Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
Turns out the guy who's the listed contact on the local club's site a) has asked repeatedly not to be listed as a contact on the site, b) is quitting coaching this season anyway and c) even he doesn't know what's happening with the lower division teams, so I figure I'll just turn up and train with the pizza/beer guys again, at least if my legs stop aching in time. Didn't warm down properly and didn't have a chance to warm up at all, and man, am I regretting that now.

The lack of any organisation is kind of terrifying and kind of liberating. Is this be something I should be more worried about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Arquebus posted:

Turns out the guy who's the listed contact on the local club's site a) has asked repeatedly not to be listed as a contact on the site, b) is quitting coaching this season anyway and c) even he doesn't know what's happening with the lower division teams, so I figure I'll just turn up and train with the pizza/beer guys again, at least if my legs stop aching in time. Didn't warm down properly and didn't have a chance to warm up at all, and man, am I regretting that now.

The lack of any organisation is kind of terrifying and kind of liberating. Is this be something I should be more worried about?

Nope, this is literally the experience of pretty much every Sunday league club in the universe, more so in Australia. Worst case scenario just talk face to face with whoever is running the sessions you've been showing up to and ask what they want you to do

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
Alright, cheers! Legs too hosed for tonight but I figure I'll show up more prepared for next week. It's a couple of months until the season proper starts apparently and a couple of weeks until who goes into which division is actually finalised, so I figure there'll be time to get vaguely decent. Or at least diligently poo poo.

Kind of curious what position they'll stick me in, honestly. Back when I was a kid representing my school I'd throw myself into defensive midfield and just kick everything within range really hard...

When's your cup match?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yeah that sounds like every football team I've ever been a part of in Australia

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Arquebus posted:

Alright, cheers! Legs too hosed for tonight but I figure I'll show up more prepared for next week. It's a couple of months until the season proper starts apparently and a couple of weeks until who goes into which division is actually finalised, so I figure there'll be time to get vaguely decent. Or at least diligently poo poo.

Kind of curious what position they'll stick me in, honestly. Back when I was a kid representing my school I'd throw myself into defensive midfield and just kick everything within range really hard...

When's your cup match?

Noice, even a month is shitloads of time to get yourself ready if you're even half keen. Just make sure you're putting the effort in now to give yourself the best opportunity, if you're huffing and puffing at the end of each exercise or drill I guarantee you'll improve fast as hell. The DOMS and joint pain (assuming it is just DOMS and joint soreness and not injury) will go away in the next week or two as well.

Cup match is the 18th of February! I'm pushing myself hard to make sure I'm in the starting XI since the cunts in front of me are pretty handy and I'm coming off a year of being injured and dead.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Had the best offensive game of my indoor career last night, scored 4, set up two more. Also got up-ended by a sliding keeper when I was chasing that third goal.

Definitely feeling the dent in my leg this morning. Worth it

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
for the 11v11 team i'm on, we lose 90% of our games with us only having like 20% possession.

the manger needs to either recruit better players or players that can play specific positions but he pretty much accepts anyone who asks him to join the team. it's frusturating as hell when we get a new player and he doesn't improve the team :(

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Geno posted:

for the 11v11 team i'm on, we lose 90% of our games with us only having like 20% possession.

the manger needs to either recruit better players or players that can play specific positions but he pretty much accepts anyone who asks him to join the team. it's frusturating as hell when we get a new player and he doesn't improve the team :(

Are you a club? And does your league have divisions? We usually give new blokes a look in at training but if they're shithouse down to the ressies or thirds they go

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Tongues posted:

Are you a club? And does your league have divisions? We usually give new blokes a look in at training but if they're shithouse down to the ressies or thirds they go

naw, just your average recreational team

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I get a red card for fighting in my last game and am banned for the rest of the season :downs:

I play up front and their centre back had been kicking lumps out of me all game so I squared up to him and he just started throwing. It's been a long time since I've been in that situation so it kinda took me a couple of punches to the head to actually react. I managed to throw him on the ground and get a few punches in before it got broken up. Surprisingly I had no bruises or anything after and he had a couple of nasty welts on the side of his head. While I felt tough for a few minutes it kinda subsided into embarrassment.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

2 preseason training sessions in and the fitness is starting to come back.

Although now I'm torn; we've finally got some cash and I can afford to get lasik so I can see without glasses/contacts but this will likely knock me out of playing for a month. The season is a bit over a month away (I think) so I can probably squeak it in, although I'll miss the preseason.

So torn about whether to do it...

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Ewar Woowar posted:

I get a red card for fighting in my last game and am banned for the rest of the season :downs:

I play up front and their centre back had been kicking lumps out of me all game so I squared up to him and he just started throwing. It's been a long time since I've been in that situation so it kinda took me a couple of punches to the head to actually react. I managed to throw him on the ground and get a few punches in before it got broken up. Surprisingly I had no bruises or anything after and he had a couple of nasty welts on the side of his head. While I felt tough for a few minutes it kinda subsided into embarrassment.

I'm glad you belted the fucker back one, cunts who play to injure others usually don't expect to have to back it up. My last brawl ended with me getting a yellow card and us making a police report because the league is useless.

iajanus posted:

2 preseason training sessions in and the fitness is starting to come back.

Although now I'm torn; we've finally got some cash and I can afford to get lasik so I can see without glasses/contacts but this will likely knock me out of playing for a month. The season is a bit over a month away (I think) so I can probably squeak it in, although I'll miss the preseason.

So torn about whether to do it...

I've got no advice to give for this except to say that playing with glasses/contacts/goggles or whatever seems miserable as soon as there is the slightest hint of moisture

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
Oh, Tongues, how'd the Cup match go?

For my part it turned out that the guys I'd been training with had actually completed signups a week before I'd showed up lmao
But there's a side that plays at my university and they hadn't even formally started registration, so I managed to go with them. Fortunately their shittest side is of a level that I'm comfortable competing at with all of four training sessions under my belt. Now that preseason's shifting from pure fitness and small-sided matches to more game situations I'm finding out that playing as a defender loving owns, especially with a more experienced guy alongside to give me occasional reminders of where to stand. That said, had a stint at leftback (I'm right-footed so it wasn't the natural position) and it was a little tougher to figure out when to hold and when to push up to mark, since I was up against a fairly floaty right winger... but that kind of match awareness will come with time and experience, most likely.

Playing as centre-back was great but I'm kind of a midget at 5'6" so I figure rightback's the most likely place when the season actually starts.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Arquebus posted:

Oh, Tongues, how'd the Cup match go?

For my part it turned out that the guys I'd been training with had actually completed signups a week before I'd showed up lmao
But there's a side that plays at my university and they hadn't even formally started registration, so I managed to go with them. Fortunately their shittest side is of a level that I'm comfortable competing at with all of four training sessions under my belt. Now that preseason's shifting from pure fitness and small-sided matches to more game situations I'm finding out that playing as a defender loving owns, especially with a more experienced guy alongside to give me occasional reminders of where to stand. That said, had a stint at leftback (I'm right-footed so it wasn't the natural position) and it was a little tougher to figure out when to hold and when to push up to mark, since I was up against a fairly floaty right winger... but that kind of match awareness will come with time and experience, most likely.

Playing as centre-back was great but I'm kind of a midget at 5'6" so I figure rightback's the most likely place when the season actually starts.

We got dumped out first round on pens! 1 nil down at about 89 minutes, the other side very graciously scored an own goal for us a minute later. It was pretty rough, the bloke who missed his pen went home straight after the match so we've all been getting around him as much as possible.

And playing in defence is loving ace if you've got a keeper and centrebacks who are good at organization. I mean no one watches matches to see defenders play but jesus it is fun to shut down prima donna strikers as a unit

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Ewar Woowar posted:

I once shoved a kid to the ground for running me into a wall with 2 seconds left in the first half. That day I learned blue cards exist. Had to sit for 3 minutes.

Thanks for listening

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thanks for reminding me about blue cards, I had forgotten they existed.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
gently caress is a blue card?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

In our stupid Queensland league dangerous slide tackles are illegal (as if they weren't already) and punishable with a blue card. If you get one you have to go off (sub allowed) for 5 minutes. If you get a second one it's a red card.

Nobody there can explain to me why the gently caress this is different to a yellow card (except the forced sub) and they just stare at me slackjawed when I tell them how loving retarded it is.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
In the indoor leagues I've played in a blue card is 2 minutes off the field with no sub, like a hockey penalty.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
I once got a yellow card in futsal for standing on the spot so that the other couldn't take a quick kick. Little bitch squealed to the ref and nothing came of the now delayed free kick. I guess my point is that indoor is full of poo poo rules, I think I gave away a penalty once for passing back to my keeper?

Indoor can get hosed

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Yeah I think people who stand an inch away from you when you're taking a corner and pass back to their keeper all the time are the real heroes of 5 a side

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Tongues posted:

I once got a yellow card in futsal for standing on the spot so that the other couldn't take a quick kick. Little bitch squealed to the ref and nothing came of the now delayed free kick. I guess my point is that indoor is full of poo poo rules, I think I gave away a penalty once for passing back to my keeper?

Indoor can get hosed
Oh honey, bless your heart.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Actually futsal owns

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Here is an exhaustive list of all the reasons indoor is more fun than outdoor

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I sent someone to the blood bin today because im a big man. then i sent in a real zinger of a cross for the cf to pull it back to 2-1 with 15 mins to go. My next crosses went straight up into the air, sliced out for a goal kick and dribbled to the near post but it was an enjoyable and rare outing on the right wing.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Breath Ray posted:

I sent someone to the blood bin today because im a big man. then i sent in a real zinger of a cross for the cf to pull it back to 2-1 with 15 mins to go. My next crosses went straight up into the air, sliced out for a goal kick and dribbled to the near post but it was an enjoyable and rare outing on the right wing.

gently caress man that's not a bad run on the wing with your legs still recovering (I'm assuming?). Last time I put in for a shot on goal it went out for a throw

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Tongues posted:

Here is an exhaustive list of all the reasons indoor is more fun than outdoor

Sometimes there's a bar

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Bobby Digital posted:

Sometimes there's a bar

Point conceded

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tongues posted:

gently caress man that's not a bad run on the wing with your legs still recovering (I'm assuming?). Last time I put in for a shot on goal it went out for a throw

I think you're confusing Breath Ray with Soulex.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Shrapnig posted:

I think you're confusing Breath Ray with Soulex.

All you honkies look the same

cheers, that appears to be the case

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I once got a red card for yelling abuse at a referee during a tense tournament match. I was on the subs bench so no harm done. It was weird because I'm usually the one calming everyone down when things get heated

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

My team had a 5 a side match last night. With about 15 minutes to go, we were 4-2 up and our keeper was jogging along the byline to retrieve the ball. The other team had knocked it up there into the corner so there was no real need for him to rush, or to keep it in or anything. As he was stopping it, his standing leg went from under him (it had started raining not long before kick off, and rained on and off through the match). He was obviously in a lot of pain, holding his elbow (which has been bothering him for a few months anyway). We helped him off and after the match brought him down to the closest medical centre. Turns out he suffered a dislocation and a fracture of his elbow. I felt so bad for him. I think he was in a bit of shock in general, but he (understandably) seemed pretty upset about it. He's had a few bad injuries in the past few years, achilles tear and a knee injury I think. Just seems a really lovely run of luck for the guy.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
I haven't played association football since high school, where I was cut from the Varsity team to make room for Chad Barrett and Darwin Barney.

Instead, I've been a referee for nearly a decade, but I've decided to play in an affiliated league again.

I was asked to join a supporter's club and placed on a team, but I decided to no show / no call for a couple weeks this Winter in favor of filling referee spots and getting paid.

Now I've been asked to fill in on another team on the club... what will end up being local USASA Open D3.

When I played this Winter I was CB / LB, every time I played we started out winning and ended up losing because of goals scored on my mistakes.

Anyways, I'm playing again this Sunday. I hope I don't hurt or embarrass myself (too much...)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

If you haven't played soccer in 15 years you probably shouldn't be playing in an open division unless the standard is really low.

That's not a knock on you or anything but chasing around 18 and 19 year old kids straight out of high school isn't great if you're playing as a defender who hasn't played competitively in over a decade.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yay we had our first trial game of the season :D

less yay, we lost 5-1.

even less yay, I now have a 8"x4" sickly yellow/green bruise across my chest from when I went up to punch away a corner and one of the strikers just sprint-jumped straight into me with an elbow cocked at my chest.

even less less yay, my punch sprayed the ball to the left and they tapped home whilst I was flying backwards into my own net :D

On the other side, it's great to be back out there for another year!

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

That's not a knock on you or anything but chasing around 18 and 19 year old kids straight out of high school isn't great

I enjoy it. I used to be a relatively quick winger in my younger days and I'd always come up against old slow centre backs who'd pull my shirt, block my runs, clip my ankles and all other sorts of nigly poo poo. Well now I'm one of them and I have to say it's pretty great. If you don't enjoy muscling some little punks off the ball and them whinging to the ref about you being a oval office then you don't know what you're missing.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

Shrapnig posted:

If you haven't played soccer in 15 years you probably shouldn't be playing in an open division unless the standard is really low.

Thanks, coach!

Ewar Woowar posted:

I'd always come up against old slow centre backs who'd pull my shirt, block my runs, clip my ankles and all other sorts of nigly poo poo. Well now I'm one of them and I have to say it's pretty great. If you don't enjoy muscling some little punks off the ball and them whinging to the ref about you being a oval office then you don't know what you're missing.

I enjoy that you don't need a huge amount of technical ability to play as a defender. I don't have to be bigger, I'm just faster and think a little quicker. Also dirty as gently caress.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Bio-Hazard posted:

Also dirty as gently caress.

Body odor is an excellent way to keep strikers off their game.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Felt my foot start hurting about after making a diving save at the beginning of last night's game. Struggled on through the game, foot quite painful, and checked it this morning.

Ok, that explains why all my kicks made me want to throw up a bit.

Had a good game, though :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
do you have a bigger version?