Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
what's 9's battle system like? i've never played it, and considered picking it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
when is the chapter 13 patch dropping I've held off on ff15 cause of that

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

what's 9's battle system like? i've never played it, and considered picking it up.

Skills are learned thru equipment and gain mastery points in battle, once maxed out you've learned that items skill and can use it whenever. Other then that it's typical FF

bump_fn posted:

when is the chapter 13 patch dropping I've held off on ff15 cause of that

March, but it's not nearly as bad as everyone cried about tbh

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sector_corrector posted:

it'a an active battle system like seven and eight, it gives you the option of waiting on command or having it truly be non stop. There's also a version of the limit break system that increases when a character takes hits. But instead of having one attack it buffs up that character for a few turns. Not all characters have this ability though. There's also a system where special abilities can be learned from holding certain weapons. If you take these weapons off you lose them, but if you use them enough you can level the up so you can use them without the required weapon. There's also a chrono trigger like system where a character can get a special move off another if they're in the same party. Although as far as I've seen it only detracts mana from one character and not both like in chrono trigger. The game is really sweet and is a lot more light than seven and eight story-wise. It has a card system that I don't understand but the gamefaqs guide for it has this to say

quote:

Special Note: No. There wasn't, isn't, and never will be any kind of
tangible reward for playing Tetra Master. You don't win items, gold,
hidden FMV's, or even fame by reaching the top collector level. The
reward for putting in the hard hours required is absolutely zip, zilch,
nada, nothing, nil, zero, the big goose egg, total and complete
vacuum - a veritable oblivion. The game seems solely to exist for
bragging rights, as it has no other function in FF9 other than making
you waste time.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i think an npc also says that pretty explicitly

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hubris.height posted:

i think an npc also says that pretty explicitly

lmao, at the end of the guide the author mentions that the reason he didn't write an entry for having 1700 points in tetra master is that the psx version of the game glitches out and puts discarded text over the rank.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i t ried getting 1700 points once nd you need every card fully leveld up and to have a unique arrow combo lmao, its not even close to worth it. i like tetra master tho, its not as good as triple triad but still based

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the run of games frm 7-10 have basically the most epic minigames in jrpgs other than maybe the card game in xenosaga 1 or fishing in 15

e: xenosaga had badass minigames in general actually, the card game fuckin rocked nd the puzzle game in 3 was really cool

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fungah! posted:

the run of games frm 7-10 have basically the most epic minigames in jrpgs other than maybe the card game in xenosaga 1 or fishing in 15

e: xenosaga had badass minigames in general actually, the card game fuckin rocked nd the puzzle game in 3 was really cool

I never finished Xenosaga because i just kept playing the card game

Triple Triad was awesome because it looks like a time wasting minigame but its actually central to completely breaking the actual game.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fungah! posted:

bravely second has some really badass ones too, thaat game really does a good job of breaking up the combat with cool things i really need to get back to it. But that geist boss guy kicks my rear end too hard

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the black watlz's in 9 look a lot like some heartless designs from KH

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just saw this right after the scene where Lunafreya dies and I lolled inappropriately.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chapter 13 is... something

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I had more problems with 14 than 13. So much wasted potential in that chapter.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Evil Eagle posted:

I had more problems with 14 than 13. So much wasted potential in that chapter.

I wanted to see Lestallum...

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Pablo Gigante posted:

I just saw this right after the scene where Lunafreya dies and I lolled inappropriately.

That spoiler text/real text combo.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Chapter 13s only crime is being like 15 mins too long. I've posted about it before but I actually liked most of it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Chapter 13s only crime is being like 15 mins too long. I've posted about it before but I actually liked most of it

I don't dislike it necessarily and I appreciate that they're doing something different but it's a little frustrating sometimes.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The upper screenshot looks like a hosed up version of VII

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's another one where cloud is snapping to cover

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

The upper screenshot looks like a hosed up version of VII

yeah my brain remembers it that way but im certain it was a lot blurrier lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The lighting and models look too high poly. Like someone is running a pc mod

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for some reason the pc port of ffix has built in trainers that will take your gil and stats to the maximum.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

frank.club posted:

for some reason the pc port of ffix has built in trainers that will take your gil and stats to the maximum.

7 and 8 on steam have the same thing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

frank.club posted:

my friend told me about this and that is so hosed lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

better sized screenies

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

For all the game's flaws, the last chapter was fantastic and hit a lot of genuine emotional beats. Loved the game overall

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

i might be a loving moron, but this looks cool and might be fun

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hubris.height posted:

FF7 Remake is going to be a game of the decade. If it comes out in this one or the next.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

hubris.height posted:

I think it looks cool too

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

it looks like FFXV so i think it looks good

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah i was way skeptical but after ffxv i think they can totally pull it off

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

it looks like FFXV so i think it looks good

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
the cactuar timed quest is decent, i never fought one in the regular game and 100 of them is pretty drat hard. went up 12 levels though

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

frank.club posted:

FFX one that speeds fights was a godsend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

a Loving Dog posted:

the cactuar timed quest is decent, i never fought one in the regular game and 100 of them is pretty drat hard. went up 12 levels though

the 333 ap is awesome too.