Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

WhiteHowler posted:

Newbie permagroup blind dungeon run: The Aery
Update on this. We went back into The Aery tonight with slightly better gear and a lot more determination.

We blitzed through the first two bosses without any trouble whatsoever.

Then Nidhogg.

The first attempt, we had poor timing and our healer got hit by the sable price literally AFTER Nidhogg took off. It only took us a few extra seconds to fix it, but by then we were behind on the spawns. We didn't rush over to the dragon that lands across the room, and actually killed the last dragon first. We didn't even get him down before Nidhogg nuked us.

The second attempt went much better. We DPSed Nidhogg so hard that we never got a second sable price before he took off. We used our limit break on the pack of weenie drakes, and then the MNK and I ran over to where the second-to-last dragon drops in. He died so fast that we had to wait several seconds for the last one to drop on Estinien. He melted quick, and we gathered in the shield with time to spare.

From there, we just beat the holy living poo poo out of Nidhogg. We decided that it's "mandatory" to wear the Nidhogg Slayer title for the next week or so. Seriously, gently caress that guy.

I've already done the quests to unlock The Vault, but it may be slightly delayed since two of our FC members are only level 56. If they won't do their daily roulette, I'll drag them through PotD or something this week.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice on the Nidhogg battle. It was just a matter of position a bit better than we'd done previously, and I'm sure a couple of gear upgrades didn't hurt either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Thundarr posted:

I don't get why somebody would pay $30 for that thing and then sell it on eBay for $18 :psyduck:

Or were there promo sale codes for it at some point that I never heard about?

Sellers outside the US, currency manipulation I believe. There's a handful of stores on ebay that sell xiv store poo poo

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

WhiteHowler posted:

I've already done the quests to unlock The Vault, but it may be slightly delayed since two of our FC members are only level 56. If they won't do their daily roulette, I'll drag them through PotD or something this week.
This is a serious question: When you do it, can you take a partywide poll to find out what they think the final boss is saying during the fight? Assuming you all have English audio on.

(I've seen a lot of people get it wrong, sometimes in humorous ways.)

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

WhiteHowler posted:

Update on this. We went back into The Aery tonight with slightly better gear and a lot more determination.

We blitzed through the first two bosses without any trouble whatsoever.

Then Nidhogg.

The first attempt, we had poor timing and our healer got hit by the sable price literally AFTER Nidhogg took off. It only took us a few extra seconds to fix it, but by then we were behind on the spawns. We didn't rush over to the dragon that lands across the room, and actually killed the last dragon first. We didn't even get him down before Nidhogg nuked us.

The second attempt went much better. We DPSed Nidhogg so hard that we never got a second sable price before he took off. We used our limit break on the pack of weenie drakes, and then the MNK and I ran over to where the second-to-last dragon drops in. He died so fast that we had to wait several seconds for the last one to drop on Estinien. He melted quick, and we gathered in the shield with time to spare.

From there, we just beat the holy living poo poo out of Nidhogg. We decided that it's "mandatory" to wear the Nidhogg Slayer title for the next week or so. Seriously, gently caress that guy.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice on the Nidhogg battle. It was just a matter of position a bit better than we'd done previously, and I'm sure a couple of gear upgrades didn't hurt either.

I look forward to hearing your report on The Vault. In my opinion, it's a huge jump up in difficulty from the prior dungeons.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So Corsair is giving away a Fat Chocobo sculpture PC thing.

https://twitter.com/CORSAIR/status/833368299131985920

Also, someone uploaded a "making-of the Samurai costume" video to Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpRbBqHaCaM Looks like it was ripped from the stream.

I still can't get over how ginormous that tsuba is.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 20, 2017

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

I look forward to hearing your report on The Vault. In my opinion, it's a huge jump up in difficulty from the prior dungeons.

Same.

At least there it's just mechanics, no DPS checks.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Technically there's a DPS check in the middle of the last boss of Vault, but it's laughably easy and I'm pretty sure you live even if you gently caress it up.

Your healer will, however, probably be cursing at all of you by the end though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This is.. kind of horrifying.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thundarr posted:

This is.. kind of horrifying.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Vault is probably the hardest leveling dungeon in HW.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
breaking chains is a difficult mechanic for pubbies

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Does the Archon chair play any specific song? Im almost at 750k MGP and im thinking of getting it over the Fenrir mount.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Vil posted:

Technically there's a DPS check in the middle of the last boss of Vault, but it's laughably easy and I'm pretty sure you live even if you gently caress it up.

Your healer will, however, probably be cursing at all of you by the end though.

Did some drunk vault runs tonight. can confirm that we had two orbs up when boss boomed and we lived. because i'm pro heelz :c00l:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Also, someone uploaded a "making-of the Samurai costume" video to Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpRbBqHaCaM Looks like it was ripped from the stream.

I still can't get over how ginormous that tsuba is.

Is it just me

Or

Is the fat chocobo

Kinda

Tasteless?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

vOv posted:

The Vault is the dungeon that taught me how to time defensive cooldowns for tankbusters.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vOv posted:

I never really had a problem healing it beyond the first time.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

All of the new info from frankfurt inspired me to have a go at making some glamours based on the new jobs.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
What's the RDM one? It's cute. :3:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I finally figured out why the SAM weapon's tsuba annoys me so much.

I was loving rubbish at this. Kept getting beat by this one neighborhood kid, but couldn't figure out how to beat him back.

Baseless speculation of mechanics just from watching poo poo: Cyan's SwordTech bar is a mechanic. Completing weaponskill combos will pre-charge it so activation is instantaneous, or you can manually hit a button which will fill the bar the rest of the way to the next breakpoint and then fire.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 20, 2017

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

What's the RDM one? It's cute. :3:

Old World Rod
Cashmere hat of casting
Sky Pirates coat of casting
Cotton work gloves
Militia tights
Raptorskin thighboots

Oxygen Deficiency fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 20, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Skype Pirates coat of casting

There's a joke here somewhere.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

There's a joke here somewhere.

The joke is that I probably should double check when phone-posting.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Old World Rod
Cashmere hat of casting
Sky Pirates coat of casting
Cotton work gloves
Militia tights
Raptorskin thighboots

Thanks!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kuai posted:

Does the Archon chair play any specific song? Im almost at 750k MGP and im thinking of getting it over the Fenrir mount.

It plays generic mount music. Forget if it's generic flying or generic ground, but it's one of the two. However, same can be said of Fenrir.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Vil posted:

It plays generic mount music. Forget if it's generic flying or generic ground, but it's one of the two. However, same can be said of Fenrir.

Generic flying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fenrir's a good mount, I still use him or the broom as my primary interchangeably, but it's really common now so it's a bit lame to see it often. I'd probably go with the chair over it now if my race/gender setup has a good sitting pose in it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Tortolia posted:

I like PLD and look forward to seeing how the skill consolidation and revamp affects the experience.

I also like Blitzball and look forward to seeing how they integrate it here. Hopefully it has more staying power than Verminion.

Unrelated note, I want to give props to folks who beat Thordan EX back in 3.1, because that is a hell of a fight.

It didn't feel too bad. Pillars were the biggest pain the dick. Especially during the phase where you have to turn away and be in the right pillar.

Fister Roboto posted:

It's true that any composition can beat all the fights in the game - eventually. The problem is that doing less raid dps due to your composition can slow down your progress, and could make a difference of weeks or even months in how long it takes you to beat a fight, depending on your raid schedule.

Super late quote but I don't read threads on the weekends. But this right here sums it up. We ran a monk with our savage a1-3 group but he eventually switched to ninja because it brought more to the table and it was noticeable.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Fenrir's a good mount, I still use him or the broom as my primary interchangeably, but it's really common now so it's a bit lame to see it often. I'd probably go with the chair over it now if my race/gender setup has a good sitting pose in it.
lol if you don't use Whisper-a-Go-Go full-time

Bomb Palanquin also acceptable. I wish the lesser ponies flew and not just Kirin because Kirin is way uglier.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bomb Palanquin is quality but Broom is best mount by a country mile.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Bomb Palanquin is quality but Broom is best mount by a country mile.

Also the fastest mount, along with my red chocobo.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Axel Serenity posted:

I do not. I joined during the Winter Sale on Steam, so I missed the boat on the Gordias Savage stuff people keep talking about. At least I think that's what gave people issues, from my understanding?

Having cleared a3s before 3.1 and having done hard wow content. 0 light yogg. Heroic lk25man 15% damage buff. Majority of mythic black rock. I can say a3s was on par with the hardest wow content imo. It was also exacerbated by the fact cool downs didn't reset, pots had 5 min cool downs. And the game expected near perfect play from every single person the entire fight. Not even wow has that kind of requirements beyond the world first raiders doing poo poo in less then stellar gear.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Truga posted:

Also the fastest mount, along with my red chocobo.

Man I'd pay $60 for a red broom. My wallet is waiting SE!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I'm pretty sure them saying "DPS meters make the community toxic" is easier for us to stomach then. "Too hard to do." "It will be in soonTM".

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Yesterday, while Chicago was having record highs for February, I spent 30 minutes trying and failing to make the jump for the Ixal logging camp sightseeing log.

I need help.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

lol if you don't use Whisper-a-Go-Go full-time

Bomb Palanquin also acceptable. I wish the lesser ponies flew and not just Kirin because Kirin is way uglier.

I wish the lesser ponies flew because I would farm out the ramuh horse and use that exclusively for the music

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

Yesterday, while Chicago was having record highs for February, I spent 30 minutes trying and failing to make the jump for the Ixal logging camp sightseeing log.

I need help.

One tip I read that helped me was going to system settings and changing framerate cap to 15 FPS. I went from being just short to hitting it and flying off consistently, which was a lot easier to change into sticking the landing.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SirPhoebos posted:

I need help.

On the bright side, that's the worst jump of all the vistas. Can only get better from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

I need help.

It's a bitch. Limit the framerate, but if you are facing the log pile you want to try to jump over from the front left corner. Google that sightseeing log number for examples.
The sightseeing log tracking site, while great on the whole, tries to have you jump over from one of the rear vertical logs and it's a real bastard to try to do.

Still took a bit of time that way but I had it in under 10 mins from the front corner.

• Locked thread