Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Kaptain K posted:

I'd like to hugely co-recommend this podcast and every other podcast made by this network, they're all my favorite but Thirty Twenty Ten is the best of them and honestly one of the best podcasts out there because it can appeal to almost anyone.

Laser Time can be uneven at times but I love when they stumble onto a particularly rich vein, like the monster party novelty song episode where they just keep finding more and more terrible songs by the same guy who made the Monster Mash as he tried to stretch his one success out over decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
I miss Henry's dry heaves.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kaptain K posted:

Somebody recommend me a daily(ish) podcast that's at least an hour long. I used to listen to Adam Carolla and KATG every day but both of those lost their appeal years ago and I kinda miss having daily consistent content.

Mike O'Meara (of Don and Mike fame) has a pretty radio showish podcast. His politics are democrat but they try to keep politics out of the show and mostly succeed (if anything I wish he'd talk about it more). He's gotten old so some of the issues of him just not getting modern tech or culture are somewhat frustrating, and the show can get formulaic but the show is still overall good to me and at times gets me rolling.

Not sure if this show works for someone who didn't grow up with Don and Mike but it's stood the time with me whereas Adam and KATG did not.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Rick posted:

Mike O'Meara (of Don and Mike fame) has a pretty radio showish podcast. His politics are democrat but they try to keep politics out of the show and mostly succeed (if anything I wish he'd talk about it more). He's gotten old so some of the issues of him just not getting modern tech or culture are somewhat frustrating, and the show can get formulaic but the show is still overall good to me and at times gets me rolling.

Not sure if this show works for someone who didn't grow up with Don and Mike but it's stood the time with me whereas Adam and KATG did not.

I'm a huge Don and Mike fan, but I just couldn't get into the show when Don left. Are Robbay and Buzz still on the podcast?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

This thread turned me on to Doughboys and hardcore history. Thanks thread! Now that the format for Idle Thumbs is changing I'm not finding it as interesting. Can anyone recommend something similar? Basically video game discussions with an eye to their significance and cultural meaning.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Kaptain K posted:

Somebody recommend me a daily(ish) podcast that's at least an hour long. I used to listen to Adam Carolla and KATG every day but both of those lost their appeal years ago and I kinda miss having daily consistent content.

listen to Bennington imo. it's not a podcast but its daily and ron is ok. I haven't listened to the show consistently since Fez left but it was funny.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8j3wzCwyGg

Bennington is like this, a more casual banter show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yf6iqTjTFQ

Ron and Fez was more about listening to all the pathos of humanity be squeezed from a dying elderly gay man.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Alright, here's a hard one:

Any good Chess podcasts? I love the game, but I'm still very much an amateur. It'd be fun to hear some history, stories or advice on the game while at work.

If there's a video podcast, that'd be fine too, I guess.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Gameko posted:

This thread turned me on to Doughboys and hardcore history. Thanks thread! Now that the format for Idle Thumbs is changing I'm not finding it as interesting. Can anyone recommend something similar? Basically video game discussions with an eye to their significance and cultural meaning.

How did the format for IdleThumbs change? I actually started listening because of your post and not really finding a good video game podcast and i'm very much enjoying it. I'm listening from the beginning so i'm on the ones back from like 2008 but I just wanted to know whats changed and when it changed because as of now i'm enjoying it.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Can anyone recommend some good law or legal podcasts?
Not necessarily true-crime stuff, but discussions about influential court cases, how the legal system works, and so on.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
More Perfect has been pretty good, it's all scotus history stories. They launched with 6 episodes last spring/summer and nothing since, but iirc it's still an active project.

PS- I'm liking thirty twenty ten and subscribed so thanks whoever brought that up last page

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 12, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Not necessarily true-crime stuff, but discussions about influential court cases, how the legal system works, and so on.

Life of the Law has some true crime, but the overall theme of the podcast is how the law and legal system interacts with people's lives.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I downloaded an episode of Blurry Photos. It started off with this weird terrible attempt at a comedic radio play, or something. After like five minutes of that I just deleted the episode.

The only episode I listened to was the one about La Llorona (because they are too skeptical for me, haha) and that was a comedic radio play but I thought it was really good!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Amicus talks about supreme court stuff.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The Docket is a pretty in depth discussion of current issues in Canadian law by a criminal defense attorney and his law professor/prosecutor wife.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Hilarious World of Depression is an odd duck. The host talks to comedians about mental health issues, but Mental Illness Happy Hour has been doing that for years.

The host is Generic Man and I don't like how he butchers up the interviews and keeps cutting in with solo narration to explain points his guest is making. Just let the interview flow! The interviews jump from the guest making a point to the host talking, and it takes a moment to realize the host cut that in after the interview and the guest isn't in the room.

The highlight is the quality of guests, they've had Andy Richter and Paul F. Tompkins. I suspect the host is less concerned about promoting mental health, and more about raising awareness that he knows comedians. The AV Club loves it for some reason.

I'm guessing this will fade away in a few months after the host runs out of big name guests. A key strength of Mental Illness Happy Hour is Paul Gilmartin having such a diverse slate of guests, regular people like police or social workers are the most fascinating.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I suspect the host is less concerned about promoting mental health, and more about raising awareness that he knows comedians.

This is all I could think listening to it too

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I just finished listening to the latest episode of The Unresolved and that's renewed my interest in finding a UFO-focused paranormal podcast. I went through the recommendations early in the thread (a couple years out of date at this point), and didn't care for what I found, so I'm hoping that there's something new that folks haven't posted.

Most of the podcasts I've found seem to be trying to follow the Coast to Coast AM format, where each episode features some combination of interviews with authors/personalities and a rundown of the last week/two weeks/month in paranormal news, all of which is presented with absolute credulity beyond maybe "we can't know for sure, but look at how many reports were getting, so maybe there's something there...". I get that there's a specific audience that they're playing to with that format, but it's just not for me. I'd like to think that there's a middle ground between wide-eyed true believer and insufferably smug skeptic, to say nothing of the lack of focus and really poor interviewing skills.

The couple that I've found where individual episodes are centered around a specific topic are done via the unscripted "let's banter about this" format, where the hosts aimlessly ramble around the topic, go through multiple digressions (which are mostly uninteresting and only sometimes related), and maybe, if the stars align, make an interesting point along the way, all while talking about themselves as much as possible. I understand that that is a popular format, and I get why people like it, but it's not for me. No matter how good the chemistry is between the hosts, the more they stay in the background, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I guess I'm asking for a UFO version of Lore, one where the host seems genuinely interested in getting to the bottom of whatever actually happened, and so sprinkles in just enough skepticism to keep me from going "come on, seriously?" while telling a decent story. I grew up watching Robert Stack on Unsolved Mysteries every Wednesday and checking out breathlessly uncritical books from the local library about UFOs, and there's something that is both fascinating and creepy about it, and I'd like something that explores that.

Does any such thing exist?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Brocktoon posted:

I'm a huge Don and Mike fan, but I just couldn't get into the show when Don left. Are Robbay and Buzz still on the podcast?

Robb still is with the show and he's just as Robb as ever. Mike does the news now.

Buzz was with them for a bit but they had some drama and he ended up going and doing his own podcast.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

I just finished listening to the latest episode of The Unresolved and that's renewed my interest in finding a UFO-focused paranormal podcast. I went through the recommendations early in the thread (a couple years out of date at this point), and didn't care for what I found, so I'm hoping that there's something new that folks haven't posted.

Most of the podcasts I've found seem to be trying to follow the Coast to Coast AM format, where each episode features some combination of interviews with authors/personalities and a rundown of the last week/two weeks/month in paranormal news, all of which is presented with absolute credulity beyond maybe "we can't know for sure, but look at how many reports were getting, so maybe there's something there...". I get that there's a specific audience that they're playing to with that format, but it's just not for me. I'd like to think that there's a middle ground between wide-eyed true believer and insufferably smug skeptic, to say nothing of the lack of focus and really poor interviewing skills.

The couple that I've found where individual episodes are centered around a specific topic are done via the unscripted "let's banter about this" format, where the hosts aimlessly ramble around the topic, go through multiple digressions (which are mostly uninteresting and only sometimes related), and maybe, if the stars align, make an interesting point along the way, all while talking about themselves as much as possible. I understand that that is a popular format, and I get why people like it, but it's not for me. No matter how good the chemistry is between the hosts, the more they stay in the background, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I guess I'm asking for a UFO version of Lore, one where the host seems genuinely interested in getting to the bottom of whatever actually happened, and so sprinkles in just enough skepticism to keep me from going "come on, seriously?" while telling a decent story. I grew up watching Robert Stack on Unsolved Mysteries every Wednesday and checking out breathlessly uncritical books from the local library about UFOs, and there's something that is both fascinating and creepy about it, and I'd like something that explores that.

In addition to this, is there a Lore podcast that isn't Lore? After a dozen episodes, I can't stand Mankin's... "This is the clever part" voice patterns/line reads.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Astonishing Legends is the closest to both of those requests but they're hard to get through because the hosts go on such wild tangents that don't have anything to do with anything.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm very happy that Tom Cavanagh is the Flash, but it's hosed up that Mike and Tom Eat Snacks hasn't updated in months.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

HIJK posted:

Astonishing Legends is the closest to both of those requests but they're hard to get through because the hosts go on such wild tangents that don't have anything to do with anything.

You want to know the most amazing thing about astonishing legends? Youtube astonishing legends tv and get ready for a mind gently caress.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Pod Save America is a great podcast from some of the guys that did Keeping it 1600. It's awesome. It's all about modern day politics. Two of the guys used to work for the Obama administration.

Pod Save the World is the sister podcast, and it's all about interviewing people in government about their careers and experiences. Mostly former Obama administration people.

Both are excellent, and heavily left leaning, as you'd imagine.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Azathoth posted:

Have you tried Mysterious Universe? It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but you might like it.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

Pod Save America is a great podcast from some of the guys that did Keeping it 1600. It's awesome. It's all about modern day politics. Two of the guys used to work for the Obama administration.

Pod Save the World is the sister podcast, and it's all about interviewing people in government about their careers and experiences. Mostly former Obama administration people.

Both are excellent, and heavily left leaning, as you'd imagine.

Did anyone else find the recent Manning/Snowden discussion bizarre? Not surprised that they have a problem with Obama whistleblowers but they seemed to be going out of their way to misrepresent the facts and the positions of their critics.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

LizzieBorden posted:

Have you tried Mysterious Universe? It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but you might like it.
i appreciate the recommendation, but that's one that I did try. I got about a quarter of the way through one episode and it was cringe-inducingly bad. It had the aimless rambling I don't like and the hosts were doing the "there must be something there, look at all the reports" about some variety of gnome being sighted. Maybe what I'm looking for exists in the archive behind their paywall, but after hearing what I heard, there's no way that I'm giving them money. Maybe I got them on one of their off days, but the rest of the free episodes didn't seem to have any better focus, based on their description.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Azathoth posted:

i appreciate the recommendation, but that's one that I did try. I got about a quarter of the way through one episode and it was cringe-inducingly bad. It had the aimless rambling I don't like and the hosts were doing the "there must be something there, look at all the reports" about some variety of gnome being sighted. Maybe what I'm looking for exists in the archive behind their paywall, but after hearing what I heard, there's no way that I'm giving them money. Maybe I got them on one of their off days, but the rest of the free episodes didn't seem to have any better focus, based on their description.

Have you tried Open Minds? It's completely UFO focused. The host falls squarely on the believer side, but he's very fair in terms of finding scientific explanations where applicable.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Azathoth posted:

Maybe what I'm looking for exists in the archive behind their paywall, but after hearing what I heard, there's no way that I'm giving them money.

You know, I'm glad that Patreon exists and gives people a way of supporting themselves off of their podcast without having to shill for endless internet subscription services but it's tragic how many podcasts have shot themselves in the foot like this by putting up a paywall on their old content. It seems like all it does is drive away potential new listeners while also not really providing anything new to the existing listeners that are actually supporting you.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Fly Ricky posted:

Have you tried Open Minds? It's completely UFO focused. The host falls squarely on the believer side, but he's very fair in terms of finding scientific explanations where applicable.
I did try it but I didn't care for it, though thank you for the recommendation.

This was the one that I found that was closest to what I wanted, but I just couldn't get past the interviews. I think the problem on that is more with me than with them, as they weren't any better or worse at interviews than a lot of other podcasts that I've tried. The problem that I have is that doing interviews well is a skill and, well, most of the people who try to do interviews just aren't any good at it.

I'm not sure what it is, but I can way more easily forgive a narrator who does bad things (think Aaron Mahnke's Shatnerian dramatic pauses) or who just straight up sounds like an amateur than I do an interviewer who interjects themselves too much or steps on an interviewee's story.

I think this has confirmed what I suspected to be true, that what I'm looking for doesn't exist.

Guy Mann posted:

You know, I'm glad that Patreon exists and gives people a way of supporting themselves off of their podcast without having to shill for endless internet subscription services but it's tragic how many podcasts have shot themselves in the foot like this by putting up a paywall on their old content. It seems like all it does is drive away potential new listeners while also not really providing anything new to the existing listeners that are actually supporting you.

Yeah, the ones that do it right give bonus content to people who donate, but I've run across a couple of other podcasts that lock up all but the most recent episodes and I'll agree that it's a bizarre business choice. I suspect that it works well for niche shows with a rabid, but small, fanbase who aggressively recruits new listeners, but I think you're right that it's a short-term money grab that I can't see as being anything but harmful in the long run.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Since you're a UFO enthusiast have you considered making that Lore-esque podcast?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

evilpicard posted:

Did anyone else find the recent Manning/Snowden discussion bizarre? Not surprised that they have a problem with Obama whistleblowers but they seemed to be going out of their way to misrepresent the facts and the positions of their critics.

wow im shocked that liberal policy wonks are doing this. huh. weird.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The Hilarious World of Depression is an odd duck. The host talks to comedians about mental health issues, but Mental Illness Happy Hour has been doing that for years.

The host is Generic Man and I don't like how he butchers up the interviews and keeps cutting in with solo narration to explain points his guest is making. Just let the interview flow! The interviews jump from the guest making a point to the host talking, and it takes a moment to realize the host cut that in after the interview and the guest isn't in the room.

The highlight is the quality of guests, they've had Andy Richter and Paul F. Tompkins. I suspect the host is less concerned about promoting mental health, and more about raising awareness that he knows comedians. The AV Club loves it for some reason.

I'm guessing this will fade away in a few months after the host runs out of big name guests. A key strength of Mental Illness Happy Hour is Paul Gilmartin having such a diverse slate of guests, regular people like police or social workers are the most fascinating.

I tried giving a listen to Mental Illness Happy Hour, but couldn't really get through an episode. I realize that it provides a service and outlet for people who need one, but I think what makes The Hilarious World of Depression more listenable is that I don't get the impression that John Moe ("Generic Man") is using the podcast itself as therapy. Something about the way Gilmartin talks or gives himself off makes me feel like he's fishing for pity, even when he's really not. I guess it's the same reason I can't really get into Maron's show, though.

The "humblebrag" aspect that you're alluding to seems like a sort of weird thing to count against it, though. Like, would it be different if he had asked his mentally ill friends and acquaintances to be guests on his podcast, but they weren't famous? From what I recall, it actually started with Peter Sagal talking about the concept to John Moe at a party, and he decided to go "well alright" and do the show.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
The Pod Save America guys were really smug about Hillary winning when it was Keepin it 1600, but I still listened because they are p funny and have great access to ~insiders~ and have unique experience that no other podcast has (except myabe the Axe Files, but that's a different format).

I was going to avoid Pod Save America expecting it to just be whining, but they completely own the fact that they were made to look dumb and use words like smug, dismissive, etc to describe themselves so at least they're owning it. Also, they subscribe to the "Bernie would have won" sizzling hot take, and that allows them to talk about the need for an actually progressive D party. They're not completely changed and are definitely centrist Dem party guys, but it's still worth listening to for the politicians, high level federal employees, and journalists they are able to do longish interviews with.

tldr; if you didn't subscribe to PSA when they left the ringer because of their pre-election attitudes, just give it a shot - they're not looking back and justifying things, it's moving along nicely.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Does anyone have any recommendations for podcasts in German? I tried the German language thread but I think it's dead.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Tired Moritz posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for podcasts in German? I tried the German language thread but I think it's dead.
Omega Tau has some, but if you aren't into science & engineering (and aeronautics) you might not be interested.
http://omegataupodcast.net/

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
(Although even [especially?] if you're into comedy you'd probably rather listen to a German talk system design than crack jokes.)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
How about poetry podcasts?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

life is a joke posted:

The Pod Save America guys were really smug about Hillary winning when it was Keepin it 1600, but I still listened because they are p funny and have great access to ~insiders~ and have unique experience that no other podcast has (except myabe the Axe Files, but that's a different format).

I was going to avoid Pod Save America expecting it to just be whining, but they completely own the fact that they were made to look dumb and use words like smug, dismissive, etc to describe themselves so at least they're owning it. Also, they subscribe to the "Bernie would have won" sizzling hot take, and that allows them to talk about the need for an actually progressive D party. They're not completely changed and are definitely centrist Dem party guys, but it's still worth listening to for the politicians, high level federal employees, and journalists they are able to do longish interviews with.

tldr; if you didn't subscribe to PSA when they left the ringer because of their pre-election attitudes, just give it a shot - they're not looking back and justifying things, it's moving along nicely.

Lovett seems to be making the journey to the dark side if not already there. Soon he will be a dry boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Franchescanado posted:

How about poetry podcasts?

Good question. I've been listening to the one from the New Yorker. But it's just two poems, the rest is analyzing :)