Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Not how it works

Nah i'm pretty sure gay stoner immigrant terrorist death squads are mandatory for secession, what the hell are you talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I mean that we pay federal taxes directly to the federal government, the state of California cannot impede it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Rah! posted:

At what point does california just say that it no longer recognizes the authority of the federal government, and stops sending them tax money? I'm sure we have enough gay stoner immigrant terrorist death squads to defend ourselves from federal troops. godammit

How would Sacramento make private businesses not pay their and their employees' federal taxes to Washington?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rah! posted:

At what point does california just say that it no longer recognizes the authority of the federal government, and stops sending them tax money? I'm sure we have enough gay stoner immigrant terrorist death squads to defend ourselves from federal troops. godammit

This is the bed that progressives have made by their categorical opposition of the concept of States' Rights in recent history when it was convenient for their ideological goals, and now they get to lie in it.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 18, 2017

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

It's almost like I wasn't saying exactly what should be or can be done (because i have no loving idea), but was instead expressing my frustration towards a federal government that is happy to gently caress over this state. I thought the gay stoner immigrant terrorist death squads part of that post would have made that clear.

But yeah, somehow stopping money from going to a hostile federal government sounds nice, if it were possible.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

At the Barbara Lee town hall today she said that Californians should expect to have funding cut and be ready and willing to raise taxes to compensate

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

El Mero Mero posted:

At the Barbara Lee town hall today she said that Californians should expect to have funding cut and be ready and willing to raise taxes to compensate

The delicious irony of this is that California has always been a net contributor to the Federal budget, so if Federal taxes are cut and State taxes are raised to compensate, CA will actually benefit.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

silence_kit posted:

This is the bed that progressives have made by their categorical opposition of the concept of States' Rights in recent history when it was convenient for their ideological goals, and now they get to lie in it.
Good point, really regretting ending Jim Crow and segregation now. Too high a cost to bear!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It was thoroughly argued in Sherman v Georgia that the states have the right to suck it

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Lycus posted:

How would Sacramento make private businesses not pay their and their employees' federal taxes to Washington?
You can't make anyone, but you could provide incentives (and some sort of legal protection) to fill out a w4 and to deposit federal taxes in a state run bank. You'd pay your taxes from that account, and the state bank could decide to not cash any checks made to the federal government if it looked like they had enough money to win the concessions they want.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Lycus posted:

Promise Peter Thiel and other cyberpunk technolords a place at the table in the new world order.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
They should, but you know, lying about it

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Thankfully, libertarian captains of industry have proven themselves time and time again to be easily taken in by scams. So I'm hoping for a Red Sun on the backs of failed petty dictators.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I want the Trump administration to be destroyed by a bitcoin scam.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/FoxNews/videos/10155128592566336/

b-roll of the Oroville Dam spillway. I'm no expert on spillways but I think the water is supposed to flow to the bottom not the side.

Also, the emergency spillway had too much sediment and had to stop using it.

FCKGW posted:

In an interesting twist a dozen or so fake news sites similar to and including this one were posting inflammatory news articles ... in promotion of an upcoming movie?

http://www.avclub.com/article/cure-wellness-using-fake-news-sites-viral-marketin-250278

It now redirects to the cureforwellness.com site. 2spooky it was a well done site.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

According to the comments that are flowing in, the dam is falling apart because of illegal immigrants.

E: I'm dumb and so are simulated real time comments.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

CopperHound posted:

According to the comments that are flowing in, the dam is falling apart because of illegal immigrants.

E: I'm dumb and so are simulated real time comments.

The comments I saw were blaming it on Hillary. And the two liberals who live in Oroville I guess.

Basically yeah, comments are bad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Is it time to discuss LA City measures M, N, P, and S yet?

I just received my Sample Ballot and it looks like another set of proposals that kind of sort of do the sameish things (like with the plastic bag initiatives in Nov).

N seems to have a higher tax rate ($80 per $1000 gross), but lacks citizen input.

Kind of concerned that NIMBYism could tank shops if M passes since it has a public hearing component.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Just no on S. It is being funded by a megalomaniac.

I'm not kidding.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Anyone have a good vector for an oldie (mid-30s) and a leftie to get into the Bay Area Punk scene? In the parlance of our times, the "anti-normies" and "LOL Tryhards" attitude has festered into what looks a lot like white nationalism. For obvious reasons I'm not interested in that so I need a reset. Any advice? East Bay preferred.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You are too old for the punk scene, sorry.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The function of old dudes in the punk scene is to own venues and squats and try to acquire sex from young girls in exchange for stories about how you saw operation Ivy at Gilmore.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
With predictable results I hear the 91 expansion has done jack loving poo poo for the general use lanes. Also I really hate that they advertised their wording, "two express lanes and one general use lane added." No, no general use lane was added, it was re labeling the car pool lane as a general lane, and it didn't go any faster than the rest, so no.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

trains

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WdAdB3jdMQ&t=8304s

David Chiu hosting this panel with a frisky crowd - here's my fave of the bunch.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

spacejung posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WdAdB3jdMQ&t=8304s

David Chiu hosting this panel with a frisky crowd - here's my fave of the bunch.

"it is un-American to reward such lazy entrepreneurship"

:drat:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Why did they keep interrupting him?

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Panfilo posted:

Why did they keep interrupting him?

One guy, maga hat, Trump pence shirt, trenchcoat. Sat in the front row, shouted down everyone who walked up and wasn't on his side of the discussion. High fived the rest. He speaks at the podium fairly early in the queue.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

spacejung posted:

One guy, maga hat, Trump pence shirt, trenchcoat. Sat in the front row, shouted down everyone who walked up and wasn't on his side of the discussion. High fived the rest. He speaks at the podium fairly early in the queue.

Ah, I should have known. I only saw the part that was queued up. I was half expecting the interruptor to be some monopoly man slumlord tut-tutting the idea of rent control.

:monocle: "Rent control? Free elections? Empathy? Poppycock!"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Aeka 2.0 posted:

With predictable results I hear the 91 expansion has done jack loving poo poo for the general use lanes. Also I really hate that they advertised their wording, "two express lanes and one general use lane added." No, no general use lane was added, it was re labeling the car pool lane as a general lane, and it didn't go any faster than the rest, so no.

It's been open a single day.

Also carpools can travel in the toll lanes.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 31, 2017

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
I have been on night shift so I don't know what the regular lane travel time through the area is currently but I drove eastbound today around 8am. Westbound was slow from around green river back to somewhere west of Main. That time of the morning it should be backed up to McKinley, easily. Toll lanes were moving freely. Before the project, the carpool lanes were as slow or slower than the regular lanes quite frequently.

I don't get that they only allow entrance at the 15 and green river. The 10 and 110 toll lanes have multiple entrances...

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I've been doing a lot of historical research because it's fun.

I think I'm going to squat on the "Jerryis47again" and other related domains.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bogatyr posted:

I don't get that they only allow entrance at the 15 and green river. The 10 and 110 toll lanes have multiple entrances...

Makes sense for the first part but not through Corona, should have multiple exits. Especially when the I-15 toll roads are going to have multiple entrances and exits.

http://i15project.info

They're not even adding any general purpose lanes though. Construction on that starts next year :suicide:

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 31, 2017

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Watch out folks, Nigel is coming for us.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Necroskowitz posted:

This is the only reasonable proposition I've seen around the Calexit discussion, but I don't want to engage in it because I know it's going to generate pages of useless hypothetical circle-jerking.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Calexit isn't going to happen

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Well, good job saying you don't want to engage in it and then engaging in it, I guess.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I heard Nunes is getting a warm reception at home

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Necroskowitz posted:

im very excited to watch a guy whose sole political experience is hanging around with lily-white oiks in pubs, braying like a posh jackass, try and navigate Californian culture

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Necroskowitz posted:

https://youtu.be/S99ewccvUzQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Lol something even less likely than Prop 13 repeal.