Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Going to have to finally mess with the song menu to get it to play the right Eva song in the dummyplug test instead of whatever default it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Don't worry about the songs when you can put this in your custom playlist: http://gundampilotssmokingweed.tumblr.com/post/62139935571/we-have-more-incredibly-fresh-beats-were-those

Y'all welcome.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Have you monkeyed with custom soundtrack options in SRW, yet? You don't really select music for listening, rather you assign different theme songs to play during each unit's animations (on a per-unit basis, with a few exceptions). Instead of putting on Darude - Sandstorm, you set it so that Darude - Sandstorm plays whenever Shin Mazinkaiser attacks and maybe also that Chuck Mangione - Feels So Good plays whenever Shin Getter-1 attacks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Rufus posted:

Don't worry about the songs when you can put this in your custom playlist: http://gundampilotssmokingweed.tumblr.com/post/62139935571/we-have-more-incredibly-fresh-beats-were-those

Y'all welcome.

I miss that blog. The author went through some tough times and never returned.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I don't suppose there's been any confirmation as to whether the Vita English version will be available digitally? Really rather not wait like a month for a physical version when I wouldn't have to. I know it's not up for pre-load like the PS4 version (or at least, not on Singapore's PSN), but that doesn't necessarily mean much.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 19, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

I don't suppose there's been any confirmation as to whether the Vita English version will be available digitally? Really rather not wait like a month for a physical version when I wouldn't have to. I know it's not up for pre-load like the PS4 version (or at least, not on Singapore's PSN), but that doesn't necessarily mean much.

It almost certainly will. While the Vita is largely abandoned, Sony has always pressured publishers to make everything available on PSN for the Vita. Only one game that I know of tried to go physical only, and it ended up on PSN eventually.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I am looking forward to SRW dropping the Vita someday. The compromises in animation they had to make in Z3 so it would run on the Vita are pretty clear when you compare it to the PS3 OG games.

edit: I was playing Moon Dwellers again last night and thinking about that, and also about how hard it is sometimes to visually pick units out on the map compared to other SRW games. It was the same with MX, and all the way back in Impact too. I hope they drop that style of map graphics someday.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 19, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

I am looking forward to SRW dropping the Vita someday. The compromises in animation they had to make in Z3 so it would run on the Vita are pretty clear when you compare it to the PS3 OG games.

edit: I was playing Moon Dwellers again last night and thinking about that, and also about how hard it is sometimes to visually pick units out on the map compared to other SRW games. It was the same with MX, and all the way back in Impact too. I hope they drop that style of map graphics someday.

Looking at the isometric map screens of V makes me really feel like it's the first really modern SRW (outside of OG) since the Z1.

Part of me even feels like V's crisp sprites look nicer than OG's models.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Caphi posted:

Part of me even feels like V's crisp sprites look nicer than OG's models.
All of me feels that. I always thought those models looked like crap compared to map sprites, even during the few times that they are animated.

For visibility I still think the old school non-isometric head sprites in Z2 and 3 are the best though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I hope they let you stream/screenshot this time but those hopes aren't very high.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Midjack posted:

It almost certainly will. While the Vita is largely abandoned, Sony has always pressured publishers to make everything available on PSN for the Vita. Only one game that I know of tried to go physical only, and it ended up on PSN eventually.

Any idea how much it'd be? Trying to figure out how many (if more than one in the first place) of the prepaid cards I'd need. First time I've really done the import thing. Is it just $40 converted straight into Singapore Dollars, or what?

Come to think of it, is there tax on digital purchases in Singapore?

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 20, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

Any idea how much it'd be? Trying to figure out how many (if more than one in the first place) of the prepaid cards I'd need. First time I've really done the import thing. Is it just $40 converted straight into Singapore Dollars, or what?

Come to think of it, is there tax on digital purchases in Singapore?

It won't be more than the PS4 version; maybe a few dollars less. I don't remember there being any tax on my Singapore PSN purchases.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Less than one week to playing a game with MAZIN EMPEROR G in it.

And Yamato too I guess

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
One week to the worldwide debut of Mazin Emperor G. Bless.

I've never seen Might Gaine so I'm pretty interested in reading that.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Less than one week to the debut of the Brave Series that isn't called GaoGaiGar!

Which is actually unfortunate, since as far as I'm concerned, there's never any valid reason to not have GaoGaiGar in SRW.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

Less than one week to the debut of the Brave Series that isn't called GaoGaiGar!

Which is actually unfortunate, since as far as I'm concerned, there's never any valid reason to not have GaoGaiGar in SRW.

Gaogaigar isn't even the best Brave series. :colbert:

(That is Da Garn.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's finally Hathaway's time to shine and be great instead of bad.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Finally we can Cross...bone into the Gundam's Skull Heart.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's finally Hathaway's time to shine and be great instead of bad.

You mean it's time for Hathaway to get kicked out of his Gundam so I can give it to Roux.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just hope the Ples and Marida have a combination attack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Probably not. Unless they recast Ple's actress is dead so I imagine she'll just be recycled voice clips at best.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

That would be the first new cross-series combination in a while, wouldn't it? Even if ZZ and Unicorn are related anyways.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Raxivace posted:

That would be the first new cross-series combination in a while, wouldn't it? Even if ZZ and Unicorn are related anyways.

I was going to say Heero and Setsuna but that's just a relationship bonus.

Is it more of a "cross-series" thing than any of the Invincible Combination or Final Dynamic iterations?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Aquarions had a combo attack in Z3. So did Daitarn, Zambot and Trider, though that was also in Z2.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm playing through Z1. What sort of pilot skills should I get? I used to automatically give everyone Ignore Size Difference and Break Morale Limit, but I've been thinking... I played the two Z2 games and remember giving everyone Continuous Attack, but it's expensive...

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

ImpAtom posted:

Gaogaigar isn't even the best Brave series. :colbert:

(That is Da Garn.)

I will CUT. YOU.

Never forget that bravery and courage will turn a 0 % chance of victory into 100.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Gear Fighter Dendoh is the best Brave series

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm playing through Z1. What sort of pilot skills should I get? I used to automatically give everyone Ignore Size Difference and Break Morale Limit, but I've been thinking... I played the two Z2 games and remember giving everyone Continuous Attack, but it's expensive...

Any character with good All attacks you're expecting to use a lot: Focused Attack.

Any character you're going to use mostly as a squademate: Backup Attack

Any character with primarily support Spirits: SP Up.

Other then those which I feel are needed I feel it's best done on a case by case basis. Pick what you think will fit each character.

For instance, when I LPed Z I saw that Banjo and Duke have very good Skill stats, comparable to Amuro and Kei's, so I taught them Attack Again and they worked very well. For Shinn I wanted him to ram to SEED activation as fast as possible, so he learned Will+(Evade)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Aquarion has a gimmick where a pilot's highest stat counts as the units stats.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

ImpAtom posted:

Probably not. Unless they recast Ple's actress is dead so I imagine she'll just be recycled voice clips at best.

Ple, Ple-Two, and Marida just need to all go "Puru puru puru!" during their combination: the Triple Inazuma Kick.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ImpAtom posted:

You mean it's time for Hathaway to get kicked out of his Gundam so I can give it to Roux.

Nope, I'm taking Hathaway to the stars instead of his deadbeat dad.

Roux will get the Zeta or the Nu or something. The F91?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

The only skill I think I consider mandatory for anyone whose job isn't to just sit in the back and cast Spirits is Break Morale Limit and that's only past a certain point in the game when the enemy density rises to the point where you are frequently hitting the Morale cap - before then it's kinda pointless.

Most everything else is very situational - Ignore Size Difference and Attack Again are the two that look deceptively more useful than they're actually worth.

Specifically, for the former, most characters tend to have ISD as an inherent property on their finishers, and if you're hitting someone bigger than you, it's generally a boss in which case you would be using said finisher. It's a bit better on S sized units since the majority of mooks are M, I suppose.

And for the latter, they either can't afford the stat investment for those skills or have weapon issues (usually Real pilots, whose finishers tend to be ALLs which can't be used with Attack Again

I honestly just spend a lot on stats. On a quick browse, the most useful ones to me (relatively speaking because they're really situational) are

Will Limit Break
Potential - If you're close to level 9, fill it up because it's pretty OP at high levels.
Will+ (Evade)
Will+ (Destroy) - This one needs a bit of explanation but if you use MAP attacks heavily given that this is a game with Nirvash in it, this one is really nice because it raises the morale you gain from MAP kills from 0 to 1.
Guard - The way numbers work, I think it works better than pumping Defense if you can raise the Morale quickly.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Raxivace posted:

But we've already got a Mazinger Z and Mazinkaiser SKL combo attack that ends with Koji joining in on the "We are hell!". Why go any further when we've hit the pinnacle?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I feel like Support Defense is an underutilized skill-- it's not just another unit jumping in to take the hit, it acts as if the supporting unit is taking the Guard action, so they get that damage mitigation and you take less damage than you otherwise would have. Of course, this doesn't apply as much in Z1 as it would in other games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Son Ryo posted:

I feel like Support Defense is an underutilized skill-- it's not just another unit jumping in to take the hit, it acts as if the supporting unit is taking the Guard action, so they get that damage mitigation and you take less damage than you otherwise would have. Of course, this doesn't apply as much in Z1 as it would in other games.
Yeah, unless the target is using iron wall, using support defense will always reduce the damage received across your whole army. I give it to basically all my units other than ones made of tinfoil.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Both Supports are good, but there aren't that many SRWs that encourage defensive formations especially now that you can use Alert/Focus/Withstand reactively, whereas using Off. Support helps you kill faster, is actually required to get certain kinds of kills, and even helps you manage kill counts.

You know what Defensive Support is great for, though? Chirico.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
On paper Support Defend is a good skill, but in practice it's kind of awkward.

In games with Battle Masteries, the vast majority of BMs tend to be time limits, so you end up having a very hap-hazard formation because you're busy trying to kill mooks all over the place.

Now in games without BMs you're more likely to deathball because you don't have that pressure on you to split up, but on the other hand the non-BM games also tend to be really easy that survivability isn't an issue, which kinda leaves like... AP and OE?

They also don't tend to be good in Squad System games because there's a bunch of things that doesn't let you Support Defend, like ALL attacks.

(I'm ignoring the older games where you don't even have a skill customization system and get to enjoy the lovely distribution on Reals getting Support while Supers only get them in the late game like Alpha Gaiden.)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Caphi posted:

I was going to say Heero and Setsuna but that's just a relationship bonus.

Is it more of a "cross-series" thing than any of the Invincible Combination or Final Dynamic iterations?

Less so than Invincible, more so than Dynamic, because theoretically the FDS is a result of including that one crossover movie with the Dragonsaurus in the series list--the monster usually shows up in games with a FDS, yeah?

On the other hand, the Invincible series have no super concrete evidence towards a shared universe, so it's a further leap than a same-timeline combo.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The best cross series combination attack is the Dancouger one from Z2.2 because they fist bump in the end.

I'm still kind of upset that the original Dancouger didn't show up in Z3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Kappei and Watta fistbump in their Z2 combo attack too. Z2 had the best combo attacks.

• Locked thread