Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Can I get smithing texts for the Gyousha (Spirit defense) set somewhere?

If it's anywhere it's on the Kusirigama Master Duel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Snak posted:

Backstabs count as grapples.

Thanks. I did not know this.

Zaphod42 posted:

The biggest thing is that more ninja or magic gives you both more ability (extra damage) but also more capacity and skill points, which means more spells period, more charges for the same spells; more uses. But for things like fire shot or kunai or whatever, it does increase the damage. And ninja gear tends to give huge bonuses.

By default shuriken and kunai are basically only there as interrupts, kinda like the blunderbuss in bloodborne. But with enough ninja skill you can do serious damage with them, like that video shows. But you have to really stack things if you wanna take down bosses with them.

Thanks. I knew about the increased capacity since I use onmyo magic and have a lot of spells available, but wasn't sure if things like onmyo weapon buffs became more powerful with onmyo points or if you just had more stacks of spells to play with. Am I right in understanding that points in onmyo/ninja will extend buff duration from a talisman or pill and increase damage of targeted abilities like shuriken and magic shots? It sounds like damage goes up for s shot, but not for a buff. Does the buff duration change?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, so there's no way to clear a spot for an inhereted abilities on a divine weapon? So like, that makes inheritance really limited.

Edit: weapon buff duration, and possibly talisman duration in general, does seem to scale with magic. Damage scaling is pretty tame though. I don't think you're going to make an onmyo shot build viable the same way as a ninja build. But you could make a build that slaps discord on with shots, I think.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 20, 2017

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
You can overwrite inherited.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Belzac posted:

You can overwrite inherited.

Right, but my base weapon doesn't have an inheritable ability, so it can just never inherit one?

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I kind of want to try this ninja build, seems potentially cool!

This is the build I have been shilling in the thread. It is pretty hilarious because you have the Iga set which gives you scaling off ninjitsu which means your damage is high thanks to dual scaling for kusarigama, you can absolutely trash humanoid enemies by just hurling a million kunai at them, killing them super easily without even actually engaging them, and thanks the Iga set, if you run out of kunai just pop your living weapon and get a huge chunk back. I love throwing weakness on an enemy and high stance quick attacking with the kusarigama and taking off 1/2 their hp in one combo.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

Obsidian is better assuming you're using Rage, which you should (especially with the mystic art that gives you +damage if you run out of ki) and pairs well with the bear. Kaido is also good, obsidian is just better.

Do you know where I can farm obsidian set?

EDIT: Either set or blacksmith plans

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tellaris posted:

This is the build I have been shilling in the thread. It is pretty hilarious because you have the Iga set which gives you scaling off ninjitsu which means your damage is high thanks to dual scaling for kusarigama, you can absolutely trash humanoid enemies by just hurling a million kunai at them, killing them super easily without even actually engaging them, and thanks the Iga set, if you run out of kunai just pop your living weapon and get a huge chunk back. I love throwing weakness on an enemy and high stance quick attacking with the kusarigama and taking off 1/2 their hp in one combo.

Holy poo poo, I am running this now and it is amazing, it feels like so much cheese in the best way just chucking 50 kunai at a guy

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How does the Dual swords skill Moon Shadow work exactly? I can't seem to do it consistently.

EDIT: Found out my problem: It has to be the FIRST attack of a combo, it wont work if they start blocking halfway through.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 20, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

RatHat posted:

How does the Dual swords skill Moon Shadow work exactly? I can't seem to do it consistently.

you just hit triangle right after you bounce off someone's guard (or a wall) and maybe you'll travel around behind them and hit them, which does a lot of ki damage when they probably block it. sometimes they stand there and take it, sometimes they don't.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

RatHat posted:

In the same way as any other Katana Stevens style sword technique.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am so glad I switched to that ninja build before the final level, it's made all the fights hilarious. If you are specced into dexterity I highly recommend it

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
What the gently caress is wrong with the Centipede boss? Wearing all light armor and only a few lvls above the recommended level, for the mission, he barely did any damage per hit. Is it bugged (heh) or something?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Funny how the duels get easier the farther you get in the game, and it's not just skill. Their moves just keep getting more exploitable.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

JBP posted:

In the same way as any other Katana Stevens style sword technique.

changing my name to Katana Stevens irl

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

And I'm done. 958 deaths in 61 h 58 m, 4.1 million amrita lost. (and 148/150 kodama found :smith: )

I don't think I'm going to NG+ it since I have such a long backlog, but I definitely enjoyed the time I put into it!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Nigulus Rex posted:

Do you know where I can farm obsidian set?

EDIT: Either set or blacksmith plans

Both from the boss that drops them (end of Samurai From Sawayama). It's a 90 second run if you know where you're going, and it's a fast fight (parry him). Otherwise like 30% of axe revenants wear it (60% wear Kaido and 10% wear red demon anyway)

Biggest downside is its nearly impossible to find a divine version of the sword (which you need for set bonus) from a Revenant and unless you get lucky with a boss drop (can drop from any boss in NG+) the best drop chance is off the boss.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I had a rhythm going w/ the dumbass snake and then he hosed me up. I know what to do, but goddamn, one slip-up and bam.
Edit: Complaining works again! :v:

A Bystander fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 20, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wow, this Sawamura castle stage is terrible. I keep getting lost, there's all these jerk-rear end spiders, and that last Kodama took me 25 minutes before I gave up and just used a YouTube guide instead. gently caress you Sawamura castle.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is there a less tiresome way back to bird man or is just go fight the dudes on the way?

Also I'm loving that you get more and more human shape bosses in this game to Ninja Gaiden fight with. Blocking an attack with some certainly that it won't floor you first hit is nice in light armour.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
:siren:Just a warning to folks, be careful starting a new game, it may over-write your progress in your current file!:siren:

Thankfully I rescued my main run from a backup, and hopefully it's one of those hilariously rare things, but figured I'd throw up a warning.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JBP posted:

Is there a less tiresome way back to bird man or is just go fight the dudes on the way?

Also I'm loving that you get more and more human shape bosses in this game to Ninja Gaiden fight with. Blocking an attack with some certainly that it won't floor you first hit is nice in light armour.

There's a shortcut to Saika, although you'll always have to fight or run past the two riflemen in the floor below him.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I find it funny how I tend to spend just as much time fiddling with my gear, inventory and stats as I do killing things.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
What is it with the ocean roars again

I cant seem to help anyone with this stupid level or its boss

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looking back, I'm a little surprised at how underwhelming most of the endgame bosses were to fight. I liked the idea of them and the spectacle, but the only ones that were really good fights were Oda Nobunaga and, to a lesser extent, Edward Kelley. The epilogue boss was definitely better than the normal final boss, but just way too easy to be satisfying. Maybe the divine weapons they give you before you fight him are too strong, I dunno.

The endgame levels were great, but the bosses started getting kinda eh.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

first dlc end of April, some kind of big update probably before then

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is the dragon spirit going to be Seiryu? I want the other two of the four Chinese constellation beasts. And I hope if we ever do get Byakko, it's because we get to revive our Nekomata buddy. After all, his boss form's yokai description does confirm that his white tiger form is Byakko.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Be weird if it weren't

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Welp, all the money I got from NG and NG+ only got me 52 of the 60 blacksmith requests. Wish I'd sold more gear instead of converting to amrita.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Have I'm thinking some of the blacksmith requests are tied to weapon types. Have to mastered every weapon and also forged every weapon?

I don't know, I just have a hunch.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Welp, all the money I got from NG and NG+ only got me 52 of the 60 blacksmith requests. Wish I'd sold more gear instead of converting to amrita.

You've talked to Tome a lot, right?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
How do you get more Umi-Bozu eye stones? I need one for each piece of the Fanatic's set...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do they drop from Umi-Bozu itself, or are they one of those twilight mission-only crafting materials?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

How do you get more Umi-Bozu eye stones? I need one for each piece of the Fanatic's set...

You get 2 from the twilight mission. Which was up yesterday, so you'll have to wait for it to rotate back on. I assume they have a chance of dropping from him, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Righty-ho, video time again!

Only barely scraped this win against Saika - my playstyle's about creating openings to lay down buffs and debuffs, and his style is about denying openings to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvb5X3B-dWA

My weapon skills are coming along pretty nicely, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4kuqAjaJrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4i2UUibkYk

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

You get 2 from the twilight mission. Which was up yesterday, so you'll have to wait for it to rotate back on. I assume they have a chance of dropping from him, though.

Eh, not worth it for a set I'll just upgrade in a couple missions anyway, guess I'll forget it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Darth Walrus posted:

Only barely scraped this win against Saika - my playstyle's about creating openings to lay down buffs and debuffs, and his style is about denying openings to you:

When he is in the air, feed his face a kunai or shuriken. This stuns him and he drops to the ground. If you are fast enough you can do iai strike / sign of the cross and a final blow to him. Makes the fight super quick and easy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Eh, not worth it for a set I'll just upgrade in a couple missions anyway, guess I'll forget it.

Yeah, honestly, don't bother crafting until NG+. Once you're in NG+ you can craft divine gear which is much easier to keep up-to-date with your own level (and, in fact, that's what you're supposed to do). Gear is disposable in NG and much less so in NG+, basically. Don't even chase set bonuses in NG. In NG+ it's really easy to maintain a set bonus (even easier if you get the "-1 set piece required" magatama) so go nuts there, but treat set bonuses as neat little side bonuses when you're lucky enough to have the pieces it requires.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

When he is in the air, feed his face a kunai or shuriken. This stuns him and he drops to the ground. If you are fast enough you can do iai strike / sign of the cross and a final blow to him. Makes the fight super quick and easy.

I use magic, rather than ninjutsu, so it's elemental shots I use for that, as you can see in the video. My problem is that his ranged attacks, lock-breaking dodges, and so on don't give me adequate windows to pile on the magic I need to level the playing field, or heal if he eats too far into my health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

My weapon skills are coming along pretty nicely, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4kuqAjaJrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4i2UUibkYk

I can't watch your video right now, but I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance. I think it would be more accurate to say that Saika is about forcing you to create your openings. He doesn't give you any, but once you learn you can stun him, the fight becomes about denying him. Which is really cool.

Edit: ^ I beat him with a magic build also, but I dipped 1 point into ninjutsu for kunai. They throw so much faster than magic shots.