Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Gohan does not have the hardened heart of a salaryman as he puts spending time with his family over getting a promotion.

In retrospect, that feels a bit unusual for a Japanese kid cartoon.

That probably has to do with Gohan being part of the main cast and not just an arbitrary relative of a main cast member whose relationship is the focus of a single arc before they disappear from the plot forever. The really weird thing about Dragon Ball Super which this ties into is the fact that it's a Japanese cartoon aimed at kids where nearly the entire cast is somewhere between their early 20's and their mid 40's with more leaning towards the latter end of that spectrum.

It's common enough to have a mostly-adult cast in superhero shows both in the West and in Japan, but, other than Gohan, the cast isn't literally running around cleaning up crime while dressed in tights and many of them aren't just old enough to have children, they actually are parents and grandparents. I'm having trouble thinking of any other shows (anime or otherwise) not explicitly aimed at adults where many of the main characters are happily-married adults with children. At the end of the day the focus is still more on the action and the comedy than the slice of life stuff, but it's still a really unusual cast and I wonder if it has to do with the generally lukewarm to outright hostile reaction Dragon Ball Z got when it tried to pass the torch to the younger characters during the Buu arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Japan is also rapidly aging and they have one of the lowest birth rates in the world. The kid market is drying up fast.

Reminds me of just how "adult" Pokémon Sun and Moon felt, and not in the sex and violence kind of way, but in the "I've got a wife and kids and mortgage" and "death is inevitable" kind of way.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Reinanigans posted:

Japan is also rapidly aging and they have one of the lowest birth rates in the world. The kid market is drying up fast.

Reminds me of just how "adult" Pokémon Sun and Moon felt, and not in the sex and violence kind of way, but in the "I've got a wife and kids and mortgage" and "death is inevitable" kind of way.

Isn't that overstated? Like, it is one of the worst birthrates but only marginally worse than somewhere like Germany?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

Isn't that overstated? Like, it is one of the worst birthrates but only marginally worse than somewhere like Germany?

Germany has immigrants though to make up the difference, glorious nippon does not.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

sassassin posted:

I mean...

Wikipedia posted:

Japan has the third lowest birth rate in the world (as of 2016), with only Saint Pierre and Miquelon and Monaco having lower births rates.[26] Japan has to deal with an unbalanced population with many elderly but few youth, and the situation is estimated to get worse in the future, unless there are major changes. The situation in Japan is also aggravated by the fact that unlike other East Asian countries (such as Singapore) it does not have a programme of immigration or foreign guest workers to help increase its young population and workforce. An increasing number of Japanese people are staying unmarried: between 1980 and 2010, the percentage of the population who had never married increased from 22% to almost 30%, even as the population continued to age, and by 2035 one in four people will not marry during their childbearing years.[31] The Japanese sociologist Masahiro Yamada coined the term "parasite singles" for unmarried adults in their late 20s and 30s who continue to live with their parents.[32]

Make of that what you will, but it really does feel like a lot of properties that were traditionally kid centered have grown-up in a way to reflect changes in demographics. Anecdotally, I've heard that WWE wrestling is less targeted at middle-school aged boys, and more at the middle-aged male crowd. Like I said, Pokémon feels like another example.

Now, this could also just be marketing people deciding to pander to a market with their own disposable income and cashing in on nostalgia. I'm not sure how much new, original programming is being made specifically to cater to the child market as opposed to say, 10-15 years ago. It just feels like a lot of the stuff people grew up with 10-15 years ago has "grown up" with them, rather than being allowed to end.

Who knows? Maybe there are no original ideas left, so they're just reviving old properties that were known to be successful. Gilmore Girls, Will & Grace, Full House, Girl Meets World all within the last couple of years.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Yokai Watch and a ton of toy anime exists so I'm not too worried for the kids.

Japan is screwed though if it doesn't allow immigrants soon (it may already be too late) and/or change its work life culture.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
My favorite character as a kid was Piccolo

He was a cool mysterious alien man with a drill laser, and a cape and big shoulder pads

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Yokai Watch and a ton of toy anime exists so I'm not too worried for the kids.

Japan is screwed though if it doesn't allow immigrants soon (it may already be too late) and/or change its work life culture.

They're a few short years away from having a fully-functional robot workforce that will take care of them, fight wars for them, and have sex with them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I love how Whis is never fazed by anything. He always has the same smile on his face no matter what.

I'm pretty sure Whis is high as gently caress at all times.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Rutibex posted:

I'm pretty sure Whis is high as gently caress at all times.

This would explain his constant obsession with finding the best food and eating it. Divine munchies?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lunatic Sledge posted:

My favorite character as a kid was Piccolo

He was a cool mysterious alien man with a drill laser, and a cape and big shoulder pads

He also filled the gaping void in my psyche where a father figure should have been :v:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Jedah posted:

This would explain his constant obsession with finding the best food and eating it. Divine munchies?

what if you were an immortal godlike angel...on weed???

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If Zen-chan(s) don't care about the rules, what's to stop U7 from entering Gotenks as a contender? Even alone, I still think Goten and Trunks would be better than Tien and Krillin. And I guess Roshi's power will be determined by how much magic weed he eats.

As a sidenote, my girlfriend and I started watching the subbed Dragon Ball from the beginning, and uh... wow they really censored out a lot of material when it came stateside. I couldn't believe the part where Goku slept on Bulma's crotch and goes "hmm... where's the dick and balls?" and removes her underwear. And the fact that he grabs people's crotches to see if they're a boy or girl. Goku is literally worse than Trump.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

seiferguy posted:

If Zen-chan(s) don't care about the rules, what's to stop U7 from entering Gotenks as a contender?

The five minute fusion limit, Chi-Chi, them being kids, Chi-Chi, this being a life/death tournament, Chi-Chi, etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gotenks is powerful but not really a good choice to go to when poo poo is serious because to have a solid power level (SSJ3) he has an absurdly short time limit and he's too childish to make effective use of that time limit.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also they made it clear the Tournament of Power will have rules of some kind (what kind of warped rules will spawn from Zeno's childlike mind is another matter). It's the exhibition match that is no-holds-barred.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Fusion is allowed but only if both sides get to pick who the other side fuses with

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kelp Plankton posted:

Fusion is allowed but only if both sides get to pick who the other side fuses with

Gokule's time to shine. :getin:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Gotenks was a failed experiment.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

projecthalaxy posted:

what if you were an immortal godlike angel...on weed???

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm pretty sure U9's angel.is completely stoned.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Once again, I'd like to point out it was telegraphed that Gohan was gonna win once they pointed out there'd be no standards for stopping a fight and that Lavender fully intends to kill Gohan.

They aren't gonna kill him this early in the arc.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
I don't understand why future trunks and future mai didn't just stay in the normal timeline. It's like they orchestrated everything as an excuse to keep future trunks around because he's popular and then just pulled a reason for them to go away out of their rear end.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Pureauthor posted:

I'm pretty sure U9's angel.is completely stoned.

The universe 9 angel looks like he's "in the quiet place," so you may be on to something. And Rou seems like Gowasu's complete opposite, don't you think?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

Once again, I'd like to point out it was telegraphed that Gohan was gonna win once they pointed out there'd be no standards for stopping a fight and that Lavender fully intends to kill Gohan.

They aren't gonna kill him this early in the arc.

Why not? Toriyama likes to gently caress with expectations. Its not like they can't wish him back with the Dragonballs. It also explains why they don't wish back someone stronger (like Golden Freezer or Cell). It would really make Goku coming home to explain his gently caress up hit even better, if he has to bring Gohans corpse back too.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Gohan isn't gonna die to the stupid Great Muta-rear end furry, he's not THAT much of a jobber.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well for one, the pacing of the arc would just about up and die. Two, Goku has a fight after this, and him just rolling into the next fight when his son is freshly killed is a level of callousness not even the Super version of Goku would be capable of, and three, it'd be pretty drat stupid to begin this arc where the stakes have the universe on the line and then break it off at the kneecaps by having a death and then undoing it almost immediately.

The whole "loving with expectations" argument is also pretty moot when the prevailing "expectation" is that "oh boy, Toei and Toriyama gonna do Gohan wrong again".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the first two fights are both gonna be about renewing your faith in characters that haven't done anything in ages so that they can lose in shameful fashion later on. gohan's not losing to the dog here

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Gohan will win and Goku will be like "on earth two out of three means you win!" and the Zenos won't care and will demand another fight, that's what's being set up

This is to hammer home that there are no rules but the whims of Zeno and this tournament will be a nightmare to be in

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The title of the episode is literally "Awaken your fighting spirit!" Gohan is gonna do exactly that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure someone will die in this match, and I don't think it will be Goku. They need to have a shot of Zeno giggling with delight as someone is murdered in front of him to really sell this arc.

A 3 for 3 blow out for Universe 7 isn't going in instill any dread in me.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rutibex posted:

I'm sure someone will die in this match, and I don't think it will be Goku. They need to have a shot of Zeno giggling with delight as someone is murdered in front of him to really sell this arc.

It's gonna be Krillin.

e: It's gonna be Krillin in the main tournament.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Rutibex posted:

The dread will come from universe 9 being wiped out because they lost all three matches and now universe 7 has established that they're the ones to beat

It's all a prelude to worse things

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

deadly_pudding posted:

It's gonna be Krillin.

I will be content if somehow Mr Satan dies from a random ricochet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rutibex posted:

My suspicion is that after the exhibition match is lost 3/0 Zeno is going to go "Well, that universe is boring" and nuke them before the tournament starts. That way you get both the creepy Zeno moment and way up the stakes.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well for one, the pacing of the arc would just about up and die. Two, Goku has a fight after this, and him just rolling into the next fight when his son is freshly killed is a level of callousness not even the Super version of Goku would be capable of

Gokus just gonna brutally murder the entire furry team with SSB Kaioken(perhaps blacks energy sword as well) and when the gods try to stop him Zeno 1 or 2 will be like "lets see how this plays out".

deadly_pudding posted:

It's gonna be Krillin.

It's gonna be Roshi. Old men kicking rear end means low life expectancy in shounen.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah, I'm kind of expecting several universes to be destroyed prematurely, if only because 120 separate fighters seems logistically difficult for a show to manage in an arc like this.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Goku (or anyone) pulling out more energy swords would be so cool. Everyone knows Kuwabara was the best.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of expecting several universes to be destroyed prematurely, if only because 120 separate fighters seems logistically difficult for a show to manage in an arc like this.

they aren't gonna show every fight. like the world martial arts tournament had a shitload of people in the prelims but we didn't see all of their fights because who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I definitely don't think universe 9 is getting out of this exhibition match. As for the possibility more getting the axe, I dunno, maybe after 9 just gets wiped some of the others get desperate and try to merc Zen right then and there?

• Locked thread