Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Orange Sunshine posted:

This is not necessarily a flaw. Games don't have to have multiple endings. There are all sorts of interactive stories that can be told where having only one ending makes sense.

We're not talking about games in general, but specifically the Bioshock franchise. Having player actions determine outcome was a big part of the earlier games, and they pissed it away on a single lobotomized paradoxical ending for Infinite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CaptainSarcastic posted:

We're not talking about games in general, but specifically the Bioshock franchise. Having player actions determine outcome was a big part of the earlier games, and they pissed it away on a single lobotomized paradoxical ending for Infinite.

This is going to rock your world, but Bioshock Infinite is a separate game from the other two and can set its own rules, including whether or not I get to choose if I want to murder 8 year-old girls.

E: like seriously, that was IMO the dumbest part of the first game. Am I Jesus? Or am I Skeletor?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Whatever you want to call them though, in my video game opinion there are none worth playing after mystic quest. Also mystic quest is underrated and I'd say even better than 3.

you will get no argument from me! FF Mystic Quest is the best Final Fantasy. mostly because it has absolutely zero story, but also because or the cool map puzzles, and the best soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qkBT_6klKs

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
FFX is the best Final Fantasy. Cooler swords, better story, and WAY better characters compared to FF7.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

FFX was pretty good yeah but the last game in the FF series was 9, after that it was just some other series wearing a hollow FF fleshmask

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everything stemming from the final fantasy universe is dumb poo poo for gay nerds

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Ah yes, the tough ethical decision of "should I kill these little girls for no reason or take the option for people who are not Hitler which is mechanically and morally better in every way". Such a deep franchise, wow. Makes u think

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

My unpopular opinion is that the first Bioshock sucked dogshit in every area except visuals even when it came out, and one of the best things to come from the series other than Infinite is the Big Daddy character in the lovely Sony Playstation Super Smash Bros. knockoff since Bioshock didn't even release on the PS3 until over a year after the PC/360 version. Sony is so low on mascots they brought in characters from third party games known for being on other systems.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

Ah yes, the tough ethical decision of "should I kill these little girls for no reason or take the option for people who are not Hitler which is mechanically and morally better in every way". Such a deep franchise, wow. Makes u think

Oh, fer gently caress's sake, I think presenting hyperbolic strawman moralizing about how the game handles hypodermic-wielding zombie children with superpowered cyborg sidekicks is really getting into derail territory. Pretty sure you have expressed an unpopular videogame opinion by doing it, though, so I will give you that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Oh, fer gently caress's sake, I think presenting hyperbolic strawman moralizing about how the game handles hypodermic-wielding zombie children with superpowered cyborg sidekicks is really getting into derail territory. Pretty sure you have expressed an unpopular videogame opinion by doing it, though, so I will give you that.

How is it a hyperbolic argument? The children are of literally no threat to you when you have the option of how to deal with them, you either slaughter them for mild rewards or save them for objectively better rewards up to and including a better ending. The choice is completely illusory, which they could have played with in fun ways with the Andrew Ryan reveal, but they didn't.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

How is it a hyperbolic argument? The children are of literally no threat to you when you have the option of how to deal with them, you either slaughter them for mild rewards or save them for objectively better rewards up to and including a better ending. The choice is completely illusory, which they could have played with in fun ways with the Andrew Ryan reveal, but they didn't.

I'm not even sure how to respond to this - it sounds like a zen koan. Kill the buddha, I guess?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I liked the gene thing that lets you cloak if you hold still. Everything else about Bioshock was just kinda mediocre. I don't regret playing it but I've never replayed it and I've never played any of the sequels. Burgerface guy is right about the sister murder being pretty dumb since there's a clear optimal choice. And even if it's not clear right away it doesn't take a genius to decide that it's probably best not to suck the soul out of small girls.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Prorat posted:

FFX is the best Final Fantasy.

Agreed.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
32mb of ESRAM is actually extremely good

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
Bioshock 2 was the best Bioshock game.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Bioshock 2 was the best Bioshock game.

Well, it was better than Infinite, which was trash in every way except art style.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Bioshock infinite is actually a good game. It's Bioshock with better environment design, dimension hopping, and making GBS threads on conservatism, xenophobia, and nostalgia for the past. Plenty to enjoy there. Bioshock 2 is loving awful. It's just bioshock, except Rapture is even more broken I guess? an excuse to reuse all of the assets, and the plot was essentially a dumb and angry response to Ken Levine's pretty ruthless takedown of objectivism and libertarianism.

Basically a copy paste of the first game but with an overarching theme of "WHAT ABOUT COMMUNISM???"

Garbage game i'm glad I never paid for it.

Infinite wasn't the best game ever but I sincerely enjoyed it and there's no reason it takes the amount of poo poo it has been subject to.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

All the bioshock games were trash

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
System Shock aged very poorly

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

basic hitler posted:

Bioshock infinite is actually a good game. It's Bioshock with better environment design, dimension hopping, and making GBS threads on conservatism, xenophobia, and nostalgia for the past. Plenty to enjoy there. Bioshock 2 is loving awful. It's just bioshock, except Rapture is even more broken I guess? an excuse to reuse all of the assets, and the plot was essentially a dumb and angry response to Ken Levine's pretty ruthless takedown of objectivism and libertarianism.

Basically a copy paste of the first game but with an overarching theme of "WHAT ABOUT COMMUNISM???"

Infinite wasn't the best game ever but I sincerely enjoyed it and there's no reason it takes the amount of poo poo it has been subject to.

The story starts out as a criticism against conservatism xenophobia, etc. (although it's heavy handed, didactic and poorly written), but after a couple of hours it forgets all that stuff and becomes a mishmash of cobbled together sci-fi tropes. It loses any sort of thematic coherence and just becomes a bad episode of Star Trek.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Final Fantasy 12 is the best PS2-era Final Fantasy game. The gambit system, the combat, the music.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Lost Odyssey is the best FF game since FFX.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I completely understand and agree with Konami's decision to cut off Hideo Kojima's Infinite Money Stream and think Sony will be stupid to hell to employ him unless he has a boss directly overhead telling him "No."

E-SPORTS could actually be interesting and would not be the dumbest competitive thing (that would be poker), but will be hamstrung as long the majority of competitors and commentators are huge manchildren.

Doom 2016 wasn't as good as people claim it is.

Oh, and literally every open-world action game, from GTA to Assassin's Creed to MGSV, would be improved by not being open-world and being structured more like Dishonored.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 20, 2017

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

The Dennis System posted:

The story starts out as a criticism against conservatism xenophobia, etc. (although it's heavy handed, didactic and poorly written), but after a couple of hours it forgets all that stuff and becomes a mishmash of cobbled together sci-fi tropes. It loses any sort of thematic coherence and just becomes a bad episode of Star Trek.

So it's all of the Star Trek movies.

unexplodable
Aug 13, 2003
Mario Sunshine is the best 3d mario

All the Bioshock games loving suck

For arena FPS DM, UT>Quake

Might not actually be unpopular, but Witcher 3 is the best video game ever made, console or PC. It is a nearly perfectly executed masterpiece. Its combat is very fun too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Final Fantasy is a bad and dumb franchise coasting on the nostalgia of mentally stunted console dimwits.

E-sports are a toxic circlejerk that have ruined many otherwise promising games.

Bioshock Infinite managed to handle parallel universes even worse than your average Star Trek plot, which is really saying a lot.

I'm waiting for DOOM 2016 to go on sale again so have to reserve judgement on that one.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

basic hitler posted:

Here's a breakdown of Bioshock Infinite's nonsensical & poorly planned timeline of events. It's :laffo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNhwb7iuI4&t=892s

Pretty much undermines the entire concept of the game imo

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm waiting for DOOM 2016 to go on sale again so have to reserve judgement on that one.

DOOM is dumb as hell and way over the top but it knows and embraces it with ridiculous glory kills and a (fantastic) buttrock soundtrack. I happen to really enjoy the hell out of it but it's easy to see why people might not.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Racist soccer player, titty witch, utterly silent cat and annoying mechanic are all totally flat uncharacterized placeholdets, but Yuna/Tidus/Auron/Jecht are themselves so interesting and Jecht//Sin is so cool that I come away also thinking "FFX has great characters!" even though you know more about Seymour than you learn about Lulu.

I think this is why FFXII cut the cast down, but I played that game for like 6-7 hours and seriously just glazed over every detail.

I think any fantasy/sci-fi RPG should have a hard limit on no more than 2 human cast members. Like oh cool we live in a fantasy space station but for some reason the secret to saving the universe rests in the hands of 4 homogenous humans and maybe 1-2 non-human dudes.

Mass Effect 2 is basically the best about this, if anyone has other suggestions about good RPG post em

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Rutibex posted:

:ssh:
Final Fantasy 4 is the one they turned into 2

wait are you serious? All these years I thought they skipped 3 final fantasies for no reason

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Homestar Runner posted:

Here's a breakdown of Bioshock Infinite's nonsensical & poorly planned timeline of events. It's :laffo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNhwb7iuI4&t=892s

Pretty much undermines the entire concept of the game imo

His criticisms were silly.

He was saying, "No way, time travel and parallel universes don't work like that! Here's how they really work!"

It's like watching Lost and claiming they got time travel all wrong because Back to the Future is the only proper way to do time travel. But obviously time travel works however you decide it works, as long as there's some sort of internal consistency to it. In fact, every movie and tv episode and video game and any other work of fiction dealing with time travel have their own rules as to how it works, they're all different. It's like arguing that Geordi can't reroute the warp plasma through the deflector dish to produce an inverse tachyon beam or whatever the gently caress he's claiming he's doing. It's all made up, it works however they decide it works.

He didn't like Bioshock Infinite because he decided that parallel universes don't work the way the game says they work. This is idiotic and he should stop thinking about things as he's bad at it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Burnout 3: Takedown is probably the worst in the series, maybe only second to the original. The field of view is terrible, you can't change your camera from chase view to bumper view so you can actually see what the gently caress is in front of you, and there's this disgusting motion blur that makes it impossible to see barriers, traffic, or opponents.

Another great feature is the forced slowdown mode that kicks in every time you take down an opponent. You better hope you anticipated your racing line like 30 seconds in advance because the game removes all control from you and keeps time running, meaning that if you didn't find the straightest line in the whole track, you're going to crash and lose the race because the game feels like its lovely PS2-era graphical effects are more important than actually being able to control your car during grand prix races. Anybody who likes Burnout 3 needs to have acid poured into their skull.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Orange Sunshine posted:

His criticisms were silly.

He was saying, "No way, time travel and parallel universes don't work like that! Here's how they really work!"

It's like watching Lost and claiming they got time travel all wrong because Back to the Future is the only proper way to do time travel. But obviously time travel works however you decide it works, as long as there's some sort of internal consistency to it. In fact, every movie and tv episode and video game and any other work of fiction dealing with time travel have their own rules as to how it works, they're all different. It's like arguing that Geordi can't reroute the warp plasma through the deflector dish to produce an inverse tachyon beam or whatever the gently caress he's claiming he's doing. It's all made up, it works however they decide it works.

He didn't like Bioshock Infinite because he decided that parallel universes don't work the way the game says they work. This is idiotic and he should stop thinking about things as he's bad at it.

And yet with all the terminators Skynet sent back we still have this freaking Bioshock derail. Bioshock is crap. End of story.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Orange Sunshine posted:

But obviously time travel works however you decide it works, as long as there's some sort of internal consistency to it.

...That's the entire point of his critique, though; there isn't any internal consistency to time travel in Bioshock Infinite.

Seems completely fair to me :shrug:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Bioshock is fine, but do you know what isn't? Any Zelda game after Majora's Mask.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
windwaker is the best zelda by a big margin. beautiful artstyle that still looks great when you play the hd version / render it in hd on an emulator

unreal tournament 2003 was the best in the series.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I hate the sailing, but visually I can't disagree.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Das Butterbrot posted:

windwaker is the best zelda by a big margin. beautiful artstyle that still looks great when you play the hd version

I did this last year, I haven't beaten it yet (or admittedly even gotten very far) but it is a gorgeous game and very fun to play.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Homestar Runner posted:

...That's the entire point of his critique, though; there isn't any internal consistency to time travel in Bioshock Infinite.

Seems completely fair to me :shrug:
(Spoilers for Bioshock Infinite ending)

How is there not an internal consistency to it?

The youtube critic was saying, "You can't travel back in time and kill your father because time travel doesn't work that way". Of course it could work that way. It doesn't actually exist, it works that way if you decide it works that way. The various Elizabeths kill Booker so he can't become Comstock, which prevents Columbia from happening and the Elizabeths from existing, so they all disappear. That's how time travel works if that's how it works in that game universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

I did this last year, I haven't beaten it yet (or admittedly even gotten very far) but it is a gorgeous game and very fun to play.

the bad parts come later when they try to pad the game out with some bullshit

maybe the HD version changed that? I dunno