Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BWV
Feb 24, 2005

For years my dad has called me to talk Raptors basketball and he always says something like "the Raps should just trade for a guy like Cousins". And I say, "Dad, you can't just trade a bunch of magic beans and garbage for one of the best big men in the league."

I should have a kid one day so he get owned as hard as I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/therealbradg/status/833609118061465601

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

This is a weird thing to wake up to. How could 28 other teams not put together a better package than that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

This is a weird thing to wake up to. How could 28 other teams not put together a better package than that.

Apparently some did but they really wanted Buddy.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Rick posted:

Apparently some did but they really wanted Buddy.

This is the first big payoff to all of dokmo's Buddy posts this year.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

buddey

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Congrats to NOLA I guess. Boogie and The Brow is going to be awesome to watch.

a nigga who smoke
Feb 26, 2007

coughin' and chokin' constantly

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I'm more astonished that instead of this being a focal point, garbage rear end AM sports talk is focused on them not retaining Jimmer Fredette.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Holy poo poo, I didn't realise Cousins has a whole other year on his deal, I thought he was a FA this summer. Jesus Christ why did no-one else offer anything meaningful for him? What are Boston and Portland playing at?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
My internet didn't work this morning, but now I am back online and what the gently caress just happened?!

edit:

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/833542060691058693

Oh, ok!

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 20, 2017

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

a nigga who smoke posted:

I'm more astonished that instead of this being a focal point, garbage rear end AM sports talk is focused on them not retaining Jimmer Fredette.

That's future Chinese Basketball Association MVP Jimmer Fredette mister.

a nigga who smoke
Feb 26, 2007

coughin' and chokin' constantly
Brother when you tell me I might be able to get a statue of a Mormon in China, I don't shy away. I ask for seconds.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
yo Kibner this was a great weekend.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

tarbrush posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't realise Cousins has a whole other year on his deal, I thought he was a FA this summer. Jesus Christ why did no-one else offer anything meaningful for him? What are Boston and Portland playing at?

This was me until an hour ago. For some reason I thought cousins was expiring.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Hypothetically speaking, if the Kings had signed Boogie to the supermax, they could still have traded him for a basically comparable package, right?

God the Kings are dumb

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Check out Buddy when Buddy get up.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Vivek is a disgrace

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This is such a bizarre thing to wake up to.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Paul Zuvella posted:

Check out Buddy when Buddy get up.

He ain't even get up that far

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

*buddy gets up, turns into Demarcus Cousins*

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

tarbrush posted:

Hypothetically speaking, if the Kings had signed Boogie to the supermax, they could still have traded him for a basically comparable package, right?

God the Kings are dumb

Well, in theory, he'd be even more valuable since his prime was locked down.

However, Cousins would get an automatic no-trade clause for one year after signing the deal. He also would be eligible for the full no-trade clause after that (since he would have been with the Kings at least 8+ seasons), but he'd have to negotiate that.

So if they thought that they weren't going to get that extension signed without having to give up the no-trade clause, then this week was the last time they had decent leverage to trade him. They probably would've had significantly less leverage going into this offseason simply because historically teams have not done great the summer before a guy hits UFA (even though everyone but Dwight Howard has re-signed to the team they were traded to).

Although, with all that said, they got a deal worse than teams get in situations where they theoretically have bad leverage (the Dwight Howard trade is probably worse if the Lakers end up being able to skip out on sending Orlando the 2019 pick, but other than that).

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
He'd have to sign a new contract to get a ntc, right? Dunno how much they changed in the new CBA.

As much as this is great for the Pels, the rest of their roster is still a horror story of long bad contracts (with honorable exemptions for Jrue and Omri). Plus they have no picks left. How do they get better?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

tarbrush posted:

He'd have to sign a new contract to get a ntc, right? Dunno how much they changed in the new CBA.

As much as this is great for the Pels, the rest of their roster is still a horror story of long bad contracts (with honorable exemptions for Jrue and Omri). Plus they have no picks left. How do they get better?

I believe so. I suspect (because the CBA FAQ does not clarify) you have to qualify for it before you can negotiate it. It doesn't seem like guys have managed to tack it onto the end of their second NBA contract even if it runs into their eighth year in the league. So I don't think he would've had one next season without negotiating it through a regular extension or getting a year automatically with the super max.

Rick fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 20, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

New Orleans def going to have to really try and resign jrue at this point right.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

tarbrush posted:

They have like 30 million a year tied up in E'Twaun Moore, Solomon Hill, and Asik for 3 more years, which isn't really a horror story, and then everyone else on the roster is getting like $5 million a year or less on shorter deals. And the only picks they gave up were for 2017.

Jota fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 20, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Congrats to NOLA I guess. Boogie and The Brow is going to be awesome to watch.

Yeah, this is exciting for the NBA. If I were a Pelicans fan (do those exist?) I wouldn't care about what happens next season (but it sure sounds like they're all-in on keeping Boogie). This is going to be a really exciting combo assuming they stay healthy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
As for how the Pelicans get better, well, they have 20 million in cap space next year if the cap increase hits even some pessimistic projections. They have struggled to attract free agents but this certainly sweetens things a bit.

Of course, this free agency class is heavily slanted towards vets who will be trying to get one last payday from the team they're on now. Gordon Hayword might be in play although I haven't thought if the new CBA makes that unlikely. So then it's Millsap and…?????

Well, maybe they can put a call in to Chris Paul if the Clippers flame out again. That would be a nice story.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

euphronius posted:

New Orleans def going to have to really try and resign jrue at this point right.

We were already going to.

Unless CP3 sees the situation and decides to hop ship or something. But that's very unlikely.

tadashi posted:

Yeah, this is exciting for the NBA. If I were a Pelicans fan (do those exist?) I wouldn't care about what happens next season (but it sure sounds like they're all-in on keeping Boogie). This is going to be a really exciting combo assuming they stay healthy.

Kibner and I definitely exist. Kibner even goes to the games!

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Rick posted:

As for how the Pelicans get better, well, they have 20 million in cap space next year if the cap increase hits even some pessimistic projections. They have struggled to attract free agents but this certainly sweetens things a bit.

Of course, this free agency class is heavily slanted towards vets who will be trying to get one last payday from the team they're on now. Gordon Hayword might be in play although I haven't thought if the new CBA makes that unlikely. So then it's Millsap and…?????

Well, maybe they can put a call in to Chris Paul if the Clippers flame out again. That would be a nice story.

The cap is currently estimated to be around $103 million so with Boogie's contract and Jrue's cap hold it could end up being more like $10-12 million in cap space.

Jota fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 20, 2017

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Jota posted:

The cap is currently estimated to be around $103 million so with Boogie's contract and Jrue's cap hold it could end up being more like $10-12 million in cap space.

It's basically assumed we're stretching Asik, too, as awful as that's going to be. Still the best option since no one's going to trade for that joke of a contract. But cap space is cap space.

Cav
Jun 7, 2002

I'm a (3 star) Highway Star.

WhyteRyce posted:

Beans, thisdude, Cav, and larrydigital where are you in my time of need

Sup.

My condolences. :(

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Do you have a script that replies this or..?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The Kings have to be the worst team at evaluating talent in the league right now. This isn't a good trade but it's not the worst one in recent memory, see the Nets KG/Pierce trade.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

So Boogie isn't getting the super max anymore but will he get more money if he resigns with the Pelicans next season than if he goes somewhere else?

I ask this because his agent was saying that Demarcus wouldn't sign with a team that traded for him.

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/833532438366154754

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

So Boogie isn't getting the super max anymore but will he get more money if he resigns with the Pelicans next season than if he goes somewhere else?

I ask this because his agent was saying that Demarcus wouldn't sign with a team that traded for him.

Summer extension does not equal resign. Cousins is under contract next season, he has very little reason to sign an extension. NO will be able to offer him the biggest deal in Free Agency and the smart thing for Cousins to do is wait until then and not sign an extension, he'll likely make more money.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Boogie is basically in the situation where he can choose the 5 year max with New Orleans or go somewhere else for the 4 year max. It depends on how much he values that extra year of guaranteed money, or how good the Pelicans are. All the Summer Extension thing means is he is leaving his options open to see what happens in 2018 before he decides where to sign. I imagine if the team turns out really, really good next year he'd take the combo of winning + making the most money.

That's a big if, though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Boogie is basically in the situation where he can choose the 5 year max with New Orleans or go somewhere else for the 4 year max. It depends on how much he values that extra year of guaranteed money, or how good the Pelicans are. I imagine if the team turns out really, really good next year he'd take the combo of winning + making the most money.

That's a big if, though.

New Orleans can give him bigger yearly raises. It'll be an 8 figure difference even over just the 4 years.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

what in tarnation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Gonz posted:

Real Life Vlade Divac: Dumber than videogame Vlade Divac!

Kings' GM in 'NBA 2K17' won't make DeMarcus Cousins deal with Pelicans

dang yet another superteam like the Warriors, Spurs, Knicks and Bulls

• Locked thread