Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Is Disgea 5 good? My peeps tell me that the series peaked with 2, but my peeps have some game biases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Don't gently caress with me thread I need to know if I should damper my expectations for Bomberman or not

I haven't had a quality Bomberman experience since that arcade game on Xbox live.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Anyone have any suggestions on a good external battery for the Switch and USB-C cable? I have been leaning towards Anker stuff since I have been pleased with everything else I have gotten from them.

Also anyone seen a non-sketchy Tempered Glass screen protector yet? I know that the HORI ones have been the bar standard for years but I have been sold on the glass ones since I started using them on my phones.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Don't gently caress with me thread I need to know if I should damper my expectations for Bomberman or not

I haven't had a quality Bomberman experience since that arcade game on Xbox live.

Well seeing as there were no other Bomberman experiences between it and R.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The R designation made me think Bomberman was going to be a small, budget title like Star Soldier R on WiiWare.

It looks like Bomberman. If you already have a Bomberman, maybe it isn't a strictly necessary Bomberman. There are undoubtedly better Bombermans, because Saturn Bomberman exists and the 10 player mode with cameo characters is never coming back, and Bomberman Blast is cheaper and supports 8 controllers you probably already own. The overriding factor looks like it will be how much you want a Bomberman game on a system designed for easy portability.

Hard to tell from videos whether it has performance issues noted in firsthand accounts but that would be the only major bummer IMO.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Is Disgea 5 good? My peeps tell me that the series peaked with 2, but my peeps have some game biases.

Disgaea 5 is v good

d3 was mediocre as sin with a loving terrible story

i didn't play 4 but I heard 4 was ok

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

tithin posted:

Disgaea 5 is v good

d3 was mediocre as sin with a loving terrible story

i didn't play 4 but I heard 4 was ok

Can you jump into that series at any point?
I might get 5 but haven't touched the rest.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Internet Kraken posted:

Why is Bomberman going to be bad

It looks like poo poo and goons have played it at events and said it's poo poo. Maybe there will be a day 1 patch.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Inzombiac posted:

Start with Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I retract my interest.
All video games are bad.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Djarum posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on a good external battery for the Switch and USB-C cable? I have been leaning towards Anker stuff since I have been pleased with everything else I have gotten from them.

Also anyone seen a non-sketchy Tempered Glass screen protector yet? I know that the HORI ones have been the bar standard for years but I have been sold on the glass ones since I started using them on my phones.

Basically doesn't exist with 100% certainty and screen protectors are completely overrated

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Inzombiac posted:

Yes

there is very little continuity between the games, they're all in different universes, with a little bit of cross universe action at the extreme end of the end games (we're talking mega bosses where you've levelled the same character to 9999 a bunch of times)

the only real continuity between them is the sprites and some of the classes

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

katkillad2 posted:

It looks like poo poo and goons have played it at events and said it's poo poo. Maybe there will be a day 1 patch.

I mean, having played it at the event I didn't find it terrible. My main gripe was that it was an obviously very limited demo and we didn't get the option to try any other battle variants (if there are any) and there was no story mode demo. But it wasn't terrible, just maybe a little underwhelming from what was available to play.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.
I know someone who works in a switch factory, there are naught enough PCB's for the amount of console orders they got. Its a Spicy assembly line rushing to put switches into boxes and they are already behind.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

The Vinja Ninja posted:

I know someone who works in a switch factory, there are naught enough PCB's for the amount of console orders they got. Its a Spicy assembly line rushing to put switches into boxes and they are already behind.

They're just shoving crackers and pieces of cardboard in them now and hoping nobody notices

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Dr Cheeto posted:

They're just shoving crackers and pieces of cardboard in them now and hoping nobody notices

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_gLOUbQZgk&feature=youtu.be&t=88

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

create another Bomberman Hero nintendo

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I ended up ordering this MicroSD card so I never have to worry about the memory on the Switch ever

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

can I have a Bomberman icon for my username?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Bomberman Warriors

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hey let's never stop asking if Bomberman R is good or bad

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I would buy another even mediocre-level bomberman since it's been awhile but looks like Konami can't even do that

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Online Bomberman I can play in bed bombing gewns

10/10 GOTY

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

The Vinja Ninja posted:

They're desperately trying to shove switches into their mouths like I love Lucy.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

Hey let's never stop playing Bomberman R, good or bad

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Disgaea is weird as hell

D1 had a great story and some really clever writing and dumb jokes. There wasn't much post game to it and it didn't really need the stupid level bullshit the series is known for.

D2 had a pretty good story too with mostly good writing but it wasn't as wacky as 1 and it wanted to tell a love story. Mechanics got better and it had a pretty solid post game and a lot of extra content in it. They were still trying to justify the 9999 level thing so some game mechanics are kinda lovely.

D3 People didn't like that D2 was mostly a love story so the devs grabbed Disgaea 1's main character and gave him a new coat of paint hoping that would be good enough. All of the characters are terribly written and obnoxious and you kind of want to skip every cutscene in the game. That being said the gameplay is perfectly fine and the post game finally finds a way to make the 9999 grind interesting. It's the easiest to understand game mechanically so it's good for that at least.

D4 just said whatever we'll just be wacky who gives a gently caress about the story and the series just became "let's reference a thousand animes" and that's about it. Surprisingly okay if you like stupid random references. Gameplay is really easy to get into but by the end of it they've introduced so many convoluted systems that it's kinda much even by Disgaea standards

D5 is more D4. The post game that was included is terrible though because they just reused D4's cast as the post game bosses so they wouldn't have to make any new sprites or animations.

Disgaea in general is a game that you play for the maps, then when you beat the game you just kind of veg out and "play" while doing other things to kill time.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 20, 2017

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Listen, some bombs are just metaphors and shouldn't be played

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Junkie Disease posted:

Listen, some bombs are just metaphors and shouldn't be played

A hot and fresh take on Braid in the Switch thread in 2017, why I never

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

bomberman thread

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

tithin posted:

Bomberman Warriors

I only play my waifu, pommy.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Unironically this, hell yeah Bomberman Hero.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I played Bomberman 64 as a kid and it was one of my favorite games. Also there was some GBA game that was like a weird Zelda-lite but with bombs. That might have been terrible but I enjoyed it at the time.

Bomberman 64 was good though. Probably.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bomberman 64 and Second Attack are kinda mediocre these days (but still fun enough to give a shot)

Hero aged like dogshit. It has a single good song in it and it loops that song so often that by the end of the game it's only redeeming feature is trash. It was a bad game at launch, too.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Super Bomberman R will be a good game, and if you disagree, it's probably because you don't actually like Bomberman, to which I say you should not buy a game you already hate.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I played Bomberman 64 as a kid and it was one of my favorite games. Also there was some GBA game that was like a weird Zelda-lite but with bombs. That might have been terrible but I enjoyed it at the time.

Bomberman 64 was good though. Probably.

Bomberman 64 is/was good. Would play a spiritual sequel.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Bomberman 64 was one of my favourite games on the N64, it had such good music and I was addicted to hunting down all the costumes for the awesome multiplayer.
I always wanted a sequel to expand on/refine the gameplay.

I've been playing a little of the Turbografix Bomberman on my WiiU, the multiplayer goes up to five players!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Bomberman 64 and Second Attack are kinda mediocre these days (but still fun enough to give a shot)

Hero aged like dogshit. It has a single good song in it and it loops that song so often that by the end of the game it's only redeeming feature is trash. It was a bad game at launch, too.

the soundtrack rules suck my dick

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Goons hate most games though. Making bomberman good for normal people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

Goons hate most games though. Making bomberman good for normal people