Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just want Mass Effect 3 multiplayer on the PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
What, you expected the Sony AAA open world game to get bad reviews?
After watching the whole game get streamed it really looks average more than anything. It's a shame they messed up a concept as good as "you fight giant robot dinosaurs that rule the world".

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The averageness just feels more damning when everyone was hyping up it up, especially for the visuals.

Which are nice, at first glance, until you see someone talk, or notice how overbearing the fog is compared to other open world games, and see how tedious the combat is, and it all just feels like all the lovely cruft barely hidden by pretty distractions.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Mass Effect 3 is the superior Bioware game despite it being only half a good game and half an awful one. Dragon Age 2 is just that bad.

Having said that, I'm adopting a wait and see approach with Andromeda. I like the ideas and concept behind what they've shown so far, but I just don't trust modern Bioware to not completely gently caress it up.

I got fooled by the positive reception to the last Dragon Age so I'm taking a wait and wait approach.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

well Horizon's first reviews are glowing.

which honestly after everything I've seen of it leaves me going "How?"
It's The Witcher 3 with robot dinosaurs?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have said before in various chat threads that Mass Effect 3 is my favourite of the trilogy but entirely due to playing it a year after Citadel was released. Not only that, but the choices I made and treating Citadel as the epilogue (which was recommended in the thread) gave me such a fitting end to the trilogy. The biggest issue with Mass Effect is probably that the game is, really, so very diverse and I somehow took a route through all 3 that was cohesive, entertaining and appropriate for how the story concluded.

I know for a fact that very, very few people would have played it the way I did (and so long after the fact) which meant that my experience was a complete outlier. It makes me sad that I seemed to have the experience Bioware wanted and very few others did but that was always going to be an issue with a lowkey 360 exclusive suddenly becoming hugely popular and a mandate from EA telling them to make the third one inclusive to players who'd never seen the first two.

I will always appreciate what Bioware were attempting with it because I don't really recall any other game trying the same thing before them (please correct me if I am wrong!) and I hope Andromeda is as excellent fun as I found the original trilogy.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Horizon review embargo has lifted, looks like it's a hit. (88 average on Metacritic)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DA:2 should've been a VN/adventure game :v:

Also it has a extremely incomplete ending.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It still would have had completely awful characters other than two.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Glad Horizon is reviewing well. The latest stuff had me worried it might have been an disappointment.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I know nothing about Horizon but Giant Bomb giving it a 5 makes me want to check it out.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

HGH posted:

It's a shame they messed up a concept as good as "you fight giant robot dinosaurs that rule the world".

The reviews seem to indicate it wasn't messed up I guess? Horizon and Doom being much better than expected seems to be proving than analyzing the same couple sets of clips and nay-saying into echo chambers is unproductive. Though I guess there is something to be said for lowered expectations and pleasant surprises over abject disappointment.

Which is exactly why I'm wait and see with Mass Effect with a D: face going on.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I am someone who cares about at least the aggregated review scores so I'm going from maybe not to probably on Horizon.

But I'll also be busy playing SRW and Nier.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VideoGames posted:

I have said before in various chat threads that Mass Effect 3 is my favourite of the trilogy but entirely due to playing it a year after Citadel was released. Not only that, but the choices I made and treating Citadel as the epilogue (which was recommended in the thread) gave me such a fitting end to the trilogy. The biggest issue with Mass Effect is probably that the game is, really, so very diverse and I somehow took a route through all 3 that was cohesive, entertaining and appropriate for how the story concluded.

I know for a fact that very, very few people would have played it the way I did (and so long after the fact) which meant that my experience was a complete outlier. It makes me sad that I seemed to have the experience Bioware wanted and very few others did but that was always going to be an issue with a lowkey 360 exclusive suddenly becoming hugely popular and a mandate from EA telling them to make the third one inclusive to players who'd never seen the first two.

I will always appreciate what Bioware were attempting with it because I don't really recall any other game trying the same thing before them (please correct me if I am wrong!) and I hope Andromeda is as excellent fun as I found the original trilogy.

The ending wasn't at all what most of Bioware wanted, reputedly. The head writer told everyone to pound sand while he wrote it himself in a locked room. It also obliterates the entire point of the Paragon route showing it's entirely possible for organics and synths to live in harmony.

The Extended Cut dlc was the remaining writers making an admirable attempt to salvage the flaming wreckage into something coherent.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The 1.05 patch for FF15 claims it can run at 60fps on the Pro in light mode. It sure doesn't seem like it to me though.

Edit: definitely not in the city but once I got out on the road, maybe. Haven't been in combat yet though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 20, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Samurai Sanders posted:

The 1.05 patch for FF15 claims it can run at 60fps on the Pro in light mode. It sure doesn't seem like it to me though.

Edit: definitely not in the city but once I got out on the road, maybe. Haven't been in combat yet though.

It definitely doesn't seem to hit it a lot and frame pacing makes it look choppier than it actually is.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The ending wasn't at all what most of Bioware wanted, reputedly. The head writer told everyone to pound sand while he wrote it himself in a locked room. It also obliterates the entire point of the Paragon route showing it's entirely possible for organics and synths to live in harmony.

The Extended Cut dlc was the remaining writers making an admirable attempt to salvage the flaming wreckage into something coherent.

I did absolutely everything across all three games as a renegade. I played the biggest ruthless, gets the job done in any way possible Shepherd and went with destroy as my choice. It all fit in with how I expected my character would be.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm just glad that morality systems (whatever they are called in-game) are mostly gone from games these days. They were the colored lighting of the late 2000s/early 2010s.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
infamous did them well I think? Of course you had to go either full evil or full good to get the full experience.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sefal posted:

infamous did them well I think? Of course you had to go either full evil or full good to get the full experience.
I didn't think so. Lots of the individual choices it gave you were false-dichotomy bullshit.

And also like you said, the game doesn't reward mixing and matching responses based on the situation, only going all-in one way or the other, which means you might as well just have the player choose an alignment from the beginning and not have any other choices in the game.

edit: ME2 and 3 tried to obfuscate this by having two separate bars but in the end it's the same thing....right up until the ending of the series ignores it all anyway. I'm glad it's dead and if anything replaced with "did this character/group like what you did?" systems.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 20, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

No, they stunk badly because you had to choose a path and never deviate from it. Otherwise you arbitrarily hosed yourself out of the top-level power.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The Eurogamer review of Horizon says its decent but a bit uninspired and generic :/

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

spudsbuckley posted:

The Eurogamer review of Horizon says its decent but a bit uninspired and generic :/

Whilst I was wondering if it might turn out good as most reviews say, this opinion was the one I was expecting to see.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The ending to Mass Effect 3 involves the player being badly injured and walking slowly down a hallway which is always fun in videogames.

Mass Effect the first had the best villain.

Metal gear solid 4 did it first.

Then helped by doing an awesome fist fight after.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Listening to Gamestop's review of Horizon, is Alloy's name really pronounced with a long A?

edit: or as always with dialect stuff, is MY dialect the weird one for pronouncing alloy with a short A?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 20, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Is someone going to make a Horizon thread now that we know the game is good?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Ineffiable posted:

Metal gear solid 4 did it first.

Then helped by doing an awesome fist fight after.

That is one of my favorite MGS Fights. How the lifebars change while fighting was pretty good.

Hmm yeah I guess I can't call any other morality game that did it well.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Samurai Sanders posted:

Listening to Gamestop's review of Horizon, is Alloy's name really pronounced with a long A?

edit: or as always with dialect stuff, is MY dialect the weird one for pronouncing alloy with a short A?

Aloy, not alloy. Alloy is when you combine two kinds of metal, and is pronounced the way you're pronouncing it. Aloy is some dumb future name that can be pronounced however Guerilla wants to pronounce it.

I've always assumed this would be a metaphor or something. Or maybe not.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I love that all but two reviews of Horizon are very positive, but people in here are like, "Too bad they hosed it up!!!"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean everyone deemed a game awful trash because of one badly designed cutscene so

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Wendell posted:

I love that all but two reviews of Horizon are very positive, but people in here are like, "Too bad they hosed it up!!!"

I think I'm getting senile what I remember reading was more 'Oh I thought this was going to suck but everyone says its good, neat-o'

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Horizon review embargo has lifted, looks like it's a hit. (88 average on Metacritic)

It's two months into 2017 and Horizon: Zero Dawn and Nioh are the two best reviewed $60 retail games. Last year, the best reviewed $60 game was Uncharted 4 and the worst reviewed $60 game was Star Ocean 5.

Blackfyre posted:

Whilst I was wondering if it might turn out good as most reviews say, this opinion was the one I was expecting to see.

A few reviews say it takes after Ubisoft style open world games. I can see that being a deal breaker for some.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Blackfyre posted:

I think I'm getting senile what I remember reading was more 'Oh I thought this was going to suck but everyone says its good, neat-o'

Yes, people react in a glorious rainbow of different ways. I'm not saying the thread is a hivemind!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sunning posted:

It's two months into 2017 and Horizon: Zero Dawn and Nioh are the two best reviewed $60 retail games. Last year, the best reviewed $60 game was Uncharted 4 and the worst reviewed $60 game was Star Ocean 5.

What is this supposed to imply?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

I mean everyone deemed a game awful trash because of one badly designed cutscene so

That was because most open-world games build out of a toolkit and standardized assets, so what you see in one is a pretty safe bet on what's in all/most of them. It apparently not being the case is perfectly fine by me :shrug:. Won't be picking it up til well after Breath of the Wild, but I wanna climb one of those big Radar Giraffes.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
For games with frame rate issues, is it better to install on the hard drive or to get the disc? Assume 'just avoid' isn't one of the options.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Oxxidation posted:

What is this supposed to imply?

Horizon and Nioh are reviewing very well?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Abugadu posted:

For games with frame rate issues, is it better to install on the hard drive or to get the disc? Assume 'just avoid' isn't one of the options.

Zero difference. All games install to the drive anyway.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can't stand open world games in general so I am good to just go ahead and skip Horizon Zero Dawn, I won't enjoy playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

spudsbuckley posted:

Eurogamer says that for every game.

Europe must be a really depressing place.