Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Marching Powder posted:

I get the feeling that the worst decision new management has made thus far is letting Joe Silva walk. 2014 was absolutely ravaged by main events falling apart and yet the year itself was great in no small part because he and Shelby got really loving good at their jobs.

He retired though, right? If he wanted out there's very little they could have done to stop him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Memento posted:

He retired though, right? If he wanted out there's very little they could have done to stop him.

Throw more money at him and keep him as a consultant and have some puppet hold the phone and deal with the idiot child fighters. You literally cannot afford to lose a man with that degree of knowledge to retirement.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

Throw more money at him and keep him as a consultant and have some puppet hold the phone and deal with the idiot child fighters. You literally cannot afford to lose a man with that degree of knowledge to retirement.

no point just relying on him either .. i think the matchmaking is fine anyway

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003
I just watched the Tim Sylvia "Where Are They Now?" segment and the best part was where it shows him emptying what looks like an entire package of bacon into a big cast iron skillet for breakfast with an audio of him saying, "One of the best things about being retired is you can eat as much bacon as you want", then it cuts to him saying about how much having a son has made him less of a selfish person and the anecdote he gives as an example is about how he's willing to give his son the last piece.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Dan Didio posted:

I think the rule changes are all good changes.

I agree, but it would be really cool if they'd enforce them

And as soon as I post that the ref cracks down

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

I.N.R.I posted:

no point just relying on him either .. i think the matchmaking is fine anyway

he's only just left. also by all means don't rely on him, but definitely secure the services of a man who is more knowledgeable on the subject of mma than anyone breathing. especially if you run an mma company. or don't i'm not a businessman and for good reason.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i think silva was gone no matter what, he got a huge payoff with the sale

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Marching Powder posted:

I think dealing with the fighters was one of his best skills though

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

i think silva was gone no matter what, he got a huge payoff with the sale

Whoa he was a part owner? Cool. I can understand if he's now a billionaire or w/e. I was operating on the assumption that he just happened to leave when the management changed.

Dangersim posted:

I think dealing with the fighters was one of his best skills though

Definitely, but semi retirement shouldn't involve 3am calls from Chris avila

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I doubt Joe Silva is a billionaire, but he definitely has 8 zeros of net worth after the sale.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
So he doesn't gently caress is what you are saying.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

So he doesn't gently caress is what you are saying.

Silva has always seemed to be someone who knew what they were doing, i'd expect Dana to go broke investing in something dumb though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Lid posted:

Silva has always seemed to be someone who knew what they were doing, i'd expect Dana to go broke investing in something dumb though.

"These Trump brand fight shorts are truly the biggest and best of the all the fight shorts to ever exist. All the fight shorts. I've looked at all of them and these are big league. The most bigly."

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnYS_xPwoB0&t=1425s

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Black Beast's postfight presser is a pro-click.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Getting through Gonzaga, Nelson and Browne without really getting rocked is pretty impressive. Does Rothwell have a fight? He'd be perfect for Derrick.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I doubt Joe Silva is a billionaire, but he definitely has 8 zeros of net worth after the sale.

Either you think Joe Silva makes within 33% of what Dana White does or you don't know how math works...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Eight figures I could see but not eight zeroes. Getting paid an amount of money equal to ~half a percent of the value of the company you were instrumental in building up from practically nothing seems reasonable.

Having said that probably no one outside him, the Fertittas and Dana knows exactly what it was, and never will. He's got gently caress You money and wants to enjoy life with his young kids. Leave the man to his enjoyable retirement.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Has the Black Beast finally rid the UFC of Travis Browne?

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

threeagainstfour posted:

Has the Black Beast finally rid the UFC of Travis Browne?

If Conor McGregor can not only keep his significant other Artem Lobov in the UFC but get him a main event on a Fight Night card, then one can only imagine the kind of pull Ronda Rousey has.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bumpy Johnson posted:

If Conor McGregor can not only keep his significant other Artem Lobov in the UFC but get him a main event on a Fight Night card, then one can only imagine the kind of pull Ronda Rousey has.

that makes no sense

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I'm glad Lombard lost

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I'm glad Lombard lost

Lombard, Browne, and Esparza all lost

Not a bad night

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bumpy Johnson posted:

There's a pretty significant difference between those two. I'll give you a few minutes on your own, see if you can work it out.

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

Memento posted:

There's a pretty significant difference between those two. I'll give you a few minutes on your own, see if you can work it out.

:thejoke:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I'm glad Lombard lost

I'm sad Hendricks won, but this is helping. A friend had a story of Lombard showing up to a wedding (he was invited, he didn't just arrive) and trying to fight everyone.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

See here folks we have an excellent example of Schrödinger's Idiot, where they pretend to have been joking because they were called on it, but if no one called them on it then they were serious the whole time.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm sad Hendricks won, but this is helping. A friend had a story of Lombard showing up to a wedding (he was invited, he didn't just arrive) and trying to fight everyone.

lol. my favourite hector lombard stories are when josh barnett got fed up of him bullying smaller people in the gym so he pinned him down and beat the poo poo out of him, and when dan henderson said he didn't like gym bullies and had heard things about lombard, so lombard immediately started trying to intimidate him at presser events and then hendo knocked him extremely unconscious

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Triticum Guzzler posted:

lol. my favourite hector lombard stories are when josh barnett got fed up of him bullying smaller people in the gym so he pinned him down and beat the poo poo out of him, and when dan henderson said he didn't like gym bullies and had heard things about lombard, so lombard immediately started trying to intimidate him at presser events and then hendo knocked him extremely unconscious

I met him briefly at one of those 'meet the fighters' things in Melbourne for 193. No one there was fighting in Melbourne, so it was more 'meet some fighters' I can confirm that Soa Paleilei is loving enormous and super nice, and that Hector Lombard has a giant head and bad MMA opinions.
Seriously, his head is absolutely enormous and he's really short. He looks like a bobblehead of himself. I'm still sad the Rory fight didn't happen.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 20, 2017

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
hector lombard is a genetic experiment that combined all of the karate kid villains into one and the world becomes an incrementally better place each time he loses or cries due to steroid hardships

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lombard entering the ufc with an unassailable reputation for being a killer and promptly making GBS threads the bed in his first fight and just generally losing in really cathartic ways is one of life's small but precious gifts.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Can't believe there were people who believed in Travis Browne over The Black Beast in these threads.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My wife and I are watching the fights from today. She would like to know why Bigg Rigg put Vaseline up his nose. Also she said he looked "fat as poo poo" and wondered if his corner were promising him sandwiches if he won.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Meet my smart wife,

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's a shame that Mark Hunt has to literally murder Alistair Overeem and Derrick Lewis has to take three months off before they even think about arranging Hunt/Lewis for Fight Night: Dubbo, but hell, I'm excited for it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Memento posted:

My wife and I are watching the fights from today. She would like to know why Bigg Rigg put Vaseline up his nose. Also she said he looked "fat as poo poo" and wondered if his corner were promising him sandwiches if he won.

Bigg Rigg putting vaseline on holes where it's not suppose to be... wonder if that's got an underlying meaning.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dan Didio posted:

It's a shame that Mark Hunt has to literally murder Alistair Overeem and Derrick Lewis has to take three months off before they even think about arranging Hunt/Lewis for Fight Night: Dubbo, but hell, I'm excited for it.

I'd road trip for it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Memento posted:

Also she said he looked "fat as poo poo" and wondered if his corner were promising him sandwiches if he won.

you got a good wife

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

Your wife is pretty rad. Not as rad that goon's mum, but pretty rad.

If any of you don't remember that series of posts, some goon's mum watched fights with him, and described Shogun as a 'potato man' and Dan Henderson as 'well punchy'

Also, when she watched Nelson/Werdum, she yelled out 'careful, he might not be hurt' which officially makes her a better MMA tactician than Fedor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lewis at the post fight: "poo poo, I appreciate Yamasaki letting it go a while longer. I'll give him a thousand dollars because I wanted to give Travis Browne a beating" (for beating women)

oh and he also went into specifics about needing to take a poo poo between rounds and letting out a carefully measured fart to just get comfortable.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 20, 2017

• Locked thread