Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pearls Before Swine

This is cheating, Pastis.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"Have you considered meddling? I highly recommend it!"

Rex Morgan MD

Jungle Jim

"Look on the bright side! He probably would have died in some other horrible way eventually anyways." - Jungle Jim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg

Dustin

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dustin's artist deserves better.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

My Lovely Horse posted:

Dustin's artist deserves better.

he's got a steady job, that's better than most talented artists get.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Today's Zits did the same Hollbrook-style "Three visual gag panels and a mundane twist punchline" kind of strip, but managed to do it better and with waaaaaay less old man wankery:

As a bonus, here's the very rare badly-hurt-by-current-events-and-the-time-delay Blondie:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

"Have you considered meddling? I highly recommend it!"

"I have this ninny who won't get off my dick about what job they should take. Maybe you could start dating them!"

Phantom Classic

A tiger-skin robe. Just what every girl dreams of. :barf:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"You deserve to be happy, but I'm not going to tell you to get back with the guy you clearly liked a lot. That would just be silly. Maybe send a care package of sandwiches to a fat loser in Antarctica instead."

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Holy poo poo

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

"What meanst thee serf, by enquiring which holy grail Aye be seeking for; ye Medium grail or ye Large grail??"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Vargo posted:

As a bonus, here's the very rare badly-hurt-by-current-events-and-the-time-delay Blondie:

What do you mean? Did some famous You-tuber kick the bucket?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Johnny Aztec posted:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I will never tire of The Cups Saga.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

The #1 YouTube channel's longstanding "ironic" racism was very recently the subject of a Wall Street Journal article.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

NRVNQSR posted:

The #1 YouTube channel's longstanding "ironic" racism was very recently the subject of a Wall Street Journal article.

Which got him cut from his contract with Disney and banned from YouTube.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

I finally understand why people despise the media

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Vargo posted:

Which got him cut from his contract with Disney and banned from YouTube.

He didn't get banned from Youtube, they fired him and dropped the show they were paying him to make from Youtube Red and kicked him off the premium advertising program that bigger companies use or something.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (Dec. 22, 1984)

I'm amazed at how much better the artwork was back in '84. When did Jim Davis stop caring?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The definitive Garfield experience is the old cartoon.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Radio Patrol

Actually that seems like a bad plan to me, but maybe that's because I'm not a criminal mastermind.

You know, there comes a time at the end of most Radio Patrol storylines where all the major plot points have been given and all that's left is weeks of chasing the bad guy around. And it never fails to remind me of the end of that MST3K movie Racket Girls where all the fun stuff is over it's just this interminable car chase set to an overly dramatic car chase. And whenever I see a Radio Patrol bad guy climb into a getaway car, I never fail to have the refrain "Ukrainia! My bitter homeland!" play in my mind.

Skip to 1:25:00 to cut to the chase. Skip to 1:26:35 to cut even more to the chase. Or just watch the whole thing because it's a great episode and Peaches is a delight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6FG8lha7-w

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol
Actually that seems like a bad plan to me, but maybe that's because I'm not a criminal mastermind.

It's not a terrible plan, considering that Hero Cop Pat apparently refuses to share credit for catching the rampaging murderer and is therefore the only officer looking for him. All The Mind has to do is refrain from being an unnecessarily reckless attention-drawing moron for five min—

:nallears:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

PewdiePie was an LPer? It was never clear to me what exactly he did. His voice was so annoying I was always impatient for his ads to end. Also, didn't he participate in one of those stupid Hillary endorsement videos, or am I thinking of some other generic YouTube "celebrity"?

Tracksuit

Well at least winter's almost over.

Mother From Another Country

They have to have subtitles for normal Korean whenever these people show up in TV documentaries.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The anti-semitic stuff was apparently from a bit where he was being paid to say stuff his fans sent in or something. He may have done it in a bid to get banned so he has a reason to retire, but YouTube will never do it because if he changes his mind he could start up a genuine competitor to them with his 50 million subscribers.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Kavak posted:

The anti-semitic stuff was apparently from a bit where he was being paid to say stuff his fans sent in or something. He may have done it in a bid to get banned so he has a reason to retire, but YouTube will never do it because if he changes his mind he could start up a genuine competitor to them with his 50 million subscribers.

In the newest controversy, he paid some Indian guys on Fiverr to dance around with a sign saying "Death to all Jews!", similar to the time he hired an actor to dress as Jesus and say "Hitler did nothing wrong!"

In fact, his "ironic" jokes have gone on well beyond this latest bit:

quote:

quote:
It would be really nice if people could please stop claiming that it took an antisemitic joke for Disney to drop PewDiePie despite all his prior racist and misogynistic content.

PewDiePie has expressed antisemitic and Nazi sentiments in his videos long before this incident with fiverr.

August 7, 2016: PewDiePie, wearing a Make America Great Again hat, begins his video with a swastika and other Nazi imagery, and uses a photo of Hitler as a segue between clips

September 24, 2016: In a video criticising YouTube policy, he shows a clip of Hitler giving a speech

October 15, 2016: PewDiePie posts swastikas drawn by his fans

December 8, 2016: PewDiePie wears a brown military uniform while watching a Hitler clip at the end of his video

Antisemitic website the Daily Stormer has also given PewDiePie praise for Nazi imagery in his videos, writing:

“PewDiePie is /ourguy/.

This latest video is unapologetically full-Nazi.

The guy has 52 million subscribers, compared to the number 2 YouTuber that has 30 million. He is arguably the most watched person on the planet.

And he is pushing hardcore GTKRWN materials.

In this video, he calls out the Jews for killing Jesus, and points out several times that Hitler did nothing wrong.

At the very least, he is making the masses comfortable with our ideas.

I hope he keeps doing this – staying chill, I mean. Not going too far. I think he’s aware that he’s eventually going to get banned – if he wasn’t ready for that, he wouldn’t be calling out the Jews head-on like this.”

So please understand that he’s targeted Jews in the past without major outrage or punishment. He’s used Nazi imagery as a joke in his videos before. The “death to all Jews” video that caused outrage wasn’t the first antisemitic video PewDiePie posted. He’s also racist and misogynistic and he should have been called out on these things and dropped a long time ago.

But his antisemitic content neither began nor ended with the Fiverr video.

Source: http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/14/youtube-also-cuts-ties-with-pewdiepie-over-nazi-imagery-in-videos-6448782/#ixzz4YksS7Txa

So yeah, gently caress pewdiepie, but also I think this is funny because Blondie will never try to be topical or current ever again.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I thought that was a DARE post

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The WSJ wrote a dishonest article about Pewdiepie trying to make a scandal out of some of his bits, which kicked off a flood of similarly dishonest clickbait articles and op-ed pieces.

I'm not a fan of Pewdiepie, but what the news media did was clearly malicious and self-serving at his expense, and you'd have to be excessively spiteful or stupid to have gone along with it.

NRVNQSR posted:

"ironic" racism

Vargo posted:

"ironic" jokes

Like these two.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Command Ant posted:

The WSJ wrote a dishonest article about Pewdiepie trying to make a scandal out of some of his bits, which kicked off a flood of similarly dishonest clickbait articles and op-ed pieces.

I'm not a fan of Pewdiepie, but what the news media did was clearly malicious and self-serving at his expense, and you'd have to be excessively spiteful or stupid to have gone along with it.

Like these two.

So what are you saying? I don't know anything about poopieguy, so are you happy he is whatever, or not so happy that whatever?

Oh, and why the gently caress should I, an adult human, care about poopie?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts (February 22, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

You know, there comes a time at the end of most Radio Patrol storylines where all the major plot points have been given and all that's left is weeks of chasing the bad guy around. And it never fails to remind me of the end of that MST3K movie Racket Girls where all the fun stuff is over it's just this interminable car chase set to an overly dramatic car chase. And whenever I see a Radio Patrol bad guy climb into a getaway car, I never fail to have the refrain "Ukrainia! My bitter homeland!" play in my mind.

Skip to 1:25:00 to cut to the chase. Skip to 1:26:35 to cut even more to the chase. Or just watch the whole thing because it's a great episode and Peaches is a delight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6FG8lha7-w
All I can think about is Last Clear Chance, but that's just because of the train-hitting-the-car-at-the-crossing thing.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Some Guy TT posted:

Tracksuit

Well at least winter's almost over.

I feel like a lot of these have been going over my head recently, but this one made me laugh out loud. The expresisons are so great

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gleebster posted:

So what are you saying? I don't know anything about poopieguy, so are you happy he is whatever, or not so happy that whatever?

Oh, and why the gently caress should I, an adult human, care about poopie?

Command Ant wasn't the one who brought the subject up. Frankly the relationship of the PewdiePie story with the Blondie comic that provoked the discussion was tangential at best. Also unnecessarily cryptic. I was the first one to actually mention PewdiePie by name, to the point I was wondering if the thread was talking about some other YouTuber. The Wall Street Journal story broke a week ago.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Is this actually being printed in newspapers? How? Seems like it would completely break the formatting.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Calaveron posted:

Is this the point where this poor overworked jaded dmv worker finds the most bureaucratic way to tell this fat ugly unfunny unoriginal man to go gently caress himself

Vindication

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

Is this actually being printed in newspapers? How? Seems like it would completely break the formatting.

You just turn the paper sideways.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Well yeah. But that would look silly.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

All I can think about is Last Clear Chance, but that's just because of the train-hitting-the-car-at-the-crossing thing.

Why don't they look? :smith:

Rip Kirby

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

My sunday paper never printed the throwaway panels, so for strips like this -- Gasoline Alley being the main offender -- everything was shifted and they always looked terrible.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

:ohdear:

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

What a coincidence! This comic is known for taking the fun out of the funny papers.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is unsanitary.

Working Daze is either a rerun or just using this joke again. I honestly can't tell anymore.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix forgot to tell a joke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WickedHate posted:

The definitive Garfield experience is the old cartoon.

The Garfield cartoon and animated specials are one of the few adaptions that I consider to actually be better than their source material (another being the Dilbert cartoon).

Honestly though, when Davis applies himself he's actually capabable of some great stuff (Garfield: His 9 Lives for example). Problem is that nowadays he's more focused on the business side of things than he is the creative side (he is a pretty good sport about the whole thing though, such as embracing Garfield Minus Garfield rather than shutting it down and even releasing his own collection based on the concept).

• Locked thread