Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
lol it's a good thing juries aren't easily swayed or anything

http://reviewjournal.com/news/bundy-blm/letter-names-blm-agent-charge-bundy-case-target-federal-ethics-probe

quote:

Bureau of Land Management agent Dan Love, a central figure in the government’s case against rancher Cliven Bundy, has been identified as the target of a federal ethics probe in a letter two congressional lawmakers sent to the Office of the Inspector General.

The Feb. 14 letter, sent by U.S. Reps. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, and Blake Farenthold, R-Texas, accuses Love of scrubbing emails, influencing witnesses and deleting hundreds of documents the day before a congressional investigative committee issued a records request. Chaffetz and Farenthold sit on the U.S. House Committee for Oversight and Government Reform.

The letter asks the Office of the Inspector General to further investigate Love following its release last month of an investigative report that slammed the agent for numerous ethics violations. The report found Love used his position to obtain tickets to a sold-out Burning Man festival, improperly intervened in the hiring process of a friend and bullied employees who could have reported his wrongdoing.

The latest allegations are likely to fuel defense arguments in the trial against six men charged as Bundy’s co-conspirators in a 2014 armed standoff in Bunkerville. The incident occurred when the BLM, supervised by Love, tried to seize Bundy’s cattle.

Defense lawyers previously have suggested that Love is the target of the inspector general’s report, and have tried to introduce evidence related to the ethics accusations. They argue the standoff occurred because law enforcement officers acted improperly and aggressively.

In the letter, Chaffetz and Farenthold accuse Love of destroying federal records, tampering with witnesses and obstructing a congressional investigation. They cite unreleased records, including interviews with other BLM employees who were questioned during the inspector general’s investigation.

“After receiving a congressional request for documents, the witness heard Dan Love ‘say to (another BLM employee] that [said BLM employee) needed to make sure that he scrubbed the emails before he sent them, you know, flagging anything that looked inappropriate so that (Dan Love) could remove them if he needed,” the letter says.

The letter also accuses Love of trying to influence the investigation’s outcome by giving another employee “talking points” before an interview with investigators.

The letter does not identify the other employees interviewed about Love’s alleged misconduct. But defense attorney Todd Leventhal said last week that the investigative report named as many as five or six BLM employees who are on the government’s witness list in the Bunkerville standoff trial. Leventhal has said the other employees “aided and abetted” Love; First U.S. Attorney Steven Myhre maintains they were simply questioned as part of the investigation.

Myhre’s opening statement to jurors included references to Love’s efforts to de-escalate the standoff. The prosecutor since has said he does not plan to call Love, who was the special agent in charge, as a witness.

Chaffetz and Farenthold did not disclose what prompted them to investigate Love. But Chaffetz, who leads the House Oversight Committee, has introduced legislation to strip the BLM of its law enforcement functions. During the 2014 standoff with the BLM, Bundy called for participants to “disarm the National Park Service.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I really loving hope they don't gently caress up this trial.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I really loving hope they don't gently caress up this trial.

I have no love for the Bundy's, but if the allegations against Love are true then the government is going to have a hard time convincing jurors of Bundy's wrongdoing while its own agents are shown to be corrupt.

If the allegations are true and the Bundys go free yet again, then that's on the government.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's Chaffetz and Farenthold. They're both ardently opposed to the BLM existing. That's why they're pushing the letter to the press. Didn't we just go over why that newspaper wasn't a good source?

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 20:22 on Feb 19, 2017

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Discendo Vox posted:

It's Chaffetz and Farenthold. They're both ardently opposed to the BLM existing. That's why they're pushing the letter to the press. Didn't we just go over why that newspaper wasn't a good source?

Oh right :downs: Never mind then.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

I have no love for the Bundy's, but if the allegations against Love are true then the government is going to have a hard time convincing jurors of Bundy's wrongdoing while its own agents are shown to be corrupt.

If the allegations are true and the Bundys go free yet again, then that's on the government.

Why I was wondering how legit this it. I mean Chaffers is known for partison witch hunts.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
disregard my dumb opinion. I did not see what the source was.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Well, it's worth acknowledging that 1. It's entirely possible people at BLM have been engaged in malfeasance, and 2. This ploy may work.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Well, it's worth acknowledging that 1. It's entirely possible people at BLM have been engaged in malfeasance, and 2. This ploy may work.

seems a lot of work just to steal a bunch of mangy flea bitten cattle.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

etalian posted:

seems a lot of work just to steal a bunch of mangy flea bitten cattle.

I'm sure there was some Uranium Hilary wanted to sell to the russians Iranians?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cahffetz is human garbage and if the Dems ever manage to retake all 3 branches he deserves a spot high up on the list of people to put in a windowless supermax cell and never hear from them again. It'd still be better than he deserves.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Geoj posted:

Pretty much this, if you want interactions with the authorities to be recorded in a manner where the recording will be accessible after the fact you'd better make your own and save it to the cloud on the fly.

:lol: at anyone who thought body cams would make a drat bit of difference with police misconduct.

they drastically reduce the number of complaints that police get

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hangedman1984 posted:

Why I was wondering how legit this it. I mean Chaffers is known for partison witch hunts.

the question isn't whether it's true, it's whether the judge will let the defense mention the allegations during the trial

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm from Vegas, what's up with the RJ?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm from Vegas, what's up with the RJ?

I think it's Sheldon Adelson's personal smut rag these days.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

It had been shifting right for a few years beforehand, but the 2015 sale to Anderson solidified it as a pro right rag.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"Dan Love?"
* rips off mask*
"NO!!! IT IS MEEEEE John Kilman!!"
* rips off other mask *
No it is me, Fabio Minoggio!!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mr. Nice! posted:

Good thing I've been avoiding those old ladies selling them outside Big Lots!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Mr. Nice! posted:

My favorite was how hard they tried to conceal the fact that it he bought it. For a while, nobody working on the paper actually knew who the owner was -- they had to investigate themselves.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zamujasa posted:

My favorite was how hard they tried to conceal the fact that it he bought it. For a while, nobody working on the paper actually knew who the owner was -- they had to investigate themselves.

Now that’s a hardcore job interview.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Haha, AG Sessions is getting involved: https://twitter.com/karinapdx/status/834250812545064961

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Can Chaffetz and friends get in trouble for undue influence?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

quote:

Prosecutors tried to introduce the radio segment as evidence during the first trial. But defense attorneys successfully argued that it was unfair to use the version that aired, since Sepulvado could have edited it in a way that presented Bundy’s statements out of context. OPB declined to produce the raw, unedited version.

During that trial, U.S. District Judge Anna J. Brown ruled that the only way she would allow prosecutors to introduce the edited interview would be alongside testimony from Sepulvado, who could presumably answer questions about the context of Bundy’s statements.

Oregon’s shield law does not apply to the federal criminal trial.

OPB’s Senior Vice President Morgan Holm described the organization’s general policy to one of its reporters for her story about Sepulvado’s situation.

“Our long-standing policy,” Holm said, “is that reporters’ notes are private documents; they’re not subject to subpoena. We would try to prevent those from getting out because they’re work product.”

OK, this explains why Sepulvado suddenly left OPB for Cali last August. It also explains the weird slant OPB had been running with. What idiots. "No, we'll let the defense run with the claim that our reporting was falsely edited rather than let an interview be used as evidence".

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 07:58 on Feb 22, 2017

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

Who of their superiors is going to say they shouldn't do that thing they absolutely would do themselves?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ScrubLeague posted:

Who of their superiors is going to say they shouldn't do that thing they absolutely would do themselves?
It would be the court who put the kibosh on it. There was some talk about Obama unduly influencing the Zimmerman trial which was mostly bullshit, didn't go anywhere though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

OPB is now fully in the tank for the defendants, breathlessly reporting their defense cross examination as exculpatory. "informants were permitted to commit crimes" is literally a thing for FBI informants across the country. There's a whole procedure in place, it only applies to specific acts. It's because otherwise the informant gets outed and killed.

:rant:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yeah I noticed OPB is getting pretty far out there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

There are absolutely valid arguments for not letting the government have free rein to subpoena reporter's materials. But this isn't a case of protecting a source or not chilling speech. This is a case where the reportage is directly incriminating evidence[Literally "we came here to stop them from working"] with no other risks or harms. The defense's whole argument is that the reporter could have been manipulating the recording! Why is the press helping these people attack the press?! Are they trying to create a standard of news being inadmissible in courtrooms?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmao these guys are gonna get off scott free again hahahahahaha

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

financially racist posted:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
next time they try this poo poo trump is gonna ruby ridge the poo poo outta them isn't he

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

financially racist posted:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

next time they try this poo poo trump is gonna ruby ridge the poo poo outta them isn't he

gently caress no and if they get convicted he'll pardon them

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i thought his base was psycho tea partyists soooo, no?

although he'll no doubt gently caress over his constituents for his own people

doubt we get another waco from his administration though, mollycoddling all the way for white boys

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

No. Unless they say even one slightly critical thing about him.

Then it will be a bloodbath.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the closest minority will be shot, medals will be awarded

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
what does trump's base at all hafta do with the loose cannons that get results damnit he's installed into leadership roles in these enforcement agencies and the policies guiding them that support such an agenda

they're not exactly gearing up to smash the stage y'know

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i mean just because they're not gonna call them terrorists it's not like obama's yoke of restraint is still in place there in the DHS

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

syscall girl posted:

doubt we get another waco from his administration though, mollycoddling all the way for white boys

There's plenty of targets on the other side of the political divide though.

Probably won't get a Ruby Ridge or Waco but I'd say its possible to get another Kent State. Maybe some of those "paid" protesters need to be reminded what happens when they get too uppity...

Geoj has issued a correction as of 02:52 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Casimir Radon posted:

In the most technical sense, maybe.

In reality? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

He'll give them a medal, sell the property to private parties, and then drop the hammer when some rich donors complain about white trash cowboys causing problems for them.