Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
$667 a month for a house and 20 acres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

joat mon posted:

Plant that in Montana or Vermont or something and that's basically my loving dream.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Mike-o posted:

You guys are going to summon threeolives or whatever his name is with all this rent chat and such :supaburn:

That gbs superstar who lives in a high rise with a pool and hates when kids swim in he pool? gently caress that guy

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What are the up and coming decent places to live in the US that aren't stupid expensive or miserable to live

Like, not Phoenix, or Ohio, or pretty much all the flyover states

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
What I have is a 2br/2ba condo ... for $1800 a month. Thanks DC! :mad:

What I want is:

joat mon posted:

edit

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What are the up and coming decent places to live in the US that aren't stupid expensive or miserable to live

Like, not Phoenix, or Ohio, or pretty much all the flyover states

Somewhere in a Carolina

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
*sigh*

I pay 2k/month for ONE ROOM in a 3br/3ba place in Manhattan. Granted, the location is great and the space is cool, but I dare not even think about that price in context because that's some kind of Lovecraftian horror to me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Untagged posted:

Somewhere in a Carolina

Asheville?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Deathy McDeath posted:

*sigh*

I pay 2k/month for ONE ROOM in a 3br/3ba place in Manhattan. Granted, the location is great and the space is cool, but I dare not even think about that price in context because that's some kind of Lovecraftian horror to me.

Yeah you have a backyard and are on UWS you dummy, you could have that in the Bronx off the 1 for 35% of the price

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My mortgage is slightly less a month than the rent I was paying to stay in a "luxury" apartment in the good part of the Memphis area.

And I got almost a full acre of land and got it for like 20-25k less than it was valued at and the value has gone up in the two years since we bought.

4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, 2 car garage and almost an acre lot. It's a lot of goddamn house, I mean a lot of goddamn house.. but we like it and I have a little shed/shop off in the backyard that I spend all my time in.

Just put a new 50 year roof on this bitch and got new gutters installed too.

Backyard is a forest so I pay the yard people $200 every month or two to get rid of leaves. Thought that was retarded expensive but the next best quote was $450. It's a big yard and a lot of trees and leaves. And an expensive area.

Originally I just bought a leaf blower and was doing it myself but that just meant spending whole weekends blowing leaves and bagging them.

Anyway I bought in a really nice neighborhood in a really good city, and I'm super happy to not rent anymore.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Shim maybe it's just how insane everything else is these days but you sound like. ..normal

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Deathy McDeath posted:

*sigh*

Jfc I rented a two bedroom off the N in Astoria for half the price in 2010.

Basically what I'm saying is why the gently caress you in Manhattan

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Two Finger posted:

Shim maybe it's just how insane everything else is these days but you sound like. ..normal

I've been on my meds consistently for a few years now.

Bye bye crazy fun Shim and hello boring suburban yuppie Shim.

Also I'm retired and not in school right now because the VA is assholes so I'm essentially a house wife. Except I refuse to clean and I just get stoned as gently caress all day everyday and watch Hulu and Netflix.

I go through a case of Diet Canada Dry Ginger Ale every few days. No caffeine or calories, perfect drink for me. Can't do uppers like caffeine, or even sudafed, or hell even a sugar rush because it makes me manic.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I drink a lot of sparkling water these days. I bought a sodastream and pretty much only drink that. No sodas, no soft drinks. I've considered drinking nonalcoholic beer but... well, it just seems like a slippery slope to me.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I drink wine on occasion- but I stopped being a drinker sometime in 2010-2011. I did controlled drinking after I did rehab and I was fine but honestly now I just hate the feeling of drunkenness anymore. I much prefer weed.

Weed is life. Well, shatter these days, but it comes from weed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I have to wonder if I'd enjoy it if I did start drinking again. I certainly didn't enjoy it in the last year or two of my drinking days.

But I have no doubt that it'd trigger my crazy brain and I'd throw my life away all over again.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, that's a demon you don't want on the doorstep.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nope. Worked too hard at getting clean to ever throw it away.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Welp, the cops just came to my apartment because my Korean roommate decided to attempt to murder us by burning popcorn in the microwave. Explaining to the cop how you gently caress up microwaveable popcorn to the point of an apartment fire was a bit of a challenge. My roommate innocently claimed to have followed what he thought to be the instructions that said "four minutes", when they actually said "most microwaves will finish the product in considerably less than four minutes".

So he just dialled in full blast for four minutes and went to his room.

Cop was like "He knows it's done when the popping noises stop, smoke is generated, and actual fire happens, yes?"

Silver lining: We found out that our smoke detector doesn't detect smoke, despite indicating full-functionality on both old and fresh batteries, so my roommate almost burning the apartment may actually save us in the future. We're also probably not getting charged for the damage, since housing seems somewhat concerned with the fact that it has installed non-functional smoke detectors.

:downs:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

And you were telling me to be wary of my flatmate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ironically also about cooking.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man I'm glad I've never had a roommate that I wasn't married to.

Never heard someone be like "drat glad I've got these roommate!"

It's always bad news and poo poo.

Marriage is too but love paints over the rough parts of living with another person.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Honestly dude I like it. Auckland is crazy expensive anyway so no one can really afford to live here on their own and the people I live with are chill af

And it's nice for me to have a group to come back to after months at sea.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i moved out of my parents house when i got married

i feel very weird about that

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
My daughter nearly burned down my apt complex when she was like 4. She woke up before me and decided she was hungry and put some hot pockets in the microwave. The entire thing. Wrapper and all. No idea how long she set it for but she ran into the bedroom crying to wake me up and the entire livingroom & kitchen was thick black smoke. Smoke alarm did not go off. Fortunately only the microwave was a loss and kept the small fire contained within it. Also fortunate I had a big rear end box fan and could evacuate the smoke in a few minutes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Roomed with HDI for a while. We raised potatoes that sprouted roots from sitting in the pantry too long, petted a neighbor/coworker's dog all the time, played video games, and bought guns.

It was a good time.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The expanse is really good poo poo.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
No Tomorrow is a decent show.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

$2500/month for a 3br/1.5 bath duplex 10 miles outside of Boston.

But it's .5 miles from the commuter rail and my BAH is something like 3300.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
thinking about shaving my awesome beard, cutting my poofy luscious locks, and not looking like a bum anymore.

thoughts?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah--why?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Because I look like one of the Beatles, but with a beard. And my beard is at that point where regular maintenance is required. And that's loving time consuming.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So trim it to a no-maintenance length?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I grew my beard back in after a few years of hiatus. It's kept very short and I like it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My hair doesn't look too bummy if I wear a beanie immediately after washing it until it dries. Then I have wavy browndilocks.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Pics

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I grow a no bullshit Afro if I just grow my hair out. My retiree ID card has a very stoned very Afro'd Shim pic on it.

Jewfro for life. Think maybe you got some Hebrew in you Cole?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
gently caress it why play with fire

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 20, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Monty!

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah you are def not one of gods chosen people, sorry not sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Monty peers into the camera

it's a living

• Locked thread