable pace without training packs and because they just immediately pick a card and throw the pack at you along with the previous 3 packs.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
So I never thought I would go for this, but recently this is the direction that my magic interests have sort of gone for me. I have alot less time to play then I used to, and my magic playing time might start going to playing with friends once a month or so.

The best way to do this is probably a cube. So I was wondering if somebody could point me in the direction of some good resources to building a cube. I do want to play with power (in proxied form), and I am thinking probably a 450 card cube.

I am leaning towards obviously a strategy for each color pair, and a few tri color cards and some colorless stuff.

Also, what would be a good storage device for a 450 card cube that is not that mox cube thing.

Agentdark fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 20, 2017

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Agentdark posted:

So I never thought I would go for this, but recently this is the direction that my magic interests have sort of gone for me. I have alot less time to play then I used to, and my magic playing time might start going to playing with friends once a month or so.

The best way to do this is probably a cube. So I was wondering if somebody could point me in the direction of some good resources to building a cube. I do want to play with power (in proxied form), and I am thinking probably a 450 card cube.

I am leaning towards obviously a strategy for each color pair, and a few tri color cards and some colorless stuff.

Also, what would be a good storage device for a 450 card cube that is not that mox cube thing.

Having built a cube within the last couple months myself, here's what I found worked really well:

Cubetutor is the real deal. It's fairly easy to use, and the free version gives you all the analytics you need to build and maintain the cube.

It being my first cube, I stuck to only 2-color cards, and just a couple of each. I didn't want to get into 3 or more colors yet because I didn't want to mess around with the balance too much until I tested it. I wouldn't necessarily recommend against using 3-color cards, though, especially if you're free to proxy in whatever you want to even things out. Color fixing will be easier for you, too, so I'd say go for it.

For the storage, I used a KMC 1000 count card box. It's simple, durable, and fairly cheap. I shopped around and all of the cheaper options were a little dicey. I have a 390 card cube with basic lands and tokens, all sleeved, and they all fit just fine. If you're going for a 450 card cube, that would work in this box if you didn't have the stupid amount of tokens I have in there.

This box of 600 matte sleeves works really well for my cube and commander decks. I like the matte backing because they're easier to shuffle, and these are matte on the front side too, to reduce glare. It's kind of a trade-off, though, because the matte front also kind of dulls the art. I don't mind that, but others might disagree. About $50 to sleeve a whole cube in quality sleeves (and have some sleeves leftover) is a good deal. But if you're using proxies, you can probably use cheaper sleeves. I'd just be more worried about ease of shuffling with cheaper ones.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Agentdark posted:

My 450 Card Double Sleeved Cube (KMC Hyper Mattes/Perfect Fits) + 25 of each basic (including Wastes), fits snugly in a 900ct cardboard longbox I got from my LGS for .75.

Railing Kill is right, browse Cube Tutor to start, and use it to build your list. Some of the MTGSalvation stuff in the Cube Forum is real useful too, theres a few guys who have done analytics/statistics for cmc/color and stuff like that.

Good luck sir, Cube is the best format, and once you build it, costs you nothing. There's always 2-3 great stories floating around my playgroup after we cube.

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 26, 2017

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Get yourself a US Army standard issue barbers kit. It holds a 480 card cube + tokens + lands, double sleeved.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
So this might be a little bit of a mess, but I have a cube list together. Is there a good way to post it on here if its on a xcell spreadsheet

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

Agentdark posted:

So this might be a little bit of a mess, but I have a cube list together. Is there a good way to post it on here if its on a xcell spreadsheet

Do it! Maybe Google Drive?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Agentdark posted:

Load it to https://www.cubetutor.com post the link here.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It was looking like we were only going to have 4 for FNM and since we didn't want to draft with 4 and didn't particularly want to buy 6 packs for sealed I suggested sealed with my cube (which I have been optimistically bringing to every FNM I can make it to). They agreed, then a 5th showed up, so we talked the LGS owner into joining in for 6 person cube draft.

Took a bit longer than a regular draft because a lot of the cards are unfamiliar to most people so they need to read every card. I got a bunch of positive feedback, which was great. Got to teach some newish players about mechanics like Fear and Persist and also how Vampire Hexmage can kill a Planeswalker (and yes, you do have to wait until they use it once or foolishly cast another spell).

Anyway, getting to draft it for the first time ever was nice since I've had it built for a couple of months now.

I do have to change some stuff up (eg: more fixing), but I told myself I wasn't going to spend another dime on it until I got some use out of it.

(My deck was trash.)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
My friend is looking for a peasant Tribal cube. Does anyone know of any lists that might fit this?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
CUBE THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEAD!

Cross-post quoting myself...

AlternateNu posted:

Since I haven't had much time to play any constructed, I think its time to make a cube! It is still in the early stages right now, but this is what I was thinking:

360 Modern Cube: Focused on Guild color pairs

Possible Archetypes:
WU: Fliers
UB: Zombie Control
BR: Dragon Mid-Ranged
RG: Weenie Aggro
GW: Enchantress
WB: Life Drain Control
WR: Tokens
UR: Artifact Control
UG: Eldrazi Emerge
GB: Delirium

Before I start making giants lists of cards, I want to get your opinion on the archetypes. Based on the cards available and everyone's general knowledge, do you think any of these are more unreasonably overpowered compared to the others? Obviously, card selection plays a big roll, but just by comparing classic top-ends/wincons, do you guys see any issues?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

mango sentinel posted:

My friend is looking for a peasant Tribal cube. Does anyone know of any lists that might fit this?

Not a full list, but this might help you get started http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/...-beta?comment=5

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
edit: wrong thread >.<

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 29, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

When I played RUG Delver it was always really close against burn but I always ended up winning if we both had reasonable draws. It's one of those match-ups that looks a lot closer than it is. I did have more counters though.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

When I played RUG Delver it was always really close against burn but I always ended up winning if we both had reasonable draws. It's one of those match-ups that looks a lot closer than it is. I did have more counters though.

That's surprising. I'd think most cube decks would beat RUG delver.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

That's surprising. I'd think most cube decks would beat RUG delver.

Well I look dumb now that Tim deleted his post!

Is there anything good for unpowered cube in the last few blocks? No? Just cycling lands? Cool.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Well I look dumb now that Tim deleted his post!

Is there anything good for unpowered cube in the last few blocks? No? Just cycling lands? Cool.

I feel like smuggler's copter is probably fine in cube

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Smuggler's Copter, Walking Ballista, 3 mana Lili, Rishkar, Censor. Harsh Mentor, Winding Constrictor depending. Channeler Initiate?

Edit: Angel of Invention, Chandra Torch of Defiance.

Come to think of it, there's probably a cube message board out there that has a thread for each set's cube potential.

odiv fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 30, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

odiv posted:

Smuggler's Copter, Walking Ballista, 3 mana Lili, Rishkar, Censor. Harsh Mentor, Winding Constrictor depending. Channeler Initiate?

Edit: Angel of Invention, Chandra Torch of Defiance.

Come to think of it, there's probably a cube message board out there that has a thread for each set's cube potential.

And a bunch of random aggro 1/2 drops, tireless tracker, heros downfall split card, emrakul, colorless eldrazi if you run it, baral, release the gremlins depending, new lili maybe, kalitas, new avacyn, catgoat ranger maybe, nahiri, goblin dark dwellers, fleetwheel cruiser, that better sex monkey depending, new thalia, hanweir garrison, copy cat maybe, collective defiance, and more I'm forgetting I'm sure.

Didn't think about amonkhet too hard but I think the set will be surprisingly strong for cube, especially an unpowered one.

Recent sets have sucked for standard but they've been pretty great for cube outside of return to zendikar block--oh yeah that Gideon is insane in cube obviously maybe somebody already mentioned him I forget and am phone posting--and that block has to be one of the worst in modern magic history.

e: also smuggler's copter is insane in my powered cube and I can only imagine it's even better in unpowered. I recently opened an admittedly weak pack and took it p1p1.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 30, 2017

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I've updated my cube! CubeTutor is here: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/31202

Note: This is a LOW-POWER multiplayer cube! It is designed to be played in pods of 4, suited to get beginners and super casuals in to drafting! There's enough in it to draft with 8, but is typically drafted with 4-6 players.

After a lot of back-and-forth with my regulars and some guys at the LGS that drafted, I've "fixed" some of the archetypes.

Blue was previously considered the "weakest" color, but has since been expanded to be a good all-around support color and the UB Mill archetype was said to be too poor in multiplayer after I removed Memseric Orb (we had a player win by just choosing not to do anything once the orb hit the battlefield). It's been buffed to involve a lot of card advantage and generally decent stuff.

Red was also considered to be a junk color, but I've updated it to have the best board wipes and targeted removal. Now that Amonkhet has re-introduced -1/-1 counters to the game, the RB archetype is VERY creature-control-heavy.

The UW archetype was just "Skies" for a while, but that was deemed to be pretty boring and overall just too good. Either you were in UW fliers or were over run by the players that were. I've since updated the UW archetype to flicker, which is as yet untested in play! Hopefully it turns out to be good, as creatures that are good to flicker are generally good on their own too.

Current archetypes are as follows:

WG: Tokens
GR: Landfall/Ramp
RB: -1/-1 & creature control
BU: Mill
UW: Flicker
WB: Lifegain
BG: +1/+1 counters
GU: Card Advantage
UR: Spellslinging
RW: Metalcraft

Everything is balanced in terms of rarity as well. I'd appreciate any feedback!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Balon posted:

I've updated my cube! CubeTutor is here: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/31202

Note: This is a LOW-POWER multiplayer cube! It is designed to be played in pods of 4, suited to get beginners and super casuals in to drafting! There's enough in it to draft with 8, but is typically drafted with 4-6 players.

After a lot of back-and-forth with my regulars and some guys at the LGS that drafted, I've "fixed" some of the archetypes.

Blue was previously considered the "weakest" color, but has since been expanded to be a good all-around support color and the UB Mill archetype was said to be too poor in multiplayer after I removed Memseric Orb (we had a player win by just choosing not to do anything once the orb hit the battlefield). It's been buffed to involve a lot of card advantage and generally decent stuff.

Red was also considered to be a junk color, but I've updated it to have the best board wipes and targeted removal. Now that Amonkhet has re-introduced -1/-1 counters to the game, the RB archetype is VERY creature-control-heavy.

The UW archetype was just "Skies" for a while, but that was deemed to be pretty boring and overall just too good. Either you were in UW fliers or were over run by the players that were. I've since updated the UW archetype to flicker, which is as yet untested in play! Hopefully it turns out to be good, as creatures that are good to flicker are generally good on their own too.

Current archetypes are as follows:

WG: Tokens
GR: Landfall/Ramp
RB: -1/-1 & creature control
BU: Mill
UW: Flicker
WB: Lifegain
BG: +1/+1 counters
GU: Card Advantage
UR: Spellslinging
RW: Metalcraft

Everything is balanced in terms of rarity as well. I'd appreciate any feedback!

Probably a good call to switch from fliers to flicker in UW. Having that around would necessitate a bunch of anti-flier removal in every color, and that can be kind of meh. Flicker is as fun as that is boring, and you have a King Brago in there so that should be fun and good.

I'm still not wild about mill as an archetype, especially in multiplayer. Maybe if it was sort of an opposite to your GU, but instead of card advantage by drawing it's card advantage by forcing discards? That's might be too similar to your GU, though. Stealing and/or copying is pretty fun in UB. I dunno.

While we're on the subject of low-power, multiplayer cubes, I recently updated mine a bunch. I probably made a mistake by not deliberately assigning archetypes. Instead, it's based around table politics and multiplayer stuff from Conspiracy 1 & 2, or any cards with a high degree of player interactivity. I also threaded morph through it, because I and my group like it. Here's a link:

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/69208

I'd appreciate feedback in general, but there's a few things I'm concerned about :

*Is the lack of clear archetypes a problem?

*What are some good options for 1-drops in W and U that fit the theme?

*A lot of the multicolor stuff doesn't fit well, so I'm looking for better options that are more interactive. Less like Skyknight Legionnaire, more like Gwafa Hazid.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Balon posted:

I drafted it. Just saying, you need to get the AI to draft more because I picked up the Skullclamp at something like pick 12, even though I didn't really fit my deck, because gently caress Clamp is too good. I am also not a fan of multiplayer mill archtypes in cube because that is how alot of big multiplayer limited games end up anyway. No need to push that any further than what already happens.

Railing Kill posted:

While we're on the subject of low-power, multiplayer cubes, I recently updated mine a bunch. I probably made a mistake by not deliberately assigning archetypes. Instead, it's based around table politics and multiplayer stuff from Conspiracy 1 & 2, or any cards with a high degree of player interactivity. I also threaded morph through it, because I and my group like it. Here's a link:

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/69208

I'd appreciate feedback in general, but there's a few things I'm concerned about :

*Is the lack of clear archetypes a problem?

*What are some good options for 1-drops in W and U that fit the theme?

*A lot of the multicolor stuff doesn't fit well, so I'm looking for better options that are more interactive. Less like Skyknight Legionnaire, more like Gwafa Hazid.

Tried yours as well. Tried making a Guttersnipe based spells deck but it didn't seem the tools were there.

Interesting W/U one-drops:

Jace's Phantasm
Topplegiest
Soul Sister cards
Soldier of the Pantheon
Hyponotic Siren
Judge's Familiar

I also have been updating my cube with several different cards to try and make better defined two-color archtypes. I feel like I may just cut most of the three color cards because no one in my playgroup has tried to actually making a three color deck in person.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

Tried yours as well. Tried making a Guttersnipe based spells deck but it didn't seem the tools were there.

Interesting W/U one-drops:

Jace's Phantasm
Topplegiest
Soul Sister cards
Soldier of the Pantheon
Hyponotic Siren
Judge's Familiar

I also have been updating my cube with several different cards to try and make better defined two-color archtypes. I feel like I may just cut most of the three color cards because no one in my playgroup has tried to actually making a three color deck in person.

Thanks for the recommendations! I think Guttersnipe was on the chopping block before, but if it wasn't it definitely is now. It doesn't really fit the cube's themes of player interactivity and morph, so he was always kind of a filler card that I had in there because I love it.

I agree with 3 color cards in your cube. I didn't include them in mine because people are usually making 2-color decks. You have to really build the whole cube around them and include a lot more color fixing to make them work right. It's almost like it's own kind of cube. I think someone posted a cube in here posted earlier that included every 2- and 3-color charm and things like that, so the cube was all about improvising solutions from multiple choices. That cube pulled it off, but the whole thing was built around the assumption that you'd be running 3 or even 4 colors to make things work.

I guess that was a long-winded way of saying, "3 colored cards are more trouble than they're worth in most low-power cubes."

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Agreed - without supported fixing stick to 2 color in low powered cubes. It's a lesson I learned in my early revisions.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

I just drafted from your cube. I like how many flashback cards you have in there, because I've had the mechanic work particularly well in other drafts' games. I also ran into the Burning Vengeance, so that was fun.

Balon posted:

I also drafted this. I saw a couple of good mill options early and decided to go after that, coincidentally. It ended up practically mono-U, and I'm not sure if it has the firepower to mill more than one player off the table. I also think I forgot to draft with 4, so... welp.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I want to put some of my commons to use, so I'm looking to build a pauper cube. I've looked up a few lists on Cube Tutor, but does anyone have any fun suggestions? I have literally no specific ideas for it yet besides to include a bunch of the Conspiracy commons I have that do poo poo during drafting, because that's fun. I'm just in a brainstorming phase right now.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

So here's what I'm thinking for a pauper cube, keeping in mind that there are a ton of cool archetypes that don't work/work poorly with only commons:

WG +1/+1 counters
WU Fliers
WR Enchantment synergy
WB Life Gain
GU Artifact synergy
GR Stompy
GB Reanimation
UR Instant/Sorcery synergy
UB Discard
RB Suicide/Aggro

60 cards per color
(15 per archetype - more with overlaps)

30 Lands
(2 per color pair + 10 others)

30 Artifacts
(10 ramp/color fixing + 2 supporting each archetype)

360 cards total (singleton)

A few concerns:

-Do I need or want multicolor cards? I just think that it might be hard to do that meaningfully with only commons.

-Is GU alright for an artifact archetype? UR would normally be what I'd go to for that, but I have a ton of good stuff for Prowess-type Ins/Sor synergy that I kind of want UR for that.

-Will this be enough color-fixing lands and mana ramp via artifacts? Obviously green (and other colors, to a much lesser extent) will have their own ramp built-in, but I want a healtyh amount from artifacts like Cluestones because they both ramp a bit and do color fixing.

-I'm probably going to sprinkle as much draft manipulation stuff from Conspiracy as I can justify within these archetypes, just because I like that stuff. But this is not going to be meant for multiplayer games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Railing Kill posted:

-Do I need or want multicolor cards? I just think that it might be hard to do that meaningfully with only commons.

Hard, certainly, but not impossible. There are some very good multicolor and hybrid commons that you should definitely run.