Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Rattata has Hyper Fang, Paras has Spore, I don't know what you're talking about. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'm thinking Golbat/Sandslash but I don't want my team filled up by Misty, so I'll have to pick one of the two

Does anyone have a token Water-type idea?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Goldeen or magikarp. Maybe poliwag.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I like Pidgeot a lot, but it is very bad.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Play as a renegade member of team "badguy" here. No Pokemon that aren't encountered in a Team "Badguy" Grunt's repertoire.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ariong posted:

Goldeen or magikarp. Maybe poliwag.

Poliwrath is my favorite lovely gen 1 water type, so do that.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Hope you like poison types!

Though Nidoking, Rhydon, Persian, Electrode, Kadabra, Weezing isn't too bad. You also have Sandslash, Machoke, Magneton, Arbok, Nidoqueen, Dugtrio, Mr. Mime, Golbat, Raticate, and Kangaskhan to choose from. So not a bad selection, really.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Golden Gael posted:

I'm thinking Golbat/Sandslash but I don't want my team filled up by Misty, so I'll have to pick one of the two

Does anyone have a token Water-type idea?

Sandslash is actually good though? At least ingame. And Goldeen I guess since it's a physical attacker like four gens before the physical/special split.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Last Celebration posted:

Sandslash is actually good though? At least ingame. And Goldeen I guess since it's a physical attacker like four gens before the physical/special split.

Water-type and Ice-type were special before the split, and the only physical moves Seaking learns in gen I besides Peck are all Normal-type.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The Golden Gael posted:

Gonna play through Yellow with only lovely Pokemon, like Rattata and Paras

Any other ideas?

Pidgeot is horrible. Gust and Wing Attack were both normal type in gen 1, and he doesn't learn the latter until level 31. And it has a base power of 30. The only flying type move he got at all was Fly.

What I'm saying is use Pidgeot.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

The Golden Gael posted:

Gonna play through Yellow with only lovely Pokemon, like Rattata and Paras

Any other ideas?

Some of the worst Gen 1 Pokemon are, like, Goldeen/Seaking, Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff, Onix, Ekans/Arbok, and Farfetch'd. As for a sixth... Vileplume? Beedrill?

Ironically, Rattata/Raticate and Paras/Parasect are both pretty good, especially for in-game. Raticate gets Hyper Fang, Super Fang, and can learn a surprising number of TM moves. Parasect gets Spore AND Gen1 Slash, which makes is a ghetto-sweeper. Especially if you TM it Sword Dance.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
:):me
:j: my wife

The scene: My wife just knocked out Tapu Koko in the post-elite 4 victory party.

:): It's OK, you can try again later.
:j: What?
:): You can try again later, you don't have to fight the elite 4 again
:j:: I beat him...
:): No...I mean you get another chance to catch him
:j:: ...
:j::... ...
:j::... ... ... I was supposed to catch him?
:):Try to. He was going to be your friend. Don't worry you can try again!
:j:: :cry:
:): It's OK! I just wanted to reassure you
:j::I didn't even think to TRY catching him!
:):...
:j::....
:): It's OK, you can do it later :3:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Pidgeot is horrible. Gust and Wing Attack were both normal type in gen 1, and he doesn't learn the latter until level 31. And it has a base power of 30. The only flying type move he got at all was Fly.

What I'm saying is use Pidgeot.

Wing Attack is Flying, but only has 35BP, so it's basically the same as Fly but without the utility.

For the first 3 gens, you can use whatever you want since all the Pokemon are kinda poo poo and the AI is brain dead. Use whatever you want, you'll be fine.

The main difficulty of Gen 1 is deciding who gets the important TMs, like Body Slam, Earthquake, Ice Beam, etc.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Crosspeice posted:

For the first 3 gens, you can use whatever you want since all the Pokemon are kinda poo poo and the AI is brain dead. Use whatever you want, you'll be fine.

except Unown

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Locke posted:

Some of the worst Gen 1 Pokemon are, like, Goldeen/Seaking, Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff, Onix, Ekans/Arbok, and Farfetch'd. As for a sixth... Vileplume? Beedrill?

Ironically, Rattata/Raticate and Paras/Parasect are both pretty good, especially for in-game. Raticate gets Hyper Fang, Super Fang, and can learn a surprising number of TM moves. Parasect gets Spore AND Gen1 Slash, which makes is a ghetto-sweeper. Especially if you TM it Sword Dance.

your dead, punk

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Drowzee and hypno both completely suck rear end nowadays, not sure about back in gen 1 tho

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

What's the best alolan pokemon that can learn Trick Room?

I want to enter the competition with a 'mon that can help set up for my Crabominable but haven't done a ton of research due to work breathing down my neck.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Parrotine posted:

Oranguru?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Parrotine posted:

I want to enter the competition with a 'mon that can help set up for my Crabominable but haven't done a ton of research due to work breathing down my neck.

You talking about doubles? Oranguru all the way. Have it hold a Mental Herb.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Anything new post-pokebank?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Mr. Locke posted:

Parasect was wonderful in Yellow, both when I played it when it first came out, and when I replayed it a couple years ago. Spore, slash, leech life (in gen 1, bug is strong vs not just psychic and grass, but also poison), and yeah, Swords Dance. Little zombie deserves love :3:

PJOmega posted:

Play as a renegade member of team "badguy" here. No Pokemon that aren't encountered in a Team "Badguy" Grunt's repertoire.

This is a great idea. I had so much fun (and so many headaches) playing Alpha Sapphire in Spanish that I'm going to try playing Y in Spanish as well, and now I have a theme.

If I'm going to be a renegade junior Flare, there's Houndour, Zubat, Gulpin, Electrike, Scraggy, Croagunk, Poochyena, and Purrloin to choose from. :geno:
I like Zu/gol/crobat, so that's one...

...is there a team whose grunts have better variety? Maybe I can be in the witness protection program?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Drowzee and hypno both completely suck rear end nowadays, not sure about back in gen 1 tho

they are psychic, they might be the worst psychic types but they're still prob good just from that typing

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Things Drowzee is:
-Cool
-Good
-My friend

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

You talking about doubles? Oranguru all the way. Have it hold a Mental Herb.

Actually singles too! I'd like to set up with a sturdy pokemon that can Trick Room --》Baton Pass to the crab

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

less laughter posted:

except Unown

I dragged a Unown around through several gyms in Gold on the magikarp principle before I looked it up and realized it was just that bad.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Oranguru and Mimikyu are the Trick-Roomers that come to mind. They both have their advantages, but Kyu will almost certainly get its TR out thanks to Disguise.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Bogart posted:

Oranguru and Mimikyu are the Trick-Roomers that come to mind. They both have their advantages, but Kyu will almost certainly get its TR out thanks to Disguise.

This is great! Thanks for the advice, I'll start training up my Mimikyu

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

Things Drowzee is:
-Cool
-Good
-My friend

-poo poo
-awful
-terrible
-bad

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

thrilla in vanilla posted:

They had higher special attack in Gen 1(they made it their special defense in Gen 2 because that Gen ruined my favorites). It didn't hit as hard as Alakazam, but it could take a hit better.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

they are psychic, they might be the worst psychic types but they're still prob good just from that typing

Psychic has been one of the worst typings for a long rear end time

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

we're talking about gen 1 specifically

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dabir posted:

-poo poo
-awful
-terrible
-bad

-too frequent in PokeGo

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hypno is a pedophile

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
well, it's really that ability than anything else.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oddium posted:

hypno is a pedophile

Maybe in your baka gaijin world

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Munna is better tho?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
how Sandslash climbs a tree

https://twitter.com/CITES/status/832858927977156608

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

oddium posted:

hypno is a pedophile

I like that in a world of soul eating ghosts and sandstorm causing Godzilla monsters hypno is the one that gets a pokedex entry about how dangerous it is

E: like a third of it's dex entries are about it abducting people, wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Hustlin Floh posted:

Maybe in your baka gaijin world

what is it doing with the little girl in the japanese version