Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

quote:

Sena this and Sena that

Does anyone have one of the C models, with the camera that straps to the side of your jaw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

When was the last time you rode with more than 8 people?

More importantly, why the gently caress would you want to ride with more than 8 other people babbling in your ear?

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Why even bother with an intercom system? group rides work best with a corner marking system I find, ride your own ride just follow the corner markers.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

captainOrbital posted:

Does anyone have one of the C models, with the camera that straps to the side of your jaw?

Yeah.

It works fine, usual Sena stuff. Camera is easy to use, annoying to setup in the correct spot though because there's no screen on it so you have to guess, take a picture, check it on your phone/PC, then try again.

I never use the camera on it any more, and haven't really used it much at all. It doesn't look horrible, but it's not amazing either. Just get a normal Sena and if you want a camera get a proper one like a GoPro or something.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

captainOrbital posted:

I've got a 10c, camera is reasonable. Battery life is the worst bit, I have to run an external power supply to it to make it last more than an hour or two of recording.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The big up to the new system is going to be not losing your friends if they go finicky due to the mesh connection rather than round-robin setup.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Yeah, even with only 3 people on 20s we run into that a bit. If the one that has the connection to the other two breaks connection the other two need to manually initiate a new connection. Since it's sena it's really fast and easy, but you still have to do it.

I'll go for a sena 30k when my 20s dies. It's nice to have a upgrade path through. With tomtom gps the new rider 40/410 is a downgrade in functionality compared to my rider v5. It's lacking proper multi point route planning and editing on the gps which I use almost every weekend trip. On the 40/410 you have to use an app or webpage and then push it over to the gps, so nothing you quickly do in 30sec stopped at the roadside.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Regarding body position etc., am I recalling correctly someone (I think z3n?) saying that you bias weight to the outside peg because that minimises the likelihood of sliding the rear due to the force acting in a direction which pushes the contact patch onto the road more than if you bias weight to the inside?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah, that's correct - playing around with it on a small dirt bike is the best way to learn that sort of balance / skill.

Supradog posted:

Yeah, even with only 3 people on 20s we run into that a bit. If the one that has the connection to the other two breaks connection the other two need to manually initiate a new connection. Since it's sena it's really fast and easy, but you still have to do it.

I'll go for a sena 30k when my 20s dies. It's nice to have a upgrade path through. With tomtom gps the new rider 40/410 is a downgrade in functionality compared to my rider v5. It's lacking proper multi point route planning and editing on the gps which I use almost every weekend trip. On the 40/410 you have to use an app or webpage and then push it over to the gps, so nothing you quickly do in 30sec stopped at the roadside.

If you use the group intercom functionality through the SENA app, it does reconnects pretty nicely. Set up the list of folks you're riding with, hold the button on the bottom for ~2 seconds, light flashes green and it'll usually auto connect everyone.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Sorry if this continues the counter-steering conversation, but sometime coming out of turns I feel like I have to push on the inside bar and the front is heavy as I try to stand the bike up. Am I not getting on the gas enough, or what am I doing wrong?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Z3n posted:

If you use the group intercom functionality through the SENA app, it does reconnects pretty nicely. Set up the list of folks you're riding with, hold the button on the bottom for ~2 seconds, light flashes green and it'll usually auto connect everyone.

Aha, thanks! I've never bothered to mess with that since we're only 3 people max. I'll set that up when we go riding again this spring.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dutymode posted:

Sorry if this continues the counter-steering conversation, but sometime coming out of turns I feel like I have to push on the inside bar and the front is heavy as I try to stand the bike up. Am I not getting on the gas enough, or what am I doing wrong?

If you're pushing on the inside bar you're forcing the bike to lean more, not less, and the heavyness you feel is you fighting yourself.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Dutymode posted:

pushing on the inside bar should make the bike lean even more into the turn, unless you're at parking lot speeds. what kind of turn are you talking about here

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pull on the inside bar or push on the outside. That will stand the bike up in a corner

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Another girly's husqvarna related question:

I've resolved the starting issue by replacing the battery leads and hooking up the manual decomp. I took it for a test ride and discovered it has a pretty annoying surge if you're holding a steady part throttle. It makes the bike basically impossible to ride slowly on dirt or at 50km/h on the road. It just bucks back and forth as if you're getting on and off the gas.

Am i right in thinking this is because of a lean condition in the pilot circuit? Additional info: the bike is a 250 sleeved up to a 300, the jetting seems to match the capacity bump but info is impossible to find on this model so I can't know for sure. I also have the pilot set to 1 turn out and the choke just kills the engine any time you use it regardless of whether the bike is hot or cold. The carb is an ordinary looking mikuni mx flat slide.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Coydog posted:

Should I buy a Sena 20s today on the cycle gear sale, or wait for the 30s later this year that supports 16 instead of 8? It seems like I'll get this 20s, and then be limited again when the new tech comes out.

I picked this up, and am going to try it out on a group ride tomorrow. Not very impressed with it, so far, so I'll probably end up taking it back.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

What exactly is your issue with it? Most frustrations are due to not being familiar with how it's used.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
I'm a complete noob looking for advice on a first bike, and the OP's links are all inactive.

Where can i find good advice on this topic specifically.

Also, is it reasonable to expect to be able to use a bike as a daily form of transport, 365 days a year, assuming British weather (ie, consistently moist, occasionally snowy)? Are there conditions in which you would never ride, even with maximum caution?

Also, links to any 'fundamental mechanics of good, safe riding' reading

TheMaskedUgly fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 19, 2017

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Probably the best bet for cold weather riding and ease of first time maintenance would be a 2007+ Aprilia SXV 550.

Here's the best training video for just starting out as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aVASp9raMk

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

But seriously I owe a good amount of early understanding and staying alive by reading David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" and "More Proficient Motorcycling" when I taught myself to ride a ninja 250 in LA traffic.

https://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding/dp/1889540536/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487522521&sr=8-2

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

TheMaskedUgly posted:

I'm a complete noob looking for advice on a first bike, and the OP's links are all inactive.

Also, is it reasonable to expect to be able to use a bike as a daily form of transport, 365 days a year, assuming British weather (ie, consistently moist, occasionally snowy)? Are there conditions in which you would never ride, even with maximum caution?

CBT 125 or doing your A2/DAS? Where are you in the UK how far do you have to go, where are you commuting through (Mostly in the city, motorway?).

If you're going for your CBT any cheap second hand name brand geared bike will do. A2/DAS and you can get things like the Honda cb500 line, the 250/300 ninjas for a decent price which are learner friendly. Though with most decent bike schools over here teaching good riding skills anything under 600cc (sv650 is pretty good though from what i hear) will do you fine.

Obligatory "Buy a Supermoto and never look back."

E: Also this guys videos are really good for tips and stuff, he's a northern riding instructor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMzpM9d9yjw

Keket fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 19, 2017

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

GriszledMelkaba posted:

But seriously I owe a good amount of early understanding and staying alive by reading David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" and "More Proficient Motorcycling" when I taught myself to ride a ninja 250 in LA traffic.

https://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding/dp/1889540536/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487522521&sr=8-2

I'm a big proponent of these books. As a novice rider, I found them tremendously helpful. They give you a great perspective on risk while also giving good riding advice that's digestable for a newbie.

As far as which bike, there are a lot of options. Goons will give you great advice. I'll throw out a ninja/CBR 250/300. Otherwise go with God's choice of motorcycle and get a Sumo.

You should get a Sumo.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

What's the best way to afford all the motorcycles I want?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I'm open to "Gone in Sixty Seconds" style plots.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

The Bananana posted:

Learn to not want them.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Learn to not want them.

This, test ride them and be disappointed, or discover they're a POS to actually own.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

The Bananana posted:

Lower your wants.

e: it looks like the newbies are starting to show up for the 2017 riding season. I'm gonna finish the newbie m-m-m-megapost I've been working on for months and post a new thread today.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I was pricing up and comparing some of the new newbie-ish bikes today.

Other than the other CBs and the 250s, any other new bikes anyone can think of?

MPGs are from Fuelly.

alr
May 14, 2009

Keket posted:

MPGs are from Fuelly.

Yamaha R3 / MT03. MT03 is built off of the R3 chassis, it isn't the old 600-something thumper. KTM Duke 390, Kawasaki Ninja 300 / Z300, that new BMW 310cc is out now I think? Depending on your region (and it isn't a new design) but the Honda CB400 is an option, too. And I know you added the newbie "ish" bit but having only been riding a year and a half I'm glad I wasn't a newbie on something like an MT-07 or SV650. Depends on circumstances though, I'd never ridden dirt or whatever beforehand and my R3 was (still is) plenty, especially with the speed limits around Victoria.

It's actually really cool how much variety there is in this market now! Buddy of mine got his Ninja 250 in 2009, I don't recall there being anything else except the Hyosung stuff for smaller street bikes back then

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Drz400sm, wr250x, TW200 and the Ninja 500r could all have a place on the list.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

alr posted:

And I know you added the newbie "ish" bit but having only been riding a year and a half I'm glad I wasn't a newbie on something like an MT-07 or SV650.

Ah yeah, the ish as in 'first big bike after passing big bike test'. UK/EU means we have to pass some actual training before getting a bike! :cheeky:

I'm glad we're seeing a trend towards less liter bikes too, I don't think the BMW is out yet though, aren't we also getting a 300 versys or something like that too?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

High Protein posted:

This, test ride them and be disappointed, or discover they're a POS to actually own.
I've worked at a bike shop for 6 years now and I can confirm this is true. Most bikes are not that great.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TheMaskedUgly posted:

Something like a quarter of a million people are year-round bike commuters in the UK so yeah, it's fine. Personally I wouldn't ride in settling snow - not that I worry about my own abilities there but the risk from every other fuckwit goes up exponentially.

So, normal questions - how long is your commute, over what kind of roads? A bike that will do you great for a 50-mile blat from Fife into Livingston will not perform brilliantly if you're going from Croydon to Soho. Also how much money are you willing to spend, and will you want to ride at the weekend?

Also I personally don't think you can learn good riding from a book. Luckily though we actually have a functional training and licensing system in the UK so you should have most of the very worst habits out of your system before you get on the road, and then you can do Bike-Safe and similar courses (until eventually you end up with the IAM and then there's no helping you).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Keket posted:

MPGs are from Fuelly.

RC 390 really doesn't belong in that list, IMO.

There's loads of 300/400s coming out over the next two years with the new emissions regs, and almost every other bike being made will be changing engine specs in that timeframe, so the list will probably be redundant pretty soon. Actually one column already is - ABS has been mandatory on all new bikes since the beginning of last year.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Shimrod posted:

What exactly is your issue with it? Most frustrations are due to not being familiar with how it's used.

I'm deffo taking it back. If it were a $75 unit, I'd keep it, but it just doesn't do anything worthwhile for me. Kind of a pain to get comms going, everyone has a different version. Comms aren't really even that fantastic anyway, and I found the feature I used most was the one to stop the music and hear outside. I can do that by hitting pause. Speakers don't fit or work in my helmet, so they had to go.

It just cluttered the experience, and I'd rather have the $270 to spend on a replacement OEM gas cap/assembly.

This would actually do what I need, which is cut the music if someone asks me a question at a light, and make volume control easy.
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Al...h+music+control

Coydog fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 20, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I've worked at a bike shop for 6 years now and I can confirm this is true. Most bikes are not that great.

Most bieks are perfectly good if you're a mediocre rider with no intent to improve but almost every bike I ride now has some lovely aspect to it's handling or engine that makes me never want one.

That and a lot of the new ones look like absolute trash when you get close enough to see the endless lovely black plastic, ugly fasteners, ugly dogballs catalytic converter dangling out the bottom et al. Used to be you could get a basic bike with not a lot of features but a shitload of well designed, quality parts and details. Now nobody makes an effort to make the functioning parts aesthetically pleasing because marketing lets them cover everything in black plastic triangles anyway.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
Guys, I have vague questions.

I was looking into cheap mods that might make the crf250l a little bit less of a pig. Cheap means exhaust pipes/headers are out of the question. The first mod that folks keep suggesting is to install the ECU from a CBR250R. I quote:

"Go search ebay for a bargain used CBR250R ECU. The CBR250R apec is 26hp@8,500rpm 23.8N-m@7,000rpm."

Apparently something about how the crf is detuned comparatively. I'm not pretending to know what any of that means except less explodey. The OTHER mod is to get an EJK controller and open up the air box. Again, something something air/fuel more boom boom. Can someone tell me in general terms what these are likely to do?

carcinofuck fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 20, 2017

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

goddamnedtwisto posted:

RC 390 really doesn't belong in that list, IMO.

There's loads of 300/400s coming out over the next two years with the new emissions regs, and almost every other bike being made will be changing engine specs in that timeframe, so the list will probably be redundant pretty soon. Actually one column already is - ABS has been mandatory on all new bikes since the beginning of last year.

Ah yeah, it's more of a personal 'hope I can test ride all of these' list, RC looks so drat good but IDK if it's worth it with the power output it has.

What're the new emission regs?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The list will still be relevant for years to come due to the used market though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Keket posted:

What're the new emission regs?

Euro 4. It's about a lot more than just emissions, this article gives a good rundown.