Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Trin Tragula posted:

No, it was the 96th who charged and broke the Germans SE of Croissant, and the 98th following up behind who then fell charging boldly into the outskirts.

Oh drat :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
So the 98th are the ones who lost their command brigade?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Looking at the disposition I'm wondering if they didn't figure that if we came from where we did they'd be nice and concentrated and they got caught off guard by how painful it is shifting formation under fire. It also looks like they're in a worse position to weather the bayonet point brigades getting shredded.

Also I am so profoundly screwed.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
that could have been a worse disaster I guess

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
D'aww, the Germans are learning from us. Look at that infantry formation. :3:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

I advise getting a stiff drink before reading this. You may need it.

Right then. Do you know what this is?

This, my friends, is a giant German artillery park which has spent the past few turns bumblefucking around trying to get into positions where they're not masking each other's fire. Guess what they just finished doing? If you said "unlimbering", well, you win the right to take cover.

And then the German guns open fire en masse, and nobody hears anything else for quite a while.

I'm putting up a piece of paper on the (new) frigidaire that says in loud aggressive font DO NOT gently caress AROUND IN FRONT OF CONCENTRATED ARTILLERY

Also, what happened to 6th Division's orders? Do the brigades send runners back or is just a delay?

Did 22nd Divisions orders successfully go through? I hope 6e gets to leave, because most our brigades are on the cusp of routing, and losing any firepower at all will be catastrophic.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
As far as casualties are concerned, it looks like 1914 battles in ww1 have about a 1: 3:2 ration in terms of killed, wounded, or captured. So "only" 2000 dead for us, with 6000 wounded and 4000 captured. Although the captured and many of those wounded are out of the war for good.

sullat fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 19, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
*phone rings*

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

General Tebeka/Bacarrette, I need an update on your current situation, as far as you're personally aware of it, and your assessment of it. What are the Boche numbers you are facing, is there an emergency that needs to be acted on, and do you think you can hold the line with the resources at hand?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Hey Trin, can I reshuffle my formation to take into account losses & battlefield conditions without receiving an order from Division HQ?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Looking at the map, to be more specific, can he tell his HQ chit to bugger off to somewhere where it's not literally leading from the front? :v:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Runners and HQs update:

The next update is planned to be four turns long.

6th Division HQ successfully arrived at Baguende and dispatched two runners to the 119th and 120th Brigades, who are now trying to change their orders and have failed once.

52nd Brigade dispatched a runner on being forced to retreat suppressed, which will arrive at Baguende on Turn 10. The brigade will not move after rallying without fresh orders. A Change of Orders will not take place until and unless BHQ rallies from suppression.

53rd Brigade dispatched a runner on opening fire, which arrived at Baguende on Turn 9.

54th Brigade dispatched a runner on Turn 6, which arrived on Turn 9. When routing it dispatched another, which will arrive on Turn 13.

55th Brigade dispatched a runner on Turn 6, which arrived on Turn 8. It is currently on Defend stance and may not move any companies. If it no longer has any enemy companies in range and does not receive a runner, it will attempt to fulfil its original orders and march on Baguette.

No brigades are eligible for a Change of Orders, but brigadiers may give orders now in anticipation of receiving a runner in the next four turns. Brigades may give fresh orders in anticipation of receiving a runner in the next four turns. Division HQ currently has three runners available; a fourth may leave on Turn 11.

22nd Division HQ remains at Clemenceau.

96th Brigade's headquarters was killed while valiantly leading a charge near the Bois de Baguette. Its remaining companies, if able to do so, will break off in response to a Standing Order on turn 10 and switch to Defend stance; if they finish up within 8" of another BHQ I will roll to see if the companies can be added to its strength. If not, they will hold position and entrench and will not accept any further orders, although they are not suppressed (yet) and will defend themselves.

97th Brigade received a runner on Turn 8 and changed its orders.

99th Brigade received a runner on Turn 8. The whereabouts of its missing guns are still unknown, although some rather odd noises are floating down to you out of the Bois de Tigre.

The Cavalry Brigade received a runner on Turn 8 and changed its orders.

22nd Division sent four runners out over the course of two turns and has one remaining. The one sent to 96th arrived in time to go down with the ship. No runners are currently heading towards HQ.

No brigades are eligible for a Change of Orders, but brigadiers may give orders now in anticipation of receiving a runner in the next four turns.

Reminder: soft deadline 5pm (GMT) this coming Tuesday, hard deadline when the adjudication begins, results to follow but possibly not until Wednesday afternoon, depending on circumstances.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 19, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I retreat at the end of turn ten, that's either going to be just in the nick of time or right as I get utterly plastered.

Here's hoping.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
If the BEF shows up having nicked our wandering 155s I will be very cross.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Here is the proposed defensive line... any critiques? If the infantry gets too far ahead of the guns, they'll be pulverized without recourse.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

You might want to protect the guns a bit from enemy infantry by spacing out bricks of them with infantry just to mess with targeting priority. Maybe two companies between groups of 3 cannons.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully the sight of my brigade maneuvering so far away from the battle makes the Germans panic and draws them into our guns.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If the BEF shows up having nicked our wandering 155s I will be very cross.

Thats what Im betting, yeah.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Are we calling reinforcements? If we do, we should do it sooner rather than later. While there is a battle line to reinforce.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

xthetenth posted:

You might want to protect the guns a bit from enemy infantry by spacing out bricks of them with infantry just to mess with targeting priority. Maybe two companies between groups of 3 cannons.

Reshuffling chits that need to be stationary to fire while the enemy poses a risk of entering their range at any time. Yup. That's what we should be doing. :v:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

Reshuffling chits that need to be stationary to fire while the enemy poses a risk of entering their range at any time. Yup. That's what we should be doing. :v:

The proposed layout deoesn't move the arty, fortunately.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

Got it when I asked him, it made sense the way he did it.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

my dad posted:

*phone rings*

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

General Tebeka/Bacarrette, I need an update on your current situation, as far as you're personally aware of it, and your assessment of it. What are the Boche numbers you are facing, is there an emergency that needs to be acted on, and do you think you can hold the line with the resources at hand?

Lost contact with 96th Brigade. Believe brigadier has been killed and brigade dissolved.

98th Brigade continues attack on Saint Croissant.

97th Brigade heading for Dejeunner to take up a reverse slope defence. Guns remaining on Clemenceau to provide fire support.

99th Brigade is holding fast. The 155mm and the 75mm that went missing haven't turned up yet. We can hear artillery tractors coming down the road from the east - so they may arrive in the next hour.

6th Cavalry is falling back to the Leo Oeuf.

Germans have a brigade just south of the Bois de Gooneville advancing south. One more brigade plus a small cavalry brigade in Saint Croissant. I see three more German brigadese. One on the Ferme Confit, one in the Ferme de Beuerre, and one on the Pasteur Ridge's northern road.

Each brigade has 12 infantry, 4 MG, and a brigade HQ. There are 4 howitzers in the Ferme de Confit and 4 more on the extreme north-west edge of the Pasteur Ridge. Their bicycle troops appear to have gone to ground and are digging in on La Sanglante Femme.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

sullat posted:

Here is the proposed defensive line... any critiques? If the infantry gets too far ahead of the guns, they'll be pulverized without recourse.

Your guys being out of your command circle is not going to do you any favours later on. I say just put 3 of the infantry companies behind the gaps in your arty

So the current threat to you are 3 artillery chits (Who are going to target your arty), and that Boche brigade in the Bois de Baguette (My 1914 boyband name). Their arty is really outnumbered, and the Baguette Brigade is closer to Loel's brigade than yours, so if they are on "ATTACK EVERYTHING" orders, you are probably safe.

In 2 turns, it's conceivable that the fresh Brigade in the distance will attack you. It's also conceivable that lenoon's reservists will figure out their orders next turn and move directly into the Boche's path.

All in all, your orders seem alright, I don't actually believe you're in that tight of a spot, so as long as you nix the default orders (Assaulting Baguette), you ought to be fine. You're only getting to change orders 1-2 turns after the current situation, so if you're really screwed (As in, all 3 fresh German brigades try to bayonet charge you) it's too late to change them.

In addendum, next time we as a corps make pre-battle orders, don't order support brigades like the 55e to assault towns, the default orders stick around and make things a bitch.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Lost contact with 96th Brigade. Believe brigadier has been killed and brigade dissolved.

98th Brigade continues attack on Saint Croissant.

97th Brigade heading for Dejeunner to take up a reverse slope defence. Guns remaining on Clemenceau to provide fire support.

99th Brigade is holding fast. The 155mm and the 75mm that went missing haven't turned up yet. We can hear artillery tractors coming down the road from the east - so they may arrive in the next hour.

6th Cavalry is falling back to the Leo Oeuf.

Germans have a brigade just south of the Bois de Gooneville advancing south. One more brigade plus a small cavalry brigade in Saint Croissant. I see three more German brigadese. One on the Ferme Confit, one in the Ferme de Beuerre, and one on the Pasteur Ridge's northern road.

Each brigade has 12 infantry, 4 MG, and a brigade HQ. There are 4 howitzers in the Ferme de Confit and 4 more on the extreme north-west edge of the Pasteur Ridge. Their bicycle troops appear to have gone to ground and are digging in on La Sanglante Femme.

With Hunt's brigade ordered off to Dejeuner ridge, 22nd div at Clemenceau is left with like, 1.5 infantry brigades and 3 soon-to-be-routed brigades against 4-5 healthy German ones.

Why are we compromising our defensive line for the off-chance that the Germans gain instant victory for seizing an objective? Surely, if we can't hold Clemenceau ridge, we won't be able to hold Dejeuner.

Why did we rush to send the infantry all the way to South Dejeuner, without using the attached cavalry company to scout the ridge to see if we even need them there?

Speaking of, Trin, where is the 97th's attached cavalry company?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

With Hunt's brigade ordered off to Dejeuner ridge, 22nd div at Clemenceau is left with like, 1.5 infantry brigades and 3 soon-to-be-routed brigades against 4-5 healthy German ones.

Why are we compromising our defensive line for the off-chance that the Germans gain instant victory for seizing an objective? Surely, if we can't hold Clemenceau ridge, we won't be able to hold Dejeuner.

Why did we rush to send the infantry all the way to South Dejeuner, without using the attached cavalry company to scout the ridge to see if we even need them there?

Speaking of, Trin, where is the 97th's attached cavalry company?

He's under standing orders from me to use the cav for scouting.

And General Mon Pere regarded it as enough of a risk to justify it. In an emergency, we can send a runner to get them into position to help 99th Brigade.

If we need more men, now it the time to call for reinforcements.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Either the cavalry got roped into with the rest of our surviving cavalry or it is dead.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

96th Brigade's headquarters was killed while valiantly leading a charge near the Bois de Baguette

My only regret is that I have but one life to give for France :france:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
:siren:55th Brigade's orders:siren:

Expected change of orders upon receipt of a runner from HQ:

All orders to advance are immediately cancelled. The brigade will re-form like so:

Note that the artillery is to stay exactly where it is and keep firing until no Germans are visible. Under no conditions is it to stop shooting at any and all visible Germans. If no Germans are visible, everyone is to entrench like a [insert appropriate regional stereotype here].

Standing orders:
When sighting an enemy on attack stance, switch to defend.
When attacking an enemy use rifle fire.
When an enemy company breaks off, do not pursue.
break off at 2/3rds casualties. Save the guns!

sullat fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 21, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

He's under standing orders from me to use the cav for scouting.

And General Mon Pere regarded it as enough of a risk to justify it. In an emergency, we can send a runner to get them into position to help 99th Brigade.

If we need more men, now it the time to call for reinforcements.

Can I propose we immediately send a runner to get 97th to change their orders so that they might actually return to the fight on their own initiative if nothing shows up on Dejeuner ridge? If if are attacked in strength at Clemenceau, we won't have time to send a runner all the way to South Dejeuner

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I like how the spirit of this has devolved perfectly from "waltz on and seize objectives" to "ne passé pas!"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The same reason we sent infantry to La Cote while we expected the enemy to be nowhere near it. The risks posed by the alternative are too great to allow. For an example of what happens when you don't think like this, please look at the German force, turns 1 to now.

Scouting is utter garbage if the information it provides is too late to actually do anything about it.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

No more talking about this in the milhist thread! It's like taking a day trip to neutral Switzerland and loudly chatting about battle plans in the local bierhof!

https://youtu.be/Iu6YFBQOB3c

lenoon fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 20, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

my dad posted:

The same reason we sent infantry to La Cote while we expected the enemy to be nowhere near it. The risks posed by the alternative are too great to allow. For an example of what happens when you don't think like this, please look at the German force, turns 1 to now.

Scouting is utter garbage if the information it provides is too late to actually do anything about it.

But the scout doesn't need to report to Division HQ before the brigade can act, it will return to Brigade HQ first with information from La Oeuf. It sounds like an uncomplicated conditional order to make.

Sending them off marching in that direction is one thing, but right now 97th Brigade doesn't even have orders come back unless they get a runner from Div HQ. With how isolated Dejeuner ridge is, we've essentially routed 1/3 of 22nd Division's manpower for the Germans for the next 6 turns at least, unless we send out a runner to politely request they return to the war if possible.

Also, with some help from a higher power, the 97th's attached cavalry company has been found and accounted for.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Right now the biggest headache for the French command seems to resolve around just how far bicycles can actually move.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Right now the biggest headache for the French command seems to resolve around just how far bicycles can actually move.

Yeah, that's got the potential to cause a big problem for my horse riders. As long as they get out cleanly though, I should be a decent stumbling block. And if we get infantry into the woods and they can entrench, we'll be able to block them solidly, it's just a matter of whether we can get croissant.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

With how isolated Dejeuner ridge is, we've essentially routed 1/3 of 22nd Division's manpower for the Germans for the next 6 turns at least, unless we send out a runner to politely request they return to the war if possible.

Yes, that is an expenditure of resources which I consciously chose to make.

Ideally, 22nd will let the waves of German soldiers break on their wall of artillery. However, for them to do that, 6th needs to keep their artillery line covering Bois du Baguette, otherwise the enemy has an avenue they can use to sneak up on Loel's guys for a bayonet charge. We're currently besieging St. Croissant and in a position to brutally punish any enemy advance there. We have two weaknesses:
First is the risk of enemy moving over La Oeuf and presenting a threat from there is one. Sending that infantry there solves this problem in two ways, and depending on circumstances and luck, may help us elsewhere as well. First of all, we have a good ambush to spring on the Germans if they attack and we are in a position to actively protect what I am assuming is a possible enemy objective. Second, if the enemy learns that our infantry is there, they can't discout the option that we're doing a flanking maneuver of our own, and have another threat to consider and react to. Finally, seeing them leave might make the enemy think that our center is weakened, and push into a fortified ridge backed by a lot of artillery, and die. A lot.
Second weakness is not really being ready to receive more of a push on our NE without our reserves breaking, and taking the artillery with them. I made the mistake of assuming German reinforcements would take a significant amount of time to arrive, and we're about to pay for it. I am still considering whether I should press the panic button and try to stop the reserve brigades from advancing, or to let them go and hope for the best, while exploiting their advances elsewhere somehow.

Still waiting on tbk to make a post about what he knows and what he needs and then I'll start issuing orders.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

my dad posted:

Yes, that is an expenditure of resources which I consciously chose to make.

Ideally, 22nd will let the waves of German soldiers break on their wall of artillery. However, for them to do that, 6th needs to keep their artillery line covering Bois du Baguette, otherwise the enemy has an avenue they can use to sneak up on Loel's guys for a bayonet charge. We're currently besieging St. Croissant and in a position to brutally punish any enemy advance there. We have two weaknesses:
First is the risk of enemy moving over La Oeuf and presenting a threat from there is one. Sending that infantry there solves this problem in two ways, and depending on circumstances and luck, may help us elsewhere as well. First of all, we have a good ambush to spring on the Germans if they attack and we are in a position to actively protect what I am assuming is a possible enemy objective. Second, if the enemy learns that our infantry is there, they can't discout the option that we're doing a flanking maneuver of our own, and have another threat to consider and react to. Finally, seeing them leave might make the enemy think that our center is weakened, and push into a fortified ridge backed by a lot of artillery, and die. A lot.
Second weakness is not really being ready to receive more of a push on our NE without our reserves breaking, and taking the artillery with them. I made the mistake of assuming German reinforcements would take a significant amount of time to arrive, and we're about to pay for it. I am still considering whether I should press the panic button and try to stop the reserve brigades from advancing, or to let them go and hope for the best, while exploiting their advances elsewhere somehow.

Still waiting on tbk to make a post about what he knows and what he needs and then I'll start issuing orders.

I understand your reasoning, but 97th brigade has perfectly good scouting capabilities, and we don't actually need to send them with unconditional orders to guard Dejeuner south.

As things stand, if there is no boche attack in Bois de Bacon, the 97th's infantry is not going to do anything to support our defense or offense until a runner fetches them. By some rough math, that's 3 turns of runner travel, and another 3 of 97th's movement, if we were in dire need of reinforcements at Clemenceau.

Edit: Regarding the NE, the Germans are not deployed in a way that suggests they will attack there. The fresh boche flanking 53rd Brigade is facing 4 healthy French brigades, as well as whatever routing companies we collect from 52nd.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 20, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I understand your reasoning, but 97th brigade has perfectly good scouting capabilities, and we don't actually need to send them with unconditional orders to guard Dejeuner south.

As things stand, if there is no boche attack in Bois de Bacon, the 97th's infantry is not going to do anything to support our defense or offense until a runner fetches them. By some rough math, that's 3 turns of runner travel, and another 3 of 97th's movement, if we were in dire need of reinforcements at Clemenceau.

And if Quatreprouts is their equivalent of our stretch objective, they're something that can actually properly repel fast units and maybe even some heavier attacks.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I can see where you're coming from. I'll consider changing the orders, though Bacarruda's input would be welcome on this. I'm still heavily leaning towards just leaving them there. Maybe calling the brigadier chit back to move the artillery as needed. It's a lot more useful than the infantry. :v:

As an aside, thanks for taking the time to criticize plans, and propose alternatives. :) Even though I disagree with you most of the time, our plans have been consistently improved by incorporating the results of your thinking. Hell, I generally like the Entente team as a whole. Yeah, we need to work out some issues (use the preview button, ya goons :argh:), but playing the game with y'all has been quite fun so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Looking back at the last game, we have to avoid the mistake of acting timidly. We have managed to contain the Germans to about 1/3rd of the battlefield and we need to do all we can to keep them pinned.

• Locked thread