Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Fangz posted:

also the annoying tory boy should bugger off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Amusing to note that despite all the loving research they clearly put into putting LWA in Somerset they still make an obvious cultural faux pas like having ostensibly British characters bow when apologising. (Assuming Chariot's supposed to be not-Japanese anyway.) Not that I'm particularly bothered by it at all, just find it funny what they get right and what they don't.
I mean, I'm not sure if it's a mistake so much as a shorthand for the audience. They're writing from a Japanese perspective, bowing is visual shorthand for apologizing. if you had the characters apologize without bowing, the audience might assume they're being insincere or something.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I want to see more of what the world is outside of the academy, because if loving magic is apparently "outdated" and "an antique" I assume that science has advanced to a point where you can fly, shoot lasers, teleport, and most importantly turn animals into other animals with NOT magic???

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Xad posted:

I want to see more of what the world is outside of the academy, because if loving magic is apparently "outdated" and "an antique" I assume that science has advanced to a point where you can fly, shoot lasers, teleport, and most importantly turn animals into other animals with NOT magic???

with magic seeming anchored to specific locations, it really doesn't seem like it would be useful to the wider world. science doesn't need to be significantly advanced in a case like that.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

dogsicle posted:

with magic seeming anchored to specific locations, it really doesn't seem like it would be useful to the wider world. science doesn't need to be significantly advanced in a case like that.

I mean, there's still some degree of suspension of disbelief since presumably even if magic was just anchored to specific places/locations metamorphosis/transmutation magic alone is something that could generate ridiculous amounts of normally scarce resources. But really, we're watching a children's show about witch schools, picking too hard at the world building is kind of trite.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Yo I decided I'd wait until it got to Netflix to watch, but the show's still going alright I assume? Figured I ought to check in and see if Imaishi broke into the storyboarding room and added a subplot where they find a set of talking lingerie or something.

He didn't yet, but he is working on episode 8. Looking forward to that one

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Oh. O-...Ohhh!!!! :aaaaa:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

No Shiny Rod? :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There Bias Two posted:

No Shiny Rod? :(

I don't believe they've shown off everything the Nendo comes with yet.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd be shocked if she doesn't get one because Nendos are awesome for accessories, but this isn't Sucy so it's only a 9.5/10.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Good episode tonight. Still wish Akko would improve a bit faster, but this episode was a good step forward.

Also, man, gently caress all these non-Ursula teachers. How the hell does Akko even get into a class you need to be an advanced fish linguist to participate in?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
man that opening bit had me in stitches, solid episode

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, man, gently caress all these non-Ursula teachers. How the hell does Akko even get into a class you need to be an advanced fish linguist to participate in?

I do appreciate how the narrow minded professors and the snobbish students are juxtaposed with the school being on the verge of ruin and the administration having not competent plan to address it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I do appreciate how the narrow minded professors and the snobbish students are juxtaposed with the school being on the verge of ruin and the administration having not competent plan to address it.

Yeah it's clearly intentional. Just talking.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

show's definitely gonna end with the school accepting more students from non-magical backgrounds

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I foresee Akko gaining a little bit of competence just in time for Luna Nova to shut down halfway through the season. Diana said Akko would be leaving the school, and everyone assumes that meant she would be expelled.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

That's the kind of episode I like, just like the broom race one. Kick those drat Tory boys out and keep it that way, Trigger.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

I foresee Akko gaining a little bit of competence just in time for Luna Nova to shut down halfway through the season. Diana said Akko would be leaving the school, and everyone assumes that meant she would be expelled.

Well, something like that would certainly account for Diana's shocked expression, which Akko flunking out won't cause.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Well, something like that would certainly account for Diana's shocked expression, which Akko flunking out won't cause.

I wish they'd done a bit more with Diana in that scene. It seems a little weird that, after having that vision and being visibly surprised by it, we don't see Akko either press for more detail or Diana thinking more deeply about what she'd just seen.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Aurora posted:

Let Ursula Teach Akko

Finally

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
gently caress em up Ursula

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

There were so many good bits in this episode, show of the season IMO

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Why would they even let her register for philosophy? LN seems like a terrible institution.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

it probably said "requires knowledge of piscesian" or something and she ignored it

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Malloc Voidstar posted:

it probably said "requires knowledge of piscesian" or something and she ignored it

It shouldn't be possible to just ignore requirements like that though! Well it's not like the staff has been shown to be particularly bright.

Was that fish Zen-oh from DBS?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Well it seems like they expect you to have learned it on your own, so they probably don't want to have to give 50 students tests on whether they know something they've said they know

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

At least she can speak fish now. That's pretty cool.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Both Akko and Prof. Ursula are cute, and good. Akko's purehearted determination is just so refreshing and always picks me up after a long hard day.

... though I do wish they'd give her a little more depth. The last episode was pretty good, but Akko, I feel, really needs to have a few moments of doubt or reflection or something. Maybe she needs to be faced with how solving every problem by bashing your face against it isn't always the best solution. Something to develop her more as a character than just a hotblooded ball of :ssj: GANBARE!!! :black101:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
As soon as that other student said what the test would be on I was like "Akko's going to get an A by saving some magical creature isn't she?"

Also assassinating the proctor is a bold cheating method.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

God, all of the teachers who aren't Ursula (who is perfect) and Pisces are proper shittos. Maybe if you know she's failing y'all ought to actually teach her how to do things you assholes.

But at least Ursula gets it. :3:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Akko and Deku are pretty much kindred spirits and the parallels in the shows are too much.

LWA just needs a tournament arc already :v:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Akko and Deku are pretty much kindred spirits and the parallels in the shows are too much.

LWA just needs a tournament arc already :v:

that was the broom comp

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Condiv posted:

that was the broom comp

Races don't count :colbert:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Both Akko and Prof. Ursula are cute, and good. Akko's purehearted determination is just so refreshing and always picks me up after a long hard day.

... though I do wish they'd give her a little more depth. The last episode was pretty good, but Akko, I feel, really needs to have a few moments of doubt or reflection or something. Maybe she needs to be faced with how solving every problem by bashing your face against it isn't always the best solution. Something to develop her more as a character than just a hotblooded ball of :ssj: GANBARE!!! :black101:
They already did that with these last two episodes though. Last episode the fountain told her that magic isn't free and showed her images of young Chariot working hard. This episode she has transformed and puts actual effort into her studies instead of believing pure willpower is enough.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Darox posted:

They already did that with these last two episodes though. Last episode the fountain told her that magic isn't free and showed her images of young Chariot working hard. This episode she has transformed and puts actual effort into her studies instead of believing pure willpower is enough.

Yeah she was slacking her studies a lot before episode 6 but now she's studying hard with Ursula as a tutor. And I guess she can speak fish now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

There Bias Two posted:

I think what Diana predicted already happened this episode. She left the school to go to the lake.

Unless the original Japanese meaning of the word they used for "left" doesn't have the connotation of leaving for a short period of time. If anyone can clarify that.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think what Diana predicted already happened this episode. She left the school to go to the lake.

Unless the original Japanese meaning of the word they used for "left" doesn't have the connotation of leaving for a short period of time. If anyone can clarify that.

Horoscopes are vague like Akko said and could probably be applied multiple times in future episodes, like when Akko goes to the local town.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So Akko's been going to magical philosophy class this whole term, just watching everyone stare at the fishbowl and take notes, not even thinking to ask anyone what's going on.

It's a good thing she's taking her academic wake up call seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I think the fact that she came out of that adventure suddenly able to understand fish hints at her underlying talent.

• Locked thread