Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Polyakov posted:

...iran-iraq stuf...

Just wanted to say that these are awesome, and keep it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Mycroft Holmes posted:

So, the upcoming French DLC for Battlefield 1 is going to add the St. Chamond tank. In reality, it was a lovely tank. I wonder if that will be reflected in gameplay.

Battlefield 1 already has WW1 tanks tearing track down roads like pod racers so I think it's well past that point.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
They are video game tanks in WW1 cosplay, I doubt people would really appreciate them breaking down constantly.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There are two rules about tanks:

1. Any tank is better than no tank.
2. Having no tank because yours broke down and caught fire 100km ago means you had a bad tank.

Video games typically get the first right and don't have a way to model the second.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

A tank mechanic/engineering simulator would be appreciated at some point though!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Alchenar posted:

There are two rules about tanks:

1. Any tank is better than no tank.
2. Having no tank because yours broke down and caught fire 100km ago means you had a bad tank.

Video games typically get the first right and don't have a way to model the second.

They usually get the first bit right by making all tanks the abrams, though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SeanBeansShako posted:

A tank mechanic/engineering simulator would be appreciated at some point though!

My Summer Tank is a simulation of a Finnish tank crew who must keep their T-26 in driveable condition even though it keeps breaking down all the time, also you must drink beer and go to sauna to keep your mental and hygiene meters up and win duels to strip spares from Russian tanks

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Realistic WWI tanks would be horrible in a game that's not aimed at nerds, like that WWI aviation simulator goons played that had planes snapping wings constantly.

But you don't need to go that deep, either: as someone who played British tanks at Warthunder, I can say that realistic tank speeds alone would sink the game.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

SeanBeansShako posted:

There's always Gun Disassembly...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

Realistic WWI tanks would be horrible in a game that's not aimed at gamers, like that WWI aviation simulator goons played that had planes snapping wings constantly.

But you don't need to go that deep, either: as someone who played British tanks at Warthunder, I can say that realistic tank speeds alone would sink the game.

True nerds are all about horrible games, they are called grognards.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, it's all about making a fun game for the few.by making it not fun for everyone else.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

If your game doesnt have an interface that looks like Microsoft access from the mid 90's i dont know if it can be considered fun.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nenonen posted:

My Summer Tank is a simulation of a Finnish tank crew who must keep their T-26 in driveable condition even though it keeps breaking down all the time, also you must drink beer and go to sauna to keep your mental and hygiene meters up and win duels to strip spares from Russian tanks

I would play the gently caress out of this.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Nenonen posted:

Sounds like my last game of Only War.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

MrYenko posted:

I would play the gently caress out of this.

Seriously that would be the best DLC expansion.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Please tell me more!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:allears:

I really want to run OW at some point.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Do it, you scoundrel! I'll play.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'd kill to play a game rather than run it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Char B1 ter

Queue: Strv 103, 02SS Aerosan, Pz.Sfl.IVb, CKD TNH and LTP (Tanque 39), Emil and KRV, M3A1, ZIK-20, T-12/T-24, LPP-25, LTP, Valentine in the USSR, ZIS-41 and ZIS-43 halftracks, Medium Tank M2, T2E1 Light Tank, Combat Car M1, T18 HMC, M10 Wolverine, Infantry Tank MkI

Available for request:

:911:

:britain:
A1E1 Independent

:ussr:
T-37 with ShKAS
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122
76 mm gun mod of the Matilda
Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis
45 mm M-42 gun
SU-76 prototype

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
Strv m/21
Strv 81 and Strv 101

:poland:
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40
25 mm Hotchkiss gun

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzI Ausf. C
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzII Ausf. c through C
PzII Ausf. D through E
PzII trials in the USSR
Pak 97/38
7.5 cm Pak 41
Hummel
s.FH. 18

:eurovision:
LT vz 35
LT vz 38

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Tias posted:

Do it, you scoundrel! I'll play.

xthetenth posted:

I'd kill to play a game rather than run it.

Two problems: 1. I'm kind of running out of evenings at this point, and 2. I have bad enough anxiety running most stuff without running a military game for the milhist audience :v:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

spectralent posted:

Two problems: 1. I'm kind of running out of evenings at this point, and 2. I have bad enough anxiety running most stuff without running a military game for the milhist audience :v:

I've run 40k games for years, so I'll be perfectly happy to help. Believe me when I say a player who knows the rules and has experience with the system is a huge asset if they're trying to be helpful, I've got one in my usual group.

On the other hand, I know the pain regarding evenings.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This dude loving hates the French.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

JcDent posted:

like that WWI aviation simulator goons played that had planes snapping wings constantly.

Do you happen to remember the title? This sounds right up my alley.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I think it was rise of flight.

I'd so loving join a serious-ish (I'm not as knowledgeable about war as I would like to be) goon game of OW, but I think all of my Sundays are already spoken for with buttler-crippling and dynamic-boarding-torpedo-to-the-bridge-entry goon games.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Do you happen to remember the title? This sounds right up my alley.

Rise of Flight - it even modeled the engine running with a blip switch instead of a proper throttle so rest assured it's a real pain in the rear end to fly.

On the other hand you can cap people in the head with your revolver.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

Rise of Flight - it even modeled the engine running with a blip switch instead of a proper throttle so rest assured it's a real pain in the rear end to fly.

On the other hand you can cap people in the head with your revolver.
:neckbeard:
great googly moogly

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
is there a button to push to throw a brick out the cockpit at the other guy

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAIL posted:

is there a button to push to throw a brick out the cockpit at the other guy

If by brick you mean bullet

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nope, you can only do drive-bys.

With a plane.

On a plane.

With a revolver.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FAUXTON posted:

If by brick you mean bullet

Or a flaming brick (A.K.A. Flares)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

With a plane.

On a plane.

With a revolver.
things started going downhill the moment we mounted guns on the planes, imho

JcDent
May 13, 2013

You're just mad that the plane didn't have a window to shoot the pistol out of.

Because it didn't have a cockpit.

Fun fact

The Lithuanian engineer who built the Dobi series of planes died while testing one since he didn't make front/downward visibility a priority.

WWI/interwar aviation is a hell of a drug

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JcDent posted:

With a plane.

On a plane.

With a revolver.

This actually happened at the tail end of World War Two. Well, it wasn't a revolver, it was a M1911 automatic.

quote:

At that point, Francies was flying an unarmed Piper L-4 called Miss Me!?

"I named my plane Miss Me!? because I wanted the Germans to do that, the reason for the exclamation point," Francies explained. "But I also wanted someone back home to 'miss me,' so there was the question mark."

On April 11 Francies and his observer, Lieutenant William Martin, took part in Francies' 142nd mission and one of the most unusual aerial actions of the war. The 71st Battalion was now the closest American force to Berlin-48 miles. Out on an observation mission some 100 miles west of the capital city, Francies noticed a German motorcycle, with the customary sidecar, speeding along a road near some of the 5th Armored tanks. When he and Martin went in to take a closer look at the motorcycle, they also noticed a German Fieseler Fi-156 Storch artillery spotting plane about 700 feet above the trees.

Francies later wrote: "The German Storch, with an inverted 8 Argus engine, also a fabric job and faster and larger than the Miss Me!?, spotted us and we radioed, 'We are about to give combat.' But we had the advantage of altitude and dove, blasting away with our Colt .45s, trying to force the German plane into the fire of waiting tanks of the 5th. Instead, the German began circling."

Firing out the side doors with their Colts, the American crewmen emptied their guns into the enemy’s windshield, fuel tanks and right wing. Francies had to hold the stick between his knees while reloading. He later recalled, "The two planes were so close I could see the Germans' eyeballs, as big as eggs, as we peppered them."

After the Storch pilot made a low turn, the plane's right wing hit the ground, and the plane cartwheeled and came to rest in a pasture. Setting down nearby, the Americans ran to the downed plane.

The German pilot dived behind a huge pile of sugar beets to hide from them, but the observer, who had been hit in the foot, fell to the ground. When Francies removed the observer's boot, a .45 slug fell out.

Then Martin fired warning shots that brought the pilot to his feet, hands raised. Francies confiscated the pilot's wings and Luftwaffe shoulder insignia, as well as a Nazi battle flag.

"I never found out their names," Francies later recalled. "They could have been important, for all I know. We turned them over to our tankers about 15 minutes later after the injured man thanked me many times for bandaging his foot. I think they thought we would shoot them."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

WWI/interwar aviation is a hell of a drug the best thing on earth
:colbert:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

spectralent posted:

Well, 40K is specifically not real life, and benefits from loose and cheesy jokes about actual history, so I wouldn't sweat it. I'm not going to be grog about it, anyway.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The best thing about them was their rotary engine.

Not to be confused with the Wankel rotary like Mazda uses, this was a rotary engine that whirled the whole heavy-rear end metal thing around a fixed shaft.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Just... Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

Just... Why?
world war 1 aviators and aviatrices were

not mentally well