Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Good morning games chat thread. Today is President's Day in America, which means I don't have to work. It also officially marks the first nationally recognized holiday honoring Donald John Trump. Because this fact makes me want to commit high treason, I will instead share some of my Steam keys from the Freedom Humble bundle and things I've had laying around. PM if you want the code for one of these games, and later today I'll post the rest in the Steam code sharing thread.

On the table are:
2064: Read Only Memories
Chroma Squad
Guacamelee! Gold Edition
Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition
Invisible, Inc.
Mini Metro
No Time To Explain
Nuclear Throne
Octodad Dadliest Catch
The Stanley Parable
Stardew Valley
Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP
System Shock Pack
Uncanny Valley
Labyrinthine Dreams

and here's one I accidentally generated the code for despite already owning the game, so it's free for the fastest.
Day of the Tentacle: 5DBTT-AJR*H-*BCAC where * is the second capitalized letter in my username.

First come first serve and since I'm not working I won't be in front of my computer all day, so keep that in mind.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Sakurazuka posted:

KI is on PC too.

Also I haven't played it but the old games were some the worst lovely me-too Mortal Kombat clones of the era.

Heres my controversial opinion... I didn't find Rare all that great back in the day. I've always assumed it was something my end that wasn't clicking. Goldeneye and DKC I really enjoyed (PD by extension but I didn't like it as much as Goldeneye for many reasons) but I really wouldn't have been fussed if that was all they ever made.

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

free for the fastest.

cheers mate

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Blackfyre posted:

Heres my controversial opinion... I didn't find Rare all that great back in the day. I've always assumed it was something my end that wasn't clicking. Goldeneye and DKC I really enjoyed (PD by extension but I didn't like it as much as Goldeneye for many reasons) but I really wouldn't have been fussed if that was all they ever made.

Perfect Dark was always better than Goldeneye and has held up much better. We run a monthly local multiplayer day down a bar and Goldeneye always gets set up and folks always remark on how badly its aged

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blackfyre posted:

Rare sucks and DKC2 is the closest they've come to making a good game and that's only 'okay'.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Name a perfect game.

Kid Icarus: Uprising
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario RPG
Donkey Kong Country 2
Banjo-Kazooie

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

LawfulWaffle posted:

Good morning games chat thread. Today is President's Day in America, which means I don't have to work. It also officially marks the first nationally recognized holiday honoring Donald John Trump. Because this fact makes me want to commit high treason, I will instead share some of my Steam keys from the Freedom Humble bundle and things I've had laying around. PM if you want the code for one of these games, and later today I'll post the rest in the Steam code sharing thread.

On the table are:
Nuclear Throne

First come first serve and since I'm not working I won't be in front of my computer all day, so keep that in mind.

Don't have PM, any way I could get Nuclear Throne? Cheers!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Thief: The Dark Project

Can't be perfect since t2 is better

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
DKC2 is a top 3 best platformer ever for me. I could take or leave the rest of the franchise though.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

what th

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tropical freeze is better than dkc2

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

LawfulWaffle posted:

Good morning games chat thread. Today is President's Day in America, which means I don't have to work. It also officially marks the first nationally recognized holiday honoring Donald John Trump.

President's Day is honoring George Washington's birthday, Trump Day hasn't been officially adopted yet.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

oddium posted:

tropical freeze is better than dkc2
DKC2 has far better difficulty balance, with fewer sections where it's "well I hope you make it through this in one try because if you die and lose your partner you might as well start completely over." I don't feel like I've aged 10 years after beating a DKC2 level like I did with Tropical Freeze.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

President's Day is honoring George Washington's birthday, Trump Day hasn't been officially adopted yet.

Phew. Thank you for that fact.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Don't have PM, any way I could get Nuclear Throne? Cheers!

I don't see why not. Post your SteamID and I'll send it there.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Fun fact: both George Washington and Martin Luther King Jr. celebrated their birthdays on a different Monday each year so they could have an excuse to have a three-day weekend.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

mfcrocker posted:

Perfect Dark was always better than Goldeneye and has held up much better. We run a monthly local multiplayer day down a bar and Goldeneye always gets set up and folks always remark on how badly its aged

I realize it's probably not the reason anyone is dicking around with these games in 2017 but Goldeneye's single player campaign has aged a lot more gracefully than Perfect Dark's proto-Human Revolution fever dream.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Snackula posted:

I realize it's probably not the reason anyone is dicking around with these games in 2017 but Goldeneye's single player campaign has aged a lot more gracefully than Perfect Dark's proto-Human Revolution fever dream.

I tended to play PD's single player for the awesome soundtrack over the shonky as heck storyline

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sakurazuka posted:

Rare sucks and DKC2 is the closest they've come to making a good game and that's only 'okay'.

This is the worst opinion yet.

Rare's hardly perfect, Battletoads and Battletoads In Battlemaniacs are straight up bad games, and Donkey Kong 64 and Donkey Kong Country 3 are pretty flawed, and they made a bunch of forgettable licensed games, but Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Battletoads and Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team are some of the best games of their generation, and nothing can take away from that.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Lurdiak posted:

Rare's hardly perfect, Battletoads and Battletoads In Battlemaniacs are straight up bad games, and Donkey Kong 64 and Donkey Kong Country 3 are pretty flawed, and they made a bunch of forgettable licensed games, but Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Battletoads and Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team are some of the best games of their generation, and nothing can take away from that.

Lurdiak posted:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

LawfulWaffle posted:

Phew. Thank you for that fact.

I don't see why not. Post your SteamID and I'll send it there.

Awesome, thanks a lot! :D

http://steamcommunity.com/id/EdmondSA/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

when the hell did DKC3 get onto the same tier as DK64 for just not being as good as 2?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Phantasium posted:

when the hell did DKC3 get onto the same tier as DK64 for just not being as good as 2?

I didn't mean to imply they're both equally flawed, but DKC3 is a pretty big step down from the first two games in my opinion.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak is right about Rare but I like DKC3 a lot (it's probably better than DKC1 even idk)

Tropical Freeze is my favourite and I hope there's a Switch DKC someday

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

On the table are:
2064: Read Only Memories
Chroma Squad
Guacamelee! Gold Edition
Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition
Invisible, Inc.
Mini Metro
No Time To Explain
Nuclear Throne
Octodad Dadliest Catch
The Stanley Parable
Stardew Valley
Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP
System Shock Pack
Uncanny Valley
Labyrinthine Dreams

and here's one I accidentally generated the code for despite already owning the game, so it's free for the fastest.
Day of the Tentacle: 5DBTT-AJR*H-*BCAC where * is the second capitalized letter in my username.

i would gladly take nuclear throne or invisible inc off your hands but i dont have pms

email is leyvonx at gmail.com

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Retro will make a Metroid game where you go down to the planet Kong and team up with all your pals to take back your country.

Metroid Primate.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

Lurdiak is right about Rare but I like DKC3 a lot (it's probably better than DKC1 even idk)

Man I still need to play Tropical Freeze. Gotta put that Wii U to use before it becomes obsolete.

Phantasium posted:

Retro will make a Metroid game where you go down to the planet Kong and team up with all your pals to take back your country.

Metroid Primate.

:eyepop:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Metroid Primate.

:tinfoil:

Lurdiak posted:

Man I still need to play Tropical Freeze. Gotta put that Wii U to use before it becomes obsolete.

it is extremely good

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Phantasium posted:

Metroid Primate.

What about taking the setting seen in the Mario Odyssey trailer further into the future and doing a new new FPS: Perfect Donk

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

what am i looking for here. the crate

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh i see it now

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

DK art game lookin p good

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lurdiak posted:

Battletoads isn't "straight up bad" dude come on. Sure they aren't the best beat-em-ups out there, but they're still playable and can be fun despite their flaws. Also you forgot Blast Corps hth

Also the most underrated Rare game is Snake Rattle & Roll. It's the only game in which I accept isometric precise-platforming.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Also the most underrated Rare game is Snake Rattle & Roll. It's the only game in which I accept isometric precise-platforming.

I used to have a lot of nostalgia for that game but then watched somebody cheat through all the levels (since I had never been good enough to get past like level 4 or 5) and the latter half of that game's level design is just trash.

The last boss is just another foot and if you stop hitting him at any point he recovers all his health.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Battletoads is one of the most technically impressive games on the nes and the gameplay variety and inventiveness in it is completely crazy for its time, it's just so hosed up hard that no one ever gets to see all that stuff.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Battletoads is garbage.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

I used to have a lot of nostalgia for that game but then watched somebody cheat through all the levels (since I had never been good enough to get past like level 4 or 5) and the latter half of that game's level design is just trash.

The last boss is just another foot and if you stop hitting him at any point he recovers all his health.

I've never gotten past level 7 or so and this makes me sad :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that battletoads pretends to be a beat em up game for like a couple levels and then it just goes batshit and never stops.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I've never gotten past level 7 or so and this makes me sad :(

There's a level with nothing but steep slopes and ice physics so if you fall off at any point it starts you back at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Battletoads isn't "straight up bad" dude come on. Sure they aren't the best beat-em-ups out there, but they're still playable and can be fun despite their flaws. Also you forgot Blast Corps hth

I dunno man, to me the idea of Battletoads was always way better than the experience of playing it. The best Battletoads game is the Arcade one, because that's just a straight brawler with a single space shooter sectionr, and the second best one is Battletoads and Double Dragon, because that one has the least gimmicky non-brawler stuff, and neither is obnoxiously hard like the "real" Battletoads games. Those are also the only games where you can pick all 3 of the Toads instead of being stuck with just two of them.

I feel like both Battletoads and Battlemaniacs' kitchen sink approach leads to every different gameplay section being worse than it would be in a game dedicated to the genre it's aping, likely due to how it inevitably splits dev time all over the place.

BTW, the devs wanted to purposefully make Billy and Jimmy sucky to play as in Battletoads and Double Dragon so that people would pick the Battletoads instead, until their boss told them to knock it off.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 20, 2017

• Locked thread