Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Orange Sunshine posted:

How is there not an internal consistency to it?

The youtube critic was saying, "You can't travel back in time and kill your father because time travel doesn't work that way".

His main beef is that the premise of infinite timelines undermines the entire point of Booker being drowned, to which the only explanation Elizabeth offers is the laughably flimsy idea that "some things are always constant".

Orange Sunshine posted:

The various Elizabeths kill Booker so he can't become Comstock, which prevents Columbia from happening and the Elizabeths from existing, so they all disappear.

Elizabeth also lets it slip that Comstock exists in "millions of worlds", which in a game of infinites implies Booker's initial baptism decision has no real bearing on anything whatsoever. By that logic, killing Booker at the end does nothing either lol. Given this nonsense premise, the only way to prevent Comstock from being a thing would be to go even further back in time and presumably kill one of the Lutece's parents before their offspring is even conceived.

You are welcome to buy all this drek but that is one dumb story arc imo.

Homestar Runner fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I'm pretty sure Elizabeth was just fed up with babysitting Booker so she made up some excuse to kill him and then went off to have fantastic adventures without that idiot tagging along.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

New DOOM had terrible music. Just a bunch of loud screeching.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Homestar Runner posted:

His main beef is that the premise of infinite timelines undermines the entire point of Booker being drowned, to which the only explanation Elizabeth offers is the laughably flimsy idea that "some things are always constant".

Elizabeth also lets it slip that Comstock exists in "millions of worlds", which in a game of infinites implies Booker's initial baptism decision has no real bearing on anything whatsoever. By that logic, killing Booker at the end does nothing either lol. Given this nonsense premise, the only way to prevent Comstock from being a thing would be to go even further back in time and presumably kill one of the Lutece's parents before their offspring is even conceived.

This is well explained in the game. Bioshock Infinite's version of infinite timelines has "variables and constants". This is explained in detail, with multiple examples throughout the game. In the very beginning, as the Luteces are bringing Booker on the rowboat, Robert says, "He DOESN'T row", meaning that Booker never rows. Robert tells Booker not to pick number 77, which he picks anyway because Booker always picks number 77. At another point, Robert is wearing some signboard showing that Booker always flips head, and asks him to flip a coin, which comes up heads again.

The baptism is a constant, Booker always either gets baptized and becomes Comstock, or refuses it and doesn't. So it's at this point that the Comstocks can all be killed off, if all the Bookers who accept baptism die.

Again, the youtube critic doesn't like the idea that "infinite" parallel realities could have constants, but that doesn't make it an invalid concept. Parallel realities can work any way you want them to work in fiction.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

my unpopular opinion is that the story of bioshock infinite was good and clever and not racist at all

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Old school sonic games are poo poo and make no sense.

If you want me to go fast give me enough screen real estate to plan my moves so not constantly running into walls.

If you want me to be a platformer do make me so drat fast and don't hide platforms outside of my vision.

Also undertale is poo

Overhyped nerds wanking over an spiritual successor to earthbound. Except they never played earthbound.

Everyone who has tried to convince me of its quality tells me I'm playing it wrong. It is trying to be ikaruga, the Stanley parable and final fantasy all at the same time. Please tell me how I am supposed to play this game when I have no context.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
undertale's ending should just be a hotline displayed on the screen to get help from mental health professionals

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

the hype surrounding Horizon Zero Dawn is 100% artificial and I don't believe anyone is actually looking forward to that game (except, like, video game review people who get paid to be excited about hot new tech products). Plus the studio responsible for it has never done anything even remotely memorable, so there's no reason to believe it's gonna be any less of a boring derivative piece of poo poo than the entire killzone series was. Plus its visual style hinges on 90% of what's on screen consisting of spastically jiggling digital grass and/or ponytails and it generally just looks like the video gamest video game to ever video game.

Like, these are the people who produced that killzone 2 "gameplay demo" in 2005 that still looks better than most ps4 games, why is anyone acting like they somehow gained credibility during the intervening decade???

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Incoming Butthurt: RTS games where you have to frantically gather resources before you can attack some other frantic person are boring games that only spergs and autists like because it gives them some weird feeling of accomplishment. It's not strategic, and there's no good game play. It's just making sure you have enough numbers before you go do something with your numbers. Consider it like going to work and saving money before buying that big meal at Subway on Friday.

Jestery posted:

Also undertale is poo

Overhyped nerds wanking over an spiritual successor to earthbound. Except they never played earthbound.

Everyone who has tried to convince me of its quality tells me I'm playing it wrong. It is trying to be ikaruga, the Stanley parable and final fantasy all at the same time. Please tell me how I am supposed to play this game when I have no context.
I agree that the game was lovely over-hyped nonsense and definitely NOT anything like Earthbound, which was an actual good game and enjoyable. As another goon said in this thread already: it's crap game with good music.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Junk posted:

wait are you serious? All these years I thought they skipped 3 final fantasies for no reason

they did, they skipped 2, 3, and 5

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

burnout 2 is the best arcade racer of all time

fusion is the best wipeout

forza is garbage

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

the bioshock series is irredeemable trash and Infinite still somehow stands out by how loving terrible a game it is.

Wall Balls posted:

burnout 2 is the best arcade racer of all time

it's burnout 3

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

HAT FETISH posted:

the hype surrounding Horizon Zero Dawn is 100% artificial and I don't believe anyone is actually looking forward to that game (except, like, video game review people who get paid to be excited about hot new tech products). Plus the studio responsible for it has never done anything even remotely memorable, so there's no reason to believe it's gonna be any less of a boring derivative piece of poo poo than the entire killzone series was. Plus its visual style hinges on 90% of what's on screen consisting of spastically jiggling digital grass and/or ponytails and it generally just looks like the video gamest video game to ever video game.

Like, these are the people who produced that killzone 2 "gameplay demo" in 2005 that still looks better than most ps4 games, why is anyone acting like they somehow gained credibility during the intervening decade???

It looks like it might be a fun game. *shrug* My only problem with what I've seen is that the game has a draw distance of like two feet. Most of the screen is a blur.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Everyone who dismisses Starcraft's strategy is actually thinking, "Uh, clearly this isn't a strategy game because then I would be winning, since I am of course a natural strategic genius"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zorodius posted:

Everyone who dismisses Starcraft's strategy is actually thinking, "Uh, clearly this isn't a strategy game because then I would be winning, since I am of course a natural strategic genius"

Brood War basically owned people so hard that 90% of RTS games released since have been sold on the basis of "it's okay, we won't own you so hard, you can play this game with old man reflexes, come back!"

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

All the bioshocks are pretty good and people who are mad at them are weird.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

WoW is the only good MMO because it has the most players and the biggest world.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

lazorexplosion posted:

All the bioshocks are pretty good and people who are mad at them are weird.

I baint mad at them. I just think they suck.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

if you disagree with my opinion then you are mad and weird, while i am calm and normal.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

ilmucche posted:

New DOOM had terrible music. Just a bunch of loud screeching.

It isn't too bad but I will concede that the original doom had infinitely better music.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Skeleton King posted:

It isn't too bad but I will concede that the original doom had infinitely better music.

Quake II has the best soundtrack to any FPS ever

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Rutibex posted:

they did, they skipped 2, 3, and 5

no, I played 2 and 3, then 7 came out without 4 through 6

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

all final fantasy games are bad

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
final fantasy tactics is good though?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
i dont remember them making a final fantasy 9 either

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Super Smash Bros Melee is deeper and more technical than Guilty Gear

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Junk posted:

i dont remember them making a final fantasy 9 either

final fantasy 7 had the buster sword, FF8 had the gun sword, and FF10 had the water sword. i do not remember a sword protagonist or a final fantasy 9. this story checks out!

must be the same reason they didnt make windows 9

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Big boobs in videogames are actually awesome.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Big boobs in videogames are actually awesome.

Partially disagree. I like a variety of breast sizes and believe that video games do not offer an adequate variety.

Bodyholes posted:

We cannot be friends.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Partially disagree. I like a variety of breast sizes and believe that video games do not offer an adequate variety.

They usually throw in a flat chested girl for the weirdos like you with your ~tastes~

Videogames are about escapism. I can see normal sized boobs anytime by going outside. In videogames I want to see boobs bigger than the girl's head.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Mods for high-quality nipples and pubic hair in Bethesda games enrich the experience.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a bone to pick posted:

Mods for high-quality nipples and pubic hair in Bethesda games enrich the experience.

back when Bethesda was good they provided this in the base game :(

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rutibex posted:

back when Bethesda was good they provided this in the base game :(

So what you're saying is Bethesda games have always been a PG-13 experience.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
As meh as the ending to Bioshock Infinite was, the Burial at Sea 2 DLC might seriously be the worst mainstream videogame story ever.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bodyholes posted:

Melee is fun but calling it technical is a laugh and all of its biggest proponents are weirdo dorks like this guy.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
having strong opinions about videogames at all makes you a horrible nerd and trying to distinguish yourself from those other horrible nerds because they have the wrong opinions makes you the worst, congratulations.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

We cannot be friends.

Sure we can. Unless you're a Testament main.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

They usually throw in a flat chested girl for the weirdos like you with your ~tastes~

Videogames are about escapism. I can see normal sized boobs anytime by going outside. In videogames I want to see boobs bigger than the girl's head.

I can see women with attractive healthy breasts in my everyday life as well. Normally I don't desire to see them with giant cancerous tumors on their chest, but it's no skin off my back if the people who have this fetish are able to find satisfaction in playing some random game. We all have our own kinks, that's cool. :)

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Sardonik posted:

As meh as the ending to Bioshock Infinite was, the Burial at Sea 2 DLC might seriously be the worst mainstream videogame story ever.

could you give a short synopsis? I love laughing at bioshock.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Getting called a 'pussy human being' by a 13 year old British kid while being poo poo on in Call of Duty is actually an entertaining gaming experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I think the SNES and Genesis were both very good value consoles to have in their day, and if you had either one you were not deprived as a child, and you had a universe of great games to enjoy.